Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did the time change mess up your scheduled recordings? For the time setting, I picked "manual" from the set-up menu. I missed two recordings because I didn't change the time in time.

I am wondering if the other time setup options would have adjusted the clock automatically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You need to manually toggle the DST setting on/off in any case.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apologies if this question has been answered but with the world wide shortage of HDDs (when ordering the M6620NP), is possible to record to an external drive for the time being?

Found the answer - The answer according to a previous post in this thread is 'no'

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, but that's correct.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disto View Post

Only DD+ HD audio works. DTS MA does not.

Run this patch: http://www.sharaget.com/vHAqf1a/blue...-0907-zip.html
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Did the time change mess up your scheduled recordings? For the time setting, I picked "manual" from the set-up menu. I missed two recordings because I didn't change the time in time.

I am wondering if the other time setup options would have adjusted the clock automatically?

I had mine set to Auto and it did not switch to Standard Time. Not only did I have to manually go in and change it in setup, it would not pick up the correct time until I rebooted.

It is a shame, because the ATSC STT has all the information the unit needs to change the clock and wake up an hour earlier, or later, as needed.

If I had scheduled a recording from the EPG it would have occurred at the correct time because both the EPG and STT are UTC based.

I filed a My Q&A report, but alas they don't have a very good track record of fixing problems.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The problem arose because, several years ago when DViCo released its first PVR in the U.S., many stations didn't maintain the DST flag correctly. So DViCo implemented a manual setting. I expect that nowadays the U.S. stations are much better mannered, but getting DViCo to change back has been problematic.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

Thank you. That worked.

-Tony
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been reading threads about other DVRs. Naturally I want check around and see if there is anything better out there. I have to say I don't think so after reading about some brands completely failed after the time change, the inability to edit and share recorded shows, tiny (320GB) un-upgradable hard drives, etc., etc.

I am relatively happy with my TVix.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

TViX playback is much more forgiving of TS errors than is CCExtractor so you may need to improve your signal quality.

Okay, for close local channels I can get perfect recordings. I run CCExtractor and I get a perfect extract using all the default values. Now, when I watch a show with subtitles on, I get flash of text at the beginning, top to bottom of text and then nothing. Am I missing something? Perhaps there is a variable in CCExtractor I must change. I am so close.

-Tony
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It sounds as though your settings for the CC are bogus. Press the Subtitle key while the file is playing and then you can choose an appropriate font size and screen position.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM

This is a sample of the text ...

00:01:07,434 --> 00:01:10,569

HEY. I JUST NOTICED

THE FRONT DOOR WAS OPEN.

00:01:10,637 --> 00:01:13,038

MAYBE YOU LEFT IT

THAT WAY?

00:01:13,106 --> 00:01:16,642

I DON'T KNOW.

I THOUGHT I HEARD SOMETHING.

And that is exactly what I see as a flash, numbering and timing included. Then nothing. When I select the Extra Sub button, I see the properly named .srt file. When I play with the size and position sliders, I see the sample text on the screen. I may have to try a default reset. Does that reset all my timers as well?

-Tony
Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Perhaps your srt file isn't formatted properly. Check the CCExtractor settings. IIRC, I just used defaults for srt, but it's been a while since I played with its configuration.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Hi all, Do you think there would be a way to populate the TV guide data from the internet connection with a separate service on this device (M6620N)?

Thanks & Regards
Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Realtek, that's possible in principle but not doable in practice without designing your own firmware. It won't likely happen with DViCo's native fw because they would have to pay a license fee for the use of the data.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

What are you suppose to do with this.
I'm Central time and the damn thing thinks I'm Eastern time.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreyland View Post

What are you suppose to do with this.
I'm Central time and the damn thing thinks I'm Eastern time.

Never mind I got it.
First had to find the time zones. Toggled back-n-forth, turn DST "OFF".
Go back to the network time settings and change to manual, adjust same, reset to network and everything seems to work.

Again TViX is a pain in the ass, but it records OTA. Worth buying one and wait for better technology.
When's that Xroid going to get a PVR? That might make it worth a try after a few FW upgrades.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Perhaps your srt file isn't formatted properly. Check the CCExtractor settings. IIRC, I just used defaults for srt, but it's been a while since I played with its configuration.

Well, after examining the srt file carefully, I noticed that at the end of every line, there are 2 CRs and 1 LF. So I ran it through a text processor and removed 1 of the CRs. Now the file works! However, it is a pain to have to run through yet another step to get to see CC. I could not find an option in CCExtractor to fix the problem. I have to ask, how many people that have the M6620 use CC from OTA?

-Tony
Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disto View Post

I have to ask, how many people that have the M6620 use CC from OTA?

I can't because my TVix doesn't have CC.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Actually, no one can, I meant do you extract to subtitles like I am trying?

