AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

....the DTVpal may be a better option.

Unless, of course, you want to record from cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tip pkeegan! That would be kind of a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM

I'm having a problem getting WebRemote to work. I connect via http in my browser to my M6620N (I've tried my pocket PC as well as my regular PC) and I get the welcome screen - "TViX WebRemote" with a green (LOGIN) button.

Once I click the login button, I get a second screen which prompts for login credentials. "TViX WebRemote" With two text fields, and a "Login" button in red print.

I have no idea what credentials to use here. The tvixftp ones don't work, and I don't think I set anything else up.

Furthermore, I remember one time when I first tried this, I got to the expected "Movie / Music / Folder / Setup" screen. I don't recall having to enter any credentials before.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there a setting on the box for this? Or a path on the end of the URL I need to use?

Thanks much,
Arthur
Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

It's my understanding that the TVIX unit won't let you watch something else while it's recording. If that's important to you then the DTVpal may be a better option.

Then, is the table entry in the first post of the sticky thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433) that shows "Watch one channel while you record another" for TViX 6620N just wrong?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The table and pkeegan are both correct. With the M6620 you can watch (live) one channel while recording another, but you cannot watch a previous recording while making a new one.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

1.9.9 on the 6620NP (what it shipped with) seems to have the getting EPG from an encrypted channel problem DigitalKnight was having but I was able to delete them thanks to TPeterson's instructions.
Can I FTP in or is FTPid for something else? I can connect to the http web remote but ftp'ing to the same address doesn't work.
Update: Got it working.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

Can I FTP in or is FTPid for something else? I can connect to the http web remote but ftp'ing to the same address doesn't work.

Yes, you can connect via FTP server. ID is tvixftp and password is final 5 digits of the MAC (as shown on the Network tab of Setup menu). Works for me, anyway.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Hi,

I have recently ordered M6620N and excited about receiving it in couple of days.

I have a new Ultra ATA Maxtor (DiaondMax) 200 GB hard drive sitting in my home for some time. I was wondering if I can use it when the M6620N arrives. (I will eventually buy a new one.)

Specifications:
Maxtor DiamondMax 200 GB (Internal)
Buffer Size: 8 MB
Avg. seek time <= 9.3 ms
Ext. Transfer rate: up to 133 MB /sec
(Ultra ATA/133)
7200 RPM
------------------

Even if this one works, I will eventually buy a 2 TB internal hard drive to replace it. What will be the specification of that drive? SATA and anything else? Any recommendations?
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky2006 View Post

I have a new Ultra ATA Maxtor (DiaondMax) 200 GB hard drive sitting in my home for some time. I was wondering if I can use it when the M6620N arrives.

You can use any SATA HDD in the 6620, but your drive is a PATA and will not work there.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

You can use any SATA HDD in the 6620, but your drive is a PATA and will not work there.

TP, thank you! Do you have any recommendations which hard drive to buy in the 2 TB range?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky2006 View Post

TP, thank you! Do you have any recommendations which hard drive to buy in the 2 TB range?

Any drive you choose to use should be green and faster is not better if it operates hotter.

But I just read this at MPC Club, consider it before you make your decision:

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23948
Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

Any drive you choose to use should be green and faster is not better if it operates hotter.

But I just read this at MPC Club, consider it before you make your decision:

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23948

Kei, Thanks! Just bought WD Caviar Green 2 TB WD20EADS 32MB cache from the local Fry's shop. I think it will work with XP as it will not have the physical sector issue (4k vs 512 byte). So, do you think it will be a good drive for M6620N?

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Caviar-Gree...8&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Do you think 32 MB Cache will be an issue?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, what Kei said: Go green for quiet and low heat rather than going for either cheap or fast. (The MPC Club post is interesting, but not 100% accurate from my own experience because I installed a 2-TB WD drive, formatted under WinXP, and it's much faster than the previous drive I was using, so I didn't find any speed issue without taking special care in formatting. But...maybe installation in a TViX is different, since that's actually a Linux environment)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Yes, what Kei said: Go green for quiet and low heat rather than going for either cheap or fast. (The MPC Club post is interesting, but not 100% accurate from my own experience because I installed a 2-TB WD drive, formatted under WinXP, and it's much faster than the previous drive I was using, so I didn't find any speed issue without taking special care in formatting. But...maybe installation in a TViX is different, since that's actually a Linux environment)

Thanks TP. I was thinking about using it for TVIX and for XP both at the same time. Are you suggesting that once I put this drive inside TVIX, it will be specially formatted. Once that is done, I CANNOT take it out, put it in an external bay, plug it to an XP machine via USB and download/upload from it?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Notice that this notice only applies to drives with EARS designation....I don't think it applies to EADS.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Kei, I missed the difference in the model number letters! I'm not sure which "green" 2-TB WD drive I have in my WinXP HTPC.

