2Likes

post #1351 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Maybe you could try a different block size? I left my smaller drive at 4k. Just guessing. Every channel?

I've tried a 720P channel and a 1080i. Same problem on both. They view fine, but recording falls to pieces.

My drive is 2 TB with a 4k block size.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I should try another drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintinbin View Post

I've tried a 720P channel and a 1080i. Same problem on both. They view fine, but recording falls to pieces.

My drive is 2 TB with a 4k block size.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I should try another drive

I am on gmail.com and will send you a .tp file made last night at 480i if you wish. It's just over 1GB. I had to move it to my Win7 laptop, then over to this XP machine. As with all .tp files, any attempt to open it will try to fix it first. I have not done that. I am around all night.
post #1353 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I am on gmail.com and will send you a .tp file made last night at 480i if you wish. It's just over 1GB. I had to move it to my Win7 laptop, then over to this XP machine. As with all .tp files, any attempt to open it will try to fix it first. I have not done that. I am around all night.

Further info: If the HDD is not plugged into the unit, the PVR will record TV and play back fine using 192 MB of some sort of on-board memory.

Further info: While the PVR is recording, the entire system slows to a snails pace. The menus and remote unit response is sluggish instead of snappy. When I terminate recording, everything returns to normal. This suggests some sort of bus contention to me.

UPDATE: Further info: while recording a 10 minute segment just now, after a few minutes, the recording "settles in" and all is recording fine. No skips, dropped frames, and the unit is no longer sluggish. But when I play it back, it drops out, is choppy, etc.etc. This is just Plain Weird!

BTW: is this unit running Windows under the hood? Is that why the need for NTFS?
post #1354 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, but I have NO problems playing files. Just recording Live DTV.

Further info: while the unit is recording, the entire system slows to a snails pace. The menus and remote unit response is sluggish instead of snappy. When I terminate recording, everything returns to normal. This suggests some sort of bus contention to me.

BTW: is this unit running Windows under the hood? Is that why the need for NTFS?

What did the recording of live TV that you are having trouble viewing? Are you saying all TV you view is bad? Then it is not a HDD problem. I'm sorry, I thought you could view OTA channels, just not record them.

My summary: you are watching a good signal. You hit the red button. Things go bad. Have you disabled chase play? If you don't use it, it will keep your directories cleaner. But you don't have 140 channels to surf. The favorites function has a lot of guesswork involved.

I'm sure it's a version of Linux. NTFS is there for the file size I guess. But I could be wrong.
post #1355 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:

What did the recording of live TV that you are having trouble viewing? Are you saying all TV you view is bad? Then it is not a HDD problem. I'm sorry, I thought you could view OTA channels, just not record them.

I can view OTA fine, 720P and 1080i. It is only when I record OTA that the problemi, i.e. PVR slow response, picture itself pixelates and drops frames.

Quote:

My summary: you are watching a good signal. You hit the red button. Things go bad. Have you disabled chase play? If you don't use it, it will keep your directories cleaner. But you don't have 140 channels to surf. The favorites function has a lot of guesswork involved.

What is chase play?
Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that I have missed, or accidentally enabled, that is causing the PVR to do way too much work when it is recording?!?!

BTW: in Settings > PCR the Auto TimeShift Start is Off. My intention: I do NOT want the PVR to continual record live OTA for timeshifting ... this is unnecessary wear on the HDD.
post #1356 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can view OTA fine, 720P and 1080i. It is only when I record OTA that the problemi, i.e. PVR slow response, picture itself pixelates and drops frames.

What is chase play?
Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that I have missed, or accidentally enabled, that is causing the PVR to do way too much work when it is recording?!?!

BTW: in Settings > PCR the Auto TimeShift Start is Off. My intention: I do NOT want the PVR to continual record live OTA for timeshifting ... this is unnecessary wear on the HDD.

Yes. chase play, auto recording and auto time shift are all the same. I am at a loss. When switching channels I see all signal bars green since my signal is strong. I find it strange a HDD can cause this problem, but it sure does look that way.
post #1357 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:

When switching channels I see all signal bars green since my signal is strong. I find it strange a HDD can cause this problem, but it sure does look that way.

When I switch channels, each comes in strong with 6 RED bars, increasing in size, like a staircase. To the left of the bars is an antenna symbol. in RED. Is that fine?

Yes this is a strange one.

BTW: the HDD was NTFS formatted on Mac OS X using Paragon's NTFS driver. I don't think this should be a problem, since the PVR can play back movies that are on the drive.

Next step: I will reformat the HDD using Windows 7.

Thanks for your attention so far. I will solve this somehow.
post #1358 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I switch channels, each comes in strong with 6 RED bars, increasing in size, like a staircase. To the left of the bars is an antenna symbol. in RED. Is that fine?

