Samsung 3090/3270 HD-DVR Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 958 Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Probably about $600. Thats how much a cable company would pay for it. Samsung might release a tru2way DVR but it will probably have no OTA support. They don't think having OTA support would work in a cable optimized DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 958 Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Basically making it a deal breaker. Is this the way it will be for any of these devices?

As long as the typical DVR is so high maintenance, yup, I suspect so.
post #93 of 958 Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Samsung might release a tru2way DVR but it will probably have no OTA support.

This isn't a DVR or this doesn't have "tru2way"??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #94 of 958 Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

The 3090 and the 3270 are both, but available only via cableco right now. I believe he was referring to them (or a different model) becoming available "over the counter" to the general population.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #95 of 958 Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 154
How many here actually have this? Is this supposed to be purchased or leased like DaveTV's boxes?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #96 of 958 Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many here actually have this? Is this supposed to be purchased or leased like DaveTV's boxes?

Many TWC subs, myself included, have the SMT-H3090. Its rented out by TWC just like any other STB/DVR. It is more or less functionally equivalent to an SA 8300HDC... but it is newer hardware that is better optimized for and, supposedly, fully compliant with the OCAP/tru2way spec.

There is a good amount of information on these boxes to be found in the TWC Navigator thread, and also in the individual TWC divisional threads... the Charlotte and NYC threads probably have the most active Samsung discussions of the divisonal threads.

post #97 of 958 Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Sure it wasn't HDCP - not DHCP?

I have not had that issue with my Onkyo 876 and two different 3090s, but I have had an issue where Navigator will not boot with the HDMI cable connected to the 876. Have to unplug the cable or power down the receiver to get Navigator to boot on the Sammie. Been the same way with two different 3090s (and I gave up a 320GB HDD version on the first one thinking it was an issue with that particular box ).

I get the HDCP authorization error HDMI port disabled when I hook it up to my Yamaha RXV-3900 receiver with a late specification HDMI cable. If I revert to an older cable which I purchased about 5 years ago it works. I wonder if it is possible to change one of the settings in the diagnostics to correct this issue.
post #98 of 958 Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskultety View Post

I get the HDCP authorization error HDMI port disabled when I hook it up to my Yamaha RXV-3900 receiver with a late specification HDMI cable. If I revert to an older cable which I purchased about 5 years ago it works. I wonder if it is possible to change one of the settings in the diagnostics to correct this issue.

Are you sure that the newer cable is a good cable? If the other cable works, why not just use it?

The only HDMI related setting I have found is Option 13 (Enable/Disable "Allow NC HDMI TV") in the advanced diag menu. However, I have tried it both enabled and disabled and have never noticed any differences between the two in how the box behaves. I have no indication of what its purpose is.

post #99 of 958 Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Are you sure that the newer cable is a good cable? If the other cable works, why not just use it?

The only HDMI related setting I have found is Option 13 (Enable/Disable "Allow NC HDMI TV") in the advanced diag menu. However, I have tried it both enabled and disabled and have never noticed any differences between the two in how the box behaves. I have no indication of what its purpose is.

Yes, I have confirmed that the newer cable is good. I will be using the older one now thanks to you that I am able to enable AC3 over HDMI.
post #100 of 958 Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I usually connect my box to two tvs. If I use component to one tv and hdmi to the other, if i turn in the hdmi device it disables the component video - this also occured on my sa 8300hdc. Composite output works fine concurrently with hdmi. I am wondering if this setting (Enable/Disable "Allow NC HDMI TV") will enable the component and hdmi to run concurrently - however I am too lazy right now to move my tv to reconnect the component cables to test.
post #101 of 958 Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Is anyone having problems with the volume? With my 8300HD, TV volume of 15 was good. With the 3090, I need to put the TV volume to 45 to get similar sound levels.
post #102 of 958 Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mmyL33 View Post

Is anyone having problems with the volume? With my 8300HD, TV volume of 15 was good. With the 3090, I need to put the TV volume to 45 to get similar sound levels.

HDMI, digital (coax/optical) or analog out? If you are controlling volume at the TV, have you set the box to fixed output level?

I never noticed any significant volume difference between my previous 8300HDC and the 3090, but that was either with HDMI or digital output. I never used the analog outs at all on either box.

post #103 of 958 Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:

HDMI, digital (coax/optical) or analog out? If you are controlling volume at the TV, have you set the box to fixed output level?

I never noticed any significant volume difference between my previous 8300HDC and the 3090, but that was either with HDMI or digital output. I never used the analog outs at all on either box.

