post #211 of 429 Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbell52 View Post

The disk did not show up as unformatted when I connected via USB.

If it didn't show up as unformatted, perhaps the R3310 didn't try to format it. If you put in a formatted HDD, it will use it as-is. But if it's not formatted in a way that the R3310 can use, I don't know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 429 Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere View Post

The blank screen issue I was seeing appeared after a week or so of using the 1.8.2 beta software. So far 1.8.2 release is working better.

Well it has been less than a week and I am seeing the same channel display issues under 1.8.2 release as I did under the beta. Is anyone else seeing the same issues with 1.8.2?

I ended up submitting the following to DIVCO:

I am having issues with channels going blank under the 1.8.2 firmware for the 3310. These are the same channels that have been working fine for the last 5 days or so since I installed the firmware. I experienced the same issue with the 1.8.2 beta firmware after a week or so of installation.

The issue starts out with one channel that stops displaying picture, sound and EPG information, usually after I have flipped through the channels a couple of times. Once I see the first channel go, cycling through the channels over and over in order causes the next channel to disappear when I get back to it on the next cycle. Eventually all channels are no longer working and I have to reboot the system to get the channels back. Viewing a recorded show and going back to HDTV did not bring back the channels.

For example, if I have a channel lineup of 2,4,6,7, and channel 4 stops working, cycling through 6, 7, 2, 4, and then back to 6 has both 4 and 6 not working, another cycle has 4, 6, and 7 not working, and a final cycle has all the channels not working.

If I skip over a channel in the cycle that immediately follows one that is not working, that channel will be working the next time through the cycle, but the channel I skipped to was not working. I also noticed that the channel information from the last working channel displays on screen for the non-working channel.

These channels work fine under the original 1.4.2 firmware.
post #213 of 429 Old 09-07-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgharrin View Post

I would not want to copy tp files or am I missing something?
I suspect copying is for another purpose?

I like to copy files to my TViX since I use my computer as one of my primary recorders. This way I can be playing files on my TViX while my computer is recording other shows. It also allows me to view recordings without having both the computer and TViX running.

If you do plan to copy files, I recommend getting a USB 2.0 card for your computer. You can get one for around $20 or so. USB 2.0 transfer is going to be much faster than network transfer. See previous postings in this thread for timing comparisons.

For drive formatting, I just plugged in my TViX as a USB drive and formatted it that way. It does take a while, but I don't remember it taking 18 hrs to do this. I thought it was closer to 5 hrs or so, but it is been a while since I did my 1.5 TB drive.
post #214 of 429 Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbell52 View Post

I was not able to get the R-3310 to format a fresh hard drive. I put in a 1.5T drive and let it run 15 hours and then connected via USB and looked to see if the hard drive was formatted. No drive showed up. The R-3310 provides no feedback indicating it was formatting. I ended up formatting it with the PC. It took some 18 hours.

I just tried (for the first time) putting an unformatted (250 GB) HDD into my R3310 (fw 1.8.82). When I tried to access the drive by selecting Movie from the main menu I was presented with a message that the internal HDD was not formatted and asked if I wanted to format it now. When I said yes, the message changed to one saying that formatting was in progress and that it would take "about 30 seconds". Less than 30 seconds later the message changed to "Formatting successed". Hooking it up to my PC confirmed that it was indeed formatted NTFS and preset with 3 folders: Photo, Music, and Movie.

What did you do prior to "let it run"? Did you see any messages about the HDD format?
post #215 of 429 Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere View Post

I like to copy files to my TViX since I use my computer as one of my primary recorders. This way I can be playing files on my TViX while my computer is recording other shows. It also allows me to view recordings without having both the computer and TViX running.

Indeed, it is nice not having to run both PC and TViX to view a show. However, you can also play back a recording from the PC's HDD over the LAN while it's recording one (or more) new shows.
post #216 of 429 Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, Dragon, I just discovered that I could wipe out all my TV channels by plugging in the USB cable to the PC and activating a host session there when the R3310 was showing timeshifted HDTV. Could your mysterious disappearing channels be due to some sort of similar user intervention?
post #217 of 429 Old 09-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Hey, Dragon, I just discovered that I could wipe out all my TV channels by plugging in the USB cable to the PC and activating a host session there when the R3310 was showing timeshifted HDTV. Could your mysterious disappearing channels be due to some sort of similar user intervention?

Friday was the last time I connected the USB, so I don't believe that is an issue. Usually I connect my USB up when the unit is off.

I did a little more debugging and found that typing in the TV station numbers, then shifting channels with the TV CH button had the channels showing up as blank again. I couldn't get the problem to happen just with the TV CH button, which is what I usually use.

