Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2251 of 2288 Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The demand is shifting more towards internet streaming, people are moving away from traditional TV even the ones who still use the TV set for their main entertainment let alone the new generation that is hooked to smart phones and tablets using wifi, The only way that M6620 would have lasted longer is if they supported the internet part of it such as web browser capabilities and streaming apps, The only app that was working fine was youtube, they just killed it in the last firmware. Most manufacturers do make good internet media players nowadays but not with ATSC/QAM tuners as there is less demand for them, I myself still looking for one to replace my M6620N but I just can't find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2288 Old 05-13-2014, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

The demand is shifting more towards internet streaming, people are moving away from traditional TV even the ones who still use the TV set for their main entertainment let alone the new generation that is hooked to smart phones and tablets using wifi, The only way that M6620 would have lasted longer is if they supported the internet part of it such as web browser capabilities and streaming apps, The only app that was working fine was youtube, they just killed it in the last firmware. Most manufacturers do make good internet media players nowadays but not with ATSC/QAM tuners as there is less demand for them, I myself still looking for one to replace my M6620N but I just can't find one.

I'm hoping that my TViX will last a lot longer, but if it doesn't, I may have to resort to paying TiVo $15. a month and getting their box that provides ATSC tuning. For about $330., I could get the box, a 3-year extended warranty and a 1-TB external HDD, to go with the 500-GB internal HDD. You can also use it for Internet streaming over an ethernet cord from a broadband modem. It works with digital cable TV programs, which I wouldn't use. I read someplace on their website that they had a $130. yearly subscription, but when I tried to find that later, only the monthly and "lifetime" options were listed. I can't imagine anyone paying $500. for that latter plan, as it's for the "life" of the box, not for your lifetime.

Steve McDonald

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2253 of 2288 Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD View Post

I'm hoping that my TViX will last a lot longer, but if it doesn't, I may have to resort to paying TiVo $15. a month and getting their box that provides ATSC tuning. For about $330., I could get the box, a 3-year extended warranty and a 1-TB external HDD, to go with the 500-GB internal HDD. You can also use it for Internet streaming over an ethernet cord from a broadband modem. It works with digital cable TV programs, which I wouldn't use. I read someplace on their website that they had a $130. yearly subscription, but when I tried to find that later, only the monthly and "lifetime" options were listed. I can't imagine anyone paying $500. for that latter plan, as it's for the "life" of the box, not for your lifetime.

Regardless affordability I wouldn't pay tivo for just recording a show that is free in the air, I know a lot of people do but not me, You pay for the machine when you buy it that should cover all the features including recording, If tivo offers channels then it's a different story. People pay for anything in this country even if it takes living from paycheck to paycheck.
videobruce likes this.
post #2254 of 2288 Old 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The 6620 has a lot of features that make it unique. If you're just looking for a plain OTA DVR and don't care about those unique features, there are plenty to choose from, but - let's be blunt - most aren't very good. You can check out the non-PC options here.
post #2255 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintinbin View Post

Remote control duplicates last key stroke sometimes
This is a weird, but often occurring behaviour on the PVR. I will hit a button on the remote. The PCR responds correctly. Then I hit a different button on the remote. The PVR responds, but it responds to the previous button, as if has remembered the penultimate button hit on the remote and responds to that instead. Or perhaps it is the remote control itself doing this. This does not happen all the time, and is difficult to reproduce reliably. But is does happen often enough to sometimes be destructive, i.e. I have accidentally turned of a recording or shut down the unit in this way.
Old post, but have found the same problem. At least I know it's a 'quirk' and not this unit. The system acts on the last command, not what command you pressed for the next one or two button pushes.

The thread is too long, anyone found a solution?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2256 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I've yet to witness that particular bug.
post #2257 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It does it on a regular basis. I haven't programed a learning remote yet, nor have I tried it in another room.
Example, you are scanning one direction through the channels, decide to backtrack, but when you press the opposite key, the system continues in the same direction. The same goes for when you are in the UI. I can keep pressing the 'other' button and it may take three presses until the system realizes it's the wrong command and finally does respond as I wanted.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2258 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I should be glad that my configuration doesn't currently cause the bug, as it sounds pretty annoying. I only use the channel up and down buttons maybe once every four months, though, so perhaps that has something to do with it if those buttons are the ones that most frequently get stuck.
post #2259 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Old post, but have found the same problem. At least I know it's a 'quirk' and not this unit. The system acts on the last command, not what command you pressed for the next one or two button pushes.

The thread is too long, anyone found a solution?

Happens to me all the time. Makes the unit almost useless. Tried a learning remote, direct, extenders and still does the same thing.

-Tony
post #2260 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As with Aleron, I have not seen this problem. I suspect that it's caused by something in the immediate environment rather than being an outright hardware or software issue. For example, I had a problem with IR commands on an earlier-generation TViX device that turned out to be caused by interference from the backlight on an LCD TV. In that case I was able to solve it by positioning the TViX so that it was more shielded from seeing the TV's screen.

Another thing to try is to put some white masking tape over the IR sensor on the TViX. Add layers until it doesn't respond to the remote and then remove one.
post #2261 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I suspect that it's caused by something in the immediate environment rather than being an outright hardware or software issue.
I was thinking the same thing, but I kinda question that since why would any of that cause a reverse action (up instead of down, left instead of right). This isn't just the channel up/down, it's the four navigation keys and I believe the Enter/Play/pause button had a different reaction.

My other idea was reflections. I have a tower sitting on a table below the shelve the DVR is sitting on (temp situation). I'm aiming at a 45 degree angle. I temporary removed the tower and it appears it solved the problem. smile.gif

post #2262 of 2288 Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

How strange. My TViX is positioned on a wooden surface, so there isn't anything near the IR sensor that could reflect extra light.
post #2263 of 2288 Old 05-31-2014, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With digital signals and tuners, there are often fluctuations in how well some channels are being received. If you give a command to go to a channel that is temporarily not getting a signal as well as it requires, the command may not be followed. It may freeze on the previous channel or sometimes skip to one on the other side. Most of the problems described in these recent postings may be due to signal reception and tuning difficulties. The tuner and processor in this TViX DVR are not the swiftest or smartest that they could have been. Notice how long it takes the box to turn on and call up the first channel. Those little free-coupon digital-analog converters tune every channel solidly, all the time for me. Using the same antenna, they work much better than the tuner in this DVR.

I had a situation recently when the Menu button quit working and I had to use the Setup button to call up the Menu. Then, after doing this several times, it straightened itself back to normal operations. Several times over three years, I've had to disconnect all my digital cords, turn off the DVR, then turn it on without any connections. Then turn it off and plug the cords in again and turn it back on, before it would deliver a signal over HDMI.

The fault here may actually be with my TV, which could be occasionally sending incorrect signals back from its input. I need to have a manual HDMI selector switch to throw out the connection to the TV when it's turned off, as the DVR won't turn on and record in that situation. When you have several inter-connected digital devices working together, if one is malfunctioning or needs to have a different setting, that may have to be corrected before the others will work properly.

Steve McDonald

post #2264 of 2288 Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If you give a command to go to a channel that is temporarily not getting a signal as well as it requires, the command may not be followed. It may freeze on the previous channel or sometimes skip to one on the other side.
Yes. This has a problem tuning weak (on the cliff) stations. Most tuners have similar issues, which, I bet is do to;
Quote:
processor in this TViX DVR are not the swiftest or smartest that they could have been
which could be said about all of these DVR's.
Quote:
Notice how long it takes the box to turn on and call up the first channel.
But, at least it isn't a TiVo, even the current model. What, it takes 3 or 3 1/2 minutes to boot from a cold state?. I guess that is better than the 5 1/2 minutes for the series 3. Probably why it has to be running 24/7, no one would want to wait that long to use something. tongue.gif

post #2265 of 2288 Old 05-31-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has anyone had more than one "Autorun" folder in the root of the HDD for music and been able to autoplay one or the other with no user interaction? IOW's, use this as just a "jukebox" with no TV, just through a audio system? confused.gif

post #2266 of 2288 Old 05-31-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

When did you take the plunge, Bruce? I didn't know you joined the TViX club. biggrin.gif
post #2267 of 2288 Old 05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've had it for a month or so. I picked up one some time back, but the seller had no idea the tuners were bad, so it went back. $120 plus shipping with a 1 TB WD green drive. The downside, he lost/threw out the HDD bracket, shipped it with the drive installed with 2" packing tape holding the drive in (which didn't work. It broke the plastic 'door' in the process. It seems to work ok, I ran two programs to surface test the drive and both passed.

I got it for a audio player, though I was surprised that the Guide remembers listings from every station, unlike most others without rescanning each time you change channels. The remote leaves a lot to be desired though.

post #2268 of 2288 Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Questions;
1. Is there a file number or folder size limit per folder for media files, MP3 specifically?
2. What are the BT with the torrent entries and the IMS folder with the four empty sub folders for?

I didn't see any real conversation regarding either.

post #2269 of 2288 Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Older firmware versions allowed you to use torrents automatically by dropping a .torrent file onto the HDD; I don't know if the current one will let you do that. Old firmwares would also let you rip DVDs automatically if you connected a USB ODD, but the ripping and decryption functions were removed. I don't know of any limits in the number of files or folders you can have. As long as your HDD is formatted to NTFS, you shouldn't have any problem with large files, either.
post #2270 of 2288 Old 06-02-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found the problem regarding what I thought were missing entries, the way they show the count and the different ways the list is on the page between file types. Some have 11, other have 12 lines. The 1/xx, I originally thought the second number was the total file count, not the page count which would of made more sense.

Any guess on the mystery IMS folder?? confused.gif

post #2271 of 2288 Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Quote:
I suspect that it's caused by something in the immediate environment rather than being an outright hardware or software issue.
I was thinking the same thing, but I kinda question that since why would any of that cause a reverse action (up instead of down, left instead of right).
I can only speculate, but perhaps if the TViX gets a command from the remote that it can't decode (perhaps a garbled bit or something) it re-executes the last command it did decode, instead of just ignoring the garbled one. If so, environmental factors might cause more garbled commands, in which case this TViX quirk would show up.

It would be annoying in any case, but it would be a bit less so if it simply ignored garbled commands.
post #2272 of 2288 Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I buy that and yes, if it is true, those commands should be ignored.

post #2273 of 2288 Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD View Post

I purchased the 6620 30 months ago. It was the best unit I could find at the time, even with it's quirks. Recently it started to have the "ION" psip data problem with other channels. I took the unit apart to clean it and didn't get it back together correctly and fried the tuner daughter card. I'm keeping it as it still is a very good media player. However, I have found a far better DVR in the Channel Master 7500.

The CM7500 is optimized for the DVR function(Dish DVR linage), unlike the 6620, a very good media player with a "bolted on" DVR function. Compared to the CM7500, the 6620 is rather poor as a DVR, especially the user interface. My wife struggled with the 6620 but is trilled with the 7500. The only weakness I can see in the 7500 is no easy way to offload files for editing/storage (the file system is Unix based). However, using ext2fsd (allows unix usb drive to be read on PC) and media player lite (plays .ts files) I was able to verify that I could move a file recorded by the 7500 to my PC and archive it to my LAN server (to be played by the 6620).

What I'm now avoiding by not using the 6620 as a DVR:

psip crashes
interrupting watching a program to record another
poor timer conflict resolution procedure
8-24hr program quide (7500 is 2 weeks)
lack of name based recording ability
poor user interface (my wife loves the 7500 Dish derived UI)
post #2274 of 2288 Old 06-08-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The biggest problem is the remote. It's too small, the buttons are too small, so is the text, but mostly the doubling & tripling up on button functions.
As bad as the (so called) mighty TiVo. rolleyes.gif

post #2275 of 2288 Old 06-08-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

If anything, I would say the remote's biggest flaw is the exact opposite: it gives too many features a dedicated button, thus making the bottom of the remote cluttered. It isn't a problem for me, but I wouldn't call it ideal. I don't know of any other networks besides ION that can cause PSIP crashes, so I just removed ION, qubo, ION Life, and moved on. I like the minimalistic UI and don't care about guides, so those things don't bother me, either.

IMO the networking capabilities are far more useful than the features of the DVR+, especially when that unit isn't even capable of correctly playing back the recordings you make unless you buy some magical "CM Approved" HDD. Perhaps the latest firmware will fix it, but I'd never trade my TViX for a CM product.
post #2276 of 2288 Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FWIW, I believe that the ION PSIP issue has been "solved" by ION's giving up on Paid OTA broadcasting. I.e., those encrypted MPEG4 subchannels are gone (at least here in the Bay Area).
post #2277 of 2288 Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

If the AirBox service was discontinued, that ought to finally eliminate the crashing. I added ION again after Kei tried to get them to change their PSIP to not crash the TViX anymore, and while the crashing was greatly reduced by their "fix", it could still happen, so I removed ION again at the time. I'd consider adding it again now, but I still don't think they air anything I'd want to record... tongue.gif
post #2278 of 2288 Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post

The CM7500 is optimized for the DVR function(Dish DVR linage), unlike the 6620, a very good media player with a "bolted on" DVR function. Compared to the CM7500, the 6620 is rather poor as a DVR, especially the user interface. My wife struggled with the 6620 but is trilled with the 7500. The only weakness I can see in the 7500 is no easy way to offload files for editing/storage (the file system is Unix based). However, using ext2fsd (allows unix usb drive to be read on PC) and media player lite (plays .ts files) I was able to verify that I could move a file recorded by the 7500 to my PC and archive it to my LAN server (to be played by the 6620).
Can you tell us if channel master plays the vast majority of media files, does it have web applications such as youtube? Does it support clear QAM?
post #2279 of 2288 Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The DVR+ is ATSC only.
post #2280 of 2288 Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Playing music files (mp3's) when in the folder view. When the last entry on the page (#12) is finished, the system repeats that selection, it does not go on to the next page by itself. Is there a work around other than using that "Music window" mode??
It's odd that it repeats that vs at least stopping playback. confused.gif

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page