I'm connected via HDMI. Changed the remote to control the volume on the 3090 instead of the TV, but did not work.
post #104 of 958 Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Ok so this is likely user error but I will ask as I did not have this "problem" with my SA box. I am using a Sony kds-50a2000 running thru component. With this box I have had no luck getting the video to default to wide zoom on my tv for standard def channels. I have wide zoom set as the 4:3 default on the tv and normal set on screen size on the box. I have tried every combo of resolution and 4:3 and 16:9 settings on the samsung box but the tv always defaults back to full and the TV tells me it is a 16:9

Thoughts?
post #105 of 958 Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mmyL33 View Post

Just out of curiosity, could the 3090 be putting out multi-channel DD5.1 (with the TV volume reflecting only LF and RF of the multi-channel content) whereas the 8300 is putting out 2-channel stereo DD2.0? I don't believe LF/RF is equivalent to 2-channel stereo.

There could be a considerable difference in these volume levels. I know that if I play a DD5.1 program through my Yamaha RX-V863 as "straight" and going to my simple 2.1 speakers (equivalent to two TV speakers) the volume from the speakers is quite low. If I change the receiver to pass the "2-channel stereo" audio program it is much louder.

Just a thought. (I don't own either Samsung or SA DVR, but instead have a Moto DCH-3416).
post #106 of 958 Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My understanding (can't guarantee I'm correct) is that the originating device only sends DD 5.1 when the device it's connected to acknowledges it can use it. AND I find a very wide range of levels even from channel to channel when they are sending and I am using their DD 5.1 signals. Again, my guess is this is because DD 5.1 is meant as a very wide dynamic range audio, so distributors (like TWC) don't mess with the signal at all.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #107 of 958 Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnz28 View Post

Ok so this is likely user error but I will ask as I did not have this "problem" with my SA box. I am using a Sony kds-50a2000 running thru component. With this box I have had no luck getting the video to default to wide zoom on my tv for standard def channels. I have wide zoom set as the 4:3 default on the tv and normal set on screen size on the box. I have tried every combo of resolution and 4:3 and 16:9 settings on the samsung box but the tv always defaults back to full and the TV tells me it is a 16:9

Thoughts?

i dont watch sd stretched or zoomed but i just did just test for you on my sony KDS-R60XBR2. on the TV's remote i pushed the "wide" button. this button alows me to cycle through full, zoom, wide zoom, normal on the TV. you probably have a simmilar button on your remote. i always keep it on full. none of these modes produce an actual zoomed picture that fills the screen. they simply zoom and stretch within a 4x3 box.
then using the DVR remote i went Menu->settings->display->picturesize->zoom->select->C.
with the samsung aspect set to 16x9 and passing all resolutions to the TV(my normal set up) i was able get a true zoom filled screen. and when i navigated away from the SD channel and then back it was still zoomed. this didnt seem to have an effect on the HD channel. it was a 4x3 feed and it was still 4x3. but the SD channel stayed zoomed
so try leaving the TV set to full, change the box picture size to zoom, aspect 16x9, all resolutions passed.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #108 of 958 Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

i dont watch sd stretched or zoomed but i just did just test for you on my sony KDS-R60XBR2. on the TV's remote i pushed the "wide" button. this button alows me to cycle through full, zoom, wide zoom, normal on the TV. you probably have a simmilar button on your remote. i always keep it on full. none of these modes produce an actual zoomed picture that fills the screen. they simply zoom and stretch within a 4x3 box.
then using the DVR remote i went Menu->settings->display->picturesize->zoom->select->C.
with the samsung aspect set to 16x9 and passing all resolutions to the TV(my normal set up) i was able get a true zoom filled screen. and when i navigated away from the SD channel and then back it was still zoomed. this didnt seem to have an effect on the HD channel. it was a 4x3 feed and it was still 4x3. but the SD channel stayed zoomed
so try leaving the TV set to full, change the box picture size to zoom, aspect 16x9, all resolutions passed.

I'm with you on not stretching native 4:3... but out of curiosity I checked it out and what you describe works perfectly... 4:3 SD is automatically stretched and HD programming is not. Two observations I would like to add:
  • This method will automatically stretch SD 4:3, but it will not automatically stretch 4:3 programming pilllarboxed within a 16:9 HD channel. No equipment I know of will do this automatically because the black bars are just an integral part of the video in that case. However, it can still be stretched by manually setting the aspect control (in my case, either the STB, AVR or the TV can do this) and reverted to "normal" after that program is finished (otherwise real HD will stretched as well).
  • If you change the STB Aspect to Stretch on the fly via the discrete Aspect IR command (the TWC Synergy V remote I was supplied with the box does not support this, but my H1 does), the Aspect reverts to whatever the Settings Menu setup is when you change channels. It does not "stick" like changing it in the settings menu does. This is actually a nice feature so you can make changes occasionally without losing your default settings.
Thankfully, none of this is typically an issue for me, as I just have everything set to "normal" all the way through the chain and enjoy watching all programming in its unadulterated OAR.

post #109 of 958 Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By factory default, the HDMI output carries 2ch PCM audio only. You need to enter the Samsung diagnostics pages to change a setting to enable AC3 over HDMI:
  • Enter diagnostics by holding [Vol+] and [INFO] simultaneously on the front panel for about 10 seconds, then release.
  • Once you enter the diagnostic mode, use the arrow keys to enter the "Extended Diags"
  • Once in Extended Diags, go to "Diagnostics" - it is password protected... "3090"
  • Once you are on the password protected Diagnostics page, enter "14" then "Select" to toggle AC3 support over HDMI. Change is instantaneous.
  • Hit "Exit" a few times to get out of diagnostics page.

