Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 2288 Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received my 6620N Monday and have been trying to set it up and get things working correctly but have been having many issues.

Most of the isssues are with the PRV section and the unit rebooting itself and locking up.

First thing I did was upgrade the unit to the latest beta firmware so I can map the network drives as that seems to be the only way it will play .mkv files??? Not sure why it says unsupported file format when you try and play it using the UPnP browsing mode?

I am hoping the problems I am having are all firmware related issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2288 Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coerrace View Post

I tried to connect wireles to my router and one time works perfect and when i tried to see a you tube video the tvix reset and i can´t connect to wireless again because if i go to settis network the tvix freeze and don´t let me configure again. Any suggestion?

The YouTube reset is a known issue that has been corrected with the current Beta, I highly recommend everyone go ahead and upgrade as this will likely resolve some of the "reboot" issues:

tFirmware 6600_ v1.9.1B5

If connecting to your PC using NFS, download the latest Netshare:

Netshare V2.12zip

There is a new firmware in the pipeline using a new SDK which should correct some of the problems being reported.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 2288 Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

First thing I did was upgrade the unit to the latest beta firmware so I can map the network drives as that seems to be the only way it will play .mkv files??? Not sure why it says unsupported file format when you try and play it using the UPnP browsing mode?

I am hoping the problems I am having are all firmware related issues.

I'm not sure why that would be necessary for playback of .mkv files, I think maybe you mean Netshare (for NFS)? Not every format is supported under UPnP and it is slow to connect.

That and the rebooting problems are most likely firmware related, as for the rebooting with the tuner, can you provide more information on what you are using for source (OTA or Cable)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 2288 Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

I'm not sure why that would be necessary for playback of .mkv files, I think maybe you mean Netshare (for NFS)? Not every format is supported under UPnP and it is slow to connect.

That and the rebooting problems are most likely firmware related, as for the rebooting with the tuner, can you provide more information on what you are using for source (OTA or Cable)?

I am using Comcast cable for the source.

One thing I found was that some channels have no sound after running the channel scan, but if I go into the audio settings and change the HDMI out to analog then I have sound again, and then I can go back and change it back to digital and I have 5.1 sound. That looks like a firmware bug.
post #35 of 2288 Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, the balky audio is a known firmware problem.
post #36 of 2288 Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

...Not every format is supported under UPnP and it is slow to connect.

Have you been successful in using a uPnP server to serve content to a M66x0N? if so, which media server software did you use (and what version #)? I've been working with MediaTomb with zero success. XBMC with uPnP server turned on will give me the folders, but no media (although one time it DID show media, but every file (.mp3, .vob) was unplayable on the M6620N (unrecognized media format)).
post #37 of 2288 Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahagge View Post

Have you been successful in using a uPnP server to serve content to a M66x0N? if so, which media server software did you use (and what version #)? I've been working with MediaTomb with zero success. XBMC with uPnP server turned on will give me the folders, but no media (although one time it DID show media, but every file (.mp3, .vob) was unplayable on the M6620N (unrecognized media format)).

The M6620N UPnP found my ReadyNAS but with limited results. It finds, displays, and plays MPEG-2 transport streams and .mkv files, but none of the H.264 and other videos formats even shows in the file list. It played my FLAC files but the lag was too long to be useful.

I've played with the UPnP function connected to my PC using TVersity that DVICO seems to recommend but didn't really test it as much of the IMS functions are not going to work until the next firmware version is released.

post #38 of 2288 Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 PM

I´m with you Kei Clark need to wait a firmware to IMS and other functions because appears likes so much reboot this TVIX
post #39 of 2288 Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Tried to connect the 6620n to the network today. Updated the newest Firmware and installed the newest Netshare. After I tried to connect PC said "Authentication Is Failed!!! First please connect TVIX into PC with USB cable to be authenicated" When I connect the usb cable PC either wont recongnize to gives a warning that the harware isnt supported. Any suggestions? I also tried to connect to my MSHome network I share media with all my other PC's but that connect connect either.
post #40 of 2288 Old 11-21-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

aerynray--

I'm not sure what went wrong, but I suggest that you try the firmware update again. If that still fails, then try the safe mode firmware update procedure.
post #41 of 2288 Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

elliottn--

The problem with balky audio is a known issue that DViCo is addressing. If you mean by "sdtv" the Basic Cable digital channels then, yes, those are found in the channel scan here. Perhaps the channels that you're missing are encrypted (i.e., not Basic Cable).

No the channels arn't encrypted. I watch the same SD basic cable channels with the cable feed directly to my tv. Those channels are only missing when i try to watch them on tvix box. The tvix box only scans and registers my HD channels. I'm pretty frustrated with this device at this point. Tvix had no business putting out this product in such a state. I would appreciate any further input from other users about my problem.

