Pace Home Content Sharing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is for the discussion of the Pace Home Content Sharing (HCS) product. HCS enables you to have a diskless, full dual tuner solution for every STB client in your home and also share/view recorded content on any client.

The recordings are stored on a NAS (aka Jayhawk) and can be accessed by any client on the network.

Background/Press Releases:
Articles on HCS:

Firmware Release Notes:
Online manuals:

Online Advertising/Promos:

Sunflower Multi-Room DVR

FAQ:

1. How are clients connected to the NAS?

Either Ethernet (GigE if more than one client) or MoCA 1.1 (RF).

2. How many simultaneous streams are supported by the NAS in the initial release?

Up to 9 full-bitrate MPEG-2 HD streams (six recording and three playback).

3. Does Jayhawk support eSATA drives?

eSATA support is not available in the initial release. It will be added in a future maintenance release.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Awesome! Thanks for posting

Can you give us some insight on how it is used, perhaps more pictures?

EDIT: One more question, will this still use the iGuide software interface?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

Can you give us some insight on how it is used, perhaps more pictures?

I will be updating the initial post as time permits with FAQs, docs, release notes etc.

Quote:

will this still use the iGuide software interface?

The same revision of TV Guide is used in both HCS and non-HCS firmware releases. We've added a new screen where you can see/play/manage/delete all of the recordings on the Network but there's no new UI to learn.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM

More questions:

How many clients will the MoCA 1.1 connection support?

Will iGuide support the other features of the Connected Platform product like, DLNA?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Please add a uPNP server on the NAS that would serve all the shows (including HD content) that don't have CCI Copy Protection bit set to a uPNP client (like the PS3). Don't forget to make sure uPNP FF/RR and skip works to allow customer's to skip commercials.

I would assume that content with the Copy Protection bit set would not be allowed by cable labs to be sent over uPNP. But Microsoft Media Center and Tivo are not encrypting non-Copy Protection bit content which would allow users to currently use uPNP to share them.

This new product sounds cool.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many clients will the MoCA 1.1 connection support?

The system currently supports up to three fully functional dual tuner DVR clients. If you choose Ethernet, a GigE switch is a requirement.

Quote:

Will iGuide support the other features of the Connected Platform product like, DLNA?

Can't get into too much technical detail right now until the initial press releases/announces are complete. Hope you understand.

I will answer both of your questions in detail in the future though.

Linden
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM

How will the HCS handle the various Cable box tuners in a situation like this:

3 shows are recording on 2 cable boxes, if the user wants to watch a live show on the cable box that is currently using its two tuners to record, can it switch to the free tuner on the unused cable box to continue recording and display the live show?

Perhaps will it stream the show all the way from the unused tuner, as if it were playing back a recording?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Can't get into too much technical detail right now until the initial press releases/announces are complete. Hope you understand.

I will answer both of your questions in detail in the future though.

Totally understand, thanks for all the info!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Please add a uPNP server on the NAS

You'll be happy to hear that the NAS is a uPNP server.

As to the specifics of your other requests, I will answer, just give me some time.

Linden
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Call me cynical, but you will have to use the cablco's propritery NAS and not be able to add/upgrade HDD's?

Further, functionality will be intentionally crippled.

And not many cableco's will want the burden of more "expensive" leased hardware (NAS) & related support costs.
Heck-what does this provide which existing motorola DVR's have technologicaly provided but cableco's ELECTED to cripple for years?

Good luck-I would like to see more functionality offered to consumers, but dont see the cable operators becoming progressive thinkers anytime soon.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Call me cynical, but you will have to use the cablco's propritery NAS and not be able to add/upgrade HDD's?

There is an eSATA port on the server (DC900X). The first software release does not support eSATA but a follow-on release will offer eSATA support as mentioned in the press release. Since you'll be able to attach any HDD you want, can you explain why you think you can't add your own storage?

Quote:

Further, functionality will be intentionally crippled.

Please explain, what functionality do you believe will be intentionally crippled?

Quote:

And not many cableco's will want the burden of more "expensive" leased hardware (NAS) & related support costs.

As witnessed by customer statements/testimonials in the press releases in the first post, cable companies that are our customers are extremely enthused about this solution. Reaction to the product at SCTE also has been amazing.

Judging from the PMs I've been receiving, AVS customers are extremely exited about it also. In addition, I'm in close contact with numerous people that have trialed the solution and they indicate they couldn't live without it.

Why do you believe MSOs will not be interested in this solution?

Quote:

Heck-what does this provide which existing motorola DVR's have technologicaly provided but cableco's ELECTED to cripple for years?

Here are some highlights of things that can only be done with this solution:
  • Ability to view/play/delete content recorded by any client in the home.
  • Ability to pause playback in one room and resume in another room.
  • MoCA 1.1 support.
  • IP streaming in the home (either MoCA or Ethernet--you are not locked into either transport).
  • Don't need to be a Ph. D to use it. Each client is a fully-functional DVR that can record two MPEG-2 HD streams and play an MPEG-2 HD stream. If you know how to use a standalone DVR, you know how to use this. Other solutions have playback only clients and a convoluted playback matrices once clients start streaming HD content.
  • Ability to see exactly what other clients are playing/recording (I'll be posting screen shots at some point).
  • Don't have to worry about clients being limited by the number of tuners on the server.
  • Don't have to worry about the kids stealing a tuner on the server away to record Barney while you're watching the last two minutes of a football game (i.e. the clients are not limited by the availability of tuners on the server).

Quote:

but dont see the cable operators becoming progressive thinkers anytime soon.

Please re-read the Engadget article. They got to play with the system at the show and said this:

There aren't many times where we're caught off guard by a new product enough to think, why didn't we think of that, but this is one of them. The set-top-box manufacture, Pace, has just launched one of the coolest multi-room DVR solutions we've ever heard of.

Sounds pretty progressive to me.

Linden
Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3 shows are recording on 2 cable boxes, if the user wants to watch a live show on the cable box that is currently using its two tuners to record, can it switch to the free tuner on the unused cable box to continue recording and display the live show?

The tuner sharing feature that you outline above is not available in the first release. Remember, the same version of TV Guide is used in the HCS solution and that is limited to two tuners per client.

What you do get is a fully functional dual-tuner DVR in each client (i.e. you shouldn't be losing any functionality).

Linden
Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well, lets see. Motorola boxes have had:
Ethernet-Check
USB-Check
eSATA-Check
IEEE1394-Check
DOCIS Modem-Check
For years. How many of those have the MSO's enabled? Lets see:
eSATA-NO
USB-NO
Ethernet-NO
IEEE1394-Only by Federal Government Mandate!
Modem-?Presumably for communication w/head end?

So the exclusive features you mention are pretty much software.
Who controls the STB software-MSO's.
Why havent they enabled this hardware functionality?
Why dont the cable operators @SCTE you mentioned know what they could have done years ago?

Dont get me wrong-I too would love features like what you mention.
I just dont have faith in the MSO's.

I hope you guys become billionaires with this idea and it catches on in a big way-good luck.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Am I correct in assuming that this product involves completely new hardware and that existing Pace PVRs, Tahoe, Aspen, Whistler, Summit etc. cannot be integrated in some useful way?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritiker View Post

Am I correct in assuming that this product involves completely new hardware and that existing Pace PVRs, Tahoe, Aspen, Whistler, Summit etc. cannot be integrated in some useful way?

The first release supports Apache clients which have been available for quite a while now and are documented in the Pace MPEG-4 boxes thread. How they are used are described in the Engadget article. The reason for Apache as opposed to the other STBs you outlined is it ships without an HDD so its more cost effective for the cable provider.

Linden
Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

eSATA-NO

All of the MSOs (other than Comcast) that supply Pace boxes have enabled the eSATA port for years. The eSATA issue are/were due to problems with MOT firmware/TV Guide and not an MSO issue.

Quote:

So the exclusive features you mention are pretty much software.

For the most part, you are right. Software is the big differentiator. But the MoCA and Ethernet capabilities are new and different from those you outline above.

Quote:

Why dont the cable operators @SCTE you mentioned know what they could have done years ago?

Are you talking about Motorola boxes or Pace boxes? Pace boxes have had some of those features enabled at a variety of MSOs. Unfortunately, I can't get into specifics about any MSO's adoption rates of new technology (or MSOs in general). Those on the thread can feel free to continue the discussion, but its an area I can't comment on publicly other than to say that they are very excited about HCS and have deployed other technologies Pace has introduced in the past that were not available in other STB providers.

If you read carefully through my post (and other posts of mine) you may find some hints as to reasons for the issues you outlined above.

Linden
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The first post in this thread has been updated with links to the Jayhawk and Apache release notes.

Linden
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is an exciting product for sure. Now only if the people in charge of the software / user interface would spruce it up a notch.

Say, if Rovi would get with the bandwagen, would this solution be able to support an HD guide user interface? Doesn't have to be 1080p or anything... 720p would do. Anything's better than the SD "Super Nintendo" era graphics from 1992.

Now if we could install the Moxi software on it, maybe that would be cool :-)

Hope Comcast picks this up. I have a feeling Service Electric might too (they use Pace stuff already).
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

You'll be happy to hear that the NAS is a uPNP server.

If the NAS is only uPNP to the clients, how well does FF/RR and 30 sec skip work? Is it just as responsive as when the HDD is in the client? I am not impressed with the 30sec skip response on the PACE 779x (when you press it 5 quick times hoping to have it jump instantly forward 2.5min and instead it sequentially process each jump with a little video played between each skip).

How well does the commercial skipping work with this central storage model?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:

If the NAS is only uPNP to the clients, how well does FF/RR and 30 sec skip work? Is it just as responsive as when the HDD is in the client? I am not impressed with the 30sec skip response on the PACE 779x (when you press it 5 quick times hoping to have it jump instantly forward 2.5min and instead it sequentially process each jump with a little video played between each skip).

How well does the commercial skipping work with this central storage model?

From my experience the behavior is pretty much exactly like the 779x.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtaste View Post

From my experience the behavior is pretty much exactly like the 779x.

And this is what other testers have reported. Since its the same version of TV guide, this type of behavior should be unchanged.

Linden
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is this product using the latest Broadcom BCM7420 CPU?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Is this product using the latest Broadcom BCM7420 CPU?

Sorry, can't comment on this in a public forum or via PM.

Linden
Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Will this feature be available on the 787x DVR model?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will this feature be available on the 787x DVR model?

Not at the current time. The priority has been on diskless clients given the lower cost to the cable provider. However, several cable providers have requested it be supported.

Linden
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI,

Updated the first post with a link to Sunflower's HCS comparison web page.

Linden
Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 PM

I keep lurking on Buckeyes website hoping for some info about this. This may actually cause me to own more then one box.

I saw we can use ethernet for the streams, I really hope you can include support for media players. Like my PS3.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:04 PM

Will there be a feature that allows the customer to backup their recorded content so if a hard drive at the server fails they don't lose everything?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icewalker View Post

Will there be a feature that allows the customer to backup their recorded content so if a hard drive at the server fails they don't lose everything?

Not in the initial release. I've logged your request (others have requested it also).

Linden
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam856 View Post

I really hope you can include support for media players. Like my PS3.

This feature is not in the first release. However, this is a popular request and I've logged it.

Linden