AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Every time I connect the Tvix to my computer I get this warning message:

I always get that warning too if I use the player between USB sessions.

For me it is an annoyance, but certainly not a deal breaker.

I also have a Popcorn Hour A200, and I prefer the Tvix for most playback tasks. However, my usage is biased toward TP file playback.

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I vaguely recall that this may be related to not having the device properties in Windows configured for "quick removal" (in Device Manager). How does your TViX appear there?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
I vaguely recall that this may be related to not having the device properties in Windows configured for "quick removal" (in Device Manager). How does your TViX appear there?
I have 3 external hard drives and the Tvix (it's essentially a hard drive). I plug and unplug them exactly the same way. The Tvix is the only one with the warning message.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Terry is referring to the fact that if you dig through Device Manager, you will probably see that your other hard drives are configured for quick removal, and the TViX is not. The quick removal option can affect corruption.

In my case, there is nothing I can do about this. If I try to configure the TViX for quick removal, Windows reports that it can't be done. For me, this seems to be a problem with Win7, but not WinXP.

I know it is not much comfort, but you and I are not the only ones that have this problem:

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26694

-Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am looking for a PVR that works for both on-air HD and basic analog cable in
canada. Does the Tvix PVR M-6620N or another product would work for
this type of signal in Canada?

Thank you
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Every time I connect the Tvix to my computer I get this warning message:

Is this on Windows 7? It's apparently not uncommon with USB drives:

http://www.futureofrealestatetechnol...other-devices/

Short answer, don't click it to scan, but rather open a command prompt to perform a chkdsk.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 AM

Is there an option to buy the PVR with a WD 2-TB HDD? Other questions: Does DViCo have a USA headquarters? Where do you return a TIVX PVR for warranty repairs?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD View Post

Is there an option to buy the PVR with a WD 2-TB HDD? Other questions: Does DViCo have a USA headquarters? Where do you return a TIVX PVR for warranty repairs?

TViX from the factory does not include the hard drive, so you generally have to add one yourself. We offer the option of having one installed prior to shipping, but all technical issues for the hard drive are handled separately from the TViX.

DVICO (now MineVox) does not have a US office, and rely on their dealer to handle the RMA service.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It might be better to buy your own hard drive. I bought a Tvix with a 1.5TB hard drive because it was more convenient. I have transferred a couple of music CDs to the Tvix. There are popping noises between tracks and sometimes within the tracks. If the hard drive needs fixing, I would probably have to send the entire unit back. If I had bought the hard drive locally and it needs fixing, I would only have to send the hard drive back, not the entire unit.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It might be better to buy your own hard drive. I bought a Tvix with a 1.5TB hard drive because it was more convenient. I have transferred a couple of music CDs to the Tvix. There are popping noises between tracks and sometimes within the tracks. If the hard drive needs fixing, I would probably have to send the entire unit back. If I had bought the hard drive locally and it needs fixing, I would only have to send the hard drive back, not the entire unit.

Doubtful that the hard drive is causig the popping noises....unelss you're descrbing a "clicking" sound which should not matter type of file you're using.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Does the Digital Connection have a suitable 2-TB Western Digital HDD available to be bought separately along with the TViX PVR? Will the WD20EARS Caviar Green you have work? Could you clarify the formatting procedure with the Caviar Green HDD I've seen discussed in this forum? You referred to using a "jumper on 7-8"-----could you explain that term?

Can files be transferred from a computer to the PVR using USB, rather than with an LAN network connection? Will the PVR accept files directly from a memory card, a flashdrive or a card-reader by USB? I have an Argosy HV335T VR that I like a lot, even without the PVR function, but it will not accept cards or card-readers for USB inputs. You have to hook up a camera, a computer or a flashdrive by USB to do this.

The Argosy handles most formats, but will not play DV-AVI videos. I've had to re-render any of my DV videos I want to watch on it into MP4. Will the TViX handle DV-AVI?

Is there any word about the A-1 Xroid coming out with a dual-tuner PVR version? Thanks for your answers.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 PM

I also have the audio popping when changing songs while playing audio files. Does anyone have any clues, answers or suggestions? It makes audio playback very unpleasant.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I use mine extensively for Audio playback. Never heard a pop. FLAC files exclusively using internal drive, SMB, and NFS.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Please provide more details on the specifics of source files (mp3 or ???) and playback configuration(s) that produce the "popping".
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Has anyone needed warranty repairs for an M6620N Plus after the dealer's return period? Since the manufacturer has no USA office, where are they sent? I contacted a dealer other than the Digital Connection and was told I was on my own after the return period. They said I'd have to contact the manufacturer by E-Mail in Korea to arrange for warranty repairs. That does not sound like a very good situation, especially since the manufacturer has re-organized under a different name, "Minevox". Their sales E-Mail address is now sales@minevox.com . If you click on Support on their website, nothing happens. The Digital Connection has not answered their 800 phone number and I haven't been able to ask them about this.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve--

I would be reluctant to purchase any non-trivial foreign product whose manufacturer has no U.S. presence if the dealer does not commit to handling warranty claims on the manufacturer's behalf, such as Digital Connection does for DViCo/whatever.