As a side note, a minor problem noticed was my ceiling fan (When running) will send enough of an IR reflection from some other source to the box that it will cause the menu to randomly and erratically go up and down. They really did a half ass job developing this.
post #42 of 2288 Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You won't receive analog SD channels (i.e. 1-82), because the TViX does not have an analog tuner. The TViX only has digital tuners; you should receive SD versions of local and public interest channels via QAM, but most cable companies encrypt the digital versions of their cable channels.

If you want to receive TNT, USA, AMC, SyFy, CNN, etc with most providers, then you bought the wrong box. For that, you would need the Moxi ($499 w/ no fees) or the TivoHD ($220 + fees or $600+ w/o fees).

Thanks....I thought there was an analog/digital tuner not just a digital one. Most of my channels are still analog on my university provided cable. The several hd channels i have are complete garbage (no one watches these stupid channels). So thats frustrating but maybe it will work out later. They really need to fix the audio problem though. That is the most serious problem i see with it. How they released this in its current state i will never understand. Overall i am displeased with the quality of this device.
post #43 of 2288 Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottn View Post

No the channels arn't encrypted. I watch the same SD basic cable channels with the cable feed directly to my tv.

Are you sure that those are digital channels? What is your location and cable company?

Edit: Oops, I see that you answered that question finally in the post just above while I was typing.
Quote:

...my ceiling fan (When running) will send enough of an IR reflection from some other source to the box that it will cause the menu to randomly and erratically go up and down.

IR interferences happen. If you have enough different equipment in your HT, you're almost certain to encounter some.
post #44 of 2288 Old 11-22-2009, 05:25 PM

I reinstalled the Firmware and Netshare. Still gives me the message "Authentication Is Failed!!! First please connect TVIX into PC with USB cable to be authenicated" Seems the only thing standing in the way of connecting to the network is my PC recognizing the 6620. Anyone else with this problem? Any patches or software to install to resolve this problem?
post #45 of 2288 Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerynray View Post

"...First please connect TVIX into PC with USB cable to be authenicated"

I'm not sure what's going on, but did you do as the on-screen prompt says? Did you use the USB cable that came with the TViX? What happens when you do this?
post #46 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Mine keeps locking up when on HDTV mode. I thought that maybe it was some kind of time shift issue so I pulled out the hard drive but it still is locking up. The picture just freezes but I can still change the channel number on the screen and the time seems to progress along but until I shut it off and them back on it just stays on the frozen video image of the tv station. It will not let me change to any other mode like movie or music, etc. I usually have to shut it off twice as it seems to lock up a second time after I power cycle it.

Does this sound like a beta firmware bug or a bad dual tuner card?
post #47 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you mean that it freezes spontaneously during play? Or is it when you try to perform some action? If the former, I'd suspect a hardware issue, while the latter suggests firmware to me.

I've not seen this symptom myself. Are you using OTA or cable TV? What firmware version??
post #48 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Do you mean that it freezes spontaneously during play? Or is it when you try to perform some action? If the former, I'd suspect a hardware issue, while the latter suggests firmware to me.

I've not seen this symptom myself. Are you using OTA or cable TV? What firmware version??

Just freezes during viewing of HDTV. I am using cable TV and have the latest beta version loaded.
post #49 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is the cable signal shown as 5 bars? And is the rf connection solid?
post #50 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM

So far I have been rather disappointed with the unit's software. The time shifting features are not very well thought out. I paused a show, came back a half hour later accidentally hit the channel change button and lost everything that was recorded. Don't you think it should ask you what it should do? Like, Would you like to save the time shift to watch later or something. How hard would that be? Not very hard I'm sure. So I lost the last half of my show which defeats the whole purpose of getting it. Also I don't understand why you can't time shift and record at the same time. Other units I have used can why not this one?
post #51 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4569 View Post

The time shifting features are not very well thought out. I paused a show, came back a half hour later accidentally hit the channel change button and lost everything that was recorded.

Actually, the feature is well thought out (and isn't designed to lose the buffered content upon a channel change) but it is rather buggy in this latest beta firmware. I'm finding that the pause/play function gets confused and sticks in the "pause" mode even though the OSD indicates it's playing. But when I change channels the previously buffered material is still present when I rewind over it.

As for the multi-tuner functions...I think that they're still working on getting those all functioning, but timeshifting while recording is a very demanding task that may be beyond the power of the Realtek CPU in the box.
post #52 of 2288 Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4569 View Post

Also I don't understand why you can't time shift and record at the same time. Other units I have used can why not this one?