AVS to the rescue once again! Thanks for the info.
post #110 of 958 Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 AM

Hey everyone,

I've been getting an "E007" message popping up on my box from time to time. I'm assuming it's an error message, but does anyone know what it's about?

On a possibly related issue, I've got TWC coming out tomorrow evening already; I've been getting black channels at random, channels showing up as "unavailable" (and not coming up when hitting "try again"), and On Demand not working at all... The technician I spoke with on the phone said that he couldn't get any signal back from the box at all, so looked like there was a signal strength issue (which interestingly did not exist prior to getting this box; maybe this new one is more sensitive to signal issues than the old 8300HDC).

Best,
Jeff
post #111 of 958 Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On can change AR on both the STB and the TY. Sometimes you have to use the STB, sometimes the TV. I never, ever stretch, but I do occasionally zoom. If I get a black 4 sides on a SD channel, OI have to use the TVs zoom. If I get the same on a HD channel (rarely) I use the STBs zoom.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #112 of 958 Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:

That works as described other than the TV still says the signal is 16:9. Also I do not want the cable box to zoom. I want the TV to see it is getting a 4:3 signal on the SD channels and thus able to use the "auto" wide" setting on the TV to make 4:3 programming go to wide zoom. I prefer the Sonys wide zoom capability as it cuts off less off the bottom and does not bother me to watch as have been doing so for the past few years this way.

I have tried to pull up the hardware diagnostics page as mentioned on page one to see what the SD video output is but I am not able to pull up this menu system for some reason.

BTW, I am using the component out on the box which is what I used on the SA box to do this same thing
post #113 of 958 Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnz28 View Post

I have tried to pull up the hardware diagnostics page as mentioned on page one to see what the SD video output is but I am not able to pull up this menu system for some reason.

Make sure that you're pressing the volume+ and info buttons on the actual box, not the buttons on the remote.
post #114 of 958 Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Is Mystro software common on these boxes?
post #115 of 958 Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

Is Mystro software common on these boxes?

The ODN version of Mystro/Navigator is the only software available on these boxes, at least at TWC and BrightHouse, and they are the only MSOs currently deploying the boxes.

post #116 of 958 Old 07-28-2009, 05:35 PM

I currently have a Sci Atl 3800 with an Iomega 500G DVR Expander. Things were working fine until the vol started cutting out on recent recordings. Its gotten pretty consistent now and TW-NYC (Manhattan - Lincoln Square) suggested swapping out for a Samsung 3090. They can't tell me if I would get a 160 or 320G version and I don't want the box unless I can hook up the ext HD through the eSata.

Has anyone gotten one of these yet and been successfully able to hook-up an external HD?
post #117 of 958 Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicesq View Post

I currently have a Sci Atl 3800 with an Iomega 500G DVR Expander. Things were working fine until the vol started cutting out on recent recordings. Its gotten pretty consistent now and TW-NYC (Manhattan - Lincoln Square) suggested swapping out for a Samsung 3090. They can't tell me if I would get a 160 or 320G version and I don't want the box unless I can hook up the ext HD through the eSata.

Has anyone gotten one of these yet and been successfully able to hook-up an external HD?

Someone one posted at dslreports they used a WD Expander with the Samsung box and it worked. My box is 160gb. Is NYC giving out 320gb?

Anybody find a use for the network port?
post #118 of 958 Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

Someone one posted at dslreports they used a WD Expander with the Samsung box and it worked. My box is 160gb. Is NYC giving out 320gb?

Anybody find a use for the network port?

I replaced my internal 160gb drive with a 320 and it has been running fine with no problems. I connected the port to my home network but was unable to see it even when I used a DLNA pc server application. The unit is supposed to be DLNA, UPnp compliant and should allow you to share the contents over a network.
post #119 of 958 Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So it can go to 320 GB but not higher.
post #120 of 958 Old 07-30-2009, 02:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Samsung is a true2way DVR. OTA doesn't really make sense on a true2way DVR which, by definition, downloads and runs software from the cable company. For the foreseeable future, all true2way DVRs will lack their own software; they'll depend on the cable company to supply the software and guide data.

Yes, technically these boxes have software, but it is only middleware to download and run the cable company's software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Probably about $600. Thats how much a cable company would pay for it. Samsung might release a tru2way DVR but it will probably have no OTA support. They don't think having OTA support would work in a cable optimized DVR.

Cost is closer to $300 than $600.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page