Yes this is a strange one.

BTW: the HDD was NTFS formatted on Mac OS X using Paragon's NTFS driver. I don't think this should be a problem, since the PVR can play back movies that are on the drive.

Thanks for your attention so far. I will solve this somehow.

Good luck. You're right: they are red. I have too much stuff. I used Win7 also since the USB ports are unstable on my old XP machine.
post #1359 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltPusher View Post

Hi,

In preparation for purchasing an M6620, I have read this whole thread. In addition, I borrowed an R2210 from a colleague at work. During the evaluation, it displayed a serious problem, one of the OTA channels locked up the unit causing it to reboot.
So, the question is, will the 6620 also shutdown on this station?
Is there anybody in the area who can confirm the behavior of an M6620 on this channel?
Based on my reading, I am pretty sure it is not an ION station.
I appreciate your help.

The station is WFSB-DT in Hartford, CT. RF channel 33, virtual 3.x. It is the local CBS affiliate.

Note, the R2210 is really all I would need, but apparently no longer available?
Note 2, the R2210 has the latest firmware.
Note 3, first post in this forum, hope I did this correctly.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Just an update on the channel drop out/reboot.

The R2210 also reboot when the same channel was tuned on a cable system. So it was not signal strength.

How can we determine if this will happen on the M6620?

Thanks,
Bob
post #1360 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

Preference in most DVRs are slow spin power saving hard drive. Speed is not a good thing as it means more heat.

What hard drive would you suggest? What would work in this unit? Size is not as important as reliability. Also if the HD needs to be formatted I have XP as my os. Thanks
post #1361 of 2288 Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Yikes! I did reformat the HDD using Windows 7 (NTFS/4k blocks)

The good news: the PVR now functions fine. It records 2 x channels simultaneously and let's me browse YouTube at the same time. Playback
is flawless.

The weird news: the HDD now fails the disk check! I have no idea why, but it has something to do with the Windows 7 idea of NTFS.

Conclusion: I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie for now and see how this flies. At worst I'll have to reformat the HDD again in the future.

Thanks for your responses.

Update:: After playing with the unit for a while, the PVR says the HDD now passes the disk check. We are getting into ghost in the machine territory here. Anyway, the unit recorded a couple of show overnight, flawlessly. Happy now
post #1362 of 2288 Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Sound out of sync

Some of the DTV channels deliver sound of synch, usually by a few hundred milliseconds. I think the PVR itself might be aggravating a condition that already plagues DTV.

Question: When I playback a recording on the PVR, is there a way to shift the soundtrack ahead or back to manually synch it with the video?
post #1363 of 2288 Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordey View Post

What hard drive would you suggest? What would work in this unit? Size is not as important as reliability. Also if the HD needs to be formatted I have XP as my os. Thanks

If you read my posts above, you will see which drive I chose (WD20EARS 2TB). I think it is important to go for lower revs (5400rpm) so the drive runs cool.

That said, the drive is now working fine.

It is important to format the drive as NTFS using Windows. I made the mistake of trying to format the drive using Mac OS X with an NTFS driver plug-in, and ran into all the recording probs you can see above.

For more reliability, consider a 1 TB instead of a 2 TB drive. Less dense disk writing makes for more reliable writes and reads.
post #1364 of 2288 Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Currently, there is one major problem with OTA, the ION problem. And this is not the first time that ION has done something that breaks the box. I had no idea until we encountered this, that anyone licensing public spectrum could broadcast for pay non-ATSC-compliant streams....unfortunately, the TViX is one of the few boxes that seems to be affected by their new methods so complaining to them or the FCC is probably not going to yield any results.

But for OTA, it's fairly reliable and easy to use, even with the quirks.

Kei,
The thing Ion is trying to do is a conditional access system for OTA broadcasters that was approved by the ATSC in July of 1999.
Generally it allows the OTA broadcasters to scramble their OTA channels, including the HD signal, and require the end users to get a box to decrypt the signal. The only signal that they can not scramble will be the main 480i digital channel.
Here is some links describing this.
http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_70-Part-1-2010.pdf
http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_70-Part-2-2011.pdf
http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php/st...shed-standards
http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php

I discussed this in this post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1094

As for cable, it won't be much longer until entire cable channel line ups are encrypted so any aftermarket box sold will need a cablecard slot to work. The analog shutdown for cable is february 17th 2012. Some systems have already done this like comcast.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1365 of 2288 Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thanks Jed1, I'll read up on it. Just doen't seem right.....we fought over broadcast flags in OTA streams just so that the stations could fully encrypt OTA signal for commercial use? And why can't they do this without field testing for compatibllity with existing hardware on the market?

