Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic
DPlettner's Avatar DPlettner 03:30 PM 07-14-2011
I used a some cardboard and a couple squares of insulation foam rubber, like the stuff you can get at Home Depot to insert around a window air conditioner.

-Dave

Steve McD's Avatar Steve McD 11:16 PM 07-14-2011
The WD2002FAEX Black-Series HDD with 2 TB I bought recently, got very hot in my TViX. I took it out and re-installed the cool-running Green-Series 2 TB HDD I got with the TViX.

I ordered a Rosewill external HDD enclosure from New Egg, that has a fan. I'll use the Black HDD with it as an extra external backup drive. The enclosure works very well. I've loaded 150 GB of photos and videos to the drive over USB and the fan and cooling air channels are so effective, that it doesn't even become warm. It's as cool as a cucumber. It feels even cooler than nearby objects-----how can this be? Are there some refrigeration coils hidden inside?

It cost $27.99 by using a $5. discount code (the code expires at midnight tonight). It was shipped free. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173043 There's an identical black enclosure on the website for a few dollars more.

It came with an eSATA cord and bracket. There was a blank place for the bracket on my computer's rear panel, so I installed it. There was an empty socket on the motherboard labelled SATA 3 and the internal corded plug from the bracket fit into it nicely. I thought it would work, but it doesn't. There is no recognition of the drive when plugged in with the eSATA cord. I looked in the Help files for my 3-year old H-P quad-core desktop with Vista HP, but could find no mention of an eSATA connection or a possible activation process I might need to use it. It has an independent, external power supply. I have a thought that the HDD may need to get its power from the computer, to complete the grounding for the eSATA connection? Maybe a separate grounding wire might be connected between the computer and the HDD?

There was a PVR folder and several sub-folders on the HDD that were loaded when in the TViX. I tried to delete them and a deleting popup appeared, but after half an hour, it hadn't completed the deletion. I tried it on other folders with the same result. So I re-formatted the HDD, using a Quick Format to NTFS. Then, I loaded 1.5 GB of photos on it and deleted them to see how the process would work. Within seconds, they were deleted. I have no explanation for the problem deleting the TViX-recorded video.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 11:26 PM 07-14-2011
Steve, you probably need to change your PC's HDD drivers to use AHCI mode in order to access your eSATA-connected HDD. Unfortunately, that would likely mean that you'd need to reinstall Windows.
Steve McD's Avatar Steve McD 12:07 AM 07-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Steve, you probably need to change your PC's HDD drivers to use AHCI mode in order to access your eSATA-connected HDD. Unfortunately, that would likely mean that you'd need to reinstall Windows.

Thanks, Terry. I guess that change isn't going to happen. I have no wish to reload about 500 GB of files on my HDDs and a hundred programs.
Ronster38's Avatar Ronster38 05:22 PM 07-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1
My TVix gets hot when watching/recording TVs, not when watching recorded shows. Only the bottom and the back get hot. I put it on two aluminum bars to improve airflow. I also attach an alligator clip to the antenna port to take some of the heat away. The alligator clip feels hot, so hopefully that helps with the heat a little. I am not worried though, as I have run my TVix for about 16hrs at times. The previous crashes were not caused by heat for sure.

What I am interested in is another firmware update to include Closed Captioning. Common, $300 for DVR that can't do CC?
David's post gave me a great idea. He mentioned putting alligator clips on the antenna port as a heat sink. I got some 12 inch aluminum foil and folded about a foot of it into a half an inch strip and wrapped the bottom around the antenna port a couple of times and now the bottom and back of my TVIX don't get near as hot. I'm not going to test the temperatures but it is really a lot cooler. It is very noticeable. If anyone checks the temperate differences please let us know. I'm guessing it will be about 10 degrees cooler. Like I said it is very noticeable. This is basic physics on heat dissipation. Aluminum is a very, very good conductor to transfer the heat (or cold).
Davidt1's Avatar Davidt1 04:24 AM 07-17-2011
I even remove the hard drive cover to let more air in.
DPlettner's Avatar DPlettner 10:53 AM 07-17-2011
Quote:

It's pretty easy to enable AHCI after installing Windows. Just Google "windows 7 enable ahci". IIRC, it's a simple registry edit and then you can enable AHCI in the BIOS and Windows will detect and install a new AHCI SATA controller.

I do perceive that it is a little bit faster, but it could just be a placebo effect .

-Dave
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 11:24 AM 07-17-2011
Thanks, Dave. So it's not hard to switch to/from ACHI in Windows 7. I sit corrected. (But ACHI is needed for proper eSATA functions)

There's a nice tutorial on enabling ACHI after Win7 installation, here.
DPlettner's Avatar DPlettner 11:29 AM 07-17-2011
For Vista and Win7 it is pretty easy. For XP is is harder since Microsoft does not supply the driver. I did manage to do it once upon a time by hacking drivers from Intel by editing the inf files.

-Dave
dEEahn20's Avatar dEEahn20 10:04 PM 07-25-2011
Any word on a new fw update?
oldspice29's Avatar oldspice29 01:56 PM 07-28-2011
I noticed this device plugs directly into the TV with the cable source into the box. but this would only pick up basic cable TV channels and not encrypted channels like TMN.. or does it?

if it doesn't, can I plug the cable set top box coax from the cable Out which would normally go to the TV to this unit and then HDMI to the TV from the device?
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 03:02 PM 07-28-2011
It does not display encrypted TV content and it does not connect to the output of a cableco STB.
Davidt1's Avatar Davidt1 04:00 PM 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dEEahn20 View Post

I want to know too. I asked Dvico to support Closed Captioning with future firmware release but I have never heard back from them.

