2Likes

post #1441 of 2288 Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Regarding the CCExtractor option, since raw HDTV dumps are so large, it would take a significant amount of time to transfer files from the TViX to a PC so that the subtitle data could be extracted. The only way around this that I can think of is if the TViX was connected via NFS to a computer, CCExtractor might be able to see the .tp file as though it was on a local disk, and then it could parse the file, extract the captions, and place the SRT directly on the TViX HDD without having to download the entire show from the TViX first.

If such a method would work, somebody might be able to create a CCExtractor automation program or script that would check the TViX PVR directory every X hours for new files and automatically dump the subtitles without requiring any user interaction. That would be almost as good as having native CC support, but I imagine there are other limitations that would prevent it from working, not to mention that somebody would need to create such an automation program first. It's an idea, at least. Since CCExtractor is already designed to be called from scripts, it might work in some form.

I have an old Win XP laptop connected to the TViX via my home network. I just map the TViX drive and run CCExtractor. No other devices needed. CCextractor can see the TViX drive where the shows are. It does not have to move the file to the laptop. Using all CCExtractor defaults, I just drop the file name into it and go. It then makes the srt file in the same folder as the show. Very easy. Now the only thing left to do is to automate the process.

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2288 Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Disto,

I'm glad you confirmed that CCExtractor can operate on the TP files over the network without having to transfer the files to the PC first. How long does it take for CCExtractor to finish a file? Is the process significantly slower than when it operates on a local file? Also, are you using SMB or the TViX NetShare/NFS program for the sharing?

Automating the process could probably be done with a shell script or batch file, since CCExtractor is a command-line utility. I assume the basic process would be to recursively check for TP files on the TViX HDD, read in their names, and then check to see if there was a SRT file with the same name. If so, skip to the next file; if not, process the file.
post #1443 of 2288 Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM

It took an old Sempron 800mhz 1gig ram XP laptop connected via a 100 megabit lan just under 20 minutes to do a 1 hour show. The file was 7gig in size. Just using simple file sharing mapped drive on the laptop and TViX. Using a faster computer should decrease the time until the lan and/or harddrive saturate in data transfer speed.

-Tony
post #1444 of 2288 Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluvr View Post

... I would select Live TV, pick a channel (I did this several times) picking a different channel each time, and in about 30 seconds or less the box would shut off. This was different from the Ion TV issue in that the guide was populating correctly and everything seemed normal. ...

Frustrating behavior....

I got mine M5520N for about 3 months, it works most of the things I want to do. Yesterday I noticed the same behavior you mentioned above: it shuts itself down while I was watching a recorded program. I turned the box back on, and it shuts down repeated. This morning I tried it again and it seems to be fine now. Anyone has found the reason for this?
post #1445 of 2288 Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM

DST is here ... but PVR does not grab correct time

Is it just me?

DST has kicked in, and the only piece of electronic gear here that did not spring ahead
one hour was the PVR. Why? Dunno.

So, I set the PVR to Manual Time and fixed the time up. Then I set the PVR to "Time from TV",
using channel CITV which has the correct DST time. The PVR did not pick up the correct time,
and actually insisted in going back one hour.

Then, I set the PVR to "Time from Network". No dice. It would not recognise the correct
DST time, and insisted going back one hour.

What gives?
post #1446 of 2288 Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM

No more firmware upgrades?

I have read talk on this forum of late that there may be no more firmware
upgrades.

What gives? I bought this unit two months ago! From dealer, new, no less.
Not used. And I expected the get firmware upgrades into the foreseeable future.

Any word on this?
post #1447 of 2288 Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM

accessing venus twice simultaneously

On Computer 1, I am accessing the PVR's venus SMB mount just fine.

Then on Computer 2, I try the same, but receive the error message "Access denied."

My question: is the venus SMB mount configured to allow only one access at a time? If so, why?
post #1448 of 2288 Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

@ wintinbin

Regarding DST, I assume you restarted the TViX after you changed it to get the time over the network, right? I noticed that changing DST to "on" had no effect on mine immediately, but after turning the unit off, it had the correct time the next day when I turned it on again. I'm guessing the TViX checks the time server at boot time. Since your post didn't explicitly mention it, I'll also note that you do have to change the DST option by hand; the TViX cannot adjust for DST automatically when you're using PSIP or network time.

