Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 956 Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

From reading the posts here can I assume no one has attempted a 320GB drive in the 3090 from some manufacturer other than Seagate?

Also, is anyone having an issue with the 3090 and fast forwarding through commercials, and not being able to control where it stops? I had the SA8300HD until 6 months ago and I was fairly adept at stopping the thing when I saw the original program continuing. The 8300 would rewind enough to show the program, but this Sammy is all over the place.

I had the 8300 taken out because it missed recording a few shows but it was a much better box from a DVR function perspective. The quality of the picture was also better than the 3090.

The 8300 would reboot a lot.

Just my two cents but none of them work, the software is defective and the hardware is cheap.

The Fast Forward thing on the 3090 really bothers me... You can't stop it!!!!

Time Warner Cable - North NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 956 Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Just an update, this new samsung box is the worst piece of DVR I have ever used. It is slow, it misses recordings, it doesn't let me pause half the time (time indicator goes backwards so it looks like I am always at the beginning of the show instead of buffering) and I have to reboot it once a week or so. If I don't end up canceling TWC I would just get a last Gen tivo, or get rid of DVR altoghether. $10 a month should get me more than that.

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
post #543 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well we just switched out an 8240 for the Samsung 3270. Very slick looking box and the speed is appreciated. I did see black halfway through a recording and am starting to wonder if it's this box from reading. I did notice delayed FF a little too. Interesting. I definitely prefer the look of this box though - so much better!
post #544 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Well we just switched out an 8240 for the Samsung 3270. Very slick looking box and the speed is appreciated. I did see black halfway through a recording and am starting to wonder if it's this box from reading. I did notice delayed FF a little too. Interesting. I definitely prefer the look of this box though - so much better!

Isn't the 3270 the box that does no PIP at all? I do frequently use it...

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #545 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Charlotte got a Samsung update last night to v4.3.5.3 (from v4.3.5.0).

Immediately noticed a major improvement in the operation and consistency of FF/REW. If any additional changes were made, they were not apparent in the quick run through I gave the box - which is OK, because other than bizarre FF/REW behavior, 4.3.5.0 was easily the least buggy Samsung release I've had and it finally fixed the missed FOX/CBS recording issue we had here in Charlotte.

After the update and auto reboot, the box was behaving badly. It was VERY sluggish to commands (10 seconds to even think about a channel change) and, after initially tuning a channel successfully, after about 6-7 seconds it would turn off and either the Not Authorized or Not Available message would pop up. A manual reboot returned to box to normal operation.

The only remaining major issue I still see is that the box still will not boot properly when connected via HDMI to my powered Onkyo 876 AVR... I have to power down the AVR or Navigator boots without guide date - which is a major improvement from pre-4.3.5.0 when it wouldn't boot into Navigator at all when connected to the 876.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #546 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Hello everyone,

As you can see by my delightful username, I am ready to go crazy!!
A few months ago I started having problems with the dvr recording -- had a SA 8300HD box. Last week traded it in for the newer Samsung H3090 box. When I pause live tv and try to play it again, the picture freezes. When I playback a recorded show and either pause or FF and hit play again -- same thing -- picture froze, but audio was still going. I brought this box back and got another SA 8300....well this one made almost half of the channels pixelate, lose audio, break up, etc.. (I connect using HDMI, but also tried componenet -- same issues.)

Ok so if you are still with me, brought that back and tried another Samsung 3090 box.....and I am back to the same problems. Picture freezes everytime I pause and try to playback live TV....or if I playback a recorded show. In addition, some of the recordings were blank screens although the banner displayed the "show" being play along with the time left of the recording.

I am just having so many problems I don't know what to do. 3 boxes in 1 week is too much to handle....and I am wasting more of my time and energy going back and forth to the cable center.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Anyone experiencing the same problems? I live in NYC...and am ready to switch to Fios. So fed up with Time Warner's inferior BS service!!

Whew....needed to vent...lol...thanks for the help!!
post #547 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated_again View Post

Hello everyone,

As you can see by my delightful username, I am ready to go crazy!!
A few months ago I started having problems with the dvr recording -- had a SA 8300HD box. Last week traded it in for the newer Samsung H3090 box. When I pause live tv and try to play it again, the picture freezes. When I playback a recorded show and either pause or FF and hit play again -- same thing -- picture froze, but audio was still going. I brought this box back and got another SA 8300....well this one made almost half of the channels pixelate, lose audio, break up, etc.. (I connect using HDMI, but also tried componenet -- same issues.)