I haven't had any problem with my unit since those weird crashes that happened a few weeks ago. I work at night so I rely on the TVix to record about 3 shows a night, a task it has done fairly well for two months now. I have so far recorded about 250GB of HD shows in just two months. I love the unit, but still the lack of CC pisses me off.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 04:14 PM 07-28-2011
Understand that adding DTVCC is a nontrivial task and I have no evidence that DViCo/Minevox has even bought into the idea of adding it. IOW, don't hold your breath expecting a new FW sporting that feature anytime soon (or ever). It wasn't advertised on the retail box or website so if it cannot get piggybacked onto development of next-generation products it probably won't happen.
Davidt1's Avatar Davidt1 04:52 PM 07-28-2011
That is very unfortunate. But I think the Korean engineers who make the products the DVico would understand the importance of Closed Captioning for their own people living in the US who wish to learn English through the use of CC.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 05:09 PM 07-28-2011
Have you tried CCExtract? It's free and very easy to use--and can even be run on a batch of TP files in one operation. Then TViX displays the CC in the extracted srt file automatically when you play the source file.
Davidt1's Avatar Davidt1 05:16 PM 07-28-2011
Quote:

Have you tried CCExtract? It's free and very easy to use--and can even be run on a batch of TP files in one operation. Then TViX displays the CC in the extracted srt file automatically when you play the source file.

I downloaded that software before, but didn't understand how to use it.
Davidt1's Avatar Davidt1 02:22 PM 07-29-2011
I tried CCextractor again. It's a very poor alternative to a built-in CC.

1. It only processes one file even though there are more than one input files.

2. To do another file, I have to close it and load another file.

3. Closed Captioning only starts at the beginning (a problem with the TVix?). If a movie is stopped and resumed later, CC won't work properly.

4. It is time consuming.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 02:38 PM 07-29-2011
0. Agreed that it's a poor second, but it beats having no second!

1. Wrong! If you use the GUI version you can drop as many files as you like on it and it will process them in turn.

2. See 1.

3. Only partially correct. Resume doesn't work with CC, so you need to:
A. Resume the file.
B. Observe the play time.
C. Exit.
D. Start the file and use GoTo to return to your resume point.

4. See 0.
DPlettner's Avatar DPlettner 10:00 AM 07-30-2011
There is an option that creates a single SRT file or multiple SRT files from multiple input files. This supports the old files length options used with FAT32. Check for that option.

-Dave
Davidt1's Avatar Davidt1 10:46 AM 07-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

There is an option that creates a single SRT file or multiple SRT files from multiple input files. This supports the old files length options used with FAT32. Check for that option.

-Dave

Thanks for the info. It processes multiple files now.
dEEahn20's Avatar dEEahn20 12:58 AM 08-02-2011
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

I want to know too...

Would be nice to have one soon, things have been a bit dry. Do all the resources have to focus on the Xroid A1? Just looking for general performance enhancements, bug fixes. Surprise feature updates would always be nice though.
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 08:15 AM 08-02-2011
Quote:

Would be nice to have one soon, things have been a bit dry. Do all the resources have to focus on the Xroid A1? Just looking for general performance enhancements, bug fixes. Surprise feature updates would always be nice though.

The Roku HD1000 (in HD) became available about September 2003, here we are 8 years later and still no dependable, easy to use, inexpensive PVR/Media Player. It will be interesting to see how the Xroid A1works out. Apparently it will not have OTA capabilities .
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 10:04 AM 08-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

...It will be interesting to see how the Xroid A1 works out. Apparently it will not have OTA capabilities .

Correct. It's strictly a streamer, not a PVR.
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 06:14 AM 08-03-2011
Quote:

Correct. It's strictly a streamer, not a PVR.

Terry, have you test drove one of these (Xroid A1)? Results, thread(s)?
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 10:19 AM 08-03-2011
Can't comment yet. Stay tuned....
Dagwood70's Avatar Dagwood70 04:17 PM 08-03-2011
Unless it happens really soon I'll have to pull the trigger on a M6620N or CM7000PAL
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 04:37 PM 08-03-2011
Just be aware that the TViX records either OTA (8VSB) or cable (clear-QAM), while the PAL only does OTA.
Ronster38's Avatar Ronster38 04:54 PM 08-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood70 View Post

Unless it happens really soon I'll have to pull the trigger on a M6620N or CM7000PAL

Hi Dagwood, I recommend going with the M6620N instead of the CM7000PAL. I own both and the TVIX is far superior. My DTVPAL crapped out in 6 months. One of my tuners burned out. It's just a paper weight now. Also, you cannot save recordings with the PAL. You can with the TVIX and easily replace hard drives. It is also a great media streamer. The TVIX also gets regular firmware updates. The PAL does not. Trust me, the M6620N is one of the best OTA recorders.
Dagwood70's Avatar Dagwood70 08:32 PM 08-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronster38 View Post

Hi Dagwood, I recommend going with the M6620N instead of the CM7000PAL. I own both and the TVIX is far superior. My DTVPAL crapped out in 6 months. One of my tuners burned out. It's just a paper weight now. Also, you cannot save recordings with the PAL. You can with the TVIX and easily replace hard drives. It is also a great media streamer. The TVIX also gets regular firmware updates. The PAL does not. Trust me, the M6620N is one of the best OTA recorders.

Thanks for the advice Ronster38 & TPeterson.
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop