TWC Samsung DVR features - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using the ClearQAM tuner on my HDTV for years (still do as a backup, using a splitter), and got fed up with the lack of HD channels and the fact I didn't have DVR features, so after canceling some channels we never watch (HBO and other movie channels) (we did have an SD DVR on a different TV, just not an HD DVR), we decided to use the savings to get an HD DVR, so after our years of using the SD DVR (SA forgot the model), I was expecting to get an SA HD DVR (I didn't know that TWC offered anything from Samsung) and was surprised when I got the Samsung DVR

When I was installing my DVR (I opted out on the "professional" install, as those installers are anything but professional, horrible previous experience), I noticed an ethernet port on the back of the DVR, and after doing some searching, I heard about MoCA giving cable STBs and DVRs networking capabilities through coax (similar to U-Verse's HPNA over coax), so this got me thinking...

1. Does TWC have any plans on supporting something like online recording scheduling or DVR sharing? (like U-Verse's THDVR and web remote)

2. I heard that there are some features/compatibility allowing access to the DVR from a networked PC (like watching DVR recordings on a PC or doing something like U-Verse's Media share for playing media from networked PCs on TVs equipped with these Samsung boxes), is this true?

3. Using MoCA, what kind of data is being sent to the DVR (other than interactive features)? Does it in any way share data with the cable modem? (we do have Road Runner and digital phone service), and if so, can it use the MoCA connection as some some sort of coax to ethernet bridge?

I think I heard that some cable companies disable the ethernet port on the Samsung DVRs, but it puzzles me why TWC would push these Samsung DVRs and disable the ethernet port when they could just keep pushing the SA HD DVRs they used to, then there's no need to disable the ethernet port as there wouldn't be one, so it seems to me that TWC is using either MoCA or ethernet to their advantage (to compete with U-Verse's, DirecTV's, and Dish Network's features)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Yes they would like to do that. That will come as one of my Samsung 3260's said mOCA on boot. TWC does plan on support Internet DVR scheduling in a future update.

2. No it doesn't work though Multi Room DVR is coming out someday in another future update. It does have DLNA support but we don't know if it's functional. If you plug in the ethernet a light would come on.

3. I'm not sure if MoCA is being used right now. It's mainly for sending recordings to other boxes. The Ethernet is disabled but the manual says you can plug in another STB for it.

TWC's has to make sure the IPG is stable before you add all those cool features. It's going to get better but next year should be much better. Most of the bugs have been ironed out.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

1. Yes they would like to do that. That will come as one of my Samsung 3260's said mOCA on boot. TWC does plan on support Internet DVR scheduling in a future update.

2. No it doesn't work though Multi Room DVR is coming out someday in another future update. It does have DLNA support but we don't know if it's functional. If you plug in the ethernet a light would come on.

3. I'm not sure if MoCA is being used right now. It's mainly for sending recordings to other boxes. The Ethernet is disabled but the manual says you can plug in another STB for it.

TWC's has to make sure the IPG is stable before you add all those cool features. It's going to get better but next year should be much better. Most of the bugs have been ironed out.

1. Sounds nice, i'm not too interested in DVR sharing (someday maybe, I love the feature, but I would like to keep my mother's mitts out of my recordings, she gets delete happy), but I have also gotten my hands dirty with U-Verse lately as well, and I have noticed I have been frequenting the web remote more and more, so the more and more i'm looking for it on TWC as well, so it's nice that MoCA could make this possible, and it's even nicer that TWC is looking in on it

3. The only reason I asked is because my EMTA cable modem is down in the basement connected to a Linksys wireless router, and the second floor has poor wireless signal, definitely when a cordless phone is being used or the microwave is running (and I have devices that are wired only), so I would just be helpful if I could piggyback off the DVR for an internet connection
post #4 of 5 Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

So are there any sites about what TWC plans to do MoCA wise? I can't seem to find much on it anywhere
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedamirault View Post

So are there any sites about what TWC plans to do MoCA wise? I can't seem to find much on it anywhere

Not really. All we know that they want to do Multi room DVR and that they want to do a server like DVR to stream content to various boxes through out the house.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page