I guess this is the best time to go ahead and lodge a complaint with FCC over the interference from this CA station.
post #1366 of 2288 Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Help!

When I turned the PVR on, up came the Language Selection screen. I thought that was odd but I selected English and continued.

The unit had been factory reset and had lost all programming information, channels, settings, everything. I set things up again.

I power it down.
Then I start it, and see this:

HELLO
WAIT
WAIT . . .

The last message above remains permanently and the unit never completes the boot-up and start procedures.

What next? What can I do to force a factory reset before power up?

Information: the unit is running the latest software and I get the same results (above) with and without the hard drive plugged in. I am at a loss to proceed any further.
post #1367 of 2288 Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It would be of interest to know just how much of ATSC's "A/70" standards for Conditional Access DTV broadcasting the FCC has actually signed up for. I'm not as pessimistic as Jed1 about the FCC's allowing all of our HDTV sets to become simple video monitors. (Note that just because ATSC is based in WDC, it's not part of the gummint, let alone part of the FCC)
post #1368 of 2288 Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Help!

When I turned the PVR on, up came the Language Selection screen....

From your previous posts regarding flaky behavior of the unit, I'm guessing that there's either a loose connection or some hardware defect inside. Check that the HDD still works when connected directly to a PC. Then make sure that the HDD connections are firm and not under stress with the HDD cover in place and try the Safe Upgrade mode procedure (again). If that fails, it's time to contact your dealer about an RMA swap.
post #1369 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

From your previous posts regarding flaky behavior of the unit

I do not recall any flakey behaviour of the PVR itself. The problem was the format of NTFS on the HDD. When Mac OS X formats it, it don't work. When Windows 7 formats it, it works fine. In either case, both Windows and the Mac can read & write the drive. This points to flakiness in the NTFS driver on the PVR, most likely the Linux NTFS driver.

Quote:
I'm guessing that there's either a loose connection or some hardware defect inside. Check that the HDD still works when connected directly to a PC. Then make sure that the HDD connections are firm and not under stress with the HDD cover in place and try the Safe Upgrade mode procedure (again). If that fails, it's time to contact your dealer about an RMA swap.

The problem I am now experiencing occurs with and without the hard drive plugged in. The PVR has reset itself (thus the request for a Language) and now cannot make it past WAIT .... (The HDD is fine)

Update: I unplugged the unit from the power for 12 hrs. Plugged it in this A.M. and the problem persists.
post #1370 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornanu View Post

If the PBO comes online first and gets the venus network name, then it goes to the PBO (so \ vix\\venus\\ resolves back to the PBO rather than the TVIX). This was not good. I guess turning both devices off and then on in the right order would be required. I added the IP of the TVIX under My Shortcuts and that worked fine without having to reboot anything but figuring out the address of the TVIX was basically guessing and not fun.

Sorry for this late reply dornamu... and sorry if this answer is redundant.

For your problem to determine the ip address of the PBO and tvix.
A simple solution is do a reservation on your router using the unique mac addresses of both devices.
That way, the PBO and TVIX will always have the same IP addresses.
post #1371 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem I am now experiencing occurs with and without the hard drive plugged in. The PVR has reset itself (thus the request for a Language) and now cannot make it past WAIT .... (The HDD is fine)

Update: I unplugged the unit from the power for 12 hrs. Plugged it in this A.M. and the problem persists.

If it has reset itself, you can go through the setup, and then the "wait" happens on reboot, correct?

If you have a flash drive, try doing the safe mode upgrade. If it does the same thing, then I suspect there maybe memory/storage poblems.
post #1372 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I do not recall any flakey behaviour of the PVR itself. The problem was the format of NTFS on the HDD. When Mac OS X formats it, it don't work. When Windows 7 formats it, it works fine. In either case, both Windows and the Mac can read & write the drive. This points to flakiness in the NTFS driver on the PVR, most likely the Linux NTFS driver.

I am not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I'm curious as to the logic you used to draw this conclusion.

Granted, NTFS is a rather crappy drive format for various reasons, but I wouldn't call it "flaky." It has been in public use since 1993.

I don't recall formatting the drive with a MAC as one of the supported ways to pre-format the drive. I suggest the MAC NTFS driver is at least as suspect as the linux one on the PVR. Linux has supported R/W and format of NTFS for 3 years that I know of. As far as I knew until I read your post, MAC's could only read NTFS, not format or write to it.

In any case, why not simply use the TViX to format the drive? That's what I did and I haven't had any drive issues at all.
post #1373 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:

If it has reset itself, you can go through the setup, and then the "wait" happens on reboot, correct?

The unit has reset itself. And now it does not complete the reboot process.
I cannot reboot it successfully. Rather, it sits in:

WAIT ...

forever. It never advances beyond that.
post #1374 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluvr View Post

I am not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I'm curious as to the logic you used to draw this conclusion.

Granted, NTFS is a rather crappy drive format for various reasons, but I wouldn't call it "flaky." It has been in public use since 1993.

Sorry, I will reiterate. The NTFS driver I am using is a read/write driver provided by Paragon Software, not by Apple. It may not be a flakey implementation of NTFS.

But. The PVR does not like it!

The Paragon NTFS formatting is obviously different from the Windows NTFS formatting, since the former does not work correctly on the PVR whereas the latter does. There must be some subtle differences between the two.

That said, both the Mac and Windows can read/write the drive, whether it is formatted by Paragon(Mac) or by Windows 7. Weird, huh? I can only put it down to "sensitivities" in the NTFS file system driver on the PVR itself.

Quote:

I don't recall formatting the drive with a MAC as one of the supported ways to pre-format the drive. I suggest the MAC NTFS driver is at least as suspect as the linux one on the PVR. Linux has supported R/W and format of NTFS for 3 years that I know of. As far as I knew until I read your post, MAC's could only read NTFS, not format or write to it.

You are correct about Apple's NTFS driver. It provides read-only support. No format. No write. That is why I am using Paragon's NTFS driver instead. It reads, writes and formats NTFS. I hope that is clear.

Quote:

In any case, why not simply use the TViX to format the drive? That's what I did and I haven't had any drive issues at all.

How do I force the PVR to format an HDD?

The PVR User's Guide says the unit will detect an unformatted drive and auto-format it.

Since the drive is already formatted, I have no way to "unformat" it. So I reformatted it with Mac's HFS file system and stuck it back in the PVR. The PVR did not recognise the Mac file system, of course. But neither did it offer to format the drive.

Does the TViX provide a command to format the drive? Where is such command?

BTW: This is all rather academic since I cannot even reboot the PVR. It sits in WAIT ... forever.

cheers,
rick
post #1375 of 2288 Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 13
Here are the instructions for doing a "Safe Mode" upgrade

http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/faq/defaul...rial=38&id=379

If this does not work you should contact your retailer for return/repair.
post #1376 of 2288 Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi, H. That's what I (and Kei) said. Maybe the 3rd time it'll get through.

rick: After you've done the S.M. upgrade, you can probably format the HDD on the TViX, after deleting all its partitions via your PC's Disk Management app. (Find that by typing "Computer Management" into the search box that pops up when you click on the Start menu) That may be overkill, since it takes quite a while (I'm told) to format large HDD on the TViX and I doubt that the HDD is the real problem anyway.
post #1377 of 2288 Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM

Liked: 12
Actually Rick, your MAC should be able to wipe the partition table off the drive. Believe it or not the underpinnings of OS/X are almost exactly like linux which is the mean reason for it's quickness and stability.

With the drive attached to your mac, open a terminal, become root, determine the correct identifier for the disk, and write zeros to the first 512 bytes using the "dd" command and you have a "new" disk. I'm not a regular mac user, but here's the commands:

su ###makes you root
diskutil list ###lists drives so you figure out which is the target drive
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN ###Unmount the disk so you can write to it. "N" is the disk number discovered in the above command.
dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/diskN bs=512 count=1 ###replaces the drive MBR with zeros.

WARNING: dd is a "dumb" utility. It does not do any safety or error checking. If you tell it to wipe the wrong drive, it will.

Back to the topic; I thought there was a format command in the menu, but maybe my memory is incorrect. Either way, the above steps will provide your TViX the chance to format the drive automagically. Sata drives are hotplugabble, so you can plug the drive in or out while the device is running.
post #1378 of 2288 Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've asked them to provide some additional units for sale but did not hear back...I'll ask again. Unfortunately, the bracket is somewhat proprietary....glad they moved to a screwless solution in the newer models.

It's been over a year since that post. My drive mount needs a screw. Any change in drive mounting bracket purchase?
post #1379 of 2288 Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.H View Post

Here are the instructions for doing a "Safe Mode" upgrade

http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/faq/defaul...rial=38&id=379

Thanks Mr H and others. I placed the firmware in the root of the HDD and the unit fired up, upgraded the firmware and all is well.

As well, my recorded programs are still intact, which is a blessing.

I wonder if there is a way to save all the Settings to the HDD in case this happens again?!
post #1380 of 2288 Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

After you've done the S.M. upgrade, you can probably format the HDD on the TViX, after deleting all its partitions via your PC's Disk Management app.

Nah. As you posit, the HDD is not the problem. The flash(?) memory on the unit was corrupted somehow.

Interestingly, the HDD formats in about 5 seconds on Windows 7. I wonder why it takes so long on the TViX.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page