Ok so if you are still with me, brought that back and tried another Samsung 3090 box.....and I am back to the same problems. Picture freezes everytime I pause and try to playback live TV....or if I playback a recorded show. In addition, some of the recordings were blank screens although the banner displayed the "show" being play along with the time left of the recording.

I am just having so many problems I don't know what to do. 3 boxes in 1 week is too much to handle....and I am wasting more of my time and energy going back and forth to the cable center.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Anyone experiencing the same problems? I live in NYC...and am ready to switch to Fios. So fed up with Time Warner's inferior BS service!!

Whew....needed to vent...lol...thanks for the help!!

I think your report is the first one I've seen of pictures freezing (staying frozen?) coming out of pause. I've had two 3090s with FW versions 2.4.9.0, 2.4.9.2, 2.4.9.3, 4.3.5.0 and now 4.3.5.3, along with at least three different versions of ODN. None ever did that (but have had a bunch of other issues that, at this point, seemed to be pretty well ironed out.

Given that the SA box also wasn't playing well (and its problems were classic symptoms of low signal issues - which could be isolated to your home or a very small area around it) I would suggest asking for a service tech to check things out for you. TW is not going to be aware of issues confined to very small areas unless you request a service call. You can change boxes ad infinitum and it will not fix an RF signal issue.

post #548 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

I think your report is the first one I've seen of pictures freezing (staying frozen?) coming out of pause.

I have that issue with 2.4.9.4 in NYC.
post #549 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

I have that issue with 2.4.9.4 in NYC.

Was it a new problem introduced with 2.4.9.4? That's one release we skipped over here.

post #550 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Was it a new problem introduced with 2.4.9.4? That's one release we skipped over here.

Yes. 2.4.9.4 has introduced all sorts of frozen picture issues for me, especially if the program is still recording. I've rebooted more times in the last week than I have in the last 6 months. The other odd thing is the most accurate ff/rr stop now happens at the highest (3X) speed.
post #551 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

The other odd thing is the most accurate ff/rr stop now happens at the highest (3X) speed.

I have always found that to be the case.

When I gave a quick workout to 4.3.5.3 this morning, I was pleasantly surprised how the FF/REW was working... closest to the SA functions. Still more of a fast slide show than a fluid FF as it is in the SA, but it seemed to be very consistent and linear in speed, sample length and jumpback. I will play some more tonight.

post #552 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply guys! Is there anyway to get an update to a different version? I also have the problem with the FF not being accurate. I miss the way SA 8300 at least jumped back to where the program would pick up again after the commercial.

What would you recommend? Going back to the SA 8300? My original one did not have the pixelation problem, but just some recording issues (after a while). Honestly I feel like calling a tech to come in and take a look is a waste of time. Any time I have called them in the past, they spent more time chit chatting on their cell phone and did not fix the problem....

Fios just became available in my area and my neighbor got it.....but has had some nightmares with them too.

Maybe I'll just get a Tivo, but I'm not sure how much TWC charges for a cablecard...
post #553 of 956 Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Isn't the 3270 the box that does no PIP at all? I do frequently use it...

Yes but you now have dual buffers and you can swap tuners.
post #554 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have always found that to be the case.

When I gave a quick workout to 4.3.5.3 this morning, I was pleasantly surprised how the FF/REW was working... closest to the SA functions. Still more of a fast slide show than a fluid FF as it is in the SA, but it seemed to be very consistent and linear in speed, sample length and jumpback. I will play some more tonight.

After watching several recorded shows last night, I can say that FF/REW are definitely much improved. Worked very well and very consistently all evening.

Unfortunately, we do have a new issue which sounds similar to what has been reported with 2.4.9.4 in NYC... if DVR playback is paused for an extended period (don't know the exact threshold - let's just say several minutes), it will not come out of pause unless you leave DVR playback completely (press stop or change channel), after which you can go back to the DVR list and use Resume Play to restart from where it had been paused. Brief pauses will not lock up.

I'm not sure I understand how obvious problems like this get past any kind of testing procedures. Pausing long enough to run to the kitchen for milk and cookies is not exactly an unusual circumstance.

post #555 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

hdtvfan2005 - Do you have any insight as to why Charlotte jumped to 4.x on their 3090s while NYC is still issuing new 2.x versions? Is the 4.x series on our 3090s the same that is being loaded on your 3270s? Is Charlotte a test to see if the firmware/middleware for the two series of boxes can be unified?

post #556 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3270 does run v4.3.5 albeit with a few bugs . I guess they're trying to unify both SW versions. The 3270 ran SW v4.2.x but not v2.4.x. The 3270 runs a very similar CPU and it must have identical components to the 3090.
post #557 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Still hasn't been deployed in San Diego yet.
post #558 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated_again View Post

Thanks for the reply guys! Is there anyway to get an update to a different version? I also have the problem with the FF not being accurate. I miss the way SA 8300 at least jumped back to where the program would pick up again after the commercial.