Try calling DC's 800 number during business hours.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I have two types of music on the TVix: MP3 and WAV. I transferred the MP3 first and heard popping noises. I decided to transfer some WAV files to see if things improved. Nope! Further along the process of elimination, today I converted the same CD on the computer first listened to it with WMP before transferring it to the TVix. The same popping noises occur on the TVix but not when played through computer using WMP. The noises occur at the end of each track like that of an old vinyl record, only more pronounced.

There is only one conclusion: the media player/OS used in the TVix is the culprit.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

For you people with popping noises, are you sending audio over HDMI? I have two TViXs, and have listened to quite a bit of music over the analog outputs and never had any problems. However, I do seem to recall hearing popping noises over HDMI when playing MP3's but I do not listen to much music on that TViX. I have never tested with S/PDIF.

-Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Dave, that's precisely the sort of "configuration" info that I was asking about. Davidt1, please fill in the blanks for us so that we can try to replicate the problem and get it fixed.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Thanks, Dave, that's precisely the sort of "configuration" info that I was asking about. Davidt1, please fill in the blanks for us so that we can try to replicate the problem and get it fixed.

I thought I did with the post above. Let's try again.

1. No popping/crackling noise when played on computer.

2. No popping/crackling noise when TVix is connected to computer.

3. Popping/crackling noise only occurs when TVix plays by itself.

The output was the L/R audio outputs connected to a pair of headphones. You need to use headphones to hear these noises clearly. There is one crackle at the end of a track. Then there are several at the beginning of the next track. The sound of a pair of headphones being plugged and unplugged is what these noises sound like.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Davidt1, it wasn't clear to me (or to Dave P) before that you were using the TViX' analog outputs directly into headphones. I dug through my cable drawer and scrounged up an RCA to headphone cable and then I could also hear a faint crackle at the beginning and end of each audio track. I'll pass this information along to my DViCo contact, but I'm not sure that they can fix it in firmware, since the sound isn't present in the digital outputs, as you noted.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Giving my TVix some thermal protection.

My biggest concern with the TVix is how hot the bottom (especially the antenna port) gets. Having almost zero clearance on the bottom certainly doesn't help. The fix, fortunately, is easy. You just have to raise the unit up. Here I use 2 square aluminum tubes. They not only raise the unit up but act as heat sinks as well. I did the same for my Panasonic Bluray player, which also has also zero clearance on the bottom. The result is no more crashes.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 PM

I was all set to order an M6620N from Digital Connection. Their website says they use UPS for shipping, but on the ordering page, the only choice presented was FedEx, at higher rates than I'd expect from UPS. Can anyone explain this?

Update: Kei Clark just replied to me by E-Mail and said that they've switched to FedEX and had overlooked removing the page about UPS. She also said they could ship by U.S. Postal Service and I will try to get it shipped that way.

2nd Update: I talked to Kei Clark on the phone and she was nice enough to make a special arrangement for me to get an M6620N by U.S. Postal Mail. No waiting and worrying for a delivery truck to arrive-----it will be put in our neighborhood lock box in a large package compartment.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 AM

The firmware update for the M6620N comes as a zipped file. Do you have to un-zip it before you upload it to the PVR, or can you transfer it as it came on the download?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The firmware update for the M6620N comes as a zipped file. Do you have to un-zip it before you upload it to the PVR, or can you transfer it as it came on the download?
I unzipped first.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you download the zip, you need to unzip it. But you can directly update the firmware from the web in the Setup menu. RTFM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm bumping my own question, since it kinda got lost in all the customs/shipping/whining about technical minutia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieS View Post
If anyone is familiar with the whole DLNA thing, I'd like to know if there's a way to set up the recordings on this unit to play on "DLNA Certified" devices, like Sony/Samsung TV's which have that form of network access built in. They mention needing a "DLNA Server," but I'm fairly certain I'm not that high-speed. I've also seen wireless routers with the option to use the router itself as a DLNA server, but I don't have one of those, adn I'm not likely to buy one.

Any thoughts or education for me?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Vinnie, I'm pretty sure that the answer is "no", unless you can set up a server on your LAN that would provide the content available from the TViX, but I'm not up to speed on DLNA servers myself so I don't know how/if that's possible.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Vinnie:
I am certainly no networking Einstein, but what I think you need is some form of NAS that both the TVIX and other DLNA devices can read from. I can read from my TVIX HDD off of computers on the network - but TVIX does not show up on other DLNA devices. I used to use a Buffalo external HDD that plugs into the network and works as an UPnP server, pretty inexpensive. Now I have a Netgear NAS. In all my musings with routers, and in the last month I have mused a bunch, I have never seen an UPnP router option - it is always on the NAS device.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Hello,

I just received my 6620N a few days ago and, two things are annoying me.

First, if time-shifting is on, I'm getting intermittent short losses of sound on all channels when watching live TV. However, these losses are eliminated if I'm playing back the recorded signal or, if some time-shift is introduced. Has anyone gotten this problem? Could that be linked to my HDD? I'm running firmware 2.0.9 and using a 2 TB Samsung HD203WI which was previously formatted on my computer.

Second, changing channels using the channel arrows on the remote is painful. Surfing on channels with the remote is slow and OSD is not following with quick channel increments. OSD is toggling between successive displayed channels as they are incrementing which makes-it hard for the viewer to guess which channel the PVR will finally display. Is this a bug?

Thanks!