post #61 of 2288 Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

Since the TIVX is connected to the internet, wouldn't it be possible for it to go out and get the guide data as long as you entered in your zip code and what type of cable service you have?

Once again, commercial products (like the TViX) must pay to use this guide data. How do you think guide data providers make their money?

At public sites like like Zap2it.com, TVGuide.com, etc you'll find a disclaimer like this:

Quote:

These Terms of Service govern your use of Zap2it.com. Your use of our site tells us you have read and agreed to these Terms of Service and our Privacy Policy. Zap2it.com reserves the right to deny access to the site to any person who violates these Terms of Service.

All information, content, services and software displayed on, transmitted through, or used in connection with Zap2it.com, with the exception of User Content as defined below, including for example news articles, reviews, directories, guides, text, photographs, images, illustrations, audio clips, video, html, source and object code, trademarks, logos, and the like (collectively, the "Content"), as well as its selection and arrangement, is owned by Tribune Media Services, Inc. ("TMS"), and/or its affiliated companies, licensors and suppliers. You may use the Content online only, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use, and you may download or print a single copy of any portion of the Content solely for your personal, non-commercial use, provided you do not remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from such Content.

You may not republish any portion of the Content on any Internet, Intranet or extranet site or incorporate the Content in any database, compilation, archive or cache. You may not distribute any Content to others, whether or not for payment or other consideration, and you may not archive, modify, copy, frame, cache, reproduce, sell, publish, transmit, display or otherwise use any portion of the Content. You may not scrape or otherwise copy our Content without permission. You agree not to decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble any software or other products or processes accessible through Zap2it.com, not to insert any code or product or manipulate the content of Zap2it.com in any way that affects the user's experience, and not to use any data mining, data gathering or extraction method.

Products that use or integrate online guide data without paying for a license are quickly sued for copyright infringement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2288 Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Once again, commercial products (like the TViX) must pay to use this guide data. How do you think guide data providers make their money?

At public sites like like Zap2it.com, TVGuide.com, etc you'll find a disclaimer like this:

Products that use or integrate online guide data without paying for a license are quickly sued for copyright infringement.

What about Comcast's TV listings?:

http://www.fancast.com/comcast-tv-listings
post #63 of 2288 Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 AM

720P channels for some reason show as 720i on the TIVX? Anyone else notice this?
post #64 of 2288 Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:

What about Comcast's TV listings?:

http://www.fancast.com/comcast-tv-listings

I think that they could implement a service such as Schedules Direct, which is free to implement, but costs the user $20.00 per year. However, I don't think this is on DViCO's "to-do" list. It would also help the Open Source community as a whole. Maybe if enough of us turned in requests...
post #65 of 2288 Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Schedules Direct's licensing also prohibits commercial products from using their service directly. If you look more carefully you'll see that all of the subcribers' software is non commercial.

As bfdtv says, DViCo would have to pay for a license to one of the services to use their data--or face a lawsuit in short order.
post #66 of 2288 Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobehouse View Post

...I cant see or record channels...well,...I can see a couple of them but not the good one.....any chance adding some hardware, software, or special setting i can be able to watch some channels and record them?

If the "good" one is not in your Limited Basic cable service, no. See previous posts in this thread about what can and cannot be viewed and recorded via the TViX.

It sounds as though you didn't do your homework before plunking down your plastic.
post #67 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 12:49 AM

I am having problems with setting the time and date of my appliance.
I have tried all options settings using manual, auto-tv and auto-network. However, after a while, the time changes to something ridiculous like a date in 2039. Does anyone else have this problem? As you can imagine, this makes it difficult to record tv.
post #68 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

rochae--

What does "after a while" mean? I've seen somewhat bad times (but not dates) caused by tuning to some DTV stations who aren't watching their PSIP data stream closely enough, but if you leave the unit set to auto-network I wouldn't expect the time/date to go bad spontaneously. Likewise, if on auto-TV it should not suddenly go awry...Hmm...unless this is a new feature of the background EPG loading when there's a bad PSIP clock on one station! What exactly are you seeing? And what firmware are you running?
post #69 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 AM

So I guess people are not having this problem. I was hoping this was a firmware issue (having upgraded to the most recent beta version rather early).

The time changes after a random duration usually after several hours.
For example, one minute... it's November 24, 2009 11:30 AM... The next minute it is at at January 12, 2029 03:20 AM.

I would assume that auto-tv and auto-network (?ntp?) should have some skew mechanism to prevent drastic change to the system clock. If this problem is not the firmware, then could I possibly have a faulty cmos?
post #70 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it does it spontaneously with all three time-mode settings, I'd suspect a hw problem inside the box, yes.
post #71 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochae View Post

So I guess people are not having this problem. I was hoping this was a firmware issue (having upgraded to the most recent beta version rather early).