What would you recommend? Going back to the SA 8300? My original one did not have the pixelation problem, but just some recording issues (after a while). Honestly I feel like calling a tech to come in and take a look is a waste of time. Any time I have called them in the past, they spent more time chit chatting on their cell phone and did not fix the problem....

Fios just became available in my area and my neighbor got it.....but has had some nightmares with them too.

Maybe I'll just get a Tivo, but I'm not sure how much TWC charges for a cablecard...

Within the design specs for MDN, I gotta say my 8300HD/MDN seems to work well... as in I do NOT seem to have any of the issues most folks talk about (my issue revolves around the design of series recordings, I dislike THAT design).

However, if you CAN get FiOS, get it. BUT be prepared to think about TiVO & Moxi as their DVR isn't all that great.

post #559 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Now THAT makes me squirm... no PIP, but 2 buffered tuners? I think that's an idiotic thing to do/have.

post #560 of 956 Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Supposedly this chip can do PIP but for some reason they don't include it. All DVR boxes running ODN v3.2.0_15 get tuner swap regardless if they have PIP or not. The 3270 used to have 1 90 minute buffer but now they have dual 60 minute buffers. The buffers also alternate. It's also made the 3270 much noisier as it now has to buffer both tuners.

It isn't really that much different than the 3090 in terms of performance. It does use the same HDD as the 320 GB 3090.
post #561 of 956 Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Hello!
My friend just got a Samsung DVR from TimeWarner this week (he's had repairmen out there every week since he got a DVR form them several years ago - nothing has ever worked right and this is another attempt to fix things) and he said that there is a very noticeable hum. He doesn't own a computer so he asked me to research it for him. He lives in a studio apartment (in NYC) and the room is small and the hum is very annoying to him.
Is the hum normal? Is it something that he just needs to get used to or is it possible that it's that specific unit?
Thanks!
post #562 of 956 Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclernyc View Post

Hello!
My friend just got a Samsung DVR from TimeWarner this week (he's had repairmen out there every week since he got a DVR form them several years ago - nothing has ever worked right and this is another attempt to fix things) and he said that there is a very noticeable hum. He doesn't own a computer so he asked me to research it for him. He lives in a studio apartment (in NYC) and the room is small and the hum is very annoying to him.
Is the hum normal? Is it something that he just needs to get used to or is it possible that it's that specific unit?
Thanks!

Both 3090s I've had have been nearly dead silent... much quieter than the SA 8300HDC they replaced. What little noise comes from any of them has been hard drive noise... no humming at all.

post #563 of 956 Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

A neighbor got a 3090 about a month ago (same market as cyclernyc) and his comment was that it was FAR quieter than the HDC he had had. I'd say swap the box.

post #564 of 956 Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the responses! I will let him know.
post #565 of 956 Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 PM

How do I find out if the external hard drive is being detected on the SMT-H3270? I just traded in my 8300hd here in Austin, Texas.
post #566 of 956 Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM

Anyone have any advice on getting an external drive to work the 3270? I tried the USB port and also the sata, as my external has both, but no luck on either one.
Thanks
post #567 of 956 Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarnell View Post

Anyone have any advice on getting an external drive to work the 3270? I tried the USB port and also the sata, as my external has both, but no luck on either one.
Thanks

The Software that runs on the 3270 doesn't support eSATA at this time. It might work eventually but TWC likes the idea of disabling eSATA with ODN. The 8300HD's and I take it your a SARA market that will be deploying Navigator soon. SARA boxes also support eSATA but the HDC's also run the same guide software as the 3270.
post #568 of 956 Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Yes, I am in a sara market that is switching over. That is a real bummer that the esata will not work. Not sure what to do now.
post #569 of 956 Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarnell View Post

Yes, I am in a sara market that is switching over. That is a real bummer that the esata will not work. Not sure what to do now.

Live with the 320 GB HDD or get another 8300HD if you can as that version of Navigator does work with eSATA drives.
post #570 of 956 Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Took some time, but I just got my external hard drive hooked up
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page