Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1261 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If your cable channels had PSIP data they'd be sorted. Maybe you can get the cableco to do its job better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

If your cable channels had PSIP data they'd be sorted. Maybe you can get the cableco to do its job better?

I'm sure they would help me out. With 10 DVRs and two TVs, only the TViX likes to keep them in random order. The CM7400 had them in sequentional order, but the numbers were wrong so I sent it back. Something else to live with I guess. Maybe I should rent a cable card. But where would I plug it in?

Maybe I will write TNT or USA and ask them to add PSIP data. Perhaps C-SPAN will since they are associated with the government.
post #1263 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

.... Maybe I should rent a cable card. But where would I plug it in?

Ummm.. The "T" machine?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1264 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Ummm.. The "T" machine?

Already have it. Just doing some end of the world testing. But what really bothers me is HOW you can cause the random sequence. I can't figure that out, which really bothers me. I can understand switching scrambled with clear QAM by a coding error. But the box must be doing a sequentional scan. It's as if the "tool" used doesn't initialize the data segment. I'm so glad the Favorites functions good except with the guide button, which I never need.
post #1265 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My box has developed a new problem.

Whenever I activate the tuners (or the system activates the tuners according to the recording schedule) the unit shuts off after 1-2min. The tuners work since I'm watching OTA tv when the unit shuts down. I have turned up the fan speed from normal to high2 to see if that would help if heat was the problem but to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

If I can't fix this problem does anyone have any experience with getting warranty work?

thx
post #1266 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post

My box has developed a new problem.

Whenever I activate the tuners (or the system activates the tuners according to the recording schedule) the unit shuts off after 1-2min. The tuners work since I'm watching OTA tv when the unit shuts down. I have turned up the fan speed from normal to high2 to see if that would help if heat was the problem but to no avail.

Sounds a bit like the ION crasher! Do you have an ION affiliate in your channel list? If so, try deleting it and any subchannels (Qubo, IONLIfe) and see if that fixes it.
post #1267 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.H View Post

Sounds a bit like the ION crasher! Do you have an ION affiliate in your channel list? If so, try deleting it and any subchannels (Qubo, IONLIfe) and see if that fixes it.

How do I delete a channel? Remember, I only have a few seconds if I go into HDTV mode before the unit shuts down.
post #1268 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I receive WQPX in 720p and SD 480i and analog without any error.
post #1269 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I delete a channel? Remember, I only have a few seconds if I go into HDTV mode before the unit shuts down.

Remove the antenna line first?
post #1270 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 13
cah95046 - if 95046 is your zip code then you are in San Martin, California and your local ION affiliate is KKPX (65.1, 65.2 (Qubo), 65.3 (ION Life)). Updating your profile with your approximate location would be helpful!

Some ION stations have started broadcasting additional subchannels - these are MPEG4 and encrypted. They are part of a subscription service called AirBox. Right now not all ION affiliates are broadcasting them and/or not all the time. If these additional subs are there the M6620 will crash.

Minevox (TViX) are aware of the problem and are hopefully working late into the Korean night to fix the problem. (Wishful thinking on my part).

Unplug the antenna as suggested, or you can try and skip the channel during a channel scan.
post #1271 of 2288 Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:

I had to work fast but I was able to delete the ION channels before the system shut down. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Tvix really needs to fix this kind of problem. Bush league firmware.
post #1272 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

cah95046
Some ION stations have started broadcasting additional subchannels - these are MPEG4 and encrypted. They are part of a subscription service called AirBox. Right now not all ION affiliates are broadcasting them and/or not all the time. If these additional subs are there the M6620 will

I have the older 3310 and a few years ago I discovered that ION channels caused the device to shutdown. I called the local ION office and had their engineer log onto this forum. He ended up providing a full TS snippet so Divco could fix the problem. They never did, and I was disappointed to see it wasn't fixed in the 6620 as well.

The other issue identified was that if you had the same programming on 2 different channels then the 3310 got confused and the EPG was blank for those 2 channels. I wonder if that's been fixed on the 6620?.
post #1273 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had to work fast but I was able to delete the ION channels before the system shut down. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Tvix really needs to fix this kind of problem. Bush league firmware.

Specs:
support for codec:
MPEG-4 2 (ASP@L5, 720p 1-point GMC)

I have no idea what it means, but I have a lot of stuff that doesn't support MPEG-4.
post #1274 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:

cah95046 - if 95046 is your zip code then you are in San Martin, California and your local ION affiliate is KKPX (65.1, 65.2 (Qubo), 65.3 (ION Life)). Updating your profile with your approximate location would be helpful!