The time changes after a random duration usually after several hours.
For example, one minute... it's November 24, 2009 11:30 AM... The next minute it is at at January 12, 2029 03:20 AM.

Many people had this problem with the DTVPal DVR prior to firmware F208.

A number of OTA products update their clocks to reflect the PSIP time reported by the last tuned channel. Unfortunately, many stations (especially smaller ones) don't maintain accurate time. The result is a clock that varies widely; that may not matter much in a CECB, but it's a big problem for a timer-based recorder.

Ideally, the M6620N should ignore PSIP time and use NTP (Internet) time exclusively when it has a network connection.
post #72 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:33 AM

For a very vague timeline of events...

1. Received tvix. Set time to auto-tv.
2. Glaced through this thread, decided to upgrade to beta release (the October one I think?)
3. Used the tvix and was happy
4. Scheduled to record some tv
5. One show was fine. However, Noticed that the last show was interrupted. Began investigating, and noticed the system clock to be off. Reset time to auto-network
6. Checked clock after a few hours. Ok.
7. Checked clock the next day and problem again appeared.
8. Set clock to manual.
9. After some time... clock is goofed up again?
post #73 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:50 AM

I set it to manual again, and the time is still good for over a day.

Otherwise, I am a pretty happy customer. Was really unhappy with my WD HD streamer, and this thing does pretty much everything my old htpc did but much quieter.
post #74 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

bfdtv--

Why don't you stop guessing at what the M6620 does, since you clearly don't have one, and go update your DTVpal FAQ to acknowledge that there's now another freestanding dual-tuner option for folks--and this one can do cable DTV!
post #75 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

bfdtv--

Why don't you stop guessing at what the M6620 does, since you clearly don't have one, and go update your DTVpal FAQ to acknowledge that there's now another freestanding dual-tuner option for folks--and this one can do cable DTV!

I felt it was an educated guess, since people have seen the identical problem with other products (i.e. products allowing PSIP date/time information to override manual date/time settings).

As for the FAQ, few people have this product so there's not much information on it. You seem knowledgeable about it, so would you mind going down the list of items on the comparison table to indicate what the TViX does and doesn't do? No need to comment on every item, just those that may not be obvious from the spec sheet. That would help.
post #76 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #77 of 2288 Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here ya go.

Thanks. I'll add that in tonight.
post #78 of 2288 Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Still having issues with the unit locking up on HDTV viewing. Have not tried with OTA antenna yet so it is still connected to Comcast cable.

Anyone else have this problem?

It will just freeze on a channel and will just show that image until the unit is powered cycled. It will not let me switch to movie or any other option or go into setup. The only remote button that will work is the Power button and then it just restarts.
post #79 of 2288 Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Still having issues with the unit locking up on HDTV viewing. Have not tried with OTA antenna yet so it is still connected to Comcast cable. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I've seen the problem. It seems to be an issue caused by the latest fw, which is not reliably distinguishing between encrypted and clear QAM channels and is doing a background EPG update on all channels using the idle tuner, leading to a crash.

I've found that you can avoid the problem by using the channel-scanning skipping control to allow it only to map the clear QAM channels. This is obviously not ideal but it does work. The alternative is to go back to earlier, non-beta fw for now.

There is allegedly an new beta coming down the pike relatively soon, but if you're using QAM I advise waiting on that until we've had a chance to confirm that it's fixed the channel scanning.
post #80 of 2288 Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Yes, I've seen the problem. It seems to be an issue caused by the latest fw, which is not reliably distinguishing between encrypted and clear QAM channels and is doing a background EPG update on all channels using the idle tuner, leading to a crash.

I've found that you can avoid the problem by using the channel-scanning skipping control to allow it only to map the clear QAM channels. This is obviously not ideal but it does work. The alternative is to go back to earlier, non-beta fw for now.

There is allegedly an new beta coming down the pike relatively soon, but if you're using QAM I advise waiting on that until we've had a chance to confirm that it's fixed the channel scanning.

Well that is good to know as I was starting to worry I had a hardware issue.

Any chance T that you could shed more light on the "map clear QAM" trick as I would like to try that!

Thank you for all the help and info you provide here by the way.

Big THUMBS way up!
post #81 of 2288 Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just mean that if you know which channels have only clear QAM stations, you can use the new skipping feature during the channel scan to force the TViX not to map channels with encrypted stations that might cause crashing. It's a kluge and if you don't know the clear-QAM channels on your cable you can't do it.

