Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2341 of 2365 Old 12-21-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the >>| button will skip to the next file in the current folder if the current video has no chapter markers. If the current video does have chapter markers, the >>| button will skip to the next chapter within the current video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2365 Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 254
There isn't any problems skipping chapters.
The contents of the folders are in the antiquated DVD format (vob's). They aren't mp4's or .mkv's which is the apparent probelm.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2343 of 2365 Old 12-22-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why didn't you just play the original DVD ISO? You'll get full menus and working chapters that way. I think a folder of VOBs might also work, but I'm not sure.

post #2344 of 2365 Old 12-22-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Hard to say for sure what videobruce is dealing with, but I've ripped a lot of multi-episode DVDs that just had one giant .VOB containing all episodes. Of course, each episode typically contained multiple chapters, but the DVD menu had the pointers of where to start and stop playing each episode. I think they do it that way to make the "Play All" menu selection easier.

That's where software like MakeMKV comes in handy. It'll separate that giant .VOB into individual .MKV files for each episode.
post #2345 of 2365 Old 12-23-2016, 06:46 AM

I never made a DVD ISO, actually I never heard of even doing so. Out of habit, I have always used CloneDVD w/o the menus and all the other crap including the invasive FBI threats.

Any DVD I have ever had has vob files limited to 1GB by design from what I have read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD vob structure.png
Views:	21
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1849665  

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

Last edited by videobruce; 12-23-2016 at 06:51 AM.
post #2346 of 2365 Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Bruce, SW such as DVDfab will create the sort of ISO that Aleron is talking about with the menus, etc., but without the annoying warnings. The TViX plays those very well.
videobruce likes this.
post #2347 of 2365 Old 12-23-2016, 09:44 AM

I have DVDFab, but never used that. I assumed a single vob file would play in a older DVD player?

Sometimes I think it was easier dealing with video tape; rewinders, head clogs, tracking errors, wrong field edits, skew, time base errors, creased tape, etc.

Last edited by videobruce; 12-24-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
post #2348 of 2365 Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can also use DVD Decrypter to create an ISO of the DVD without the Macrovision and CSS, thus creating a 1:1 dump of the disc that the TViX can play. I never do that, though, since it's more convenient to just put the DVD in a DVD/Blu-ray player if I want to watch it.
post #2349 of 2365 Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 AM

Regarding DVDFab. I knew there was a vob option, but I didn't know it would create a separate file for each episode. Will a typical DVD player directly (especially a older model) play a single .vob file as it would with a 'normal' DVD, or would you have to treat it like you would a mp4??

I wouldn't go thru all of this for one or two DVDs, this was a series I liked, I thought it would be easier to copy it to a HDD and run them from this unit instead of fumbling around with optical discs.

Last edited by videobruce; 12-24-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
post #2350 of 2365 Old 12-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you use DVDFab or DVDecrypter to create an ISO image (not a .vob) of the disk it will play on the TViX using the same menus as you see when you put the disk into an actual DVD player (if you choose, it {i.e., the ISO creator} will leave out the dire FBI/other warnings). Then you can play individual episodes.
post #2351 of 2365 Old 12-24-2016, 12:34 PM

I would want to stick to something that would play in as many players (including conventional DVD) as possible with as little loss as possible. Which is why I usually only place two episodes on one DVD (I don't use two layer at all), sometimes three which I try to avoid.
It's too bad that other company (the one with it's head up it's a$$) doesn't allow easy HDD removal and file xfer like this does.

post #2352 of 2365 Old 12-25-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like what you want to do is rearrange the DVD into 1 (or 2) .VOBs per episode, rather than just however many 1GB .VOBs it takes to hold the entire content of the DVD. That way the identical content would play on both the TViX and on an actual DVD player, yet skipping to the next file would skip to the next episode (except, of course, in the case of 2-.VOB episodes) on the TViX.

That should be possible, but I haven't yet figured out how to author a DVD like that. I'm sure there's a way, but I'd probably opt for a hybrid approach instead:

• I'd use MakeMKV to convert each episode to .MKV format for the TViX. DVDFab or DVD Decrypter could also be used and would have additional output format options, such as .MPG, etc. All these are loss-less because they don't actually re-encode the A/V streams; they merely copy them into a new container format.
  • Then I'd author a new DVD with something like DVD Styler, which also has an option of copying the A/V streams rather than re-encoding them, again keeping the entire process loss-less. This would put it back to 1GB .VOBs like the original, but without the copy protection, FBI WARNINGS, and other typical DVD annoyances. Plus you could redo the DVD menu any way you wanted.

If desired, DVD Styler can re-encode the video if desired. This is lossy, but would let you put more episodes onto fewer DVDs, and the result should look fine as long as you don't compress the video too aggressively.
post #2353 of 2365 Old 12-26-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Sounds like what you want to do is rearrange the DVD into 1 (or 2) .VOBs per episode
No. One .vob per episode as long as a low tech DVD player would play them for compatibility reasons.
I do have older Oppo player that I rarely use (it's just for convenience in the same room as the computer), but the the other players are Yamaha BluRay (same model) that seem to play back almost anything via the menu. It would be nice if the player would treat .mp4 or .mkv files as a regular 'movie' disc instead of having to point to the file, but I guess that would be pushing things.

