AVS Forum banner

DVICO TViX R3310?

62K views 428 replies 36 participants last post by  rantony 
#1 ·
#103 ·
They fixed some of the things you mention with firmware v1.6.8, however, created a bunch more, so v1.5.4 remains the latest release. I've been using mine for several months and agree with some of the comments. I don't watch what I'm recording, but really the red dot is unnecessary. I'm ok with the channel scan as I can get all channels without a rotator. However, I'm a minority and this really needs fixed. For signal strength 3 bars is channel break up and 5 bars max signal. On my Samsung STB 1 bar is fairly stable, 10 bars is full signal. 5 bars on the Samsung gives full signal on the R3310. For recorded functions look at the Record List posted for v1.6.8. It's not quite as fancy as a Satellite box but pretty good. Something else I'd like is another option to the clock setting. Some boxes you can select a specific channel as the one that corrects the clock. Some PSIP clocks are not very good, and manual setting runs fast about a minute a week. Recorded info sometimes picks up on previous program. Regarding the remote, I use a Harmony and prefer it over the standard remote. But if you used it all the time, I think you'd get used to it.

#105 ·
otacool,

Are using component video or HDMI? I'm currently using component video to Sharp Aquos and find things much better. I had an issue with 1080i HD channels showing upconverted 480i content in commercials. Using HDMI this still occurs, using component video doesn't happen. Maybe slight incompatibility with HDMI versions? Comparing tuners, R3310 not as good with weak channels as the Sharp Aquos tuner. For example, Sharp tuner 35-50% signals give reasonable picture with the odd break up, R3310 tuner not stable at all. Above 50% on the Sharp tuner, R3310 picture fine. I wouldn't say the tuner is bad as it is quite comparable with other TV's, it's just not as sensitive as the Sharp tuner. Overall, pretty good system. I like the multimedia functions for digital photos, and camcorder movies.

#106 ·
I did not try component yet. I'll do it later. I noticed, I have to set the output as 1080i in order to have the best result for any format of the original program.

Down-convert is really lousy. Up-converting is good if you set 1080i using HDMI cable. The R3310 tuner cannot compare with my Sony TV, or my DishPal plus converter box.

By the way, I am using the famous self-made coat hanger antenna. For R3310, I use two such antenna combined, and got good reception for all channels. One antenna is placed to get good reception for some channels, and the other one is placed to get good reception for other channels. I combined their output together with a (40-1000 MHz band) splitter (i.e., also a combiner) and feed to the R3310.

With V1.5.4, the scheduled recording is unreliable. Sometimes, it did not record, and sometimes it recorded just too long (forever if I did not stop it manually).

It is really a bad idea to put recorded files in to separated folders. It is too difficult to find a program to play quickly. Imagine, I have 50 channels, and thus 50 folders. I have to go though all these folders to find a prerecorded program to play. Also, it is bad idea: the folder name is just the channel name without the channel number. The channel names are often MHZ2, MHZ8, WJYD, FGDS, CYHK..... Who can make sense and like to remember such weird words.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacool /forum/post/16738467

It is really a bad idea to put recorded files in to separated folders.

I won't argue this point with you, but have you tried using the list of all captured programs that pops up when you press the bookmark key?

#109 ·
I did not explore bookmark in detail yet.

According to the manual, it won't help much for my case for that:

(1) limitation of 8 bookmarks and 8 files

(2) File has to be accessed first.

They should associated each medium file with some kind of attribute file which stores all the additional information (including the unlimited bookmarks), if they don't like to attach it to the original medium file.

More wish:

(1) When it boots up, it by default goes to the previous channel played, or any channel, in stead of staying at medium selection.

(2) The recorded file should remember/show the start time. It currently remember/show the end time, which is another bad anomaly to everybody else.

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacool /forum/post/16744975

I did press bookmark after I made the recording, and only one program I just recorded showed in the bookmark list for the first time I pressed the button. Other recorded programs are not in the bookmark.

This button is not useful to me at all.

How many recordings had you made since the last time you changed firmwares?

#114 ·
Well, I don't know if there's a limit to the number but I do know for certain that the R-3310 retains more than just the last capture in the DTV recordings list. So you must have done something to clear the list prior to that lone capture that you saw. If it wasn't a firmware update, then perhaps you performed a reset to factory defaults in setup??