Some ION stations have started broadcasting additional subchannels - these are MPEG4 and encrypted. They are part of a subscription service called AirBox. Right now not all ION affiliates are broadcasting them and/or not all the time. If these additional subs are there the M6620 will crash.

Minevox (TViX) are aware of the problem and are hopefully working late into the Korean night to fix the problem. (Wishful thinking on my part).

Unplug the antenna as suggested, or you can try and skip the channel during a channel scan.

Thx for the suggestions. I used to live in San Martin but now in Utah
post #1275 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I have the older 3310 and a few years ago I discovered that ION channels caused the device to shutdown. I called the local ION office and had their engineer log onto this forum. He ended up providing a full TS snippet so Divco could fix the problem. They never did, and I was disappointed to see it wasn't fixed in the 6620 as well.

The other issue identified was that if you had the same programming on 2 different channels then the 3310 got confused and the EPG was blank for those 2 channels. I wonder if that's been fixed on the 6620?.

The original ION problem was fixed in the M6620N, but not in the R3310. Hopefully, the new problem will be fixed in the firmware soon.
post #1276 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM

Liked: 10
I have skimmed through these 1,200+ posts and I am still uncertain if the M6620NP will fill all of my multi-media needs. I think it does, but I would like a TViX owner to confirm that the M6620NP has the attributes below.

1. Has an elegant, intuitive and easy to use graphical interface for my family to play the files indicated below. I would like the interface to display album/DVD art and allow for easy sorting by name, artist, genre, etc.
-Play DVD *. VOB files from my local Network Attached Storage (NAS) (HP MediaSmart Server)
-Play BD *.m2ts files from my local NAS
-Play *.MP3 files from my local NAS
-Display *.jpg files from my local NAS. Perhaps a slideshow with music?

2. Allows me to easily watch movies and shows from Netflick, Hulu, and Amazon.

3. Allows me to watch, record, and playback OTA HD programming. I understand that a program schedule interface is not available for this no-fee device.

Sorry for not framing my question using the appropriate container/format/codec names.I just can't figure that stuff out. I know what a file extension is though!

I currently use a WD TV Live device for viewing movies and pictures and listening to music from my NAS. While it performs these tasks, the interface clunky and my family refuses to use it (I could work around these limitations if the WD TV Live used discrete IR codes for my Logitech Harmony Remote to access). I use a roku device for playing cloud-based content, but it often locks up . I would love to replace these devices.

I am also considering a Dune player to watch my NAS and cloud-based media, with either a TViX or Tivo device as an OTH tuner. I understand that Dune requires third-party software for elegant interfaces. I do not use cable or satellite.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

Lars
post #1277 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post

I have skimmed through these 1,200+ posts and I am still uncertain if the M6620NP will fill all of my multi-media needs. I think it does, but I would like a TViX owner to confirm that the M6620NP has the attributes below.

1. Has an elegant, intuitive and easy to use graphical interface for my family to play the files indicated below. I would like the interface to display album/DVD art and allow for easy sorting by name, artist, genre, etc.
-Play DVD *. VOB files from my local Network Attached Storage (NAS) (HP MediaSmart Server)

Yes to practically everything, except I'm not sure how the slideshow works. Music player is very basic, and the file sorting utility is still undeveloped. For a covert art interface, you have to use a third party program like TViXiE

Quote:

No on the streaming services. I suspect any media player with SMB/NFS will have a hard time in the future complying to the license agreement of those content provider.

Quote:
3. Allows me to watch, record, and playback OTA HD programming. I understand that a program schedule interface is not available for this no-fee device.

There is a minimal interface that lets you schedule by time, and it's faily simple to use. What it won't do is have guide info other than what the station broadcasts (none on cable), so all your recording information is sorted by time.

Quote:
I currently use a WD TV Live device for viewing movies and pictures and listening to music from my NAS. While it performs these tasks, the interface clunky and my family refuses to use it (I could work around these limitations if the WD TV Live used discrete IR codes for my Logitech Harmony Remote to access). I use a roku device for playing cloud-based content, but it often locks up . I would love to replace these devices.

You'll have to define clunky. Most of these boxes are similar in the way it accesses your shares, skip between storage devices, etc. I'm sure your Harmony can learn the remote codes, there is not discreet on/off codes available.