After the problem happened again, I tried just deleting the bad channel, but that didn't work. Rescanning the channels seemed to clear up the issue for now. It may come back after another week or so. I am not sure why time would be a factor, but it seems to be part of the equation. I don't think it is due to the TV stations themselves, since my other recorders, one of them being the DivcoHDTV, are still working just fine after months of usage. The only time I had issues with them was when the big switchover happened in June and some of the stations changed their frequencies or PID information.

I am happy to report that rescanning your stations doesn't remove your timed recordings. I think the older version use to do that, or maybe it was the firmware reload I am thinking of.
post #218 of 429 Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm...all of these symptoms could be results of memory corruption. I wasn't able to replicate the wipeout that I reported a couple of posts back either.
post #219 of 429 Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:

What did you do prior to "let it run"? Did you see any messages about the HDD format?

I did not hook it up to the TV and try to access movies. That seems to be my problem with formatting. If it only took 30 seconds then it did not do a full format with surface scan. Even on new disks I prefer to do a full format. I have had new disks with bad sectors. All it takes is a single dust particle to create a problem. I would still recommend doing the formatting on the PC.
post #220 of 429 Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Modern HDD generally remap bad sectors on the fly, transparently to the user, so that full formatting/surface scanning is rarely necessary. But if wearing those suspenders with your belt feels good, Bill, don't let me dissuade you!
post #221 of 429 Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacool View Post

I ordered a Dish PalDVR 3 weeks ago, and am using it since then. It is way better than R3310 in term of DVR feature and signal reception. I temporarily retired my R3310 for OTA purpose.

Check out e-great M34A. If the R3310 can expose some of the functionality of this box (and it is only software changes) then the TVIX R3310 will be hard to beat.
post #222 of 429 Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Modern HDD generally remap bad sectors on the fly, transparently to the user, so that full formatting/surface scanning is rarely necessary. But if wearing those suspenders with your belt feels good, Bill, don't let me dissuade you!

Here is a good article on why you want to do a full format.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2329378,00.asp
post #223 of 429 Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

...and after you finish that "full format" do you see any "bad sectors" displayed by a DIR command...? I thought not. That's because the HDD firmware has already taken care of them and isn't relying on DOS/Windows/Linux/MacOS to mind the store. But, like I said before, you go ahead and wear whatever protective gear makes you feel good.
post #224 of 429 Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

...and after you finish that "full format" do you see any "bad sectors" displayed by a DIR command...? I thought not. That's because the HDD firmware has already taken care of them and isn't relying on DOS/Windows/Linux/MacOS to mind the store. But, like I said before, you go ahead and wear whatever protective gear makes you feel good.

I think you misunderstood me. The format the R3310 performs does not get rid of bad sectors. You need to do a full format on the PC/Linux to get rid of them. The formatting is handled by a combination of computer software and hdd firmware. For example, the hdd knows nothing about NTFS or FAT format. That is handled by the computer.
post #225 of 429 Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, you misunderstand. Until the HDD firmware runs out of spare sectors to swap into the place of any bad ones on the disk, neither PC nor TViX "gets rid" of them, because they never see them in the first place. And by the time DIR shows any bad sectors on a modern HDD it's time to get rid of the dang thing because it's clearly on the road to perdition.
post #226 of 429 Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Actually, you misunderstand. Until the HDD firmware runs out of spare sectors to swap into the place of any bad ones on the disk, neither PC nor TViX "gets rid" of them, because they never see them in the first place. And by the time DIR shows any bad sectors on a modern HDD it's time to get rid of the dang thing because it's clearly on the road to perdition.

Mmm, according to MS the sectors need to be found and marked prior to using the disk. I guess you could allow the R-3310 to do the format and then also have it run a check disk. Anyway, I am dropping the topic and will follow the MS recommendation.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302686
post #227 of 429 Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I note that the item you referenced was last "reviewed" in 2004. No doubt it was actually written in the dark ages of of HDD technology when the primitive on-disk firmwares of the day (10-MB MFM and whopping 30-MB RLL jobs, remember them?) didn't have the smarts or resources to remap bad sectors out of their available-sector tables. Happily, those days are long gone.

As I've already repeated, you go ahead and do the full formatting if you like. But if DIR then reports to you that it found bad sectors--dump that HDD asap, because it's a time bomb whose detonator has been ticking for some while.
post #228 of 429 Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 PM

anyone have luck in getting rid of the giant red dot on screen while recording? That is in need of a serious firmware update.
post #229 of 429 Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I personally don't watch things while recording, so I like the red dot to confirm that it's happening. I suspect that I'm in the majority on that, but for those who don't like it you may get DViCo to add an option to remove it by making your wishes known via the TViX My Q&A forum....
post #230 of 429 Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM

I could see that. It would be nice if they just put the indicator on the front display. Thanks for the tip on the forum.
post #231 of 429 Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 PM

I just got my R3310 from Digital Connection and have mixed impressions. Installed a 1GB WD Green hard drive and it was detected and formatted in about 30 seconds. I thought the R3310 would play MKV files but unfortunately I was thinking of a different TViX model. The interface menus are pretty snappy after bootup which takes about 20 seconds (longer than I would like but not terrible). My biggest disappointment is with the tuner - it pulled in all analog cable channels but not any of the ClearQAM signals. My cheap LCD TV discovers at least a dozen of the ClearQAM channels. I updated to the latest firmware hoping that would solve the problem, but still nothing after rescanning. I've read the manual (no mention of ClearQAM) and tried to search forums, but I haven't been able to find any help. If anybody has any hints, I'd like to hear them. If anyone is considering buying one and has a question, fire away.
post #232 of 429 Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

cybrdog--

The R3310 tuner definitely pulls in clear QAM as well as my Samsung HDTV set and any of my PC tuner cards. Did you let it finish both the ATV and DTV scans? What fw version are you running? Oh, and where are you?
post #233 of 429 Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM

TPeterson,

My R3310 arrived with firmware version 1.3.8. When it didn't find and ClearQAM signals, I suspected the firmware so I upgraded it to version 1.8.2. I performed a rescan but there were still no ClearQAM signals found. Whenever performing a channel scan, I let it go all the way to completion even though it takes quite a while (10 minutes maybe). I'm in Omaha, NE, US and have Cox cable. Any help is appreciated. If it may help to downgrade the firmware to 1.5.4, I can try that.
post #234 of 429 Old 09-23-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suggest that you try the earlier firmware, although I doubt that it actually will fix whatever is the problem that you're seeing. There are some reports in this thread of specific OTA channels not working, but none of clear QAM failing altogether.

Have you checked the Omaha cable thread here on AVS to see if others have had trouble with its QAM signals? There is still quite a variation across the U.S. in the way cablecos are handling this. But then you say that your LCDTV tunes them OK, so that makes cableco malfeasance less likely the issue. What does the TV display as the channel number for these?
post #235 of 429 Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 AM

TPeterson,

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll try downgrading the firmware tonight. Like you said, I really don't think it will help but you never know. I'll try to find the Omaha cable thread and do some reading there. The ClearQAM channels on my Vizio LCD television show up a 105-1, 105-2, 108-1, 108-2, etc.
post #236 of 429 Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

cybrdog--

OK, so it seems that your clear QAM channels either have no PSIP virtual channel information or the Vizio is ignoring it. One possibility is that the PSIP VC data are screwed up and the TViX is getting confused (by trying to use rather than to ignore them).

During the DTV part of the scan, does the 3310 give any indication of finding channels?
post #237 of 429 Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 PM

TPeterson,

I can't say I've intently watched the DTV part of the scan from beginning to end but I have not seen any indication of channel detection when I have been watching. I wouldn't doubt Cox has something screwed up. I haven't found anything yet in the local cable thread but there is over 200 pages! I'll rescan channels and watch for channel detection tonight and maybe even try downgrading the firmware and trying again. I'll post my findings when I'm done. Thanks again!
post #238 of 429 Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Not sure if this helps but on the OTA channels I noticed that the TV and DVD recorder picked the channels fine the 3310 picked up some of the channels. The tuner is not as sensitive as the TV. I added an amp to the signal now the 3310 works fine. Do you have splitters on the cable signal? Try running the cable to only the 3310 and see how it does. You may need to get an 4-way or 8-way amp. It should have a small gain per channel (4db). Don't want to over saturate the TVs.
post #239 of 429 Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 PM

TPeterson & billbell52,

Thanks for all your help...here is what I have found. I've tried all three release firmwares and watched the channel scan from beginning to end on all three and the TViX shows nothing for digital channels. I was going to try reseating the tuner module but I couldn't remove it (yes I moved the switch to unlock).

I have an amplifier for the cable signal and the TViX is on the shortest leg. I may try to move the TViX to the cable hooked up to the TV which detects the digital channels. I think there is something wrong with the TViX or the cable company is screwing something up.

I thought these forums were one of the support channels for Digital Connection (where I bought my TViX). Do they regularly monitor these threads?
post #240 of 429 Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

cybrdog--

How do the analogs on your cable look on the TViX? If they're relatively snow free then you can probably rule out lack of signal level as the culprit. But hooking up the unit to the cable that's working for the TV set is a good idea anyway to rule out some sort of strangeness in the cables.

Kei Clark, DC's owner, does often drop by here, but they have an 800# and email for regular customer support. The rest of us here are just enthusiasts like yourself.

There is also a well-monitored support forum at DViCo, called TViX MyQ&A Forum. If you register there and post questions you'll soon get a response--often right to the point of the problem--but sometimes the english-korean language barrier is a definite issue for problem resolution.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page