Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Kckay,

This is an old thread, but just stumbled upon it. The problem is with MPC's internal matroska filter. You need to disable it and use the original matroska filter. Download Matroska splitter and install it. During install it will ask whether to disable MPC's internal one. Click Yes on it. Reboot the machine.

also, you may need to install ffdshow codec. I use it to decode h.264. I can play both .m2ts and .ts without any problems. PM me if you need to know more.

Manoj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hooked my unit up today and I cannot get the remote to work. I tried changing batteries with no success. Is there a special way to activate the remote?

Stephen Pickard
post #33 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pickard View Post

I hooked my unit up today and I cannot get the remote to work. I tried changing batteries with no success. Is there a special way to activate the remote?

Did you install the necessary software on your computer? Is it running? The remote controls your PC, not the HD PVR.
post #34 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Did you install the necessary software on your computer? Is it running? The remote controls your PC, not the HD PVR.

Thanks a lot for the advice. It is now working fine.
Steve.

Stephen Pickard
post #35 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I hope some of you are still monitoring this thread. Can this PVR be used w/o using it as a loop through? For example, I can split the output of my cable settop box to the PVR. However, I don't need to use the output to go to my tv. So I don't need to do this

Cable STB ----> HD PVR------> TV (HD PVR connected via USB to PC).

Can I record the shows from my cable box if I do

cable STB -----> HDPVR (HD PRV connected via USB to PC).

Thanks

Thanks,
Hansang
post #36 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yes, that's similar to how I have mine set up. I use mine only for archiving programs that I previously recorded on my DVR, not for "live" TV watching.

However, there's a reason why you might want to use the pass-through anyway: to monitor the recording process. I don't need that because I use EyeTV software (on a Mac) which displays what's being recorded in a window on my Mac's screen. I don't know if the Windows recording software which comes with the Hauppauge also has that feature.
post #37 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Yes, that's similar to how I have mine set up. I use mine only for archiving programs that I previously recorded on my DVR, not for "live" TV watching.

However, there's a reason why you might want to use the pass-through anyway: to monitor the recording process. I don't need that because I use EyeTV software (on a Mac) which displays what's being recorded in a window on my Mac's screen. I don't know if the Windows recording software which comes with the Hauppauge also has that feature.

Sweet. Thanks very much. Since I'll be "replaying" what's already on my DVR, if something goes bad, I'll just replay it on the DVR. Not worth ordering two 50' component cables!

Thanks,
Hansang
post #38 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM

just got my hd pvr set up on my new htpc and I have to say this is pretty amazing. The quality is much higher than any recordings I have ever made in the past so I am definitely happy. I have no experience yet with pctv tuner cards yet so I have no comparison. Quite pleased to eb able to pull some shark week and paladia off tonight. A ZZtop performance and Clapton with Cream doing White Room.

Running an i7 920 with 64bit Windows 7 and all the software installed perfectly and recordings are smooth with no jitter. Excellent quality.

I think people need to remember minimum system requirements are Dual core CPU 2.0Ghz or faster
# Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
# Sound card
# USB 2.0 Port

these are pretty high minimum requirements for this kind of recording. Someone on the first page asked if a laptop will handle this and I just don't think many laptops can.

Just hooked up the htpc two days ago so I have not monitored cpu and gpu usage yet... but I am sure it is pretty high and I do have a feeling Windows 7 64 bit is taking advantage of the extra gpu and RAM that 32 bit Windows is not utilizing.

I know in the latest driver 1.5.6 there was some folders/named 64 bit so this must have some effect on smooth recording I am sure.

will report back...this is too much fun...
post #39 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 View Post

I think people need to remember minimum system requirements are Dual core CPU 2.0Ghz or faster
# Graphics with 256MB memory (or greater)
# Sound card
# USB 2.0 Port

these are pretty high minimum requirements for this kind of recording. Someone on the first page asked if a laptop will handle this and I just don't think many laptops can.

Those requirements only apply if you're using capture software which tries to decode the H.264 Transport Stream. If you're using something that doesn't (such as GraphEdit), the requirements are quite insignificant.
post #40 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

Sweet. Thanks very much. Since I'll be "replaying" what's already on my DVR, if something goes bad, I'll just replay it on the DVR. Not worth ordering two 50' component cables!

If you ever did want to do the loop through, you could always get a really long (50 ft) USB cable and have the 1212 by the DVR/TV. Do they make 50 ft USB cables?

Nevermind, the max length of a USB2 cable is 5 meters (16ft).
post #41 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwer View Post

Those requirements only apply if you're using capture software which tries to decode the H.264 Transport Stream. If you're using something that doesn't (such as GraphEdit), the requirements are quite insignificant.

