Samsung 3090/3270 HD-DVR Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
help urgent.

I have the smt-h3090 HD dvr box and for some reason I cant raise the volume from my box( not the tv volume but the actual box volume) . the volume button on the control and on the box won't rqise the volume on the box. what is wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 AM

jcalabria

We are on Time Warner so hopefully there will be those choices in the menu.

Thanks for the help.

ttt
post #723 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweet2010 View Post

jcalabria

We are on Time Warner so hopefully there will be those choices in the menu.

Thanks for the help.

ttt

It's in \\Settings\\Display\\Clock Options... and there is also a 4th option for "No Display" that displays neither time nor channel.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #724 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsfinest72 View Post

help urgent.

I have the smt-h3090 HD dvr box and for some reason I cant raise the volume from my box( not the tv volume but the actual box volume) . the volume button on the control and on the box won't rqise the volume on the box. what is wrong?

I believe you have to go into settings, audio, then change it to variable.
post #725 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy View Post

I believe you have to go into settings, audio, then change it to variable.

Possibly, but that only matters if you are using analog (or possibly on digital if audio coding is set to 2ch/PCM and there is no HDMI device connected). Volume control is disabled (and the Variable/Fixed audio output setting is grayed out) when using HDMI or DD/AC3 outputs.

Honestly, even if you are using analog outputs, using the volume control in the box is not a good idea if you have another device downstream that can control the volume also. If you get into a situation where you've lowered the volume at the box, then you or someone else raises the volume at the TV to compensate, audio quality (S/N) can really go to hell. Much better to maintain the gain structure of your system and control the volume at the last possible location in the system before the audio hits the power amps.... this would typically be the TV in a simple system or the AVR/Preamp in a home theater system. (Same thing applies to a TV connected to a downstream audio system... the TV should be set to fixed output and control the volume at the AVR/Preamp.)

Volume control at the box should be a last resort option when used with an old TV that lacks its own remote volume control. Even then, you have to be careful to make sure that the your "normal" listening level is set at the TV with the box volume set at the same level it would produce when set to fixed output.

Most of the remotes supplied by TW can be programmed to control volume at the TV or AVR instead of the box.

post #726 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM

no my HD dvr is connected to my HDTV through hdmi. the volume on the box is so low that I need to raise the volume on the tv max to hear it. so audio is working. the issue is that I can't raise the cable box volume up so I can lower the tv volume. the volume button on my remote control is not making the cable box volume go up, also when I press the volume button on the cable box itself, it doesn't go up either as if there's a glitch where you can't raise the volume at all. I did a reboot and still
post #727 of 956 Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no my HD dvr is connected to my HDTV through hdmi. the volume on the box is so low that I need to raise the volume on the tv max to hear it. so audio is working. the issue is that I can't raise the cable box volume up so I can lower the tv volume. the volume button on my remote control is not making the cable box volume go up, also when I press the volume button on the cable box itself, it doesn't go up either as if there's a glitch where you can't raise the volume at all. I did a reboot and still

As I said earlier, you will not ever get to change the volume with an HDMI connection... it is intentionally and necessarily disabled. However, you apparently do have a problem.

Since you already tried rebooting, the only suggestion I have short of swapping the box would be to temporarily disconnect the HDMI and reconnect to the TV with an analog connection (could even be composite SD... you just need to be able to navigate the menus for a minute).

With the analog connection in place...
  • Set the audio coding to 2ch/PCM
  • Set the audio output to variable
  • Reset the volume control to normal level
  • Return the output setting to fixed
  • Return the the coding to HDMI
  • Reconnect the HDMI connection.
If that doesn't restore normal volume levels and you are reasonably sure the TV doesn't have any issues, then I would swap the box.

post #728 of 956 Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

As I said earlier, you will not ever get to change the volume with an HDMI connection... it is intentionally and necessarily disabled. However, you apparently do have a problem.

Since you already tried rebooting, the only suggestion I have short of swapping the box would be to temporarily disconnect the HDMI and reconnect to the TV with an analog connection (could even be composite SD... you just need to be able to navigate the menus for a minute).

With the analog connection in place...
  • Set the audio coding to 2ch/PCM
  • Set the audio output to variable
  • Reset the volume control to normal level
  • Return the output setting to fixed
  • Return the the coding to HDMI
  • Reconnect the HDMI connection.
If that doesn't restore normal volume levels and you are reasonably sure the TV doesn't have any issues, then I would swap the box.