Quote:
I am also considering a Dune player to watch my NAS and cloud-based media, with either a TViX or Tivo device as an OTH tuner. I understand that Dune requires third-party software for elegant interfaces. I do not use cable or satellite.

With the exception of boxes like Boxee and the Tizzbird, I'm not aware of any device that can retrieve movie/music data on it's own. Most boxes require a third party app running on a PC to populate the art/synopsis.
post #1278 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM
DHF

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post

Sorry for not framing my question using the appropriate container/format/codec names.I just can't figure that stuff out. I know what a file extension is though!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

I love TVIX - for what it is. That being said-
The interface is intuitive. More utilitarian than elegant.
It will play everything.
SOL on Hulu, Netflix, etc.
Will record OTA programming. No season passes, and limited functionality as compared to a Directv DVR.

Had a WDTV Live myself. Regifted it to somebody else. Junk. Absolute junk. TVIX much better.

After having said all that, I am currently building an HTPC. My wife saw XBMC in action and absolutely swooned. TVIX may be relegated to guest rooms.
post #1279 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM

The slide show for photos works well. I haven't tired background music.

+1 on the XBMC. I don't have time right now, but that's in the future for me. It appears the only way to get what we all want - DVR, networked media playback AND internet channels.

Too bad DViCO can't get this figured out. Otherwise, the TVIX is a good device.
post #1280 of 2288 Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluvr View Post

+1 on the XBMC. I don't have time right now, but that's in the future for me. It appears the only way to get what we all want - DVR, networked media playback AND internet channels.

All these functions are limited by the underlying architectures. The chips are certainly changing quickly, unfortunately TV tuner integration may get lost in the next generations if there isn't enough market interest. I'm working to convince another manufacturer to bring a tuner product to market using Android, but there has to be a solution to the guide data acquisition that doesn't put near impossible barriers to small companies...but maybe that's intentional.
post #1281 of 2288 Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:

You left out archiveing - being able to copy recordings over to my laptop. This has always been a Tvix strongpoint.
post #1282 of 2288 Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

recording test:
Schedule created yesterday:
#1 7am to 7:30am M-F ch 71.4
#2 7:30am to 8am M-F ch 71.6
#3 7:30am to 8am M-F ch 28.8

REC List:
C28 30min created 08:00
C71 31min created 07:30

Folder contents:
C71 contains one file, content starting at 7:00am, create time 07:30am
C28 contains one file, content starting at 7:30am, create time 08:00am

Observation:
File titles are given the file name of the end of the recording, not the start.
#2 on schedule never recorded and no indication of why not. I was watching the front panel.
Channels were picked because they display the time continuously.

Any help?

Worked fine on 1-19. All I did was enable the time shift buffer.
post #1283 of 2288 Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

Yes to practically everything, except I'm not sure how the slideshow works. Music player is very basic, and the file sorting utility is still undeveloped. For a covert art interface, you have to use a third party program like TViXiE

No on the streaming services. I suspect any media player with SMB/NFS will have a hard time in the future complying to the license agreement of those content provider.

There is a minimal interface that lets you schedule by time, and it's faily simple to use. What it won't do is have guide info other than what the station broadcasts (none on cable), so all your recording information is sorted by time.

You'll have to define clunky. Most of these boxes are similar in the way it accesses your shares, skip between storage devices, etc. I'm sure your Harmony can learn the remote codes, there is not discreet on/off codes available.

With the exception of boxes like Boxee and the Tizzbird, I'm not aware of any device that can retrieve movie/music data on it's own. Most boxes require a third party app running on a PC to populate the art/synopsis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post

I love TVIX - for what it is. That being said-
The interface is intuitive. More utilitarian than elegant.
It will play everything.
SOL on Hulu, Netflix, etc.
Will record OTA programming. No season passes, and limited functionality as compared to a Directv DVR.

Had a WDTV Live myself. Regifted it to somebody else. Junk. Absolute junk. TVIX much better.

After having said all that, I am currently building an HTPC. My wife saw XBMC in action and absolutely swooned. TVIX may be relegated to guest rooms.

Quote:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It sounds like there isn't one single device that can do it all....except a HTPC. And I would imagine that a HTPC will come with all the expense and maintenance required of a regular PC.

