Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 2288 Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I fully expect that DC will make things right for you if you contact them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2288 Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to disable the 15 seconds countdown when a recording is scheduled to start? I was watching golf this weekend and when the time came for the PVR to start a recording of another channel that was programmed for my wife, after the 15 seconds countdown the damn unit took total control and decided to switch channels to the targeted program where I was unable to switch back for several seconds until the red dot appeared in the top right the corner.

It would be nice if the recording could start without interrupting the program being watched when the second tuner is available.
post #723 of 2288 Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Sorry, guys. DViCo says that they're unable to truly fix either the silliness at startup of a scheduled recording or the lack of end point updates of in-progress ones.

I suggested that they add an OSD notice about what's going on when the recording starts so as not to confuse users and cause them to think that the player's gone bananas.

Dave, I guess you'll just have to press the STOP key to exit the in-progress playback and then resume from the bookmark to get the endpoint update.

Terry,

If you are keeping a list, the only other major issue I have is that SRT subtitles are out of sync upon a resume. We discussed this a while ago, but it was never fixed.

The workaround is to resume, note the time, stop, and then restart without resume and goto the time.

-Dave
post #724 of 2288 Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

bfrancoeur, N.B. my response to essentially the same question as yours that Dave quoted just above.

Dave, I'll pass along the SRT issue (again?). It seems to me that that at least should be fixable. But I have the sense that Minevox resources are currently all enmeshed in the (complex!) Xroid rollout.
post #725 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 AM

My 2TB WD Green HDD had quit working and showed up as RAW on Disk Management, but I was unable to re-format it. The TViX Disk Check would fail. Then, I had a nice and productive phone conversation with Kei Clark from Digital Connection. She suggested that I try removing the jumper that was installed on pins 7 & 8. I use Vista Home Premium.

After I did that, I was able to initialize it over USB to my computer on Disk Management on the Settings page, with a simple partition called Drive L. Then, it could be formatted. I did a Quick Format to NTSF and it works in the TViX again. Thanks to Kei for providing the kind of follow-up help that I needed.

I tried taking the HDD out of the TViX and putting the pin 7 to pin 8 jumper back on. However, with the jumper, it would not work in the TViX. The Disk Check failed and No Space was indicated when I tried to record. When I pulled off the jumper, it worked again. When I first got the TViX, the HDD worked with the jumper installed, but after re-formatting it without the jumper, it works only without it.

The problem of my TViX not turning on for a scheduled recording, has been figured out and resolved, although there's a complication for me. If my TViX is off and my TV that is connected by HDMI is off, a timed-recording will not be made. If the TViX is turned off and a program is scheduled and the TV is on, then the recording takes place. If both my TViX and my TV are off, but the HDMI cord is unplugged, then the recording will be made. So, it appears that if my TV is connected by HDMI, then it must be turned on, for my TViX to turn itself on and carry out a timed-recording. Unplugging the cord at either end, allows my TViX to turn on fully, when my TV is off.

In fact, my TViX will not fully turn on manually, even if no timed-recording is involved, if the HDMI cord is connected from it to my turned-off TV. If I unplug the HDMI cord, then I can manually turn on my TViX fully. When the HDMI cord is connected to my TV when it's not running and I try to turn on my TViX, all that happens is that the blue light flashes and Hello and Wait come on the front panel, but it doesn't turn on any further. This is one of those two-way digital communications issues. I don't know if anyone else has this problem. My TV is a JVC CRT, that is seven years old. I have a 3-way HDMI switcher and I will have to unplug the HDMI cord there, to save wear on the TViX socket. I'll have to do this, whenever I schedule a timed-recording and want to have everything tuned off in my absence. I tried by-passing the switcher and hooking up my TV directly, but that didn't help, so the switcher is not the culprit.

I don't know of any setting that I could change to avoid this unplugging. I tried temporarily changing the TViX output to NTSC, but that didn't work, as the HDMI cord still had to be unplugged for it to turn on. My TV is giving my TViX some feedback, even when it's turned off, that is not good in this situation.

Steve McDonald

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #726 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve, thanks for the follow-up post to clear up those two mysteries!

Perhaps you can connect your HDMI switch's power cord to a "smart" power strip (such as this one) that is controlled by your TV such that the switch is not powered when the TV is off. That should prevent the TViX from getting the signals from the TV that are interfering with its setup when the TV is not ready.
post #727 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Steve, thanks for the follow-up post to clear up those two mysteries!

Perhaps you can connect your HDMI switch's power cord to a "smart" power strip (such as this one) that is controlled by your TV such that the switch is not powered when the TV is off. That should prevent the TViX from getting the signals from the TV that are interfering with its setup when the TV is not ready.