I went to settings - device- audio coding format and changed it to pcm or Dolby ac-3 and my volume instantly worked again. but there were no audio. so I put the cable box volume all the way up and change dit back to hdmi as the audio coding format. so now my cable box volume is maxxed. so I have to use my tv volume for now on to raise or lower the volume.
post #729 of 956 Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so I have to use my tv volume for now on to raise or lower the volume.

...which is completely normal for an HDMI connection.

Remember that most of the TW remotes can be programmed to control the TV volume instead of the box, so whichever device is controlling volume should be completely transparent to the user once its set up.

post #730 of 956 Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 AM

I have another question concerning my 3260. The displayed picture is not taking up the entire available screen. Some channels are displayed as smaller than others. Some get closer to taking up the entire screen. I suspect there is a setting somewhere that might be labeled "Fit to Screen" or some such.

thanks for any suggestions.
post #731 of 956 Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweet2010 View Post

I have another question concerning my 3260. The displayed picture is not taking up the entire available screen. Some channels are displayed as smaller than others. Some get closer to taking up the entire screen. I suspect there is a setting somewhere that might be labeled "Fit to Screen" or some such.

thanks for any suggestions.

No "fit to screen" in the box, but...
  • Make sure the Aspect Ratio setting matches your TV. Likely this should be 16:9. Other choice is 4:3. Note that when set to 16:9, ALL content is output as 16:9... even 4:3 native content.
  • Assuming you have a 16:9 display, you have one other setting at the box to adjust, that being the Size setting. It has three settings, all of which ONLY effect 4:3 programming:
    • Normal - 4:3 is displayed with black sidebars, 16:9 untouched.
    • Stretch - 4:3 content gets a linear horizontal stretch to fill the 16:9 window, 16:9 is untouched
    • Zoom - 4:3 is zoomed (equal horizontal/vertical) to fill 16:9. This is useful for letterboxed 4:3 content and not much else. Once again, 16:9 content is not touched.
The choice is essentially between Normal and Stretch... Normal if you prefer to watch 4:3 content in its native aspect ratio... Stretch if you want 4:3 content to fill the screen (at the expense of making everything look like they are in a funhouse mirror). However, a properly operating box is essentially incapable of altering aspect ratios of a 16:9 broadcast.

More likely you need to check the settings in your TV, AVR/Preamp/Processor, or both. Available modes and what they are called vary widely between brands, models, so its difficult to recommend a specific setting. Best place to start, particularly if you have a 1080p display, is 1:1, Dot by Dot, Just Scan, or whatever your display calls the mode that offers no scaling at all. This will ALWAYS produce the best quality picture. Other modes can add a slight bit of overscan to hide VITS/VIRS and closed caption data SD content if that bothers you...but it also will degrade PQ... all scaling operations do.

Note that some content broadcast by HD networks may have originated as something other than 4:3 or 16:9. We are mostly familiar with movie content that was filmed in either 1:85 or 2:35:1 aspect ratio - some networks show these films in their OAR... other do not. There is also a significant amount of programming, particularly on Discovery Networks and BBCA that fall somewhere between 4:3 and 16:9... these will display with narrow pillars on either side of the display.

Personally, I just set the box to 16:9/Normal and my TV on its 1:1 non-scaling mode, and just watch whatever comes across... I don't even think about whether the screen is filled up or not.

One other thing... in the small chance that your widescreen TV is 16:10 (somewhat common for sets 26" and under that are based on computer display panels), then 16:9 content will not fill the display vertically unless the display is set to stretch it vertically to fill the 16:10 display.

post #732 of 956 Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 AM

I have the SMT-H3270 box and just bought a slingbox pro hd...I am having this stupid hdcp issue because my Samsung UN55C8000 is connected to the box via hdmi and my slingplayer through component...and the slingbox will not work even when the TV is off...the only way it works is if I unplug the hdmi cable from the box and reboot the box (ie take it out of the electrical socket)...this really sucks and was hoping the brilliant minds here have some workaround or firmware hack or something....I feel like I spent $300 on a slingbox pro hd for no reason when I already had a plain slingbox...ANY help or insight would be appreciated...
post #733 of 956 Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

jcalabria

Thanks for the in-depth explanation.
I will play with it this weekend.

ttt
post #734 of 956 Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM

I purchased my HDTV (Samsung LN46A630) last year for Super Bowl weekend, and since day 1, there has been a problem that I have not been able to get a solution.