Regarding firmware, DVICo never made any promises about updating the firmware, so we can't have any expectations regarding something they never said they would do. The 2.1.0 firmware is far more stable and has far more features than the original one, so the TViX has already come very far since its initial release. Seeing as the Xroid is going to supercede the TViX once a model comes out with DTV tuners, it wouldn't be surprising if the TViX didn't get any more firmware updates.

There have been no official announcements regarding the support status of the unit from DVICo, so we don't know what's going to happen. What we have to ask is, "What would a new firmware accomplish?" There isn't much to be done at this point, except to do things that DVICo has already stated won't happen, like adding CC support. Fixing the ION bug would be nice, but nobody's been able to make logs that would help them solve the problem, to my knowledge.

Regarding SMB, you're ahead of me. I tried typing the \\\\x.x.x.x IP address of my TViX into the Windows Explorer URL bar, and I got an error. I'm guessing the TViX can't do SMB without NetBIOS support, and since I have it disabled on my computer for security reasons, I probably won't be able to get files from the TViX without using FTP or USB. Oh well. If there's another way to see the TViX HDD contents over the network, I'd be interested to know what it is. From the documentation, it seems that the TViX doesn't have a NFS or UPnP server to go with its SMB one.

Anyway, it's already been established that the TViX only supports 1 FTP connection, so it likely has the same limitation for SMB. Earlier speculation in this topic surmised it might be due to hardware limitations, although it could be due to a sub-optimal design decision, too.
post #1449 of 2288 Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintinbin View Post

DST is here ... but PVR does not grab correct timeDST has kicked in, and the only piece of electronic gear here that did not spring ahead one hour was the PVR. Why? Dunno.

Rick, as Aleron pointed out, the TViX does not have an Auto setting for DST. You must manually toggle the DST flag setting between On and Off when Daylight Savings Time starts and stops. This is all the more confusing because it does not then immediately change its time display unless you reboot the box.

BTW, how did your experiments with recurring recordings turn out? I don't recall seeing a post about that....
post #1450 of 2288 Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 AM

I have a universal remote and I am trying to do an auto scan in order to find a working code. Does anyone know what kind of class or category of device I should start with. Should I scan as a TV or a PVR or a something else?

-Tony
post #1451 of 2288 Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tony, save yourself effort and grief by getting a Harmony remote to integrate your HT setup. The Harmony database already has the TViX codes and you can select it by name. Plus, setting up and using a Harmony is much easier than the more primitive types. You can probably find a Harmony on sale for not much more than those others too.
post #1452 of 2288 Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a good learning remote. I just wanted to save a bit of time. Personally, I am a 'Lots of buttons' on my remote type of guy. I do not like the 'Activity' type of remote like the Harmony. None of the Harmony remotes have enough buttons for me.

-Tony
post #1453 of 2288 Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshane View Post

I got mine M5520N for about 3 months, it works most of the things I want to do. Yesterday I noticed the same behavior you mentioned above: it shuts itself down while I was watching a recorded program. I turned the box back on, and it shuts down repeated. This morning I tried it again and it seems to be fine now. Anyone has found the reason for this?

I've had mine for almost a year now and this just started as well. Mine is powering off within a couple of minutes of turning it on. Doesn't matter if it is watching live or recorded. I've even yanked the power for a minute and the behavior continues.

I should add that I'm running the latest firmware and haven't done any additional channel scans. AFAIK, the ION problem in fixed on the 6620N anyway right? I guess I'll see who my local ION is and remove those channels just in case.
post #1454 of 2288 Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekj View Post

AFAIK, the ION problem in fixed on the 6620N anyway right? I guess I'll see who my local ION is and remove those channels just in case.

There was a problem with ION channels around the same time the box was released, but that problem was fixed in a firmware update. A new problem has appeared since then, and it isn't fixed. If your ION affiliate is broadcasting the encrypted MPEG-4 AirBox channels, the TViX will crash and turn itself off when it attempts to read the PSIP information for your ION station when it populates the program guide. The only way to fix the problem is to delete ION and its subchannels from the channel list, so the TViX won't try to scan them anymore. If you can't manage to do that before the TViX crashes, unplug the antenna connection first.
post #1455 of 2288 Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:

There was a problem with ION channels around the same time the box was released, but that problem was fixed in a firmware update. A new problem has appeared since then, and it isn't fixed. If your ION affiliate is broadcasting the encrypted MPEG-4 AirBox channels, the TViX will crash and turn itself off when it attempts to read the PSIP information for your ION station when it populates the program guide. The only way to fix the problem is to delete ION and its subchannels from the channel list, so the TViX won't try to scan them anymore. If you can't manage to do that before the TViX crashes, unplug the antenna connection first.