Thanks, Terry. However, my HDMI switch is the one from Cables Unlimited and is passive regarding power. There is no power supply for it, other than what is running along the HDMI connection. It auto-selects the last HDMI device to be turned on and also has a manual selector button. I tried pushing the button before I turned off the TV, hoping it would switch to the next input and disconnect from the TV, but that didn't work. The TV was still sending back something that blocked the TViX from turning on.

I thought about experimenting with pushing the button at different times in the process and effectively disconnecting the TV. But, just the instant the TViX first turns on during the preliminaries before recording, the HDMI switch will shift to that input and connect it to the TV, which will block the full TViX turn-on and the recording.

If there was such a thing as a mechanical HDMI throwout switch, then that would work, but I doubt if it exists. My unplugging is the throwout switch. I wonder what is different about my TV that causes this? I have a disconnect switch on its powerline that I always throw, when it's turned off.

Right now, I'm feeling good about having found a way to make the TViX work for timed-recordings. I have a female-to-female HDMI coupler on the short cord coming out of the switch and hook that to the cord to the TV. This way, I don't have to unplug and wear out that one special cord that makes a good connection to the TViX.

Steve McDonald

post #728 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve, there are several available HDMI switch boxes that do have separate power supplies, so you could change your switch for one of those to automate your solution in the way that I suggested. But, of course, all that you would gain is the automation of an evidently satisfactory solution.

The age of your TV is likely the source of this problem, as it was undoubtedly one of the earliest to implement HDMI protocols and more recent designs are evidently different.
post #729 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Steve, there are several available HDMI switch boxes that do have separate power supplies, so you could change your switch for one of those to automate your solution in the way that I suggested. But, of course, all that you would gain is the automation of an evidently satisfactory solution.

The age of your TV is likely the source of this problem, as it was undoubtedly one of the earliest to implement HDMI protocols and more recent designs are evidently different.

I may have found a solution, which is a mechanical HDMI 3-way switch. It's from New Harbor through Amazon and the cost including shipping is $12. A reviewer says that it works, but complains that it doesn't switch by itself-----that you have to do it-----which is exactly what I want. A mechanical switch might be more dependable than an electronic one. Some other low-cost electronic switchers have gotten bad reviews-----quit working or never worked at all. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...n=New%20Harbor

My CRT HDTV works very well and puts on a better picture than any I've seen. The viewing angle is not a factor, as would be with flat-screen TVs. The last big CRT I had, held up for more than 16 years, so I'm hoping that this one will continue working for quite awhile longer.

Steve McDonald

post #730 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That switch may be manual, but it's not "mechanical". It may not solve your problem.

The ones I have experience with are from Monoprice and work well with TViX. Since they are separately powered, I think that they would effectively disconnect the TViX and your TV when their ac power is cut off.

Out of curiosity, does the TViX fail to power up for reservations if it's connected to your DTV and the latter is "off" but not disconnected from the ac line, as you say you normally do? If not, then how about if the TV is powered on before the reservation time?
post #731 of 2288 Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

That switch may be manual, but it's not "mechanical". It may not solve your problem.

The ones I have experience with are from Monoprice and work well with TViX. Since they are separately powered, I think that they would effectively disconnect the TViX and your TV when their ac power is cut off.

Out of curiosity, does the TViX fail to power up for reservations if it's connected to your DTV and the latter is "off" but not disconnected from the ac line, as you say you normally do? If not, then how about if the TV is powered on before the reservation time?

Terry, if the power is either connected or disconnected to the TV, it makes no difference. If the TV is not turned on, then the TViX won't turn on, if there's an HDMI connection between the two. If the TV is turned on, then the TViX will turn on.

We'll have to see about the switcher I ordered. If the manual button activates an electronic switch and it doesn't change the selection of inputs unless you push it sequentially, it should keep the connection to the TViX disconnected. I would set it to one of the other inputs after shutting off the TV and the TViX. The switcher I have now automatically shifts to the last input that has been activated, which causes the problem.

I have a row of on/off power switches for my equipment, that go through two surge-protected power strips. Each switch has a 3-way splitter cord coming out of it, so I could plug a powered HDMI switch into the one for the TV and it wouldn't be activated unless the TV was also. I may have to try your suggestion, if the unpowered switch I ordered doesn't do the job.

Added note on 6/23/11: I've found that since I was able to initialize and re-format the WD Green 2 TB HDD, even though it will now record and play TV programs on the TViX again, it is not recognized for use over USB to my computer. It shows up on the bottom of the Disk Management formatting page, but it won't appear on the Computer page with the other functional drives and I can't use it as an external HDD. I initialized it as MBR, with a simple partition and gave it the suggested name of Drive L and then was able to do a quick format to NTFS, with the pin 7 to 8 jumper removed.

I'm now working on a way to restore it for full use over USB, but don't know if there is actually any option to do that. I'll consult the Western Digital Help pages again and see if I can alter the way it was initialized and formatted, to get all its functions back. It won't work at all on the TViX now with the jumper installed, nor will it show up on the bottom of the Disk Management
formatting page if the jumper is in place.

Another added note: I went to the Western Digital website, got some instructions, then returned to my computer's Disk Management page. This time when I called up the HDD in the TViX, I renamed it Drive T and activated it, which was not done before. Then, I reformatted it to NTFS. Now, it shows up in the upper list of drives as active, healthy and with a primary partition. It also appears on the Computer page as a working drive and I'm able to transfer files to it over USB. I think that all is well at this point. The jumper from pin 7 to 8 is removed. I use Vista HP. I registered the HDD with Western Digital and it says that it is covered by their warranty for 37 months.

Steve McDonald

post #732 of 2288 Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 AM

I've discovered that when in TV mode, the M-6620N will not play DV-AVI videos. This same limitation exists on my Argosy Media Player, which has an HDD, but doesn't tune or record TV. Since DV and Digital 8 videos were widespread for many years, I can't understand why the format isn't supported. Another format it won't play, is dvr-ms, which is what Windows Media Center computers use to record TV programs. The Argosy won't play dvr-ms, either. In fact, neither the TViX or the Argosy will even show the dvr-ms video files on their lists, when in TV mode. They do show and play in USB mode, on a computer. When I first got my Argosy player, it wouldn't play MOV videos, but after its last firmware upgrade, it supports them.

I have about 700 GB of DV-AVI videos I've captured from tape that I will load onto my TViX for backup purposes and I could have several times more than that, if I digitized all my old analog camcorder recordings. I can play them on a computer over USB from my TViX, but would like to play them in TV mode, as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could install a video playing program of our choice in the TViX box. Maybe it could be done in the way that the CHDK custom firmware is employed in Canon cameras. It's installed in a partition on a memory card and runs a camera when the card is inserted, but has no effect on the basic firmware, when the card is removed.

Steve McDonald

post #733 of 2288 Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 AM

Regarding my TViX not turning on when connected to my turned-off JVC TV by HDMI, I've gotten an explanation from Kei Clark. She says that a programmer she knows experienced the same thing, when using a JVC video projector, that was connected to sources by HDMI. He determined that the EDID that JVC uses in some display devices has an incorrectly programmed register, that blocks the turn-on of connected video source units, when the display is turned off. Here's a link to a definition of what EDID is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...ification_data

If anyone else with a JVC television has a TViX turn-on problem, this may be the reason. Disconnecting the HDMI cord to a JVC TV, when it's turned off, as I have to do, may allow a TViX to turn on for timed-recordings. When my JVC TV is turned on, then there's no problem with my TViX turning on. The faulty EDID seems to be having this effect over the HDMI connection, only when the TV is off. I've ordered a manually-activated HDMI switch, that I'm hoping will disconnect my TViX from my TV, so I won't have to unplug it each time I set a timed-recording.

There is a power circuit running on an HDMI connection that will operate some switching devices and provides the power for a turned-off display to send back an EDID signal. However, when my Argosy HDD Media Player is connected to the same JVC TV by HDMI, it will turn on, even when the TV is off. Digital compatibility issues have so many complexities.

Steve McDonald

post #734 of 2288 Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 AM

I have an intermittent problem on my PVR. Sometimes, I'm losing the ATSC signals for all channels, and the only way to get them back is to reboot the unit. It happens either when changing channels or after a power on. Is this a known bug?
post #735 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrancoeur View Post

I have an intermittent problem on my PVR. Sometimes, I'm losing the ATSC signals for all channels, and the only way to get them back is to reboot the unit. It happens either when changing channels or after a power on. Is this a known bug?

You do have the latest firmware of 2.0.9? If you read about the troubles I've had with getting faulty EDID feedback from a JVC TV set, you might wonder how many of the bugs experienced by TViX users might be caused by other HDMI EDID irregularities. I think that Minevox could analyze these possibilities and devise a firmware upgrade that would neutralize them. As I have mentioned, my Argosy HDD Media Player does not have its turn-on blocked by the JVC EDID, so it apparently has firmware that addresses this potential problem. Try hooking up your TViX and running it over the composite video connection for awhile and see if the loss of ATSC channels still occurs. If you have another brand of HDMI-connected video display, try using it and check the results.

Steve McDonald

post #736 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrancoeur View Post

Not known in the current firmware. If you're running version 2.0.9, try "upgrading" it again. (Sorry, Steve, but this does not sound as though it's a TViX-display compatibility issue)
post #737 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Terry,

I noticed something else tonight for the first time. If I use the TViX copy function to copy a directory from the network to the local TViX hard drive, the TViX copies the directory contents in A-Z order and resets the creation dates and times to the current date and time. The end result is that I lose the ability to sort the directory by time.

