Quote:
Originally Posted by capf View Post

Thanks TPeterson I got the OSD.
I'm playing the recording with no audio, when I hit volume is up to 31
Video info: MPEG2 1920x1080, 29.97Hz
Audio info: Dolby Digital
Audio No.: 01/01
File Size: 8.4GB

Have you tried playing the soundless recording on a PC or Mac to verify that it has no audio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2288 Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And what does Info show for one of the NBC recordings with sound?
post #543 of 2288 Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have the Tvix (yet) but I've had this issue with my MyHD. Try forcing the audio to stereo and see what you get. It's like they are broadcasting DD but there is actually no audio track on it.
post #544 of 2288 Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

capf, derek ,and TNO: Guessing from previous bouts of this issue on TViXes, I think that the recordings actually don't have valid audio PIDs. It would be instructive to see a short soundless recording from capf's TViX to confirm that.

It used to be fairly common for U.S. DTV stations to mess up DD5.1 audio occasionally. But broadcasters very seldom make that mistake these days so I'm thinking that this is more likely a signal strength issue or a firmware bug interacting with some irregularity in capf's NBC station's transport stream. In the latter case, DViCo probably needs to see a clip of the complete transport stream rather than a TViX recording to fix it.

A signal strength issue, however, would be likely to affect recordings during certain times of the day or in certain seasons or weather conditions. In this case, the episodes of lacking sound might tend to be at night or correlated to some other external factor, which may be very hard to pin down unless one keeps a close eye on the "signal strength" indicator.
post #545 of 2288 Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Hi All,
Been some time since i last visited. WOW, have a lot of new products been introduced.
I have been checking out this TVIX HD M-6620N Plus Dual-Tuner.
My quick question of this unit is, will this unit be capable of picking up and recording basic cable's digital standard TV shows from my basic cable provider (I have straight cable to TV, no box) and, pickup and record O.T.A signals as well?

Many Thanks in Advance...
Chuck
post #546 of 2288 Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Chuck--

Yes, that (plus playing network media files and internet content) is its intended use.
post #547 of 2288 Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info TPeterson

I googled around and it seems Digital Connection has, what looks like the best price on this unit but, it seems they are back ordered. Any idea when they may arrive or, is there another company that has these units in stock?

Thanks Again in Advance...
Chuck
post #548 of 2288 Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnellchuck View Post

Thanks for the info TPeterson

I googled around and it seems Digital Connection has, what looks like the best price on this unit but, it seems they are back ordered. Any idea when they may arrive or, is there another company that has these units in stock?

Thanks Again in Advance...
Chuck

We're currently awaiting a shipment but the delivery date slipped by a week or so. Once the shipment is on it's way, we also expect some delays with customs due to elevated security measures. Realistically, we're probably looking at two weeks for delivery.
post #549 of 2288 Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM

I am so glad I visited the AVS forum a few days ago. I found the post "HDTV DVR Comparison - Consumer Owned Units" and compared all of the units in the table. Forget the TiVos – I don't want a monthly bill. The Magnavox H2160 is SD only. The Moxi and DTVPal units cannot offload recordings. The TViX 6620N had all the features I want. I ordered it on Amazon Marketplace from the seller MediaConcept USA. They shipped the order the same day they received it and even had time to install the latest firmware.

I am having so much fun playing with this unit. I also ordered the Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green WD20EARS and received it on April 12. I installed it in the PVR and it works perfectly. So far, I have recorded 4 programs with complete success. I watched two of the programs while recording them, recorded another program while channel surfing, and recorded a program at 4 AM with the unit turned off. Everything worked perfectly.

The EPG guide is great. Most HDTV's do not take advantage of the program schedules broadcast by the stations. This unit can display programming schedules more than a day in advance. A fault of the "HDTV DVR Comparison" table is that it does not show an X in the box for "program guide" under the "Basic Functionality" topic.

Another advantage of this PVR is that the hard drive is replaceable. I have an old Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-E85H that I don't use anymore because it has an analog tuner. A friend of mine had the same unit and the hard drive went bad. He had to return it to Panasonic and the repair was costly.

I installed TVIX NetShare on my computer, which is in a room at the back of my house. I have a LAN cable that goes from my computer to the living room. As part of my experimentation with the different functions of the PVR I have transferred music, pictures, and movies to the PVR. I have also downloaded some of the Internet videos. The only experiment I have not tried is to transfer a recorded program to my computer for editing and burning to DVD or Blu-ray.
post #550 of 2288 Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ostrow View Post

I am having so much fun playing with this unit. I also ordered the Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green WD20EARS and received it on April 12. I installed it in the PVR and it works perfectly.

This is encouraging. I ordered mine from Digital Connection quite a while back. I received an email a few days ago that gives me hope that the unit will be shipped to me very soon.
post #551 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan330i View Post

This is encouraging. I ordered mine from Digital Connection quite a while back. I received an email a few days ago that gives me hope that the unit will be shipped to me very soon.

The shipment was delayed longer than we imagined....apparently there were backlogs the factory due to shortages of certain parts. We should start shipping this week.
post #552 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I am having so much fun playing with this unit.

I'm looking for a media server and I like the idea of having fun with a media player. Often it seems more like people are waging a war than having fun.

Quote:

I also ordered the Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green WD20EARS and received it on April 12.

The WD20EARS is reportedly not suitable for DVRs unless you patch its firmware. Google "WDIDLE3" to see what I mean.

Quote:

The EPG guide is great. Most HDTV's do not take advantage of the program schedules broadcast by the stations.

I'd suggest using some care when depending on the free EPG to schedule important recordings. I gave up on my DVICO Fusion 5 HDTV tuner and bought a Tivo four years ago because I got sick and tired of mistakes in the free EPG data. Perhaps the data is more reliable now, however. I still think the Tivo with its lifetime subscription was the best add-on to my TV room.
post #553 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does this unit have to be on standby power? Or can it be unplugged everyday? Thanks.
post #554 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

David, the TViX may be unplugged whenever not in use. Obviously, it needs to be on standby power (under 1 watt consumption) when it's going to wake for a recording, but otherwise it needs not be powered. If it's disconnected long enough for its internal clock power to run out it will reset the clock when next powered on and connected to the setup-specified clock authority.

This is one of its beauties versus energy-hogging TiVos.
post #555 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

David, the TViX may be unplugged whenever not in use. Obviously, it needs to be on standby power (under 1 watt consumption) when it's going to wake for a recording, but otherwise it needs not be powered. If it's disconnected long enough for its internal clock power to run out it will reset the clock when next powered on and connected to the setup-specified clock authority.

Agree!

I have mine plugged into a ir triggered switched outlet so that when I shut my system down everything is first powered cycled down with the device code and then basically automatically unplugged by the smart switch and only the remote charging dock is left on to keep my remote charged and the rf base that controls the ir smart switch and all the gear.

The TiVX box comes on in standby when the power strip is activated and then if I want to use it I just send the code for HDTV or Media and it fires up.
post #556 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

After reading many pages in this thread and perusing the Specs it is still not clear to me if this unit will bitstream both DB THD and DTS MA to my AVR which has decoders for both these advanced audio formats.

If it can it may be my next purchase.

BTW you are correct, my TIVO Premiere does consume more power but for scheduled name based recordings it is hard to beat.

Still, with outstanding OTA Signal strength at my location (540 ft ASL) the 6220+ would work with my EX490 WHS to stream my HDDVD and DVD and BD collection and allow weekly schedule recordings of my favorite CBS shows (NCIS, CSI etc)

I presume the 6220 will not concurrently stream from the server while recording OTA but that is not a deal killer for me.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #557 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

The WD20EARS is reportedly not suitable for DVRs unless you patch its firmware. Google "WDIDLE3" to see what I mean.

I searched for "WDIDLE3" on Yahoo. Apparently, this application "helps prevent the heads from parking excessively on WD drives". WD Support for "File Name: wdidle3_1_05.zip" says:

"This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above."

I have not had any problems with this hard drive installed in my PVR. I have recorded many HD programs and they all play back OK.
post #558 of 2288 Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

I presume the 6220 will not concurrently stream from the server while recording OTA....

You presume incorrectly.

I don't know for certain about the two audio formats that you mention, but I do think that it will stream those over HDMI at least.
post #559 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I guess what I wanted to know is: can it be unplugged without losing all the settings? And if I could just ask a few more newbie questions:

1. Can I transfer recorded shows to an external 2.5'' USB hard drive and watch the contents on a laptop?

2. Can recorded materials be burned to DVDs for watching on DVD/bluray players?

Thanks again.
post #560 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You presume incorrectly.

I don't know for certain about the two audio formats that you mention, but I do think that it will stream those over HDMI at least.

From the specs:

HD Audio with Dolby Digital True-HD and DTS-MA

Still not conclusive but does point in the right direction.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #561 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

And if I could just ask a few more newbie questions:

1. Can I transfer recorded shows to an external 2.5'' USB hard drive and watch the contents on a laptop?

2. Can recorded materials be burned to DVDs for watching on DVD/bluray players?

Thanks again.