I won't even get into the BoobRay problem.

post #2354 of 2365 Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know some old (by today's standards) DVD players can play XviD AVI files, but truly old ones won't even do that. I've never heard of anybody trying to play VOB files directly from a DVD-R without menus.
post #2355 of 2365 Old 12-26-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only problem I could see with a strict one-.VOB-per-episode rule is that I think you'll find many TV series episodes are over 1GB long. If older DVD players have problems with that, you'd have to either sacrifice compatibility or split >1GB episodes up (which would be less convenient on the TViX, I realize).

Actually, going back to the original question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Is there any way to do a 'Title Skip' within a folder that has more than one DVD episode (other than just skipping all of the chapters in the current Title)?
I suppose you could just reauthor the DVD so that each episode was one chapter! That should actually be pretty easy with a program like DVD Styler. Then it would play on both an actual DVD player as well as the TViX.

It would wind up with the same general structure as the original DVD (a series of 1GB .VOBs, followed by a smaller .VOB); you'd just remove the stuff you don't want (copy protection, FBI warning, chapter markers, etc.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-26-2016 at 05:23 PM.
post #2356 of 2365 Old 05-11-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey everyone. I've moved to a location where OTA channels aren't an option. I have my working M6620N and it's manual and remote. It's up for grabs - offers accepted!
post #2357 of 2365 Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 AM

You have a PM!

post #2358 of 2365 Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 AM

vob files using LPCM for audio

.vob music videos using LPCM audio encoding won't play the audio portion. vob videos with DD audio are fine. Why vob was chosen is anyones guess as a container. Thye playback on a PC fine (naturally). This is using the HDMI out for audio.

Any ideas?

post #2359 of 2365 Old 06-01-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A better question is why you would use LPCM audio to begin with. Encode it as FLAC and remux the audio and video into MKV, and it should play fine. I don't know what, if any, containers the TViX will play LPCM in, except for WAV.
post #2360 of 2365 Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 PM

It wasn't me that recorded them that way.
These files were from "Novafiles.com" many apparently from Europe, including American music videos since they were in the PAL format at one point (576 vs 480).

I planned on converting them into either mkv or mp4 to reduce the size of the files anyway.
I did and it did solve the problem. I would say around 2/3 of these were in that LPCM audio format. The odd thing was, every once in a while a filw would play. If I stopped playback, then restarted it again it would not.

post #2361 of 2365 Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I encountered a new bug today, and it's the first bug I've seen in quite some time. When I try to do a disk check, it no longer completes after the usual ten seconds. It just says it's checking indefinitely, and I have to power off to escape. The HDD is still working, though. On the offchance it's not just a firmware bug, I suppose I should query the SMART status of the drive. Honestly I have to wonder what the disk check does, if anything, since ten seconds is hardly enough time to be running fsck.
post #2362 of 2365 Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 AM

Have you done a diagnostic of the drive in your PC?
Have you ever tried to defrag a HDD? I did once and it didn't work, the DVR couldn't read the drive.

Last edited by videobruce; 07-18-2017 at 05:39 AM.
post #2363 of 2365 Old 07-18-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I fixed it. I got the diagnostic USB cable out of the box and hooked it up to my laptop, and chkdsk discovered several corrupt attribute list entries, which it fixed. I then ran another pass of chkdsk, and it found free space marked as allocated, which it also fixed. The third run of chkdsk came back clean, so I rebooted the TViX in normal mode and tried the native disk check again, and this time it worked.

I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you run the disk check on a regular basis, and if it doesn't complete successfully, check the drive in a PC. I guess the disk check either isn't using a full copy of fsck, or fsck is only able to confirm that an NTFS drive has no errors and isn't able to fix anything if the drive isn't clean. I've made a habit of purging old files and running a disk check on a weekly basis, and this is the first time in five years of use that anything has gone wrong, and it wasn't wrong for more than a day at most. It's possible that continuing to make new recordings could cause data loss if you allow the TViX to continue operating with a bad filesystem, I suppose.

I wasn't able to check the SMART status of the drive, as you can't get SMART data over USB, and it would be a pain to remove the HDD from the DVR, open my desktop, connect it, check it, and then transplant it back into the DVR again. That will have to wait until another time.

*edit*

It seems that smartmontools is able to query at least some USB drives. It might be worth a test.

Last edited by Aleron Ives; 07-18-2017 at 04:42 PM.
post #2364 of 2365 Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Have you ever defragged at TViX HDD?

post #2365 of 2365 Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I almost never defragment any HDD. Severe fragmentation only happens if you run your HDD at close to full capacity, and I try to keep my DVR below 50% full, which reduces the likelihood of fragmentation occurring in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page