Very Slow DirecTV HR22? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have three HR20s and one HR22 and the unmodified HR22 (no external eSATA hard drive attached) is very, VERY slow to respond to remote commands. It takes two to three times, sometimes longer, to respond than any of the HR20s, most of which do have extra eSATA drives, and it seems to be getting worse. It's a real pain. I've tried all the regular things ... Unplugging and restarting (no change),etc. Any other ideas, or is this is a sign the drive/unit is failing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark View Post

We have three HR20s and one HR22 and the unmodified HR22 (no external eSATA hard drive attached) is very, VERY slow to respond to remote commands. It takes two to three times, sometimes longer, to respond than any of the HR20s, most of which do have extra eSATA drives, and it seems to be getting worse. It's a real pain. I've tried all the regular things ... Unplugging and restarting (no change),etc. Any other ideas, or is this is a sign the drive/unit is failing? (The unit is hooked to an AM21 OTA tuner unit.)

You could try enabling 30-second skip:

press Menu
select Search for Shows
select Keyword
type in 30SKIP
move over to Continue
select Continue
select All
select Done

This did wonders for my HR22-100.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Poor remote responsiveness can be caused by IR interference from some LCD/plasma TVs and certain forms of room lighting.

The HR21/HR22/HR23 do have less memory bandwidth than the HR20, so they could be slightly less responsive, but the differences shouldn't be as significant as you suggest.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have an LCD or plasma (it's a Mits DLP) and we normally watch TV in a room with very low light--and none between the couch and TV--or in natural daylight (overhead lights used very infrequently). I tried enabling 30-second skip via the above directions, even though I was quite skeptical how it could help, but it did absolutely nothing.

A restart seems to help, briefly, and the unit seems to respond faster and more accurately when not recording anything, but it's still slower than my other HD DVRs--and not just slightly, but abnormally sluggish. (The lights on the front blink when I push the remote--so it is getting the signal, just not responding, or responding very slowly.)

If anyone has any other suggestions about how to remedy this, I'd love to hear them.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Most likely it is just the firmware for the unit. Some firmware versions tend to run slower on certain machines. Hopefully the next firmware update will make your unit respond better.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark View Post

I don't have an LCD or plasma (it's a Mits DLP) and we normally watch TV in a room with very low light--and none between the couch and TV--or in natural daylight (overhead lights used very infrequently). I tried enabling 30-second skip via the above directions, even though I was quite skeptical how it could help, but it did absolutely nothing.

A restart seems to help, briefly, and the unit seems to respond faster and more accurately when not recording anything, but it's still slower than my other HD DVRs--and not just slightly, but abnormally sluggish. (The lights on the front blink when I push the remote--so it is getting the signal, just not responding, or responding very slowly.)

If anyone has any other suggestions about how to remedy this, I'd love to hear them.

FYI...if you want to switch back to the 30 second "slip" then do a keyword search for 30SLIP.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM

This problem is a result of your AM21. It puts a huge burden on the receivers processor or bandwidth it appears to me. I say this because the same symptoms affect me. I have an HR22 that I needed an over the air for. My HR22 was fast and fine until I hooked the AM21 up to the receiver. Once I did that it put such a burden on the HR22 that all functions are now slow. This is a processor issue I'm sure...I say that because once I hooked the AM21 to the unit I could no longer stream video smoothly via the beta software for Windows XP. I could stream fine from both my HR20 and HR22 prior...now I can only stream from the HR20. The HR22 steams very choppy, and of course the remote control response sucks because the receiver misses commands when it's busy.

I sure hope DTV puts out a fix for this in the form of firmware or software updates. It's very poor engineering or software development. There is no reason is should take so much overhead to use a USB tuner...don't you think?

Marc Manuszak
Marc@Manuszak.com

Panasonic PT-AX100u
Yamaha RX-V2700
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM

These steps fixed my HR22. The guide is still a little slow displaying but changing channels and doing things inside the guide are fast now.

Clear NVRAM to speed up DVR performance:

Go to channel 1. Once the page is operating including audio, use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that order. This

must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in the

lower left. Turn "Scrolling Effects" to off. This is in the Display-->Preferences menu. Uncheck all of the resolutions under HDTV in the TV Resolutions

menu except 720p or 1080i and 1080p, depending on whether you have a 720/768 or 1080 TV or turn Native off.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
^
Thanks Scott just did it on both of my HR22's.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #10 of 18 Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 PM

^^^
+1, yes thanks Scott.