Lars
post #1284 of 2288 Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM

I did the "unplug antenna-delete ION-plug antenna back in" thing last night and all my shut-offs seem to have gone away. Mine had gotten so bad it would even shutdown if you weren't using the tuners.

Does anyone know how to delete un-delete-able bookmarks? I have two or three left over from files long deleted, but I can't delete the resume bookmarks for the files.
post #1285 of 2288 Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

You left out archiveing - being able to copy recordings over to my laptop. This has always been a Tvix strongpoint.

Another feature (mentioned before I think) is the ability to record directly to a networked device. I have a 6TB media server and it would be awesome if I could direct the TViX to record directly to it.
post #1286 of 2288 Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

recording test:
Schedule created yesterday:
#1 7am to 7:30am M-F ch 71.4
#2 7:30am to 8am M-F ch 71.6
#3 7:30am to 8am M-F ch 28.8

REC List:
C28 30min created 08:00
C71 31min created 07:30

Folder contents:
C71 contains one file, content starting at 7:00am, create time 07:30am
C28 contains one file, content starting at 7:30am, create time 08:00am

Observation:
File titles are given the file name of the end of the recording, not the start.
#2 on schedule never recorded and no indication of why not. I was watching the front panel.
Channels were picked because they display the time continuously.

Any help?

Worked fine on 1-19. All I did was enable the time shift buffer.

Joe, I haven't tried many manual recordings (since I do have PSIP data to play with on both OTA and cable) but I wonder if the missing recording occurred because the start times of #2 and #3 were identical? Perhaps staggering the times by one minute would eliminate this problem?

It seems that the word "created" should read "modified" in the listing.
post #1287 of 2288 Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Joe, I haven't tried many manual recordings (since I do have PSIP data to play with on both OTA and cable) but I wonder if the missing recording occurred because the start times of #2 and #3 were identical? Perhaps staggering the times by one minute would eliminate this problem?

It seems that the word "created" should read "modified" in the listing.

Since I started with a blank schedule, no folders, and no data on the drive, I don't understand which word I should change. My goal was to simulate (at a more reasonable hour) the schedule of The Daily Show, Leno and Letterman. I have disabled the time shift buffer (only) and will test again tomorrow morning. I will see if start time needs to be staggered also, but not tomorrow.

It took two days, but I got it. The file display, showing the file close time & date, is showing when the file was last modified (closed). That makes sense now.
post #1288 of 2288 Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

All three recordings were performed this morning. I only know that because the files were visable with the USB port.

I turned the unit on about 9am to check, and it displayed "HELLO", then "WAIT", then turned off. No LED with resolution. This was repeated 3 times. I pulled the plug: no change. I was going ask about a factory reset, like hold down power while plugging in. I was hooked via HDMI to my TV and it never received any video. It might have shown 1080p, but I'm not sure.

But first I hooked up my laptop and turned the unit on. It displayed a static "USB" and I could see all the folders and files. I then erased all of them starting at PVR and below, powered off, and removed the USB line. I applied power and it went though the normal power up sequence without any problems. I lost all my recordings of course, but not the schedule.

So I'm doing a few very long HD recordings to be sure the disk drive is happy. So far so good. Since it is still connected through a Kill-A-Watt I'm sure it was off.
post #1289 of 2288 Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One of the most common calls I receive in support is when a recording schedule goes bad....probably from a missed recording that's still in the task, but that causes the TViX to not boot all the way. Sure way to check that is to pull the drive out and see if it will reboot.

There's one file you can delete (forgot the name but I believe it's a db file) in the PVR directory, I don't think it's necessary to delete the recorded files, should that ever happen again.
post #1290 of 2288 Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

One of the most common calls I receive in support is when a recording schedule goes bad....probably from a missed recording that's still in the task, but that causes the TViX to not boot all the way. Sure way to check that is to pull the drive out and see if it will reboot.

There's one file you can delete (forgot the name but I believe it's a db file) in the PVR directory, I don't think it's necessary to delete the recorded files, should that ever happen again.

Next time I will copy any important files to the PC before erasing.

Is there a way to disable the pretty graphics when starting so that the channel I was tuned to is shown? Like it was with the previous firmware? Most devices like a TV, DVR (or VCR) power up to the last channel, even if it was the channel used to record a program. I said most, not all.

I have to admit, this is the first time I have recorded a program and have it listed as the end time, not the start time. Is this because I have used manual recording?

Is there a special name for the today & tomorrow type of recording? I've never seen that before either.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page