-Tony
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Liked: 13
I've used CCExtractor on recorded OTA with pretty good results.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

I have been reading threads about other DVRs. Naturally I want check around and see if there is anything better out there. I have to say I don't think so after reading about some brands completely failed after the time change, the inability to edit and share recorded shows, tiny (320GB) un-upgradable hard drives, etc., etc.

I am relatively happy with my TVix.

Me too although I hope they continue to improve the firmware (or put it in an open forum so others can). Works quite well but there is considerable room for improvement.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Liked: 12
Friday, my 6620N started shutting itself off while watching TV. This happened on several channels and appeared to be random. I eventually unplugged it for a couple of minutes and it seemed to work better. This does not happen if watching a recording.

Today, it started this again but only on channels 30-1 and 30-2. No amount of unplugging or powering up or down changed this behavior.

Here's the symptoms:
Watching TV, change to channel 30-1 or 30-2, TVIX shuts itself off in 5-40secs, happens every time I try, all other channels OK.

Additional info:
I noticed that if I look at the guide after selecting one of the problem channels, the guide says "No Channel." If I scroll through the guide from another channel, the info EPG appears normal until I select 30-1 or 30-2.
After restarting it from the unintentional power off, it restarts in the menu, rather than back on the tuner.

Things I have tried:
Unplugging and powering off/on - several times.
Starting a recording on a channel and then changing to 30-1/2 to force use of the second tuner.
Downgraded to 2.0.9 and reset to factory defaults.
Re-scanned channels.
Re-Upgraded to 2.1.0 and reset to factory defaults.
Re-scanned channels again.

All these changes have no impact. Unless someone has a bright idea, I may have to exchange my unit.

Anyone?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluvr View Post

Friday, my 6620N started shutting itself off while watching TV. This happened on several channels and appeared to be random. I eventually unplugged it for a couple of minutes and it seemed to work better. This does not happen if watching a recording.

Today, it started this again but only on channels 30-1 and 30-2. No amount of unplugging or powering up or down changed this behavior.

Here's the symptoms:
Watching TV, change to channel 30-1 or 30-2, TVIX shuts itself off in 5-40secs, happens every time I try, all other channels OK.

Additional info:
I noticed that if I look at the guide after selecting one of the problem channels, the guide says "No Channel." If I scroll through the guide from another channel, the info EPG appears normal until I select 30-1 or 30-2.
After restarting it from the unintentional power off, it restarts in the menu, rather than back on the tuner.

Things I have tried:
Unplugging and powering off/on - several times.
Starting a recording on a channel and then changing to 30-1/2 to force use of the second tuner.
Downgraded to 2.0.9 and reset to factory defaults.
Re-scanned channels.
Re-Upgraded to 2.1.0 and reset to factory defaults.
Re-scanned channels again.

All these changes have no impact. Unless someone has a bright idea, I may have to exchange my unit.

Anyone?

Sound a lot like the problem we recently had to ION stations. Best thing to do, call the station engineer and ask if they've made any changes recently. It would be useful to get a few seconds of the datastream to be analyzed.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

oshunluvr--

I agree with Kei that this sounds similar to an issue that TViX had with ION stations a while back. (Where are you? What network is 30.x? You might want to put some location info into your AVS Forum profile so that it shows up in your posts, as does mine to the left of this note)

But in any case, if you're having a problem with a single station swapping out the TViX for a different unit won't help you, because it's a software/firmware problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Amoung a few other annoyances, the one thing I truely hate the most is when you're watching a program and it changes because a recording starts.

The worst is watching a recording that is not done recording and the station changes because a recording starts. You then have to start the recording from the beginning. The is nothing fasst about the FF features. If you press cancel to prevent the switching you lose the recording. There has got to be a firmware upgrade that can fix this.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluvr View Post

Friday, my 6620N started shutting itself off while watching TV.

Anyone?

This is the exact problem I have been having on TVO in Toronto. I'm convinced it is something in the PSIP stream. Once past the time of the culprit show, it works fine. That being said I haven't seen the problem for about a month (but no longer use the TVIX in the morning on that channel either).
Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM

@Kei and Tpet.: I updated my profile a bit - 30-1 and -2 are in fact Ion channels here in L.A. That explains a lot and makes me feel better. Still an annoyance but good to know I don't have to go through the replacement process.

I will say it seems to be a rather drastic outcome for a station stream to turn off my device but at least it's not unheard of. Kei, what data should I collect and is there a setting I can change that would prevent this from happening (short of not watching that channel)?

@dornanu: So you think it could be show based? Interesting. Anyone else back this up? Possible a firmware change to prevent the power down would be in order.

@sreyland: Yeah, several of us have complained of this. Even an engineer should recognize this is bad behavior for an entertainment device. Most annoying for me is dual tuners and I still have this happen when I'm watching a recording not even on the TViX hard drive.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oshunluvr,

I didn't realize you are in the LA area. I have not tried watching ION in quite a while, so I'll try and capture a file to upload to Minevox. Rather odd as this was corrected while back, they must have done something new again.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks again Kei - you're the best customer service rep ever...