Usually I load up the TViX using the USB port, which does not suffer from this issue.

-Dave
post #738 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dave, I've never paid attention to the timestamps for the native copy function. (Frankly, network copies are so slow that I've very seldom used that function--and certainly never for a full directory load!) Can you avoid this problem by using the SMB server and pushing the files from the PC end?
post #739 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone used subtitle successfully with your Tvix? I have not been able to, not once.

It appears that the Tvix only shows 12 folders and 12 files within each folder. Some of the folders and files I made appear on the computer but don't show on TVix. This thing is frustrating to use sometimes.
post #740 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Subtitles work on TViX using the embedded text streams in regular and BR DVD files and ISO images, as well as in MKV files. For other types, including HDTV TS/TP files, you need to supply the text in a separate (SRT or SUB) file. Google CCEXTRACTOR for a good free utility that does the job.
post #741 of 2288 Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Anyone used subtitle successfully with your Tvix? I have not been able to, not once.

It appears that the Tvix only shows 12 folders and 12 files within each folder. Some of the folders and files I made appear on the computer but don't show on TVix. This thing is frustrating to use sometimes.

I don't seem to have that limitation. I have some folders that have over 100 videos in them and as many as 1,100 photos. I can view them in both TV and USB modes with my TViX.

Steve McDonald

post #742 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

I see 12 files/folders per screen (actually 11 on the first screen plus an "up directory"), but I can page down and see more screens.

-Dave
post #743 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dave, I've never paid attention to the timestamps for the native copy function. (Frankly, network copies are so slow that I've very seldom used that function--and certainly never for a full directory load!) Can you avoid this problem by using the SMB server and pushing the files from the PC end?

I suspect that SMB is fine, but I have not tested it. I agree that the network function is so slow that this is not a big deal. In my case, I was upstairs and I wanted to copy a few files before the computer went to sleep.

I suspect that the same issue could be present using the TViX copy function to copy from an attached USB drive, but I have not tested that configuration.

Any problem that takes me a year to notice is probably not a very big deal for me .

-Dave
post #744 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 AM

I have 2.0.9 and I also doubt it would be linked to a HDMI issue. The TVIX OSD is appearing fine on my screen. It is just the signal which is lost (black screen). I will try to reload the firmware.
post #745 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

After one day of working fine a file became corrupted. Now it can't even be moved or deleted. It's a good thing I kept a backup. Gotta buy another hard drive and backup stuff after I remove the commercials. Anybody has any idea how to delete this file?

post #746 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've only seen that error message on one PC and its motherboard died a few weeks later.
post #747 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

This is an advance format hard drive and directions are provided on the best way to format according to your OS. I personally use a jumper on 7-8 on the 1.5 and 2TB versions, but would use the WD Align software for 3TB. Becareful and read up on proper format procedure to avoid future problems.

Can I take this to mean that if formatted properly and mounted internally, a 6620 can use the entire (2.6 or so) capacity of a 3TB SATA drive? If so, they've gotten cheap enough to be a no-brainer for anyone who craved for one when media servers with this storage cost $10k and up.

I bought one of the first batch of 6620s when DC got them in Oct '09. It's worked well enough that I haven't been here in a long time. From recent posts that I'm seeing it looks like I just have to update firmware to record from one tuner while watching the other. Is this correct?
post #748 of 2288 Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You got it, HH.
post #749 of 2288 Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Subtitles work on TViX using the embedded text streams in regular and BR DVD files and ISO images, as well as in MKV files. For other types, including HDTV TS/TP files, you need to supply the text in a separate (SRT or SUB) file. Google CCEXTRACTOR for a good free utility that does the job.

Thanks for the info, but I don't understand why I need a software in order to view sub-titles on the TVix. My TVs let me view sub-titles without requiring some additional software.
post #750 of 2288 Old 06-27-2011, 03:28 AM

Although my Western Digital WD20EARS 2 TB Green HDD has been working without trouble, since I figured out how to re-initialize, activate and format it after it became unrecognized, I'm getting a new, more advanced model. It is a WD2002FAEX, a 2 TB Black-Series HDD, with several improvements over the Green HDD. I think it will be more dependable over a long period, as I will use it as an important backup of about 1 TB of photos and videos, as well as for TV recording. I'll load more videos onto the Green HDD, then put it into reserve as an extra backup.

I found a good deal on the new HDD at Amazon, for $140., with free shipping. The price direct from Western Digital, is $180. It carries a 5-year warranty, while the Green HDD has 3-year coverage from the manufacturer. From what I've read, it may get a little warmer than the Green HDD, but not by much. I have my TViX elevated on aluminum tubes for air circulation underneath and the TViX fan seems to work well and is adjustable.

Steve McDonald

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page