Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Can you temporarily relocate the TViX much closer to the AP (and turn on SSID broadcast) to make sure that the M6620 has enough signal that it should be finding the AP? If that fails, I'd RMA the unit (after making sure that it's one that's supposed to have the built-in WiFi).

If you're just using the TViX as a PVR and not playing or sharing files over your LAN, then what Aleron says is right, you don't need the LAN connection.

@TPeterson:  You and Aleron maybe right, if Wi-fi only gives me the ability to share files, which I am not looking to do, then I may just cut my losses and forget about wireless.  Everything else looks like it works OK.  

Thanks for the help with this, I'm glad I found this forum and the smart people who are on here!  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 419
The network connection lets you set the clock and share files, but that's about it. I think you can watch YouTube, but I've never been brave enough to try it, as I don't want some random YouTube coding change to crash the DVR.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 AM

Liked: 13
I think you're all missing out on its streaming audio possibilities! I use mine for streaming internet broadcasts from stations around the world. Many have high bit rate streams up to 320K, and the M6620 will play MP3 and AAC streams.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wireless is just a convinience option, you can do the same on wifi that you do on ethernet cable including streaming, the only diffrence is on wifi HD videos will have hickups. I'm hooking up mine on cable but I access it from my laptop in another room using wifi, I use it to store my media files, I also like to watch some content from my laptop when I go to bed on the night stand.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tognabalony View Post

I have been trying to figure out who to change the menu language on my 6620. I just received it in the mail from Korea and the setting to change the language is greyed out. I tried reseting the device by selecting "load default settings" but have had no luck. The manual says I should be prompted with a screen asking me to select a language after resetting but it just loads the menu screen (still showing in Korean).

I also tried updating the firmware to 1.9.6B7_Beta from the website but still have had no luck.

I am hoping there is some way to do a hard reset so that I can actually read the device in English rather than Korean

The instructions in the manual pertain to the official international edition of the TViX. You have purchased a Korean domestic market unit. These are intentionally limited to korean language to dissuade gray marketeers such as your vendor.

Having said that, I note that you can probably google to a hack, as is possible for older TViX models.

Sooo... quoting posts in this thread from 3-4 years ago... tongue.gif
Does anyone know if the more recent model sold in Korea is capable of being updated with English firmware? My searches don't come up with anything relevant in the last 3 years...

I'm probably off to Korea in the next month or so, and am thinking of picking one of these things up....

Do I have any chances?
I even tried googling for hacked/reverse-engineered firmware and came up empty...
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Doesn't Korea use different modulation standards? I doubt a Korean TViX would work with ATSC or clear QAM in the US....

Of course, if the tuners are "universal," loading US firmware might enable the correct modulation settings. Time for someone familiar with TViX internals to chime in.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

South Korea chose to use ATSC so that its companies could easily adjust their domestic products for the US market, and IIRC it is the only country in the region to do so.

That being said, why not just buy a normal NTSC-U unit? I don't think it's possible to load the English firmware on a Korean unit, as that person discovered. They are region protected to prevent that very action.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 AM

(Sorry, was away on vacation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

South Korea chose to use ATSC so that its companies could easily adjust their domestic products for the US market, and IIRC it is the only country in the region to do so.

Thanks, useful info!
Quote:
That being said, why not just buy a normal NTSC-U unit? I don't think it's possible to load the English firmware on a Korean unit, as that person discovered. They are region protected to prevent that very action.

Because there's only a few ebay "vendors" out there that offer the product with little/no support, and a 50% markup (this destroys WAF due to over-budget-for-tech-toys clause).

I'm also not from the US (Canada here), so ebay "vendors" seem to be a bit of a challenge (or more ridiculous amounts of markup).
(Can you recommend a trustworthy vendor to use?)

It was suggested several times in this thread (with no actual links) that googling could overcome the restrictions on the firmware, but I haven't found this to be the case.. either they were speculating, or my google-fu is not strong...
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I think most of us bought ours from Kei's Digital Connection. She isn't listing a price on the product page right now, which may be a bad sign:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/tvixM6620NP.asp

Her shipping page claims that she will handle international orders.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM

"Kei's Digital Connection quit listing"

Yes.. Got mine at http://mediaconceptusa.com/tvix.html 325 w/WIFI they ship worldwide.

Get one wherever you can, amazing unit wish they were still supporting it, a little quirky at times but best I've used.

WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB WD20EURX perfect for it $65 to $99 on the bay

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a most peculiar time with my TViX this morning. I tried to turn it off, so I pressed the power button on the remote. When I looked at the front panel, the TViX indicated it was booting, rather than shutting down. I turned on the TV to see what was going on, and I got the NTSC/PAL/language test screens, as though I was configuring the unit for the first time. When I got into the settings, it seemed to have forgotten most of them, so I can only conclude that my TViX randomly decided to do a factory reset all by itself.

I've subsequently done two manual resets to factory defaults on my own in the hope that it will clear out whatever cobwebs prompted this strange behaviour, and I've re-scanned my channels. I'll have to recreate my recording schedule as shows return next week, but I do still have all of my old recordings. I've never seen such a thing happen in two years of daily use, so I wonder if this is just an exceptionally rare bug or if I'm experiencing early signs of flash memory failure. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on things in the coming days...
Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I had a most peculiar time with my TViX this morning. I tried to turn it off, so I pressed the power button on the remote. When I looked at the front panel, the TViX indicated it was booting, rather than shutting down. I turned on the TV to see what was going on, and I got the NTSC/PAL/language test screens, as though I was configuring the unit for the first time. When I got into the settings, it seemed to have forgotten most of them, so I can only conclude that my TViX randomly decided to do a factory reset all by itself.

I've subsequently done two manual resets to factory defaults on my own in the hope that it will clear out whatever cobwebs prompted this strange behaviour, and I've re-scanned my channels. I'll have to recreate my recording schedule as shows return next week, but I do still have all of my old recordings. I've never seen such a thing happen in two years of daily use, so I wonder if this is just an exceptionally rare bug or if I'm experiencing early signs of flash memory failure. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on things in the coming days...

Was your TViX operating normally shortly before you tried to turn it off? Had you just turned the TV off? Is your TViX on a UPS?
Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The TV had been off for some time, but I had been using it to watch recordings some hours earlier. The TViX is not on a UPS, and there were no power interruptions at the time.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:09 PM

I have purchased and used two tvix M6620's in two different locations. The one I have used the longest has always gave me the a list of my most recent recording when I enter the "recording list" underneath the main menu. Recently it has begun to list only the last recording I have made not the entire list of recent recordings. I currently have a 2tb hard drive which is 23% free. Does the "record list" feature have a maximum number of files it will show or does something force it to reset to 0 files shown. I have looked through all the menus on the 6620 and searched for similar issues in this forum, but have been unsuccessful in finding a solution. If anyone else has experienced this, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Yes I have had similar issues, plus scheduled recording finishes-next recordind does not happen although 6620 stays active on last channel, last week recording went fine then 6620 elected to record 10hrs more. 6620 is an odd kitty, The unit seems to like a new hard drive periodically, I reformat mine on Linux computer then replace, worked so far........

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

How many recordings do you have stored? I would assume that there is a limit, but I delete my old recordings weekly to ensure that I never reach it. The most entries in the list I've ever had is probably < 50.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM

Liked: 13
There is a file in the PVR folder called RecordList.data which is a plain text file that contains the list of past recordings. You can open it with Notepad or a similar text editor.

Mine has 114 entries dating back to last October. You could open it and see what yours looks like. You could try renaming or deleting it and see what happens.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:22 PM

Currently I have 85 recordings stored and shown in list, when I reformat drive I first upload to computer storage, reformat drive ntfs insert drive power up, restore record schedule after manually setting time then power cycle.

Do you have multiple empty folders? When you go to list try pressing next button while on your single listed file. 6620 will not record when 50MB or less space is available so you are ok. have you set a folder password? Do you have GPT protective partion (windows)? Are you in File List Mode? Did you try auto play and check to see if list is complete? Have you tried reflashing firmware?

Maybe try:

Here is beta 2.02 http://www.mediafire.com/download/imtfjio1jzz/tvix_6600_2.0.2_B8.zip

here is beta 1.9.9 http://www.mediafire.com/download/mejujnmmkjy/tvix_6600_1.9.9_B3.zip

here is beta 1.9.4 - 1.9.1 http://hd6600.over-blog.fr/tag/Firmware%2066xx-S1/3

here is 2.1.0 http://www.tvix.co.kr/

Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks to those who answered about the record list issue. As in my unit started showing only the last program recorded for at least 3 weeks, but magically it has started working again all on its own. I truly appreciate knowing that these names are stored in the "recordlist.data" file name. Appreciate all those who helped.
Thanks again
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 PM

I've downloaded the 2.1.0 firmware directly from the manufacturer's website. I have 2.09.0 currently installed. So how do I install it from my computer? Obviously by connecting it with USB, or do you transfer the firmware file onto a memory card and put that into the DVR's slot? I don't want to end up with a non-functional unit.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the manual, you need to place the firmware file (*.fwp) on the root of the HDD. The manual says to do this by connecting the TViX to your PC via the included USB cable so that the TViX will boot in USB slave mode when you turn it on, but I doubt that's necessary; you should be able to place the firmware on the HDD using any copy method (e.g. FTPing into the TViX from your PC). Once the firmware file is on the drive root (along with the MOVIE, MUSIC, and PHOTO directories), select it with the remote to begin the firmware update. The TViX should reboot as soon as the update is complete, and then you should immediately delete the firmware file, so you don't accidentally try to upgrade the firmware again.

If something goes wrong during the upgrade, there is also a "safe mode" update you can use to apply a firmware update if the current firmware is corrupted, making the unit unbootable. The manual says to:
  1. Connect the TViX to your PC with the USB cable, then turn the TViX on to boot it in USB slave mode.
  2. The TViX will appear as an external HDD attached to your PC. Copy the firmware file (*.fwp) to the drive root of the TViX (next to the MOVIE, MUSIC, and PHOTO directories), then turn the TViX off and disconnect the USB cable.
  3. Hold the MENU button on the top of the TViX, then press the POWER button at the same time to turn it on in safe mode.
  4. The front panel should say "SEEK FW".
  5. Press the OK button on the remote to apply the firmware update, and the front panel should say UPG.
  6. The TViX should automatically reboot into the new firmware when the update is complete, thus restoring your ability to use the menus.

You shouldn't need to follow the above procedure unless something bad like a power failure occurs during a normal update and bricks the DVR, though. As long as it's working, use the menu to select the firmware file and perform the update normally.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 AM

Thanks very much, Aleron. I was able to install firmware 2.1 with this method. But I had to turn off the set and unhook the USB, before I could open the .fwp file. I had copied it to the Documents folder I have on the TViX HDD and when the computer was connected, it was unable to open it, not having a needed program. But the TViX knew what it was and quickly put it to work. I'm wondering whether even if I had a program to open an .fwp file, if the computer would be able to install it on the TViX in USB mode?

Is there a list of changes for this firmware? The TViX website is down to almost nothing except having the firmware upgrades.

I should add that in three years of use, I have had no problems with this DVR or the WD Green 2-TB HDD. After I first got it, I bought a more expensive WD Black 2-TB HDD and tried to use it. But it requires too much power and gives off a lot of heat and even with the TViX fan turned on high, it quickly overheated. So I put the Green HDD back, turned the fan down one notch and I can't detect any heat coming from it. There's a big difference in energy consumption and heat between the Green and the Black HDDs. I bought an enclosure with a fan to use the Black HDD as an external drive. The design and fan system in it must be very good, because there's no heat I can detect coming from it, even after a long video playback.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The only reason to use USB mode is to copy the file onto the HDD; the TViX has to install its own firmware updates. There may have been some discussion as to what the last firmware did, but it's probably buried pretty deeply in this topic by now. I use a 2.5" 500GB Hitachi HDD, so mine is nice and cool, too. I may need to open my unit to dust it soon, as the fan has recently become audible, when it used to be totally silent.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM

Questions About Card-Slots and Host-type USB Ports for Card-Readers

I've put memory cards in the card-slots on an M-6620N Duo and connected a card-reader to a host-type USB port. There seems to be no useful response to either and nothing appears on any of the categories or folders. The unit turns on when I insert a card and the blue connection light activates on the card-reader. Do any of these functions work on this DVR?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't know, since I've never tried to connect one. I do know that if you connect an ODD to one of the USB ports, the ODD icon at the top will illuminate. You then press the left arrow to open the "Device" menu, which will let you select whether you want to browse the HDD or one of the other connected devices. That menu has icons for both an ODD and an SD card, so I assume that's where you select the SD card to browse its contents. It's the one with the "M" on it. Everything but the HDD and UPnP icons will be greyed out by default, unless you have one of the other storage options connected.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 AM

Thanks, Aleron. I found that you have to go off the TV mode and go to the Menu and open one of the Photo or Movie or Music sections. Then press the left arrow to go to the top row and select a memory card in a slot or an external device connected to a USB-host port. If you change cards in a reader, you have to turn it back to the HDD, then unplug and re-plug it, to get it to work again. The TViX takes MS, SD and SDHC cards, but won't accept an SDXC card, (at least not a 64 GB one) even when it's in a reader that is supposed to support it.

This is something I didn't know I could do for the last three years. But now I'm wondering if there's some way to copy what's on a card or an external drive, to the HDD in the TViX, without doing it through a computer? I have an Argosy Media Player that allows you to copy such files from a USB device, without having a computer involved.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Press the Function button and select the file operation mode. I don't know if it will let you copy files from one device to another, but it does let you copy or move files on the HDD to other folders.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:40 AM

Big News: It is possible to copy onto a TViX HDD from an outside device, without the use of a computer.

Aleron, what you suggested has possibilities. After pushing a countless number of button combinations, somehow I accidentally was able to copy a short AVCHD video from a card in the TViX slot to a new folder on the HDD. There it is. It plays back, but I don't know if I can re-create the steps I took. I could not do the same thing for photos, in spite of working at it for some time. There is no mention whatsoever of any of this in the electronic manual. This manual doesn't even seem to be available any longer online. I'm glad I saved it previously. I will back it up on all my external drives.

Wouldn't it be great if someone could solve all the mysteries of copying onto the TViX from an external device without a computer and would describe each step exactly. Maybe that person will be me, if like the infinite amount of monkeys, typewriters, paper and time, I can duplicate the process.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I prefer using a computer and Ethernet, as it's less hassle for me than connecting a card to the PC, copying the file to the card, disconnecting the card, connecting the card to the TViX, and then trying to copy the file from the card to the TViX's HDD. It's much simpler to FTP into the TViX to send files (and it also gives you an easy way to save recordings to your PC, if you want to keep them). The networking functionality was one of the main reasons I bought this unit. USB DVRs may technically let you move files around, but it's much easier with Ethernet.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:

I prefer using a computer and Ethernet, as it's less hassle for me than connecting a card to the PC, copying the file to the card, disconnecting the card, connecting the card to the TViX, and then trying to copy the file from the card to the TViX's HDD. It's much simpler to FTP into the TViX to send files (and it also gives you an easy way to save recordings to your PC, if you want to keep them). The networking functionality was one of the main reasons I bought this unit. USB DVRs may technically let you move files around, but it's much easier with Ethernet.

No question that it's easier in USB mode from a computer or through a network by ethernet. But I would like to have an alternate way to unload my camera cards, if my computer isn't working. But even if I work out how to do this to the fullest, the TViX is already outdated as it won't work with SDXC cards in the slot or in a card reader. It's strange that no one is making new DVRs like this, as they say that the number of people getting their TV reception from broadcast antennas is increasing. Maybe the big money behind cable and satellite TV is pulling strings behind the scenes to force people to use their services.