You are absolutely right. I was simply making a comment that I don't believe a laptop will smoothly handle streaming high def video to your laptop "after" decoding in the HD PVR. Any unsmooth transfers is probably due to the laptop hiccup...

At any rate, if it does work smoothly on a laptop, I am definitely sure most laptops will be forced to a crawl if you want to do any editing out of commercials or other edits or transcoding afterwards. Sure you can pull the bits of your STB, but can you do anything with those bits or with any efficiency for that matter after recording?

Earlier I hooked up my Denon DVD player to the HD PVR to see if it will pass the bits there... nice to have a back up of my favorite DVD's if any of them get scratched It definitely passes it over ready for capture which I expected. Hooked up the same as an STB, component and optical pulled 6m/bs bit rate and Dolby Digital in 720 x 480 res... Grateful Dawg(Garcia & Grisman) This was a pleasant surprise. It just seemed logical to try it considering it is just an analog bitstream really...

I should have said that I first tried my Pioneer BDP-23 and it did not pass the stream through the HD PVR. This I expected as well. I do not expect it can pass through just because BD protection is not easy to get through. Not at this point anyway... Seems like an endless battle that has been going on since the birth of the CD... We just want to watch or hear the content we pay for where and when we want it... Not much to ask for really...

Well, I am about to hook the Pio BD player back up and try something a little different. It does not seem it would make much sense that the analog pass through could handle a Pioneer Blu Ray Player set to 1080p . Since the Hauppage HD PVR only passes 480, 720p, and 1080i this makes logical sense as well. But if I switch the resolution to 1080i on the Pioneer BD player will it pass it through? It basically gives you an error saying the device is not ready even though the BD player is playing the disc. I am not getting my hopes up as I am sure this is simply a BD spec protection issue...

Other things I have noticed with the HD PVR:

Windows Media Player 11 in Windows 7 will play all the codecs from the HD PVR in WMP 11...

But Windows 7 Media Center will not see the files despite this...

You can upload DVB Link and that is supposed to be an option...I am giving the free trial a whirl tonight...

What I really want to do is be able to burn a Blu Ray disc on Blu Ray media to grab as much bit rate as the source is feeding... that would be nice.... 2 hours of video as blu ray player compatible on a 4.7gb DVD if that is what the Hauppage site states must be a low bit rate. I can't imagine it being the 13.5m/bs that we are recording.

I love the HD PVR, great piece of gear... Not much bad to say... The only thing that bothers me is it is a single tuner and it won't allow us to watch a different cable channel when you are recording. So if you change the channel you stop your recording. A buddy at work is giving me a Hauppage Clear QAM/OTA tuner to use so I can watch something else while I am recording...stuck with clear QAM channels though...May have to get another HD PVR hooked to another htpc to handle the load
post #42 of 48 Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 View Post

You are absolutely right. I was simply making a comment that I don't believe a laptop will smoothly handle streaming high def video to your laptop "after" decoding in the HD PVR. Any unsmooth transfers is probably due to the laptop hiccup...

At any rate, if it does work smoothly on a laptop, I am definitely sure most laptops will be forced to a crawl if you want to do any editing out of commercials or other edits or transcoding afterwards. Sure you can pull the bits of your STB, but can you do anything with those bits or with any efficiency for that matter after recording?

My circa 2007 Asus laptop can decode 1080p H.264 perfectly fine. As long as the software is smart enough to use the decoding hardware built into the NVidia 8600 in it. Pretty much anything with an 8300+ or newer or an HD3200+ or newer will have hardware H.264. Editing is perfectly tolerable as long as you us an editor that works with the GOPs and doesnt't just try to re-encode it. Yeah, H.264 encoding of any appreciable quality takes a very long time, even on relatively fast desktop hardware. Although I've been able to produce entirely watchable content with 6mbit one-pass H.264. Though it might only work for me since my service with Charter is so painfully overcompressed...

As for copy protection and DRM, the media industry has bought and paid for our government. Don't get your hopes up for ever being able to fairly use content you pay for.
post #43 of 48 Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM

So I was able to get a DVD player to transfer the video through the HD PVR but I was unable to transfer a BluRay disc. I could not even transfer a DVD Video Disc through the Blu Ray Player...

One problem I am having now is my HD PVR all of a sudden will not recognize the IR Blaster any more. It was working fine and now it says there no IR Blaster hooked up which is obviously not the case. There is a FAQ about this on the Hauppage website but the link for the fix does not work. Anybody know what is going on here. This thing is worthless if I can't schedule recordings in advance.
post #44 of 48 Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Several months ago, in this thread, I asked for help playing back my HD-PVR files on my laptop. I was unable to find a capable player other than the ArcSoft TME software (that came with the HD-PVR) and the Cyberlink Power DVD9 software. Those were the only players I found (and the only I still have found) that can play the files. Unfortunately the ArcSoft TME has no controls for Brightness, Color saturation, Contrast etc. and the CyberLink Power DVD 9 costs $100 (but works just fine). My laptop seemingly met the minimum requirements as stated by Hauppauge:
1) Core 2 Duo CPU
2) Graphics card / 256 MB Memory

adude came along on June 12 and led me through a trial and error process (via private messages) and showed me how to set up Media Player Classic in order to play these files. We experimented with a host of Media Player variables in an attempt to play the files. There are so many permutations and combinations it is not worth attempting this without having a good understanding of what each does. Adude is the man for that job. Here is the out come of those exchanges:
1) Media Player Classic in general cannot be setup to play the files (on my computer).
2) Media Player Classic can be made to play the files (on my computer) by but only at the expense of a complete loss in all other menu systems both in Media Player and in the Windows operating system. We found that by choosing the VMR-9 renderless (renderer) with direct3D activated the files would play just fine. Unfortunately once a file was started you could do nothing else except sit back and enjoy or stop the computer by brute force - unplugging it and dropping the battery - no menus available what so ever. (Actually a Ctrl C should stop it).

So what was the problem with my computer? Other people are evidently playing these files with Media Player Classic, why can't I?

We feel sure it is the graphics card, or lack thereof, based on the fact that the problem on my computer is the unacceptable amount of tearing which is symptomatic of an underpowered graphic system. I am using a laptop that on the surface meets the minimum requirements. But the graphics card is not one of the high quality video cards. It is only chipset that makes use of unallocated system memory. By choosing the VMR-9 renderless renderer option, all of the looping (the menus) within volatile ram is apparently stopped while the file is played to utilize all available horsepower of that underpowered chipset (I think).

Others have found that playing these files is more difficult than recording them. All of my files play just fine with Cyberlink DVD 9 and ArcSoft TME. Which brings up the question. Why would the files play just fine on my laptop with the above software - the video chipset is the same? I can only speculate - I will leave that to others. Perhaps adude knows. And if you happen by and catch this reply, adude, please be aware that the computers I mentioned, have never arrived (Blame it on the economy), but they are still expected.

I must add, I have been to frugal to pay the $100 for the Cyberlink software, but apparently I will pay the same amount for the new Western Digital Media Player. This device is hardware with an HDMI connection to the TV. Hence I will regain control over Brightness, Color Saturation, Contrast etc that I lost when connecting my computer to the TV PC connector via a VGA cable. It also has a USB port for connection to any outboard HD that contains the files. And here is the good part - it also has a remote so you can switch programs from the easy chair - a natural for the Hauppauge HD-PVR.

And finally, you might be interested in the fact that I have been through (3) 25 foot long VGA cables trying to make a 1080i connection between my computer and my TV without success. All three were advertised to have this capability, and all three worked for a while, but after a month or so would only pass a 1280 or 1440 (horizontal pixel) file. Only my old trusty high quality 6 foot long VGA cable will consistently transmit the HD-PVR M2TS files. Another reason to consider the WD media Player.
post #45 of 48 Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Why didn't you just use the free VideoLAN software to play the files? That's what I use for casual viewing of Hauppauge HD PVR captures.

If you want to use Windows Media Player, then quality is heavily dependent on your graphics card and the installed Directshow filters. Even if you've got the necessarily filters installed (i.e. the Cyberlink software), that doesn't necessarily mean Windows Media Player is using them. There's a lot that can go wrong with Directshow filter configuration under Windows, as you've gathered by now. You should find some troubleshooting help (or enough information to get you on the right track) in the AVS' HTPC forum.

It often requires a substantial investment of time and effort to get the desired output from a PC, which is why so many prefer standalone solutions like the DTVPal DVR, TiVo, Moxi, and/or cable/satellite supplied DVRs. Those that do stick with a HTPC tend to treat it as a hobby.
post #46 of 48 Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Hi Folks:
Here's a software solution so that you can get the HDPVR working in Media Center with HD.

I can't wait to try it.

dvblogic.com/hdpvr.php
post #47 of 48 Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

I could have sworn that there was a huge thread, several hundred posts, about this product, and now I can't seem to find it. Does that sound familiar to anyone here?

chris
post #48 of 48 Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_h2 View Post

I could have sworn that there was a huge thread, several hundred posts, about this product, and now I can't seem to find it. Does that sound familiar to anyone here?

found it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=974885

And an even better one, the official owners thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...p#post16551168

chris
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page