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug79 /forum/post/16403764

The major fix for me would be if they took care of the FF/RW issue where these buttons flip out on a recording that is over 80 minutes long. I plan on recording some basketball soon and will test this out. The posted release notes for this firmware do not mention this bug at all, but Dvico has confirmed to me that it is a known problem.

So, did the 1.6.8 firmware fix the ff/rw/goto issue with files over 80 minutes?

I am also experiencing the same ffwd and goto issues with recordings larger than 80 minutes. If I use goto twice in a row, it will skip backwards 80 minutes then let me skip forward past the 80 min mark. From what I have experienced, starting a goto or ffwd operation before the 80 min mark will let you skip beyond the 80 min mark, but once you are past that mark, attempting to use either ffwd, rwd, or goto will cause the playback to skip backwards the 80 minutes.

Currently I am having to split recordings into 1 hr increments or just strip out the commercials altogether, but this requires transferring the files back and forth from the internal hard drive to the computer to split them.

#116 ·
Anyone know why the FTP link for the TViX is so slow? My transfers over FTP take about 5 times longer than through the USB.

Currently I have another computer sitting next to the TV just to connect up the USB cable and share out the USB drive over the network. Copying files from one computer to the computer that has the USB drive is about as fast as having the USB drive local, and definitely faster than the current FTP method available on the TViX.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere /forum/post/16763409

Currently I have another computer sitting next to the TV just to connect up the USB cable and share out the USB drive over the network. Copying files from one computer to the computer that has the USB drive is about as fast as having the USB drive local, and definitely faster than the current FTP method available on the TViX.

Network throughput is limited by the processor performance. Similar throughput limitations also apply to other Sigma-based media players.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson /forum/post/16765136

bfdtv--

What you say is correct; however, the R-3310 is not Sigma-based so it doesn't have the same pokey LAN-port hardware and I'm not sure what is the bottleneck in its FTP performance. I've asked DViCo for clarification and I'll pass along whatever I learn.

Thanks, that's good to know. Looking at their web site , I see the R2xxx and Rxxx use the Realtek RT1282 , while the M6500 and M7000 use Sigma SMP8635.

#120 ·
Hi All,

I'm a new member to this forum. I'm thinking of buying the R3310 and I'm interested in this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere /forum/post/16763409

Anyone know why the FTP link for the TViX is so slow? My transfers over FTP take about 5 times longer than through the USB.

Can anyone give me a benchmark on the time it takes to copy a big file to the unit using ethernet vs. USB? For example, a 4.7 GB DVD file. Is it one hour for ethernet and ten minutes for USB? What can I expect?

Thanks,

-Rob

#121 ·
FTP link is used for transferring small files, photos, MP3's etc. You can't transfer 4.7GB files this way as there is a file size limit in the FTP protocol. If you wish to transfer large files from the internal drive to an external drive or PC drive, you can do USB or Ethernet over Netshare. With Netshare you set up a network drive location on a PC and from the R3310 copy files from the internal drive to the external PC drive. I haven't timed transferring files but it does take a while. You have to remember these files are very large. A 30 min show is 2.5 to 4GB depending on bit rate. If you can have a PC close to the unit, USB is faster.

#122 ·
Thanks RustyHD. I see now that FTP isn't meant for transferring movie files.

Currently, I have an iomega Screenplay HD that only has a USB port. I can transfer a 4 GB VIDEO_TS folder between the Screenplay and a PC (Win XP) in under 3 minutes. Copying the same VIDEO_TS folder from one PC to another PC over my home LAN (wired) using shared folders takes just under 12 minutes.

Could I expect to copy that 4 GB VIDEO_TS folder from a shared folder on a PC to the R3310 over wired ethernet in about the same 12 minutes? I'm asking this because I read that the newer iomega Screenplay Pro (which I'm also considering) takes about 30 minutes to copy a 4.5 GB DVD folder over its ethernet port. That seems excruciatingly slow.

-Rob

#124 ·
Thanks for the data point, RustyHD.

So you're getting about 190 MB per minute, while the Screenplay Pro gets about 150 MB per minute. That says the R3310 is about 27% faster than the Screenplay Pro. Nice. Of course, it's still about 40% slower than a PC to PC transfer.

Thanks for your help.

-Rob

#126 ·
TPeterson,

PQ?

Your point about the power consumption is well taken. I'm nerdy enough already, I don't need a PC sitting next to my TV to reinforce the point.

By the way, I just ordered an R3310 from Digital Connection, so I'll find out for myself here how well it works.

-Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.