The ability to record one (or two channels) while playing another program in a low-cost product currently requires a specialized DVR CPU. The available DVR CPUs are much more limited in the video formats they support, so they aren't the best choice for dedicated media players.

Products like Moxi and TiVo are built around these dedicated DVR CPUs; they compromise on the media player functionality in order to provide superior DVR functionality. The TViX compromises on DVR functionality in order to provide superior media player functionality. You'll have to decide what is more important to you.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #53 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Is the cable signal shown as 5 bars? And is the rf connection solid?

5 bars on all channels, replaced the RG6 cable with a new one that had new ends on it.

It seems to lock up when the system is off as I leave the TIVX box on 24/7. Once I reboot the unit twice, as long as I am watching TV it does not seem to lock up again.

It has not locked up on movie streaming from my server. It seems to handle my .mkv HD files very nicely.

I recorded a show last night and it did not seem to lock up at all during the recording even though I had switched off of the TIVX box and watched another show on my OTA HD box. The TIVX box did shut down after the recording ended but I did not check to see if that is an option in the recording menu.
post #54 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why on earth do you leave the box on 24/7?? It's designed such that you can leave it in standby ("off") when not in use for viewing or recording and it will power up for scheduled captures as needed, saving you about 19 watts all the time that it's sleeping.
post #55 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Why on earth do you leave the box on 24/7?? It's designed such that you can leave it in standby ("off") when not in use for viewing or recording and it will power up for scheduled captures as needed, saving you about 19 watts all the time that it's sleeping.

I have not had a chance to update my MX980 remote macro's and variables to shut it off and turn it back on when needed..... unless you know of some discrete power codes that work this unit???

Still the box should not lockup when left on should it?

Good to know that it will power up when time to record. Is there anyway to get good TV Guide information on it as Comcast does not seem to provide much except what is currently playing and they still have not fixed channel 6 and 10 in the Montgomery County (Pa) area as they are still at 8.1 for HD-6 and 8.2 for HD-10.
post #56 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....you know of some discrete power codes that work this unit?

I think that it has such, but I don't know them. I use a pseudo discrete pair with my Harmony remote: MOVIE = "on" and POWER = "off"
Quote:
Still the box should not lockup when left on should it?

Neither should Windows, but it will crash if not rebooted from time to time. The MTBF has been growing, but even 20 years(?) after Windows 1.0, it's still not bullet proof.
Quote:
Is there anyway to get good TV Guide information on it {from cable}?

Alas, no. The OTA EPG is getting better and better, but for cable it would really be nice to have some on-line EPG source.
post #57 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good to know that it will power up when time to record. Is there anyway to get good TV Guide information on it as Comcast does not seem to provide much except what is currently playing and they still have not fixed channel 6 and 10 in the Montgomery County (Pa) area as they are still at 8.1 for HD-6 and 8.2 for HD-10.

The traditional program guide showing multiple channels and timeslots is patented and requires expensive licensing fees.

Guide data is not free for use by commercial products. There are three guide data providers -- Rovi (TVGuide.com), Tribune (Zap2it.com), and FYI Television; all have sites with free guide data on the web, but none allow that guide data to be used in commercial products or services. Tribune's wholesale price of guide data for use in commercial products is around $1.50/mo per device, and that does not include the cost of the server(s) to deliver it.

Comcast already pays for this guide data, and it represents a small percentage of your cable bill, but the TViX has no way to access that proprietary datastream. Only the cable company's own boxes and tru2way STBs running the cable co software can access that datastream. Every other product has to pay for it, and that adds significant cost to third-party DVRs.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #58 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Comcast already pays for this guide data, and it represents a small percentage of your cable bill, but the TViX has no way to access that proprietary datastream. Only the cable company's own boxes and tru2way DVRs running the cable co software can access that datastream.

While that is all true, it is also true that in my area Comcast passes along some of the broadcasters' EPG data in the PSIP stream for the HD locals. So there are 6-8 hours of EPG data available on those cable channels. (They don't pass along the synopsis info, just the times and program titles) These data are accessible to any QAM-capable device and it's possible to use them to set up the evening's recordings on the TViX.
post #59 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM

Help
I just bought an TViX M6620N
and I realized I cant see or record channels.
well, after the search I can see a couple of them but not the good one.
I have a cable tv from atlantic broadband, any chance adding some hardware, software, or special setting i can be able to watch some channels and record them?
Otherwise my choice of buy this PVR product its useless
thanks
post #60 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Since the TIVX is connected to the internet, wouldn't it be possible for it to go out and get the guide data as long as you entered in your zip code and what type of cable service you have?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page