post #31 of 74 Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam856 View Post

.....I saw we can use ethernet for the streams, I really hope you can include support for media players. Like my PS3.

The only media players which will ever be allowed to stream content over ethernet will be the likes of XBOX360 & PS3 whose manufacturers are able and willing to deal with encrypted streams. My guess is that ALL content will be subject to encryption since there is the possibility of copy once/never content could be streamed. It will cost a lot of money to add this to media players and the likes of Tvix/Dune/WD wont sheel out the bucks required to appease big content/cable company paranoia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtaste View Post

From my experience the behavior is pretty much exactly like the 779x.

I'm on Sunflower Broadband in Lawrence, Kansas and recently picked up this system. The 30-second skip, pause, FF, REW responsiveness is extremely slow and frustrating.

I love the convenience, but I sure don't like the hardware. U-Verse isn't available to us yet, but I'll be curious to see what the responsiveness is like with them.
post #33 of 74 Old 01-17-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwjhawk View Post

The 30-second skip, pause, FF, REW responsiveness is extremely slow and frustrating.

This is not normal or expected. Did you have a stand alone Apache or Aspen before you got the HCS setup? If so, how much slower is this than your previous configuration.

Can you please post screen caps for the MoCA diags pages (they can be found under page 26 (HCS)).

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #34 of 74 Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

This is not normal or expected. Did you have a stand alone Apache or Aspen before you got the HCS setup? If so, how much slower is this than your previous configuration.

Can you please post screen caps for the MoCA diags pages (they can be found under page 26 (HCS)).

My previous standalone DVR was a Pace Tahoe... maybe it was excessively fast?

With the Tahoe, I was able to press 30-second skip 6 times in a row and blow through commercials. Now, as a PP mentioned, I have to press, wait, press, wait sometimes, the delay is so excessive that I'm not sure if it's received my request.

Requested screencap:

\\
post #35 of 74 Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwjhawk View Post

Requested screencap:

Can you please select each node and report the MoCA info for the node?

Thanks.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #36 of 74 Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Can you please select each node and report the MoCA info for the node?

Thanks.

post #37 of 74 Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bmwjhawk,

Thanks for the additional screen caps. You seem to have a very nice MoCA install based on the #'s I see in diags.

Am I correct that you only have one MoCA client on your network? Do you have an ethernet client also?

Linden
post #38 of 74 Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:

The first release supports Apache clients which have been available for quite a while now and are documented in the Pace MPEG-4 boxes thread. How they are used are described in the Engadget article. The reason for Apache as opposed to the other STBs you outlined is it ships without an HDD so its more cost effective for the cable provider.

Yes but what about those of us with an investment in the existing boxes, Summits in my case?
post #39 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritiker View Post

Yes but what about those of us with an investment in the existing boxes, Summits in my case?

I understand your concerns, but I can only comment on publicly available information and Apache is the only publicly announced HCS client at the current time. Sorry.

Linden
post #40 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Recently received my Jayhawk and three Apaches from Sunflower. I love it already. I am assuming the firmware updates haven't reached a point where external hard drives are accepted (please correct me if I'm wrong). When that happens, will the external HDD be plugged into the Jayhawk? Will formatting be similar to the previous Pace HD DVR box? I can't see an obvious way to get into any Jayhawk menus, but I know how to get to the Apache diagnostic menus.

(o|||||||o)
post #41 of 74 Old 04-04-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestergrande View Post

I am assuming the firmware updates haven't reached a point where external hard drives are accepted (please correct me if I'm wrong).

You're understanding is correct. eSATA drives are not yet supported in the current Jayhawk firmware release.

Quote:

When that happens, will the external HDD be plugged into the Jayhawk?

If/when eSATA drives are supported, they would be connected to the Jayhawk (server) and not the client (Apache).

Quote:

Will formatting be similar to the previous Pace HD DVR box?

Since that functionality isn't available, I can't definitively state how you'd format it, but its likely that you'd be able to format it via diagnostics like its done today on stand alone boxes.

Quote:

I can't see an obvious way to get into any Jayhawk menus, but I know how to get to the Apache diagnostic menus.

Since Jayhawk doesn't have an output port, its diagnostics are obtained via (through) the Apache. To get there, go to diags Page 26, then select NAS. At that point, you're in the Jayhawk diags.

Linden
post #42 of 74 Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks, lindend. Your info is always appreciated. Functionality is great so far. However, in the last couple weeks, I have had two problems. First thing - two Apaches on other TVs (not main TV) were not be able to see what had been recorded on the Jayhawk, so I unplugged the Jayhawk and then reconnected - seemed to work. Secondly, I lost about 80% of my recordings (about 25 HD recordings), which were a mix of half hour and hour long HD shows and some HD movies. I lost them all when our house lost power two days ago. I seem to remember the previous HD DVRs having the same issue, but it was mostly HD programs over an hour that were affected (if I remember correctly), and I don't remember it happening after I hooked up an external HDD. This time, I lost most everything accept for a few seemingly random programs. Is there a reason the internal HDD recorded items are affected by power outages but my previous box with external HDD didn't seem to be affected?

(o|||||||o)
post #43 of 74 Old 04-10-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Thanks, lindend. Your info is always appreciated. Functionality is great so far. However, in the last couple weeks, I have had two problems. First thing - two Apaches on other TVs (not main TV) were not be able to see what had been recorded on the Jayhawk, so I unplugged the Jayhawk and then reconnected - seemed to work. Secondly, I lost about 80% of my recordings (about 25 HD recordings), which were a mix of half hour and hour long HD shows and some HD movies. I lost them all when our house lost power two days ago. I seem to remember the previous HD DVRs having the same issue, but it was mostly HD programs over an hour that were affected (if I remember correctly), and I don't remember it happening after I hooked up an external HDD. This time, I lost most everything accept for a few seemingly random programs. Is there a reason the internal HDD recorded items are affected by power outages but my previous box with external HDD didn't seem to be affected?

Very likely its using a poorly written proprietary file system (non-journalled) due to encryption paranoia?
post #44 of 74 Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Very likely its using a poorly written proprietary file system (non-journalled) due to encryption paranoia?

Jayhawk uses the same filesystem as other Pace boxes and its not proprietary...its a standard Linux filesystem.

Linden
post #45 of 74 Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a reason the internal HDD recorded items are affected by power outages but my previous box with external HDD didn't seem to be affected?

Its a bug and we've been investigating. When you encounter these type of issues (loss of connectivity to the Jayhawk), I'd recommend power cycling the clients first before rebooting the Jayhawk. Usually that will remedy the issue.

Linden
post #46 of 74 Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Its a bug and we've been investigating. When you encounter these type of issues (loss of connectivity to the Jayhawk), I'd recommend power cycling the clients first before rebooting the Jayhawk. Usually that will remedy the issue.

Thanks, I'll try cycling power on the clients next time. Do you recommend just powering all three clients off and then on again, or powering them all off, unplug, plug in and powering on again?

(o|||||||o)
post #47 of 74 Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you recommend just powering all three clients off and then on again, or powering them all off, unplug, plug in and powering on again?

I'd only power cycle the client(s) you were having issues with. One other thing you might try before rebooting anything is to pull the ethernet cable for 20-30 seconds and then reconnect. This may cause recordings that aren't in sync to be synchronized.

How frequently are you seeing this problem?

Linden
post #48 of 74 Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:

How frequently are you seeing this problem?

The past week, it's been about every other day. I typically turn off each client when not in use. I never turn off the Jayhawk drive. Is that the recommended method, or should all stay on all the time?

(o|||||||o)
post #49 of 74 Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The past week, it's been about every other day. I typically turn off each client when not in use. I never turn off the Jayhawk drive. Is that the recommended method, or should all stay on all the time?

The Jayhawk should be left on at all times unless something is wrong.

When you say you turn each client off, do you mean the power button on the front panel or removing the AC power to the box? The AC power should remain on at all times unless you want to reboot it.

How many recordings do you have?

Linden
post #50 of 74 Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Long time...

No major problems recently, other than the annoyance of a "glitch" (?) after watching a recording from DVR and then, when going to the live channel, it's not live. You have to change channels to get back to true live. And, if you try starting another recording before you do that, there can be problems (not starting, breaking into two parts, etc.). Haven't lost any recordings in some time. Maybe due to cable co. installing booster.

Any word on when the eSATA port will be activated via firmware update? The lack of space is annoying when recording HD exclusively, especially when I have 1GB that I used on previous Pace box sitting there collecting dust.

(o|||||||o)
post #51 of 74 Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I too have been having the "not showing all recordings" issue. I reboot the clients, and they show back up, but it is a pain to always have to do this. I have contacted sunflower about it, and they always tell me the same thing, just to unplug and replug. Just wanted to post to let you know others are having the same issues. Let me know if you would like more details (ie dia. pages, etc).

Thanks

Gudy
post #52 of 74 Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM

My provider (Mediacom) just replaced my oldest Pace DVR with a new DC700X. We also have a TDC787X and I am curious with their new "whole house" offering can the 787 work as a client too and or can both units function as client and server for either room??

Should I return the 787 and replace it with a 700 to make this work??

Thanks in advance.....
post #53 of 74 Old 10-24-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Any word on when the eSATA port will be activated via firmware update? The lack of space is annoying when recording HD exclusively, especially when I have 1GB that I used on previous Pace box sitting there collecting dust.

Just checking in on the eSATA port being activated on the Jayhawk so I can hook up my external 500GB to the existing 500GB. I'm paying twice as much to have Home Content Sharing in multiple rooms and I can't even hook up an external HDD like everyone else. Sounds like I'm whining.

(o|||||||o)
post #54 of 74 Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrownover View Post

My provider (Mediacom) just replaced my oldest Pace DVR with a new DC700X. We also have a TDC787X and I am curious with their new "whole house" offering can the 787 work as a client too and or can both units function as client and server for either room??

You would have to get another DC700X as well as a Jayhawk. The 787X currently doesn't have software available to support multi-room viewing.
post #55 of 74 Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM

does it matter wich client is paired with the nas?
post #56 of 74 Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 PM

I am having issues with this multiroom dvr.

I'm trying to reformat the hdd and it's literally taking days lol.
How long does it take to format a 500gb drive?

Second, which is the best way to connect client boxes? Ethernet or RG6 cable line? Right now the cable guy is using existing cable line and he had to install a filter on our incoming cable line, so the high frequency used to communicate between the boxes doesn't bleed back out to the node and cause major problems. Now however, I'm having an issue with the internet, and I'm pretty sure it's that filter. It's knocked our 20mb service down to 1mg and the cable techs have no clue what the problem is or how to fix it.
post #57 of 74 Old 12-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Do you have the release notes for the new Denali? And anything for the new firmware of the Jayhawk that loaded when the Denali was installed?

ItsNewToYou
post #58 of 74 Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Hey, I've got a quick question for you guys. Can the Pace whole house solution talk to a server such as PlayOn to pull media content from our computers?
post #59 of 74 Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnewtoyou View Post

Do you have the release notes for the new Denali?

Who's your cable provider?

Linden
post #60 of 74 Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyork View Post

Hey, I've got a quick question for you guys. Can the Pace whole house solution talk to a server such as PlayOn to pull media content from our computers?

Not at the current time.

Linden
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page