Better to go back to the non-beta fw for the time being.
post #82 of 2288 Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I added the TViX M6620N to DVR comparison chart. Now members can better compare available solutions.

At the bottom of the table, I also added a section for screenshots (work in progress).

I do need clarification on the following TViX M6620 features, since I've received conflicting information:
  1. Does the M6620 support closed captions on (a) liveTV, (b) delayed programming from the buffer, and (c) recordings?
  2. Is the liveTV buffer always enabled when the M6620 s on, or do you have to enable it with a button press?
  3. If the liveTV buffer is not always on, how does one replay and rewind liveTV? Does pressing pause enable the buffer?
  4. Can one save the liveTV buffer to a recording?
  5. When recording one channel in the background and watching (but not recording) liveTV on the other tuner, are pause, replay, rewind available?
  6. Does the M6620 show program information for multiple channels at the same time in the EPG, or only the currently selected/highlighted channel?
  7. Does the M6620 allow one to skip 15+ minutes in a recorded program with a button press? What means are available to jump through a recorded program, besides FF?
  8. When downloading recorded files, is each recording a single file? Or multiple files? And is it in TS, M2TS, or MPG format?
  9. Are SD and HD outputs active simultaneously? Or must one switch between the two?
  10. Can HD channels be output as anamorphic 16:9 widescreen through composite?
post #83 of 2288 Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

bfdtv--

1. The TViX supports subtitles of several types in recordings, but not DTVCC.
2. You start Timeshifting by pressing the Pause key.
3. See 2.
4. I don't think so, but I've not explored that.
5. No.
6. As of the latest beta fw, it shows EPG for all channels that contain PSIP EIT data without changing the currently tuned channel, but it only shows a list for one channel at at time.
7. You can skip directly to any time in a recording via the GoTo key.
8. Each TViX recording is a single file in TS format.
9. I think so, but I've never checked.
10. I don't know what that means and I doubt that I care.
post #84 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM

Any chance of Netflix being added?
post #85 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe. Post your request to DViCo by registering at the TViX MyQ&A Forum and submitting it there.
post #86 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I just mean that if you know which channels have only clear QAM stations, you can use the new skipping feature during the channel scan to force the TViX not to map channels with encrypted stations.....

How do you access this feature? Right now, my 6620 thinks it gets about 90 stations from Time Warner when in reality it just gets four; the major network affiliates and PBS. I'm hoping this feature will allow me to have it ignore the encrypted stations and just flip through the four that give me real signals.

Possibly unrelated; PBS is coming in on 1008-0 which claims to have no channel number and to have eleven stations within 1008-0, each at a different frequency. Trying to work with this, I haven't been able to setup recordings on PBS. Any thoughts?
post #87 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The scan skipping is new with the 1.9.1.b5 beta, which also has problems with U.S. QAM scanning. It sounds as though PBS is not being correctly detected. I suggest that you back down to the previous non-beta fw and see if that doesn't work better for your QAM channels.

The next fw should be better with QAM scanning.
post #88 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Hi. Newbie Question... Besides wanting to use the M6620N as a clear QAM tuner for an older TV, I am considering purchasing it to wirelessly transport/play my many .mkv (720p/x264), .avi (divx/xvid), .flac, .mp3 media files from my PC to my TV and HT audio.

I have not owned a media server before. From reading the docs, it sounds like I can't simply connect the M6620N via WiFi and play the files sitting on my PC's shared hard-drive, like I would from another networked computer. Rather, do my media files need to be served from my PC? Is that where NAS comes in? Where can I go to learn more about this?

My PC runs WXP, sharing various folders via typical home WiFi router. Appreciate the help.
post #89 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:

If the "good" one is not in your Limited Basic cable service, no. See previous posts in this thread about what can and cannot be viewed and recorded via the TViX.

It sounds as though you didn't do your homework before plunking down your plastic.

I have read the previous posts, but am still a bit confused myself. My downstairs TV has a DTV tuner, and can tune in approx 170+ clear QAM channels from my Comcast cable service. But I am unsure what "res" these are - SD or HD. Most appear SD to me. Does that mean the TViX won't see most of them, even though my other built-in QAM tuners do?

Here's the QAM lineup for my neck of the woods:
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_1210808
post #90 of 2288 Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

burndawgz--

Yes, your PC can "serve" the files to the TViX over WiFi (if your rf link is good).

Yes, the TViX will tune all of the QAM channels that your DTV tunes. The confusion that you're having is unfortunately caused by people who sloppily refer to NTSC (analog TV) as "SD", which should simply refer to the resolution (i.e., "not HD").

P.S.: Most of those QAM channels will someday soon be encrypted, so don't get too fond of seeing them for "free".
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page