Thanks for the confirmation. I did delete the ION channels and it seems to be OK now.
post #1456 of 2288 Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekj View Post

I've had mine for almost a year now and this just started as well. Mine is powering off within a couple of minutes of turning it on. Doesn't matter if it is watching live or recorded. I've even yanked the power for a minute and the behavior continues.

I should add that I'm running the latest firmware and haven't done any additional channel scans. AFAIK, the ION problem in fixed on the 6620N anyway right? I guess I'll see who my local ION is and remove those channels just in case.

My 6620N has been shutting down on it's own since I purchased it. The shut downs seem to be directly tied to the Tuner section of the device as that is the only time I have noticed it shut down on its own. Yesterday I was on WPVI and noticed the clock was off so I hit menu to go into setup and it shut down.

Since it is so unreliable in tuner mode I have only been using it as a movie steaming device and picked up a Moxi DVR from eBay to use as my tuner.
post #1457 of 2288 Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DK, your shut-down issue is very likely to be caused by a local ION affiliate's new-fangled subscription-service subchannels. Delete the ION channels (all of them) from the GoTo channel list and I bet that the shut downs will cease.
post #1458 of 2288 Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

If your cable channels had PSIP data they'd be sorted. Maybe you can get the cableco to do its job better?

I guess, since I get two ION channels, I should be glad the PSIP data is missing.
post #1459 of 2288 Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

DK, your shut-down issue is very likely to be caused by a local ION affiliate's new-fangled subscription-service subchannels. Delete the ION channels (all of them) from the GoTo channel list and I bet that the shut downs will cease.

Ok, I deleted 60.1 60.2 and 60.3 which are the local OTA Ion station and will test it a few days and report back.

Thanks for the tip,

Mark
post #1460 of 2288 Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 AM

I had the same problems with ION. I noticed that ION channel 30.1 (Los Angeles) was playing Knotting Hill in HD and wanted to record it on my PVR. While I was watching it for just a short time, I noticed some weird scan lines on my display and very soon, the PVR turned off. I deleted the channel and my problems stopped.

I put a new WD20EARX 2TB drive in the M6620N PVR and took out the old WD20EARS 2TB drive which was about 66% full. I put the WD20EARS in a Thermaltake BlacX Duet e-SATA docking station to download the .tp files to my computer, which has an e-SATA computer connection and is very fast. I had been downloading the files to my computer using a LAN but it only carried 6.3 MB/sec. A USB 2.0 docking station could carry about 24 MB/sec but the new e-SATA docking station starts at over 100 MB/sec and ends at 37 MB/sec. I'm using VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 to cut out commercials and sometimes convert to .m2ts H.264 (27 minutes for 40-43 minute program without commercials) to burn to an AVCHD DVD-R using Roxio. My LG BD530 and LG BD560 Blu-ray players will play native .tp format but the 2 Panasonics will only play AVCHD.
post #1461 of 2288 Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I guess, since I get two ION channels, I should be glad the PSIP data is missing.

Joe, it's actually not an issue for cable reception, since the cableco has no requirement and no interest in forwarding ION's subscription subchannels.
post #1462 of 2288 Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If someone has a PC-based TV tuner, I wonder if logging the signal of an ION station using AirBox and sending the log to DVICo would get them to release a new firmware with a fix for the problem. Since the TViX can't even check an AirBox-enabled ION station without crashing, there's no way for a TViX user to make a log to send in with a bug report.

Also, since CCExtractor is FOSS, I wonder if DVICo could integrate similar functionality to automatically extract CC to SRT files when you record something (or maybe even get the TViX to just read the CC itself...).
post #1463 of 2288 Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:

For me, I'm sure it's not related to ION channels. I have tried several popular network stations in San Francisco 7.1, 9.1; as long as it's in TV mode, or recording, the tvix shuts itself off in about 1 minute time frame. I can not figure out what triggered into this (after 2 and half months). Finally I tried to unplug the power cord for several minutes. Now this 'shutdown by itself' problem is gone. I think this will come back later, as I mentioned, not sure what event triggered this. In our area, I think there is only two channels are ION related, 62.x something and I never watch them.
post #1464 of 2288 Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

gshane--

It doesn't matter whether or not you ever watch the ION stations! If they're in the GoTo channel list and your ION affiliate is transmitting the MPEG-4 encrypted subscription subchannels, your TViX will crash when in HDTV mode. Delete the ION channels from the GoTo list and the crashing will then stop if it's caused by this issue.

However, in your prior post you said that the shut-downs occurred while watching a previously recorded show, so that makes it less likely that you were seeing the ION issue. (I'm not certain that it wasn't that, since I'm not sure whether or not the TViX performs background EIT updates in any mode other than viewing HDTV, but most people are reporting that they only see the problem when viewing HDTV)
post #1465 of 2288 Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

@ gshane

As TPeterson pointed out, you don't have to actually watch an ION channel to crash the TViX. Whenever you engage the tuners by entering HDTV mode, the second tuner starts scanning all the available channels in the background to populate the EPG with PSIP information from each station. Since it's the PSIP information from ION stations that causes the TViX to crash and not the actual ION programming itself, the TViX will shut down the moment the second tuner retrieves the PSIP information for your ION affiliate. The only way to stop the TViX from scanning an ION channel and crashing is to delete ION from your channel list completely.

@ TPeterson

Since the TViX only shows the "Wait..." message when you enter HDTV mode and cause it to engage the tuners, it seems relatively certain that the TViX doesn't do a channel scan to populate the EPG if you select the option to view recordings from the main menu when you turn the box on. I think gshane meant that his TViX crashes while watching TV or making a recording of a TV program, not that it crashes while he's watching a recording. If that's correct, it explains why the TViX shuts down, as both cases would mean that the tuners were engaged, and his crash happens in the same time frame that it would take the TViX to complete its PSIP channel sweep.
post #1466 of 2288 Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 AM

Just found this thread...

Quick question.

Does anyone know the actual recording bit rate in Mbps for the TVIX PVR M-6620N, and can it be MANUALLY set to a particular quality setting, based on the end users discretion? (or is it permanently FIXED?)

Couldn't find the answer to this question on the TVIX website anywhere.

TIA
post #1467 of 2288 Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D. View Post

Just found this thread...

Quick question.

Does anyone know the actual recording bit rate in Mbps for the TVIX PVR M-6620N, and can it be MANUALLY set to a particular quality setting, based on the end users discretion? (or is it permanently FIXED?)

Couldn't find the answer to this question on the TVIX website anywhere.

TIA

It's not fixed and you can't set it. Content determines the rate. OTA 1080i will be about 18Mbs. A 1 hour 1080i HD program will create a file of about 8Gb depending on commercials that might lower the number if they are SD or DD2.0, and some TV's can show you the realtime bit rate.

You can control the output. Page 20.

These are estimates based on 1080i cable doing a manual recording.
post #1468 of 2288 Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Although some DVR solutions will transcode the material you record to let you save space, the TViX saves the raw broadcast. The size of each recording completely depends on what settings the station is using. An hour of HD content can be as low as 4 GiB or as high as 8 GiB, as JoeKustra said. One episode I recorded last week was 4.9 GiB, and the next week's episode was 7.8 GiB. Apparently the station manager tweaked some settings over the weekend, or something. If your HDD gets full, the TViX will let you just switch it out for an empty one, or you can transfer files from the TViX HDD to an external one via USB or LAN.
post #1469 of 2288 Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

If someone has a PC-based TV tuner, I wonder if logging the signal of an ION station using AirBox and sending the log to DVICo would get them to ...

Yes, did that last December. Also offered to upload a sample, but they said they already had one. Me thinks they are dragging their feet on this one
post #1470 of 2288 Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.H View Post

Yes, did that last December. Also offered to upload a sample, but they said they already had one. Me thinks they are dragging their feet on this one

My last tries at bug reports in 1/2012:

Bug#1
All M-F
Schedule #1 7am - 8am channel 84.1 1080i
Schedule #2 8am - 9am channel 85.2 1080i
Schedule #3 8am - 9am channel 84.1 1080i
All clear QAM.
File names correct.
For #3, file created does not play.
Info button reports 00:00:00 - 00:59:59
Video Info: unknown
Audio Info: unknown
File Size: 6.1 GB
Counter on front panel does not move from 000000
Other two recordings are correct.
Solution?

Hello Joseph,
Sorry about all your inconveniences. We''ll check this issue again. We recommend you to fix this file with MPEG stream program.
thanks.

Bug#2
Have files named with their end time makes manual recording quite hard. It would be easier if they are saved by their start time.
This is Version 2.1.0 firmware.

Hello Joseph,
We''ll try to consider it in later.

thanks.

I gave up.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page