Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 2288 Old 03-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I tried the Hard disk with an external dock and I was able to format, then I installed it in the m-6620n and connected to my laptop via usb, it was detected but when I tried to access it didn't appear in the explorer, it was the same after I formatted it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2288 Old 03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What format did you use? (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, EXT, ???)

Does it appear correctly in the TViX menu?

I suggest that you put it back in the external dock, delete all partitions, and then reinstall it in the TViX and use YYue's instructions to format it inside the TViX.
post #273 of 2288 Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks TPeterson and YYue, I just did that and now it is working, I did the upgrade to the latest firmware and now I'm scanning channels, I see
|<< Skip >>| under the progress bar how do you do use this?
post #274 of 2288 Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That prompt indicates that you can jump over channel regions that you know not to have any active/interesting channels by using the >>| and |<< keys. Don't do this until/unless you really know where your channels are. (Hint: the regular cableco designations for digital cable channels have nothing to do with their actual channel numbers)
post #275 of 2288 Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Hi,
I'm having problems with HDTV feature, during the scanning I get over a 100 channels but then after it finishes I go one by one and I only get 11 channels, I get all the channels of the open networks (wgbh 2, abc, cbs, nbc, cw56, Fox) in HD only, also I get the Weather channel, after the 11th channel it freezes and I have to turn it off. Another issue is that it freezes after sometime watching a channel this is random. Any advice on how to resolve this?
Thanks
post #276 of 2288 Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try the beta firmware. Instructions are given in this thread, here.
post #277 of 2288 Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Hi TPeterson, that is the fw that I'm currently using (tvix_6600_1.9.6_B7.fwp), what is interesting is that all the channels TViX identifies are the ones with a dash, for example: 2-1 (wgbh 2 HD),7-1 (nbc HD), 25-1 (Fox sports HD) that are open channels, the only one is not is Weather channel (25-2).
Thanks
post #278 of 2288 Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Please define "identify". The TViX will find and put into the GoTo list all of the clear QAM channels on your cable system (and they all have a "dash" in the channel number there). If you're talking about the Guide population, that's dependent on whether or not your cableco includes EIT data in its PSIP stream for a given channel. The TViX puts those event data in the Guide table for all the channels that carry it.

It seems that cablecos are moving in the direction of carrying PSIP EIT data more frequently, but there are still usually many channels that lack it.

Unfortunately, if you're experiencing freezing with the B7 firmware that likely means that the TViX is confused about one or more of the encrypted channels on your cable. If you can sort out which channels actually carry the clear QAM signals, you can use the >>| and |<< buttons during the channel scan to avoid scanning the encrypted channels and solve the freezing issue.
post #279 of 2288 Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM

When I say "Identifies" I refer that after the scanning is finished I can go to HDTV and watch these channels, I had recorded from some of them too. If I'm at the first channel (2-1) and I go backwards it shows the image of a radio without sound for all channels except one, if I continue going backward it will freeze at a certain point and I have to reboot.
Could you tell me how can I know which channels have clear QAM signals?
Could you explain what is PSIP EIT.
Do you know what is the difference between the M-6620n tuner and an HDTV tuner for example mine is Samsung ln32b640?
Thanks
post #280 of 2288 Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Google PSIP EIT for definitions.

What you describe is consistent with my hypothesis that the TViX is confused by one or more of your encrypted channels.

If your Samsung works like mine, you can use it to help identify which channels are encryped by looking at its list of "all" channels. The ones that are encrypted are greyed out in my Samsung's list. You can use the TViX GoTo list and its Delete button to delete all of the channels that your Samsung shows greyed out. Unfortunately, the Samsung does not show the actual rf channels for those that have PSIP virtual channel numbers, so you can't use the Samsung's list to determine where you should let the TViX scan for clear channels.
post #281 of 2288 Old 03-09-2010, 05:45 AM

When will the 6620N support recordings of off air CC during play back or file transfer. Will it support 608 and 708?
post #282 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Is it possible for devices such as WDTV Live to play the content recorded in this DVR directly w/o downloading it to PC first?
post #283 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Hi, Thanks TPeterson for the advise I deleted the channels that were freezing the TViX, after this I was able to see through the TViX local channels that are free, also WGBH World, PBS 44, Weather channel, RTV (old tv shows), Shop NBC, QVC (shopping channel), MyTV, DayStar, RTP (Portuguese TV), but I cannot see Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, SyFy, AMC, Discovery, Travel Channel, TV Land, Fox News, A&E, FX, CNN, among other channels, basically the ones that I want to record. What is the explanation behind this, why my HDTV tuner can tune this channels and the TViX can not
Thanks
post #284 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelO View Post

Is it possible for devices such as WDTV Live to play the content recorded in this DVR directly w/o downloading it to PC first?

Yes, either via USB or the LAN.
post #285 of 2288 Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capf View Post

Hi, Thanks TPeterson for the advise I deleted the channels that were freezing the TViX, after this I was able to see through the TViX local channels that are free, also WGBH World, PBS 44, Weather channel, RTV (old tv shows), Shop NBC, QVC (shopping channel), MyTV, DayStar, RTP (Portuguese TV), but I cannot see Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, SyFy, AMC, Discovery, Travel Channel, TV Land, Fox News, A&E, FX, CNN, among other channels, basically the ones that I want to record. What is the explanation behind this, why my HDTV tuner can tune this channels and the TViX can not
Thanks

The tuner in the TViX works exactly the same as the one in your HDTV. Have you compared the rf channels those programs are on, viewed on the TV, with the channels in the TViX GoTo list? Have you tried connecting the TViX to the same cable feed that you normally connect to the TV to make sure that the problem is not a lack of signal strength on the TViX' normal cable feed?
post #286 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks TPeterson, you seem to know a lot about the DVICO M6620N, can you also validate whether this will work for me as well?
1. If I buy this M6620N and put it in my living room, I can play the recorded content via WDTV (the old one w/o network) via USB cable. (so the DVR acts like an external hard drive)
2. In another room, I can play the recorded content via WDTV Live via the network.
3. I can play the content of the DVR from any PC via network.
4. I can also play any supported media on my network via this DVR.

So I guess what I'm looking at is to treat the DVICO DVR as my media server. If this is possible, this device is real cool and worth the price tag. The only other way I can think of to achieve this is by buying a HDTV tuner and do the recording of a PC, which I'm trying to avoid.
post #287 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Joel, yes, I believe that 1-4 are all true. (But I don't know what is the value of 1, since the TViX plays stuff every bit as well as the WDTV would)

You didn't ask, but I'll mention that while the TViX is connected as a "USB drive" to another device it does not perform any other functions. I.e., you can't be doing a recording at the same time as you're serving HDD contents over the USB port.
post #288 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Yes, you're right, #1 is not going to give me much value and thank you for the heads up that the TVIX can't do anything else when connected as USB drive to another device!

Do you know how well the TVIX play iso file? I know it supports the format, but does it play DVD menu?

Is there any other DVR beside TVIX that can play recorded content via the network? I don't seem to find much option in this category.
post #289 of 2288 Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelO View Post

Do you know how well the TVIX play iso file? I know it supports the format, but does it play DVD menu?

Yes, it does play DVD menus, although I haven't tried it with very many such files so I don't know if there are problematic ones.
post #290 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM

I tried connecting the TViX directly to the cable, scanned channels and got the same result as previously (no Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, SyFy, AMC, Discovery, etc). One thing I notice is that in both cases (connecting directly and through splitter) the channels that I missing they appear in the Radio tab, when I use Goto there are 2 tabs on top of the window one is DTV and the other is Radio, on the DTV tab I can watch any of the channels, on the Radio tab I can only see a radio icon in the center of the screen the same icon that appears when TViX is scanning channels.
The signal strength for all the channels I check had 5 bars in DTV and Radio tab.
The channel numbers in TViX are the same as in the HDTV at least the ones that I checked.
Another thing I noticed is that the volume is lower in the TViX than in the HDTV
post #291 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The additional information changes everything! TViX is finding the channels but mistaking their purpose, which must mean that it's not properly parsing the transport stream.

The best way to get this addressed would be to supply DViCo with a sample of the transport stream for analysis.

1. Are all of these misidentified programs on the same rf channel (the number before the dash)?

2. Do you have any other DTV tuner, such as a PC tuner, that you could use to capture a short clip of the full stream from the problem channel(s)?

3. If not, where are you? It's possible that there's another AVS Forum member who could capture some clips for us.

Regarding the sound level, have you tried increasing the volume setting using the TViX remote?
post #292 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM

The channels that are not identified by TViX and are in the DTV tab are this format xx-xxxx for example 62-1507, this channel doesn't appear in the All Channel list of the HDTV, another channel is 117-x, these ones appear in the All Channel list of the HDTV. The effect on TViX when I select these channels is that it freezes

This is a silly question, but I can't find how to enter the dash "-" using the remote
post #293 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can't enter a dash. When you start entering numbers a partial list appears on screen and you can use the up/down arrow buttons to select from those.

Now, what about answering my questions?? You've only supplied a partial answer to 1: Channels 62 and 117 are problematic. Any others? Can you provide clips? Where are you?
post #294 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm located in Cambridge Massachusetts, sorry I don't have other dtv tuner.
About the rf channels TViX can't see maybe the following info will help

26-8 AMC 235.25 mhz
26-9 Discovery channel 235.25 mhz
27-3 Animal planet 241.25 mhz
27-7 CNN 241.25 mhz
28-3 Lifetime 247.25 mhz
28-6 A&E 247.25 mhz
28-7 History channel 247.25 mhz
29-8 TNT 253.25 mhz
30-3 Lifetime movie 259.25 mhz

217.25 mhz is the lowest channel TViX allows me to see, the upper limit is 589.25 mhz

I use the TViX remote to raise the volume and it worked, I had to go almost to the max to have the same volume the HDTV has.
Now I will stay on line let me know if you need more info.
Thanks
post #295 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I asked for a list of your clear-QAM channels (as evidenced by your HDTV's reception) that are problematic for the TViX. I think that you provided instead a list of those that are not problems, is that right? If not, then I don't understand, "217.25 mhz is the lowest channel TViX allows me to see, the upper limit is 589.25 mhz", since your list seems to fall in that range. The frequency of the channels is not actually relevant to this problem, as the TViX scans all channels from 2-158.

IIUC from your previous posts, the TViX channel scan is actually finding all of the channels but misidentifying some of them as "radio" and then crashing if you try to tune those "radio" channels. Is that right?

If you enter your zip code into SiliconDust's web page you'll get an idea of what channels you should be seeing.

Unless we can find a way to capture clips from your cable for DViCo analysis, we may not be able to resolve this problem.
post #296 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Sorry TPeterson i didn't explain myself, the list is of the channels TViX can't tune, what i was trying to say is that channels the HDTV can tune are below and over the channels the TViX can't

Another thing I want to ask is about the IMS, when I go to Youtube I can't watch a video, there is no documentation in the manual about this feature.
Thanks
post #297 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, channels 62 and 117 are OK after all? Now I'm thoroughly confused!

It seems that YouTube is (still?) broken in the B7 beta.
post #298 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Sorry for the confusion TViX cannot tune 117.x or 62.
About IMS where i can find documentation on how to use, I tried CNN and I was able to watch a podcast, but it was not loading fast enough I guess so it was stopping each 2 seconds. What i will want is to watch tv channels through the internet, how can I add them?
Thanks
post #299 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

You can't enter a dash. When you start entering numbers a partial list appears on screen and you can use the up/down arrow buttons to select from those.

Now, what about answering my questions?? You've only supplied a partial answer to 1: Channels 62 and 117 are problematic. Any others? Can you provide clips? Where are you?

I use a MX980 and have a list of favorite channels and I have to setup the macros differently with the Tvix box because of this behavior. I have to enter in the first number then arrow down to the correct channel then select it since it does not let you access the channel directly.

Wonder if this is in there list of (I am sure over 1000) things to fix/update/upgrade/enhancements...
post #300 of 2288 Old 03-13-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DK, why not use the TViX' own favorite channels list? Then your MX980 macro would only have to enter the "GoTo" key press to bring up the Favorites list.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page