DVICO TViX R3310? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
First ... 7  8  9 10  11  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > DVICO TViX R3310?
billbell52's Avatar billbell52 09:04 AM 09-29-2009
I checked out the updated Dvico website and I see they are rebranding the wireless dongle from Mytek (6200C).

http://www.mytek.eu/product.php?cid=...4e3c8395d18b8f

Anyone know if or when this may show up in the US? I am using a Ethernet over Power solution now that seems to work ok but this would be better.

bananaslug79's Avatar bananaslug79 02:05 PM 10-01-2009
So I'm not sure if I blame the Tvix or Comcast for this latest one: last weekend I was getting two of my local HD stations shown as "no signal" on the Tvix. This is funny as I'm obviously using the cable tuner and not an antenna; I didn't even know you could have selective signals over a cable line! I haven't gone to any extremes on this one yet (like rescanning or anything to do with firmware) but I was just curious if anyone has seen this on their Tvix ever. It's a first for me, on the latest 1.8.2 f/w.
bfdtv's Avatar bfdtv 02:55 PM 10-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug79 View Post

So I'm not sure if I blame the Tvix or Comcast for this latest one: last weekend I was getting two of my local HD stations shown as "no signal" on the Tvix. This is funny as I'm obviously using the cable tuner and not an antenna; I didn't even know you could have selective signals over a cable line! I haven't gone to any extremes on this one yet (like rescanning or anything to do with firmware) but I was just curious if anyone has seen this on their Tvix ever. It's a first for me, on the latest 1.8.2 f/w.

Comcast periodically moves around their QAM channels. When that happens, you need to re-scan. Customers with cable company boxes and CableCard devices never deal with this, because the new QAM is always always remapped to the appropriate number in the cable company lineup (ex: channel 205 for FOX HD).

Many Comcast systems used to do remap theiR QAMs on a monthly basis, but now it rarely occurs more than a few times per year. If your system is in the midst of a digital transition, then it may occur more often.
dragonsphere's Avatar dragonsphere 10:47 PM 10-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug79 View Post

So I'm not sure if I blame the Tvix or Comcast for this latest one: last weekend I was getting two of my local HD stations shown as "no signal" on the Tvix.

Are they still showing up as "no signal" after power cycling the unit? If not, then it may be related to the issue I reported earlier on the channels blanking out. The good news is that you can do a rescan under 1.8.2 without losing your defined recordings or favorite channel selections.

On another note, I am also seeing recordings under 1.8.2 that are showing up with the station name instead of the EPG name. These same recordings are not playable on the unit, but play just fine off the PC using alshow.
M240-A1's Avatar M240-A1 10:31 PM 10-07-2009
My question is the the sound. For my setup I am to be expecting to connect the r2210 to my pico pocket projector that has a sound output of .5w without volume control. How loud of the output would I get in terms of for example of sound coming out max on a portable dvd player or is the setting high that all you need to do is lower the volume on the external display itself(e.g. tv, lcd). Sorry for just popping out of the blue
Clipse's Avatar Clipse 10:40 PM 10-07-2009
Does this thing record live HDTV via component like the Hauppauge 1210(1212) does?

I want to hook this up to a stb and record via beyondtv......
bfdtv's Avatar bfdtv 10:46 PM 10-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

Does this thing record live HDTV via component like the Hauppauge 1210(1212) does?

I want to hook this up to a stb and record via beyondtv......

No. This has a single built-in ATSC tuner. It doesn't record the output from another box.
bananaslug79's Avatar bananaslug79 01:44 PM 10-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere View Post

Are they still showing up as "no signal" after power cycling the unit? If not, then it may be related to the issue I reported earlier on the channels blanking out. The good news is that you can do a rescan under 1.8.2 without losing your defined recordings or favorite channel selections.

Yeah, like most station issues a rescan is what cleared it for me. I still don't know if the underlying issue is my cable provider or the Tvix, but we've been flying like a champ on stations since rescanning.
billbell52's Avatar billbell52 01:00 PM 11-02-2009
Is this thread still alive? I was wondering if anyone has heard of the next firmware update. 1.8.2 has the problem of recording consecutive shows. Dvico told me they were planning an update for this.
bananaslug79's Avatar bananaslug79 01:24 PM 11-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbell52 View Post

Is this thread still alive? I was wondering if anyone has heard of the next firmware update. 1.8.2 has the problem of recording consecutive shows. Dvico told me they were planning an update for this.

I hope it's still alive. I check it every so often.

I don't know of any upcoming firmware updates. While 1.8.2 has been solid for me overall (compared to previous versions), there are still some niggling issues. Occasionally channels still blank out for me, although I haven't had to rescan in a while. Usually a reboot clears random stuff like that, but it would be nice if Dvico could fix it. Their release notes for 1.8.2 indicated they were still working on some major features (simultaneous recording/watching was one of them I believe) so here's hoping they get to it. No betas in a while either...
Jason1976's Avatar Jason1976 05:36 PM 11-03-2009
I'm having the same problem recording consecutive shows. I thought I was going crazy!

Looking forward to the next update.
wuthrich's Avatar wuthrich 06:01 PM 11-05-2009
The consecutive shows problem is pretty simple really. When the first show records it still goes through the power-down countdown eventhough the next show has just started recording, thus giving you only 11 second of the show. All they have to do is disable the powerdown countdown when there are two timers back-to-back. In the mean time you can only get around it by ending the first show a little early and starting the second show a little late, leave around a five minute gap.
RustyHD's Avatar RustyHD 06:24 AM 11-06-2009
I have other tuner related issues with firmware v1.8.2 and use v1.5.4. I do back to back recordings all the time with no issues. One recording stops and a few seconds later the next starts. Do same channel and different channels with no issue. It's been 10 months since I purchased the unit and it works pretty well. A little disappointed that the firmware they've released since has been so buggy. I expected better.
ronenv's Avatar ronenv 03:17 PM 11-08-2009
I was using this box for about 5 months and had very few problems watching TV (of the air). Until yesterday where I tried to tune into channel 7 (abc). Once I did, the box rebooted after few seconds of video. I could watch all other channels and then going to channel 7 will crash again. I tried re-scanning the channel but that did not seem to help. Later in the evening I had no problem watching channel 7. Maybe, it was the video encoding format. In any case I think that we should be due for new version of s/w. I completely agree with you about the difficulty to record two shows back to back. In any case the timed scheduling is a problem due to clock skew and poor program schedule (limited only to that same day). Enabling NTP will help the clock issues.
Kei Clark's Avatar Kei Clark 04:46 PM 11-10-2009
Notified DVICO on the issues expressed above. Will update everyone if I hear anything.
ronenv's Avatar ronenv 04:26 PM 11-17-2009
Hi, I tried to view DVD by setting the DVD mode to smart (instead of normal). When selecting the TS_VIDEO the TVIX seems to be trying to play the movie (the minute counter cleared to 0000), but nothing happened. After few minutes I gave up and change the DVD setting back to normal. This enables me to play the VOB files directly but I can't control the menu (i.e. I can't select chapters and other options).
RustyHD's Avatar RustyHD 05:53 PM 11-17-2009
I'm using firmware v1.5.4 and have DVD's on both the internal hard disk and a network drive. Use Normal for DVD smart navigation. When you select, select Video_TS folder and then Video_TS.ifo file. Never have any problems, file works just like the original DVD. If your display is getting stuck with 0000, try pressing right arrow so it fast forwards 2x and then wait up to 30 sec. It might start playing normal. I have that problem sometimes on HD recordings.
RustyHD's Avatar RustyHD 05:35 PM 01-12-2010
Anyone know if there is any firmware updates coming up for the R3310. I've had it for a year now with the best functioning firmware being v1.5.4. I think its time they fixed some of the bugs.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 05:52 PM 01-12-2010
I agree. But I hear from DViCo that they're not planning a new fw for the 3310 for a while.