I think there is no solution, but I've decided to ask it here since I am currently using a Samsung H3270 HD DVR and I have Brighthouse Cable here in Altamonte Springs, FL

This is the problem,

Brighthouse HD DVR have the option to have the output resolution change automatically (AUTO SELECT in Settings/Output Resolution) every time you put a channel and the resolution changes automatically. For example, if I change channel to ESPN HD, the resolution is 720p, if I change it to Discovery HD, the resolution is 1080i.

Simple.

But this is the situation, every single time I change channels, my Samsung goes black for about a second or second and a half and displays the message "Searching for Signal" and then it takes the correct resolution.

I know that something is wrong because I once visited a friend who has Brighthouse and when he change channels from 720p to 1080i in his HDTV, the result was instantaneously, no delays, no "searching for signal", nothing.

What I've done to correct this is just have one resolution for all channels (mainly 1080i) and viola, problem resolved.

But I don't want that, if I don't have to. I want ESPN HD to display 720p, and I want Discovery HD to display 1080i, with no delays whatsoever on the Samsung TV.

But I'd like to know once and for all, after one year and six months with this HDTV, if it's my SAMSUNG HDTV that is the problem or if there is a setting in the HD DVR that can correct this problem.

Believe me, I searched everywhere in here and people have asked the same question (different wording), and neither of them have gotten a clear response.

Anyone in the same situation as me?

Is there a solution to this?
post #735 of 956 Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGPOP View Post

I purchased my HDTV (Samsung LN46A630) last year for Super Bowl weekend, and since day 1, there has been a problem that I have not been able to get a solution.

I think there is no solution, but I've decided to ask it here since I am currently using a Samsung H3270 HD DVR and I have Brighthouse Cable here in Altamonte Springs, FL

This is the problem,

Brighthouse HD DVR have the option to have the output resolution change automatically (AUTO SELECT in Settings/Output Resolution) every time you put a channel and the resolution changes automatically. For example, if I change channel to ESPN HD, the resolution is 720p, if I change it to Discovery HD, the resolution is 1080i.

Simple.

But this is the situation, every single time I change channels, my Samsung goes black for about a second or second and a half and displays the message "Searching for Signal" and then it takes the correct resolution.

I know that something is wrong because I once visited a friend who has Brighthouse and when he change channels from 720p to 1080i in his HDTV, the result was instantaneously, no delays, no "searching for signal", nothing.

What I've done to correct this is just have one resolution for all channels (mainly 1080i) and viola, problem resolved.

But I don't want that, if I don't have to. I want ESPN HD to display 720p, and I want Discovery HD to display 1080i, with no delays whatsoever on the Samsung TV.

But I'd like to know once and for all, after one year and six months with this HDTV, if it's my SAMSUNG HDTV that is the problem or if there is a setting in the HD DVR that can correct this problem.

Believe me, I searched everywhere in here and people have asked the same question (different wording), and neither of them have gotten a clear response.

Anyone in the same situation as me?

Is there a solution to this?

It's the TV. You can't do anything else about it. Use your cable directly into the TV (QAM tuning) or use an antenna and it will do the same when it changes channels of different resolutions (NBC vs. Fox). Samsung, Sharp (that I have used) and I am sure nearly all other brands will do it. Think it is the processor shifting processing. Suspect the friend's TV is not showing different resolutions, just saying what is coming in (try antenna or direct cable feed). Remember your TV is showing 1080p no matter what you send to it. So, it really is whether the TV converts to 1080p or the cable box converts to 1080i (then the TV moves to progressive). I have tried both without noticable difference. If you changed channels between two 720p or two 1080i channels it would not do it. What for me was an annoyance was TWC adding local commercials into FSN and changing resolutions on the same channel. /Dan
post #736 of 956 Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

It's the TV. You can't do anything else about it. Use your cable directly into the TV (QAM tuning) or use an antenna and it will do the same when it changes channels of different resolutions (NBC vs. Fox). Samsung, Sharp (that I have used) and I am sure nearly all other brands will do it. Think it is the processor shifting processing. Suspect the friend's TV is not showing different resolutions, just saying what is coming in (try antenna or direct cable feed). Remember your TV is showing 1080p no matter what you send to it. So, it really is whether the TV converts to 1080p or the cable box converts to 1080i (then the TV moves to progressive). I have tried both without noticable difference. If you changed channels between two 720p or two 1080i channels it would not do it. What for me was an annoyance was TWC adding local commercials into FSN and changing resolutions on the same channel. /Dan

Thank you for the reply!

I did forget to say that when I'm watching blu ray movies, it does it as well.

Every single time there is something recorded in the blu ray with a differerent resolution, the TV does change it and the delay is there.

So, I just want it to know and get a definite answer, which I did, and I appreciate it.

By the way, do you leave it like that? To output all resolutions? Or do you have it all 1080i or 720p?

I've left it with 1080i since almost all HD channels are 1080i.
post #737 of 956 Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGPOP View Post

Thank you for the reply!

By the way, do you leave it like that? To output all resolutions? Or do you have it all 1080i or 720p?

I've left it with 1080i since almost all HD channels are 1080i.

I've done both (all through and all 1080i for HD - usually leave 480, 480i alone) and have not been able to tell the difference. I thought at one time that 720p looked better when I sent it through, but like I said, the TV still converts to its native resolution anyway and the cable box seems to do a good job. Sometimes the TV may do a better job and you would want that. Depends on the irritation of the switching. I now have 720p turned off so all HD is 1080i. /Dan
post #738 of 956 Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 AM

I just noticed that after deleting recordings, the recording title remains on a log. Is there a way to delete these from logs, or just clear the logs? I don't like the idea of the privacy being exposed.

This is on the Samsung SMT-H3270.
post #739 of 956 Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydale48 View Post

Is there a way to delete these from logs, or just clear the logs?

Nope

post #740 of 956 Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Nope

Well, that sucks.
post #741 of 956 Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed today that my non-DVR 3260s had been updated to 4.5.7.3. I still get E007 HDCP error on the kitchen TV if I use the All Power button the Synergy remote, but no longer get it if I turn the TV (Sylvania LCD) on first. I also no longer get the E007 message on the 3260 in the bonus room, which has a Harmony remote set to turn the TV (Samsung LCD) on first.

I no longer have a 3090, so I do not know if this update addressed the extended pause lockup bug on those boxes.

post #742 of 956 Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

A person said that a WD 500 GB mybook works on it. It took about 4 reboots and it finally works.

I talked with a tech here in NC and was told two things that you all may find interesting. I had recently traded in my old Scientific Atlanta DVR for a spiffy new Samsung SMT-H3270 DVR. I asked the local customer support staff if the DVR supported E-SATA, they couldn't answer the question. Strike #1. I took it home and eventually got it working after having to call the phone technical support and having them finish configuring the box remotely so it would actually work as a DVR. Strike#2. Then after getting all that to work, I decided to hook up my 1 TB ESATA Seagate Freebook Extreme. It would not respond to the ESATA drive. I rebooted the box a number of times, no good result. I then started doing on-line research and found on this forum how to get into the Samsung Firmware. In doing so, I learned that Samsung supports external ESATA devices, but that Navigator does not. So, I called on-line tech support at TWC today and initally got the good old run-around. I requested tier 2 support and got a very knowledgable individual who took my number did some research, and gave me an answer for a change. Two things I want to share with you that the TWC tech shared with me; 1) TWC is in the process of turning off PIP to save bandwidth. 2) TWC has no current plans top support ESATA on their new DVR's. Strike #3. I told the tech that if that was their plan, they had better put larger hard drives on their DVR units since each hour of HD recording takes about 8 gigbytes.

I don't know if what I was told was accurate, or just somebody's opinion. But if it is true, I think they all want us to buy TIVO or Moxi units, cause it dont look like they want us to use theirs.
post #743 of 956 Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc5169 View Post

I don't know if what I was told was accurate, or just somebody's opinion. But if it is true, I think they all want us to buy TIVO or Moxi units, cause it dont look like they want us to use theirs.

Nah, they just want us to get so frustrated that they can charge a service fee for "upgraded storage capacity".
post #744 of 956 Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

This post savewd me and awful lot of time .... and got me to the point of understanding how TWC is either incompetent as a company (very customer unfriendly, they think we are all idiots) or short changing their customers on purpose .... you can tell I don't really like them, can't you?

Quote:

There is a menu selection in the password protected diagnostics page to perform a factory reset. After a factory reset, the box...
  • WILL reload a new copy of Navigator from the headend
  • WILL NOT lose previously recorded programs
  • WILL NOT lose current recording scheduled (current week)
  • WILL lose Series Manager entries
  • WILL lose Favorite Channel settings
  • WILL lose AC3 over HDMI support if previously enabled
  • WILL lose Power On channel, Audio Format, Fixed/Variable Audio settings, etc.

To perform a factory reset:
  • Enter diagnostics by holding [Vol+] and [INFO] simultaneously on the front panel for about 10 seconds, then release.
  • Once you enter the diagnostic mode, use the arrow keys to enter the "Extended Diags"
  • Once in Extended Diags, go to "Diagnostics" - it is password protected... "3090"
  • Once you are on the password protected Diagnostics page, enter "08" then "Select"... box will reset and automatically reboot
CAUTION... Option 09 activates a Factory Test mode, which doesn't seem to do much (it looks like it is trying to communicate with a specific IP address that is not there). However, when Factory Test mode is enabled, Option 08 changes to "Factory Defaults Reset w/ HDD Erase"... so be careful to read the entry for Option 08 before using it!

post #745 of 956 Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This post savewd me and awful lot of time .... and got me to the point of understanding how TWC is either incompetent as a company (very customer unfriendly, they think we are all idiots) or short changing their customers on purpose .... you can tell I don't really like them, can't you?

What, specifically, are you referring to? Are you having some issue that you are trying to resolve? The diagnostic page that you posted above is no longer accessible (password changed and nobody here has cracked yet), but it has also changed from what you posted and there is little or nothing in it that would require user access.

Referring to your earlier post, the tech was correct that TWC officially does not support eSATA on any box, but it does works consistently (so far... may not tomorrow) on the legacy 8300HD MDN boxes. In general, it does not work on the newer ODN boxes... but maybe if the moon is in the right phase in conjunction with ground hog mating season, it just might work. FYI, the Cisco 8640 boxes have been confirmed to operate with 1TB internal drive transplants.

As far as PiP... the 3270 is the only DVR box available from TWC that does not have PiP. It is a Samsung limitation, not because TW disabled it. Of the newer generation DVRs, both the Samsung 3090 and Cisco 8640 still support PiP.

post #746 of 956 Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two things I want to share with you that the TWC tech shared with me; 1) TWC is in the process of turning off PIP to save bandwidth. 2) TWC has no current plans top support ESATA on their new DVR's. Strike #3. I told the tech that if that was their plan, they had better put larger hard drives on their DVR units since each hour of HD recording takes about 8 gigbytes.

This is why tech's are told not to say anything. Different answers from different people. PIP only saves bandwidth on DVRs that do not buffer both tuners unless you turn PIP on (don't know of any). The ODN 2.5+ is adding 2 tuner buffering even to the Samsungs, so increasing "bandwidth" forcing the box to receive 2 channels at a time. Also, the obvious reason to not "support" eSata is to not have to support it. Imagine the extra work for the techs and since they do not sell/rent external drives, no profit reason to support. But, we all want bigger drives but I think there is a business sense to keeping them smaller other than the small cost difference. Something to do with trying to keep us from skipping commericals. /Dan
post #747 of 956 Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
We have one of the Samsungs and i'm finding it sucks with dealing with fast forwarding, pausing, etc.

If I pause a recording for awhile it doesn't start playing anymore and I have to rewind a lot or even stop it and restart. It also paused on me a bunch when I was rewinding. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, is there a way to jump ahead in larger segments than just the relatively slow 3x ff/rw?
post #748 of 956 Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

We have one of the Samsungs and i'm finding it sucks with dealing with fast forwarding, pausing, etc.

If I pause a recording for awhile it doesn't start playing anymore and I have to rewind a lot or even stop it and restart. It also paused on me a bunch when I was rewinding. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, is there a way to jump ahead in larger segments than just the relatively slow 3x ff/rw?

The inconsistent FF/REW has been with the Sammies from day one. Its better now than it used to be (firmware updates).

The extended pause lockup is a well known bug introduced in a firmware update earlier this year. Hopefully the next stack update will fix it.

Like all ODN Navigator boxes, you can jump to 15 minute intervals of the program by pressing and holding the FF/REW keys.

post #749 of 956 Old 09-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Does anyone have a list of what external hard drives work with the Sammy DVR 3270. I had a 1TB WD dvr that worked flawlessly with the SA83000. Which ones work, or how can I get the one I have to work? I am willing to buy one and if anyone knows of one that would work. Thanks
post #750 of 956 Old 09-11-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan023 View Post

Does anyone have a list of what external hard drives work with the Sammy DVR 3270.

Here you go:

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page