Funky, I don't know (since I've not read the referenced Anand and other pages about the EARS HDD). But if you format the drive under Windows it should be useable with both TViX and in a Windows PC.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bought a 6620N, Not my first time around the block - also have a 6500. I have the new edition - the "plus" version. Mostly, it works OK. Am running 1.99 firmware. I do have a couple of beefs - at least with this level of firmware.
1. It does not play Dolby HD - it shows it as unrecognized audio format. Maybe this is pilot error - I do not have HDMI Audio so I am running optical digital out. But the TVIX box shows the error. Switched the unit to HDMI audio to see if it still didn't recognize the audio format - indeed it did not.
2. It outputs all 2 channel audio movies in analog only - not digital. It does not have this issue with FLAC music - just movies. This part is really annoying. The old 6500 played them without a hitch. Try explaining to my wife why she can see the movie but not hear it.
3. The tuner works fine - no dropouts or anything - the DVR function is poor when compared with a directv PVR. No way to get a season pass - only maybe 2 days of show schedules. Nice to have a tuner - but the PVR is lame.
4. The old 6500 had the ability to have some folders come up by icon, and others by list. That functionality is lost on the new unit. It is all or nothing - list or icon.
5. On the plus side - networking is a breeze.
6. On the minus side - it still doesn't show my album art....but the 6500 didn't either.

TVIX has some work cut out for it to get the firmware working as well as they had the firmware for the 6500 working. Perhaps these are the trials and tribulations of an early adopter.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Have they fixed the samba operation with this yet?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What specifically are you looking to have fixed? I've been using the unit exclusively with SMB shares from day one....
Old 06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
DHF

Has anybody tried the new Beta firmware yet?
My theater is down for at least two weeks getting the ceilings textured so I cant put it in until I can get back in the room.
I also have a question about album art - I am doing FLAC files and the album art is a folder.jpg file in each folder. In folder view everything works fine - but when I play the file I get the two eighth notes icon instead of the album art. Does TVIX only show embedded art when playing?
I thought the problem was that the files might be too big - many are 500x500pixels. But I dumbed a couple down and still no go.
If it has to be embedded - how do you do it?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since it's officially a private "pre-release" rather than a public beta, I won't comment on it beyond saying that I do see some areas of progress.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

As commented by Terry above, NFS is recommended for BD playback. You can download and install Netshare from DVICO's site to use NFS. If using NAS or something other than a PC, see if it supports NFS.

Quote:

ISTR that jerkiness of BD streaming over SMB is a known issue in the DViCo release notes. They recommend using their NFS server on your PC.

Quote:

What specifically are you looking to have fixed? I've been using the unit exclusively with SMB shares from day one....

I am just wondering if the above issues with BD playback has been fixed or if you still have to use NFS?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have many examples to test, but I just looked for a short while at a couple of 1080p24 ISO files over my LAN via SMB shares and they played smoothly. So I guess that it's "fixed".
Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DVICO released the new beta for public testing, you can download to your tvix by using the beta mode, go to the Setup>System page and with your remote, press: 2, 3, 8, 2, function, which should connect to and prepare the beta for downloading.

Or you can use this page to download the file:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...ETA_m66x0n.asp

Changes from v1.9.9 is at the link above.

Main changes:

TrueHD pass-thru (DTS-MA is not yet available)
New user customizable interface
Native Frame Rate mode for 24Hz video
Updated Webremote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Grabbed the new firmware and the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the menu was DVICO bought by Apple.
Any way to get the old black menu back? (it says configurable user interface on the website). I like the new EPG, the new IMS channels and I'll have to try out the TrueHD passthrough (I'll finally be able to see the TrueHD light on my AVR ).
Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Anyone else having long boot delay's with latest firmware? If I start the unit in Movie mode it will sometimes hang at the Wait... and I have to power cycle. When it does not hang it takes about 20 sec to boot.

Also, does anyone have the discrete power off code?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When did it take less than 20 seconds?? Hanging is not good, however. I suggest that you redo the upgrade from a freshly downloaded copy.

AFAIK, the IR codes listed in this document are valid for all TViX since the M4100SH. It does show discrete on and off codes. (N.B.: You may need to install Korean fonts in your PDF reader to view the file)
Old 07-17-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

Any way to get the old black menu back? (it says configurable user interface on the website).

Read the release notes for descriptions of the menu-page image setups.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:

DVICO released the new beta for public testing, you can download to your tvix by using the beta mode, go to the Setup>System page and with your remote, press: 2, 3, 8, 2, function, which should connect to and prepare the beta for downloading.

Or you can use this page to download the file:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...ETA_m66x0n.asp

Changes from v1.9.9 is at the link above.

Main changes:

TrueHD pass-thru (DTS-MA is not yet available)
New user customizable interface
Native Frame Rate mode for 24Hz video
Updated Webremote

Did they break the cover-art view on Webremote with this update? I only get a TV screen with a play button at the center with a red line thru it when I go to the movie screen? Or does it only show cover art for what is on the local drive of the Tvix?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks again TPeterson. Here it is if anyone else wants it.