This immediately helped performance on my HR23.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is the reason i dont wanna lose the good box i have!!

They called a few months ago trying to offer me a FREE UPGRADE to a newer box (One of thiers) and i said NO.......

I dont want what happend to my Time warner box to happen to my DTV box. The one i have now IS SUPERB!!!!!!!!!

I dont have HD,i dont have 3DTV,i dont have a DVR and im not interested in any of it!! (Just un-needed crap slowing things down)

I hope susanandmark got thier problem taken care of

Welcome to the site Scott817!!
post #12 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

You could try enabling 30-second skip:

press Menu
select Search for Shows
select Keyword
type in 30SKIP
move over to Continue
select Continue
select All
select Done

This did wonders for my HR22-100.

Would this work on the hr20-700.Mine is acting real sluggish/slow response.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 PM

My neighbor and I have the same problem and spend over a month trying to fix it. Like most poeple in the planet, neither of us are using the IR remote option, so we knew that is a cheap excuse from DTV. After multiple useless calls to DTV and a lot of troubleshooting (on our own) we finally figure out the cause.
In a nutshell, the problem is that the DTV HD DVR software has problems with the Anynet+ feature included in most Samsung HDTVs and supported by most Blu-ray players. Even if you don't have a Samsung HDTV, chances are that one of the devices you have connected (ie: Blu-ray player or game console) may support the feature ... causing the issue.
I called DTV to report the cause and the tech support person agreed that the problem exist, but could not give me an ETA of when it will be fix. Looking at the forums and support info, it does not look like DTV has officially acknowledge the problem, so I will not hold my breath while waiting for a resolution.
Right now, the only known workaround to the problem is to disable the Anynet+ option on the TV and/or any device connected to it. But even that is not guaranteed because it depends on the ability of the device's firmware on actually turning off the feature.
Hope this info is helpful to others ... because it took us months to figure out.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott817 View Post

These steps fixed my HR22. The guide is still a little slow displaying but changing channels and doing things inside the guide are fast now.

Clear NVRAM to speed up DVR performance:

Go to channel 1. Once the page is operating including audio, use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that order. This

must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in the

lower left. Turn "Scrolling Effects" to off. This is in the Display-->Preferences menu. Uncheck all of the resolutions under HDTV in the TV Resolutions

menu except 720p or 1080i and 1080p, depending on whether you have a 720/768 or 1080 TV or turn Native off.

Thanks for the tip scott. Great, now I can't even got into channel 1. It said CIC channel not avail on this box. I have HRH1. WTH is going on with these guys, I was able to go to ch 1 the other day and now I can't . The other day I tried this and the message just sd english 2. D* officially sucks.

Scott, but doesn't turning native off will reduce PQ?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Thanks for the tip scott. Great, now I can't even got into channel 1. It said CIC channel not avail on this box. I have HRH1. WTH is going on with these guys, I was able to go to ch 1 the other day and now I can't . The other day I tried this and the message just sd english 2. D* officially sucks.

Scott, but doesn't turning native off will reduce PQ?

You may need to change your favorite list to channels I get so it will tune to channel one.

Native on/off seems to vary between users/equipment as to whether the PQ is better or not.
For HD I doubt any/many can tell any difference between the receiver or the TV doing the scaling.
SD has so much more scaling to fit the display, that some might be able to tell, but even this may only be in the crop/zoom mode.
I use native on on one [1080p] of my TVs while I have it off on another [768] TV.

A.K.A. VOS
post #16 of 18 Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Ok thanks I'll try that but I swear I didn't do a thing but now cannot go into ch 1 like before. But how does turning native off help speed up things?
post #17 of 18 Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I always use native off on all of my DVRs and it has no effect on PQ.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

how does turning native off help speed up things?

It doesn't affect things like the guide or menus, but it does channel changing.
With native on, the receiver changes/cycles through resolutions and then the TV also has to change. With native off, the receiver is outputting a constant resolution and the TV doesn't have to change.

A.K.A. VOS
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page