It wouldn't hurt to (re)post notes about bugs/issues that you have on the TViX MyQ&A forum. If there's enough noise about problems there I think DViCo will react.
dragonsphere's Avatar dragonsphere 10:16 PM 01-15-2010
I ended up going back to v1.4.2, since I like being able to view and delete the time shifting file. If I remember correctly v1.5.4 and above hide that file. I don't remember seeing any real improvements between v1.4.2 and 1.5.4.

I was running the latest v1.8.2 for a few months, but got tired of the lockup problems that version of the firmware had. It would lockup during the boot process trying to load the new menuing, lockup during viewing recorded files, and lockup or just not record some programs. This is on top of all the other issues like the inability to do back to back recording, and the need to refresh the channels every now and then when the unit starting blanking out the channels. None of these lockup issues existed under the older firmware versions like v1.4.2 or v1.5.4.

I think we are more than overdue for good, stable, working firmware version. Only v1.8.2 supports viewing of files larger than 80 minutes long, but it is not worth the instability to use this version. I would rather split the files on my computer then reload them back onto the unit. I have already reported these issues once to DIVCO with very little traction other than it will be fixed in the next version.

--
Michael
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 12:06 AM 01-16-2010
Michael, I hope that you're also "squeaking your wheel" again at the TViX MyQ&A Forum where DViCo will hear it directly.

I have not seen myself the instability problems that you describe although there are clearly some tuning issues that need to be addressed--and that are known in Korea. But if they don't hear any discontent it's likely that the fixes will be slow in coming.
dragonsphere's Avatar dragonsphere 04:47 AM 01-17-2010
I just posted a new entry on the lockup problem to DIVCO. I noticed that I hadn't posted that issue yet. I also asked them when we are going to get a stable firmware version for this unit.
RustyHD's Avatar RustyHD 06:14 PM 01-19-2010
I've posted on TVIX MyQ&A Forum several times for all firmwares after v1.5.4. They either mark answered with no answer, or we'll look into it. I don't see this form of communication working if they never give answers. Firmwares after v1.5.4 offered new features, never fixed old bugs and introduced new ones. I'm very surprised v1.8.2 was a public release. A lot of nice features but very unstable. They reintroduced tuner issues that were previously corrected. I don't think a year is unreasonable to expect bugs to be fixed. That said, I like the unit and use it all the time.
Kei Clark's Avatar Kei Clark 01:21 PM 01-20-2010
I've put in my request for firmware fix.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 01:29 PM 01-20-2010
Thanks, Kei, I'm sure that yours pulls much more weight than mine!
fast_tech_boy's Avatar fast_tech_boy 05:41 AM 02-15-2010
I had read this review before buying my Divco last week. After having the device for 3 days here is my experience with the product:

SYSTEM HARDWARE / SOFTWARE
--------------------------------
- Divco TVIX R-3300 with T441 twin HD tuner (R3330)
- WD 1T Green HDD (WD10EARS)
- Tried 2 500G and 250G to see if the fault was due to the hdd size.

STABILITY
----------
The device has very poor stability.
-There a number of circumstance when the device reboots. (explained in other section)
- Area above the T441 twin HD tuner gets a bit hot laser reading show 50 deg celsius in a 25 deg room
- Area antenna slot temperature with laser reader shows 40 deg in a 25 deg room.
- If you try to use network upload via FTP and the device is using other functions (not ideal) it reboots are random.

SYSTEM DATE/TIME
--------------------
- The day and time is inconsistent.
- I have tried both network-time (I think this is NTP) and tv-time.
- When changing channels the time shifts. Sometimes is 1 hour forward or 1 hours back.
- Time in the menu screen is out from the channel info screen.
- Time is important for EPG / schedule recording to record the correct show.

EPG FUNCTION
---------------
- The EPG is ok once system time is sorted out (manually set).

RECORDING FUNCTION
---------------------
- Long recording causes the box to become unstable (over 5 hours). During recording the Olympics I pressed the stop button. The device did not respond and then rebooted.

TIME-SHIFT FUCTION (recording / watching tv)
- Every time a new channel is selected the time-shift restarts. It does not continue from pervious channel. Although this may by design sometimes time-shift does continue form the pervious channel. So I'm not sure if this bug should or it shouldn't allot continues time-shift.

- When time-shift is enabled it can not be used to go back and record from beginning of a show. It does allow you to go back to the start of the show and watch it but as soon as you press record it looses time-shift and records live cast.

- When using time-shift the device is more likely to reboot or not function correctly. Eg: When recording a channel and swapping channels the device freezes.

- When using time-shift and you start to record the channel device may reboot at random.

- When using time-shift always on feature if you start the device fresh sometimes the HDTV does not function and the unit need to be rebooted.

SMART DVD JUKE BOX FUCTION
------------------------------
- The DVD Jukebox function can be used in two modes. List DVD files or Smart DVD. The Smart DVD function opens the DVD as if you had inserted it into a dvd player. The Smart DVD function works only with older type of DVD that don't have animated DVD menus. When the DVD goes into the menu the up/down/left/right enter button on the remote do not work and instead work as slowdown, rewind, fast forward, pause play etc. This makes the DVD jukebox faction useless.

WIRED NETWORKING
- When the device is powered from standby the networking sometimes does not function on the network.
- I disabled DHCP fixed the device ip address. Still sometimes on powerup the network is broken.
- When checking the wired information the ip address of the device IP address shows 0.0.0.0. By opening the network drive or using the TVIX network drive ping test button the network come back to life. This is very poor implementation.

WIRELESS NETWORKING
- Have not tired wireless. Don't have dongle.

FREEVIEW MISREPRESENTED
- On the cover of the box and website the devices show freeview. This is not endorsed by freeview Australia. The article below show 6600 but this is also for the 3300.

OTHER BUGS
------------
- The tuner performs a channel scan for all digital tv and digital radio channels. This can be recalled and modified using the GOTO button on the remote. I could delete the digital tv channels but the radio channels once deleted always come back. This is very inconvenient as I don't what to use radio.

- When it time-shift and you try to press record while watching a channel the (X) icon is displaued in the right hand corner shown followed by a flicker to a black screen and then the (FREE SPACE) icon. Without time-shift the (FREE SPACE) icon is shown and recording continues normal.

FEATURE USABILITY
--------------------
- When the device is powered up it does to the icon home screen. Not very useful if you what to watch tv.

- The device can record one channel while watching the second. But you can not time-shift (pause, rewind etc) the second channel or the channel that's recording.

- While recording most functions are disabled. Can not enter the main menu to look at movies, photos, music or other recordings. A screen shows up saying Time-shift or recording is running. Do you what to go out. Once you will yes the recording is lost.

DOCUMENTATION AND SUPPORT
------------------------------
- If you use a large HDD eg: 1000G you will need to used NTFS not FAT32. I had formatted my drive first using standard NTFS with very small sector size. So I reformatted the drive with 64K sector size as all the files on the disk will be very large.

- The device does not format the drive so this need to be done before you power insert the drive.

- The tvix does not create any additional folders other then PVR. You will need to create MOVIE, PHOTO, MUSIC. Not sure if there are any other AUTOSHARE etc. There is description in the book that I got with the unit.

- Considering that the firmware release has been done 3 times over 2 years its probably not going to be fixed soon.
- TVIX PVR R-3310 TViX R-3300 Series Public Firmware 1.8.2 20090820
- TVIX PVR R-3310 TViX R-3300 Series Public Firmware 1.5.4 20081231
- TVIX PVR R-3310 TViX R-3300 Series Public Firmware 1.3.8 20081031

CONCLUSTION
--------------
If the above problems are to be fixed by DIVCO it would be a good unit. There is no excuse for organisation to release a half working devices. For this reason this is not a very mature product. I'm starting to look at other alternatives.

DIVCO
------
I would like to see divco fix the issues above. For now I'm sharing my experience with everyone that's thinking about buying the unit.
ronenv's Avatar ronenv 03:03 PM 02-15-2010
I would like to thank fast_tech_boy for the clear description of the problems associated with the R33X0. I purchased it as a beta device and was expecting to receive improved software drops overtime. While there was one new software version (1.8.2) it left much more room for improvement in both quality and usability. It is a shame since I believe that the basic hardware has good quality and feature set. It is disappointing that with the current open source availability there are companies that are still producing and releasing products with such low quality. Furthermore, as pointed out the company doesn't stand behind it product and fixing it.
Indeed, it is time to search for new alternatives
bfdtv's Avatar bfdtv 03:41 PM 02-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_tech_boy View Post

If the above problems are to be fixed by DIVCO it would be a good unit. There is no excuse for organisation to release a half working devices. For this reason this is not a very mature product. I’m starting to look at other alternatives.

Some of the "problems" you reference (time shifting, inability to do multiple things at once) are limitations of the hardware.

It has been said before, but it bears repeating. The low-cost hardware solutions for robust media center functionality are not capable of supporting robust DVR functionality. Similarly, the available, low-cost solutions for robust DVR functionality are not capable of supporting robust media center functionality. To get the best of both worlds, you need two separate boxes; with one box, you'll have to compromise on one function or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenv View Post

It is disappointing that with the current open source availability there are companies that are still producing and releasing products with such low quality. Furthermore, as pointed out the company doesn't stand behind it product and fixing it.
Indeed, it is time to search for new alternatives

There are a number of engineering challenges involved with any DVR product. That's one of the reasons we don't see more DVRs on the market.

Open source doesn't really help much, because embedded STB and DVR solutions are not fast enough to run general purpose code like a PC. They require highly optimized code tailored to the specific SoC (chip) platform. Very little of that is open source.
fast_tech_boy's Avatar fast_tech_boy 11:34 PM 02-15-2010
I'm not sure why you are defending an organisation that misrepresenting the product.

I do agree that if a feature is not listed on the website then it should not exist and it's probably a hardware limitation. But the divco / tvix website states that it can do recording, time-shift, epg and so on, and it should do this without rebooting. All features that cause the device not function correctly such as: date/time, record one channel while watching another, DVD juke box, etc, should not be advertised as they don't work correctly. These features should be stable and functioning. What's the point of having a recorder if it can not record a full show because it reboots. Simple things such as networking, time, recording, etc need to be fixed.

If we all think about it is just slack or unskilled programming. I was given the option to upgrade to 6600. But I don't have confidence in the 3300 with a 2 year old code base so the 6600 will probably go through the same cycle. If an organisation is not willing to support / fix a product that's broken for 2 years they probably will do the same with the new line of products.

If divco/tvix what to retain customers they need to identify, list and provide expected timeframe to fix the fault. Give me a reason to keep the current product and get the next one. Today customers look to forums to see if the products are good. I have provided my feedback so new customers can make an educated buying selection.
ronenv's Avatar ronenv 11:55 PM 02-15-2010
While I agree that building proper DVR has some challenges in particular when running with limited resources (CPU/memory etc..) I do not accept a poor quality product. If the resources are low things should take more time but never ever ever crash. Coming from the networking world I am definitely understand limited resources but my product will be thrown out the door if it will crash. There are many good example for consumer products that are using low power CPU (iPhone, GooglePhone etc...) while still maintaining good stability. Android is open source environment with many features that can save you guys lots of development time.

Other then the technical issues I am really surprised that you knowingly sells a product that has poor quality. This is not a good strategy to be successful company. You need to do some serious thinking there...
First ... 7  8  9 10  11  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop