Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 958 Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff barbour View Post

I just replaced a SA 8200 with the Samsung SMT-H3272 from Brighthouse. I can't get it to recognize my ESATA External Hard Drive. Suggestions? Are any of the new 1 TB drives known to work with the Samsung?

I know this is an old question, but did you ever find out how to do this. Time Warner tells me it's possible, and to contact the hard drive manufacturer. The HD Manufacturer says they won't offer support for this, as the HD's are designed to work on computers.

Before I break down and call TW Signature Service, I'm hoping someone can offer some more insight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 958 Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM

I've been searching the net for an answer to this, but not found much.

On the Samsung SMT-H3272, if you go to settings>devices> audio output range, it provides options for Narrow, Normal, and Wide (I think, doing this from memory). Does normal output the signal as it is meant to be heard, while wide boosts it? Or is it referring to your speaker size?

Obviously I want to take full advantage of my speakers, but don't want to be feeding in a boosted signal. To me, Wide sounds like the lows are boosted. Thanks in advance!
post #933 of 958 Old 12-09-2012, 04:50 PM

The box records from when the show says it will be on. The TV station lets it go over the time it says it will somtimes. The box stops recording when it should.
post #934 of 958 Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The TV station lets it go over the time it says it will somtimes. The box stops recording when it should.

to prevent that from happening, you can tell the box to record longer (record show with options)
post #935 of 958 Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaR View Post

I know this is an old question, but did you ever find out how to do this. Time Warner tells me it's possible, and to contact the hard drive manufacturer. The HD Manufacturer says they won't offer support for this, as the HD's are designed to work on computers.
Before I break down and call TW Signature Service, I'm hoping someone can offer some more insight.
Thanks.

Brenda, Did you ever get an answer on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephipower View Post

So i followed all these directions and I was able to get the box to do a factory reset on the box. However, I found the only way I could mount the eSata drive and format it was in the "Factory Test Mode". I tried enabling Factory Test Mode and disabling it but then I wasn't able to Mount or Format the eSata drive.

I could also see in Factory Test Mode that it could retrieve the information about the external hard drive. However, once I disabled Factory Test Mode it wouldn't be able to retrieve information about the drive anymore.

I am in San Antonio, TX with a new Samsung 3270.

Can anyone help me get around this problem?

Thanks in advance

Nephipower, did you ever make any progress?

Anyone else get the eSata working on the SMT-H3270?

Wakefield

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sanyo Z5, Yamaha RX-V2600, Fronts\center = B&W XT4\C, Sides & Rears = Sonance Virtuoso RS2's, Thor IWSUB10
post #936 of 958 Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Just swapped out a bad SA8300 and they gave me a Samsung 3272. I cannot get the menus/settings 'window' to come up in 4:3 mode with black sidebars. It is in a stretched mode which is driving me crazy!

TV is a Panny plasma. I tried changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 and that didn't do anything. The box is operating correctly when I go to non HD channels and it switches to 4:3 with black side bars.
post #937 of 958 Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Samsung boxes cannot have the menus in 4:3. Some day TWC will make a 16:9 guide, but who knows when that will come out.

post #938 of 958 Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My Time Warner (New York City) Samsung box sometimes hangs--to the point where holding down the power button for 10 seconds does nothing. I need to physically cycle the power to cause a reboot.

I'm thinking that the problem might be heat because, well, the thing runs super hot. (It's inside a not-so-well ventilated cabinet.)

I ordered a 120mm USB-powered fan for it. Planning on setting the fan on the top, over the hard drive, pulling air upward.

Any thoughts?

post #939 of 958 Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

My Time Warner (New York City) Samsung box sometimes hangs--to the point where holding down the power button for 10 seconds does nothing. I need to physically cycle the power to cause a reboot.

I'm thinking that the problem might be heat because, well, the thing runs super hot. (It's inside a not-so-well ventilated cabinet.)

I ordered a 120mm USB-powered fan for it. Planning on setting the fan on the top, over the hard drive, pulling air upward.

Any thoughts?

Return it and ask for a silver box (Scientific Atlanta). I had a bad SA and swapped it out (see above) on 12/31. I had to take it back on 2/9 because it crapped out. Would indicate it was recording and I would just have a black screen with no recording.
post #940 of 958 Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, but I meant thoughts on the heat issue/fan placement.

I'd rather not swap the box because (a) it cooperates with my receiver and TV (no handshake problems, no issues with 5.1 audio) and (b) it does record reliably (knock on wood).

post #941 of 958 Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Any thoughts?
Mine does the same thing and not best ventilated either. But I suspect you are, like mine, it does the slow switching and (for me) extremely rare full lock up like you mention when you exit a recording and go back live. I am hoping software issue since when it does it it is always when a change back from a recording. If I have blank screen and it doesn't seem to want to pop back in, a channel change will 99% of the time work to get things back (but then usually lose buffer).

/Dan
post #942 of 958 Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Fan update:

I set a 120mm USB-powered fan* on top of my SMT-H3090 and, while its ability to prevent lock-ups is TBD, it definitely keeps the box cooler and doesn't interfere with its operation. The fan is barely audible when on, and since it's inside a cabinet I can't hear it at all. Note that it's always on--it doesn't spin up only when the box is on. (This is probably for the best since the hard drive is always spinning.)

One minor issue is that I had to cut off the cable guard on the fan USB connector because it was hitting my HDMI cable. No big deal.

In short: so far, so good.

* this one: http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-120x120x25mm-USB-Fan-Grill/dp/B001NJ27QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361640267&sr=8-1&keywords=coolerguys+usb

post #943 of 958 Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

A few days ago the TWC tech came out to my house and replaced my old DVR with a Samsung SMT-H3272.

We've noticed that the audio levels are different for some channels. For example when switching from NBC to Golf Channel, the volume is low. We have to turn up the volume, but if we change the channel back to NBC, it's too loud.

Is this a common problem?

Also- the Navigator channel guide looks really bad- it's stretched.
post #944 of 958 Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Not sure how to word this, but is there any way to change the 3090's remote control frequency or the code-recognition, to circumvent conflicts with other remotes? I just purchased a sound bar (Sharp HT-SB600) and am experiencing that every time I use the Sharp remote to increase volume, it sends a signal like "888" to the 3090 and changes channels on me. I looked at the tech screens (SEL for 10 seconds than Up or Down) but didn't see any settings like this, even on the password protected screens.
post #945 of 958 Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
16:9 UI is coming when TWC moves the guide into the Cloud.
post #946 of 958 Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRink View Post

change the 3090's remote control frequency or the code-recognition, to circumvent conflicts

Failing this, can anyone think of anything simple I can do to make the 3090 temporarily not accept channel signals while I adjust volume on the Sharp? For instance, I thought maybe if I paused the 3090 or brought up the Guide, it might put the unit in a mode that it would ignore the false channel signal it was picking up ... but it did not. Obviously I could power down the 3090 when adjusting volume on the Sharp, but what a PITFA that would be.

I'll contact Sharp about the remote conflict, but I doubt that will lead to anything. Would a Harmony remote resolve this in any way? I'm guessing I'd have the exact same behavior since it's the exact same codes/signals?
post #947 of 958 Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Been having issues with the scheduled recording list of BHN 3272 for the last few months. Basically whats happening is the box is either rebooting or just shutting off in the night and its resetting my schedules recordings. Its not losing the schedules, quite the opposite actually. I'll go through the recordings and delete most of the upcoming shows. After one of these resets/reboots all the deleted upcoming recordings show up again. Usually not an issue, but sometimes conflicts arise causing shows not to record. Anyone else see this behavior? It seems to happen about 3-4 times a week.
post #948 of 958 Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Okay, the problem is getting worse. Now when it reboots about half the time it won't connect to the guide or on demand services. I can still playback content from my DVR, but it obviously won't record or show any upcoming recordings. It took 3 reboots this morning for everything to work.
post #949 of 958 Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Do you own the box?

post #950 of 958 Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM

No I don't own my box but when I return the box I'll put in the old hard drove because film not giving up my 1tb HD.
post #951 of 958 Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'd certainly return it. Note however that the shows that were recorded on that HD might not be readable by the new box. I read that they use encryption that's tied to the particular box.

post #952 of 958 Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Is there a way to change the HDMI color space setting to RGB on the 3270 HD-DVR?

I've got it hooked with HDMI to a Viewsonic Pro8200 projector (via receiver) and all of my other sources look great, but have required the change to RGB. This projector has some noticeable 'black crush' without the color space being manually switched over to RGB.

Please forgive me if this is an easy fix, I did some searching on this thread and in the manual but had no luck.
post #953 of 958 Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Hi, i've searched all over the forum and the web and haven't found an answer, so i'm hoping someone here can help!

I recently got "upgraded" by TWC from a Motorola DVR to a Samsung H3272.

Is there any way to program the universal remote to activate a 30-second forward skip??? Or is it completely disabled in the DVR software?

I had programmed my remote to activate the 30-second skip on the old Motorola DVR, and this is SO frustrating!

Thanks in advance!

...dave
post #954 of 958 Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Hi, i've searched all over the forum and the web and haven't found an answer, so i'm hoping someone here can help!

I recently got "upgraded" by TWC from a Motorola DVR to a Samsung H3272.

Is there any way to program the universal remote to activate a 30-second forward skip??? Or is it completely disabled in the DVR software?

I had programmed my remote to activate the 30-second skip on the old Motorola DVR, and this is SO frustrating!

Thanks in advance!

...dave
I looked at all of the Samsung DVR's commands when I was programming my Harmony remote and I don't remember seeing a 30-second skip.

post #955 of 958 Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Trying to get the Samsung SMT-H3270 to integrate into a universal remote control system but having probs. Questions:

- can you have the extra 2-prong ac outlet on the back turn on/off with the set top box?

- are there discrete power commands?

- the box seems to turn off when not in use for some time (like overnite), can I disable this power feature?

Thx!

post #956 of 958 Old 01-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberlin1 View Post

Trying to get the Samsung SMT-H3270 to integrate into a universal remote control system but having probs. Questions:

- can you have the extra 2-prong ac outlet on the back turn on/off with the set top box?

- are there discrete power commands?

- the box seems to turn off when not in use for some time (like overnite), can I disable this power feature?

Thx!
No control of outlet on back. I used to use the old SA-8300 boxes with PC fan plugged in that would turn on when box was on to keep it cool. Feature gone in the newer boxes (along with external hard drives, second video out, etc.).
I THINK the power is same code for on/off, but not sure do not use universal remote.
I would need to look again, but in the menus there is an item about auto time off (without any commands being sent or timer starts again). I think max is 4 hours, but maybe is a setting to "never". No sure why you would want this.

/Dan
post #957 of 958 Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good Day, all.

I have recently been given a Samsung 3272 in replacement for the SA 8300HD (after going thru 4 replacements after the HD died in the original one) and I am trying add a WD MyBook AV to the 3272 that I was using on the 8300 with no issues...I know I have lost all the recordings that were on the drive but I am trying to get it to be recognized by the 3272. I read on-line about the Settings accessible through <Settings for 10 seconds then Up> and I am able to access those menus. I found the password 8463 and have attempted to mount the eSATA drive through those menus as well as format it. When pressing <Select> after choosing any of the codes, it flashed a red and blue bar on the screen which went by so fast it is hard to read.

The box had a Indonesian manufacture date of May 2014 and does have a 500 GB drive installed in it...It also appears to be an remanufactured unit as the front is scratched and marred up.

Anyone with experience with these boxes have any advice? Or someone in the Austin, TX area have one of these boxes with a working external HD that would be willing to share the procedure for getting it set up?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...500 GB is better than the 160 GB in the 8300 but adding a 1 TB drive that I already have would be most excellent.

WhatFurrer

Last edited by WhatFurrer; 09-06-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Entered wrong model number
post #958 of 958 Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatFurrer View Post
Good Day, all.

I have recently been given a Samsung 3272 in replacement for the SA 8300HD (after going thru 4 replacements after the HD died in the original one) and I am trying add a WD MyBook AV to the 3272 that I was using on the 8300 with no issues...I know I have lost all the recordings that were on the drive but I am trying to get it to be recognized by the 3272. I read on-line about the Settings accessible through <Settings for 10 seconds then Up> and I am able to access those menus. I found the password 8463 and have attempted to mount the eSATA drive through those menus as well as format it. When pressing <Select> after choosing any of the codes, it flashed a red and blue bar on the screen which went by so fast it is hard to read.

The box had a Indonesian manufacture date of May 2014 and does have a 500 GB drive installed in it...It also appears to be an remanufactured unit as the front is scratched and marred up.

Anyone with experience with these boxes have any advice? Or someone in the Austin, TX area have one of these boxes with a working external HD that would be willing to share the procedure for getting it set up?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...500 GB is better than the 160 GB in the 8300 but adding a 1 TB drive that I already have would be most excellent.

WhatFurrer
I believe external drive ability turned off at manufacture and no way to turn on with menus. I have never heard anyone able to connect external drive on this (nor most/all the DVRs since the 8300 including 8300HDC). /Dan
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page