Since my last post, I have transferred a recorded program in the .TP format (TViX 6620N native format) to my computer hard drive, converted it to .MPG, edited the program to cut out commercials, and burned it in the AVCHD format on DVD-R. I am still experimenting. I tried using Roxio Creator 2010 for the editing and it was too cumbersome. I only use the Roxio to convert the .TP format to .MPG format. I then used ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme to edit the program and burn it in the AVCHD format to DVD-R.
post #562 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

From the specs:

HD Audio with Dolby Digital True-HD and DTS-MA

Still not conclusive but does point in the right direction.

TrueHD is supported in the firmware, but DTS-MA support is a non-official patch.
post #563 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, there is no better consumer editing software than VideoRedo. These days it is pretty pricey (nearly $100 for the H264 version), but I think you will find it worth the money if you plan to do a lot of editing. It also supports 7MC .wtv files, so you can convert unprotected content recorded from Windows 7 Media Center to TP files that play on your TViX.

VideoRedo does have a free trial, so you can see if it works for you before you buy.

The free editor HDTV-to-MPEG2 also works great, but IIRC, you need to process the TViX output using another free program first before you can edit the TP file using HDTV-to-MPEG2. DViCo has an FAQ topic on this subject.

-Dave
post #564 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

TrueHD is supported in the firmware, but DTS-MA support is a non-official patch.

The same story I have seen for many media players especially Realtek based ... no DTS license.

Still, a license may be needed to decode DTS /DTS MA but from many posts on many forums/threads dealing with this topic, loss less bit-streaming DTS MA should not require a license.

The AVR decodes the bitstream and the AVR has the license.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #565 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

IMO, there is no better consumer editing software than VideoRedo. These days it is pretty pricey (nearly $100 for the H264 version), but I think you will find it worth the money if you plan to do a lot of editing. It also supports 7MC .wtv files, so you can convert unprotected content recorded from Windows 7 Media Center to TP files that play on your TViX.

VideoRedo does have a free trial, so you can see if it works for you before you buy.

The free editor HDTV-to-MPEG2 also works great, but IIRC, you need to process the TViX output using another free program first before you can edit the TP file using HDTV-to-MPEG2. DViCo has an FAQ topic on this subject.

-Dave

Are you saying that the TVix encrypts the output?
post #566 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 PM

I checked the audio format for the DVD-Rs that I burned. They were all Dolby Digital 2.0. I looked at the original .TP and .MPG files and they were both Dolby Digital 5.1. For some reason, the software that converts .MPG to AVCHD changes the audio. I'll have to do more research on this.

This is obviously not a problem in the TViX 6620N but rather a problem with the software used for burning AVCHD DVD-Rs.
post #567 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Are you saying that the TVix encrypts the output?

Never. Dave P was talking about non-TViX sources.
post #568 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since my last post, I have transferred a recorded program in the .TP format (TViX 6620N native format) to my computer hard drive, converted it to .MPG, edited the program to cut out commercials....

It's generally safer to stick with .tp/.ts files for editing (such as in VideoReDo, as Dave recommends) because many converters and editors of .mpg files introduce A/V lip-sync problems--in addition to the DD5.1 to DD2.0 conversion issue that you mention.
post #569 of 2288 Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Since my last post, I have transferred a recorded program in the .TP format (TViX 6620N native format) to my computer hard drive, converted it to .MPG, edited the program to cut out commercials, and burned it in the AVCHD format on DVD-R. I am still experimenting. I tried using Roxio Creator 2010 for the editing and it was too cumbersome. I only use the Roxio to convert the .TP format to .MPG format. I then used ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme to edit the program and burn it in the AVCHD format to DVD-R.

I've spent a lot of time dicking around with various software for doing this and for my money there's no better combo than VideoReDo and MultiAVCHD.

VideoReDo is mindlessly easy to use for editing out ads! And it does not re-encode the whole video (which would drop the quality). And MultiAVCHD is a free utility that can be used to create the Blu-ray or AVCHD folder structure which can then be burned using the freeware ImgBurn. I have had better results using MultiAVCHD+ImgBurn than other apps such as Nero.
post #570 of 2288 Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I am ready to order one. This is the latest version, yes?

http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...vixM6620NP.asp

Will I get a unit with the latest firmwares that will fix all the problems discussed in this thread?

$399 seems like a good price for the one with 2TB. No shipping estimate is listed, however. Wonder how much they charge to ship to 77075.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page