AVS Forum banner

Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic

351K views 2K replies 167 participants last post by  dornanu 
#1 ·
As the firmware for TViX M6620N matures, please post your comments/feedback and troubleshooting questions here.

The TViX M6620N is an ATSC/QAM dual tuner and network media player.

Adding SATA hard disk enables a DVR function with scheduling capability and use of guide service provided by broadcasters. The hardware includes WiFi-N, 10/100 Ethernet, USB, and card reader. The M6620N outputs HDMI and Composite video, HDMI, Toslink, S/PDIF, and Stereo audio.

The M6620N combines dual ATSC/QAM tuner that allows you to record two channels while watching previously recorded or ripped file.

As a network media player, the functions are extensive, with 24Hz (23.978) support, as well as HD Audio from Blu-Ray files. TViX uses SMB or NFS allowing you to play almost all file types including BluRay ISO, DVD, H.264, .TS, and .flv across the network, internal HDD, or USB devices. TViX is supported by TViXiE for custom UI for movie info and cover art:

TViX functions can be controlled by your PC or smart phone (iPhone or Android) with WebRemote browser.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got mine today (thanks Kei!). I'll be setting it up tonight (with a Samsung 1.5 TB drive) and adding my comments. Quick question: Do the M6600N and the M6620N use the same firmware? I know the M6600N got some new beta firmware in the past few days that fixed the "YouTube lockup" issue (although apparently YouTube still isn't working) among other things. I wanted to update my firmware to the latest, but I'm not sure if the units use the same firmware.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahagge /forum/post/17522478

Do the M6600N and the M6620N use the same firmware?

Yes, they use the same firmware.

I haven't tried YouTube with the latest version I have, I thought I read in the fix log that has not been fixed yet.

Everything else has been pretty stable, and the next firmware update, I'm told, will be based on a new SDK which will resolve some of the problems we've found.

#7 ·
aH Dr Peterson; One of the AVS greats who guided me, (as a reader only), into the fabulous MyHD. Is VGA out from a PC also analog? I neglected to mention that I have the old Audio Authority converter from 15 pin to Component, and of course the VGA to 15 pin dongle. Is there a (cheaper) cable solution for me for HDMI to VGA/15pin... or do I get to
ha ha balance a nice $3k 50 inch new HDMI HDTV solution compared to one of those $150 converter boxes on that link? I like the nice dark background on my vintage 32 inch full screen Samsung CRT and we only have a 10 foot viewing distance ...and it is paid for ! r

#9 ·
Randy, Kei's suggestion is right on the mark. You'll also need a simple (cheap) HDMI to DVI cable to make this 3-piece conversion work, but it should work perfectly well for your CRT display.

BTW, I don't know where you'd find a 50-inch TV set that costs as much as $3k these days.
Most of the popular brands of LCD and plasma in that size range seem to be about 1/3 of that now.

#10 ·
Thanks for the excellent support. Unbelievable what work it takes to sell an excellent $500 dual tuner box !!

hmmm 50 inch for a $1K vs $150; but maybe I'd leap frog to the very best which could range $2200 or so.

The m-6600 does not have DVI out.

Wow check this out: Would this work?
http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=1443

Alternately for $149 will this work: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-rgb.html ??

Well at least I did buy the HTPC get up from Dig Conn for $3K three years ago!

r

#11 ·
Since you have the transcoder to go from VGA to YPbPr, you could use either of the two solutions that you linked. I have no experience with them, however, so I can't guarantee that either would work with your specific hw.

"Converting" from HDMI to DVI is simply a matter of using a cable with the appropriate connectors.

In contrasting "$150 v $1k" you're ignoring the enhanced experience of the bigger display--far from an apples-to-apples deal.

EDIT: Oops. Kei's right, that DisplayPort dingus won't do you any good--I mistook it for another HDMI synonym, but Wikipedia set me straight after Kei's post below:

Quote:
DisplayPort is a competitor to the HDMI connector (with HDCP copy-protection), the de facto standard digital connection for high-definition consumer electronics devices.

#12 ·
#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER1 /forum/post/17538357

I just purchase the 6620 is there any way I can record my direct tv satellite shows on to here?

No. If you have DirecTV, you need to get their HR2x DVR.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/17538367

No. If you have DirecTV, you need to get their HR2x DVR.

To be clear, the M6620N records what it tunes. Currently, that would be OTA ATSC and unencrypted QAM from cable.

I personally use the R5000 to record from satellite and watch the recorded movies/files through the TVIX.

#19 ·
Now that I've had the weekend to play with my new toy, I have a couple of questions for those that have owned the box longer than me. These questions/comments/observations are based on the latest firmware (1.9.1B5) and being connected to a 27" NTSC monitor.
  1. On my box, using the IDS Weather option reboots the box. Specifically, I can select a city and a display will come up for about 1 second that covers only the upper-left quadrant of the screen, and then the box reboots. Can anyone confirm this behavior? I'd like to log a bug report, but I want to make sure it's not just me (I tried a couple of cities...Los Angeles definitely does it).
  2. I can't get NFS working to my NAS box (a Buffalo Linkstation Live v2). It's configured for NFSv4, but I've tried reconfiguring for NFSv3. No joy. I have (wireless-N) network connectivity...I can FTP from the Linkstation to the TViX, but NFS just doesn't show any volumes. Can anyone else confirm that NFS works with other than DVICO's own Windows-based software?
  3. I've also tried configuring MediaTomb (a UPnP server) on the Linkstation and attempted to access it from the TViX that way, without success. I've been successful connecting to a UPnP-enabled XBMC installation on my laptop, but that's it. Can anyone else confirm whether the M66x0N machines can connect with uPnP servers other than XBMC?
  4. Is there any way to increase the size of the font for the OSD? Most menus are so small as to be unreadable on an NTSC display. Might be great for HD, but not NTSC. I know the font size on closed caption is adjustable, but I'm talking about in the setup menus.
  5. Is there a way to get rid of the big red dot that appears on screen when one of the tuners is recording? Ideally, I'd like to see a red LED notification on the front panel, but nothing on the display.

Thus far I've been pretty favorably impressed with the unit. It works well for the main reason I bought it (to replace a VHS VCR for OTA recording of my wife's favorite shows). But it's really making me lust after a full HD screen...

Thanks in advance...

#20 ·
ahagge--

I just confirmed that the IMS weather for L.A. also crashes here. The whole IMS submenu appears to be a work in progress.

I haven't played with NFS or UPnP servers myself.

There's evidently no way to change the menu font or turn off the "red meatball". I suggest that you submit these two items as feature requests on the TViX MyQ&A Forum.

#21 ·
I just got my m-6620n in today. Do you guys get sdtv channels on yours? Also are any of you having a serious problem with the audio missing from the tv channels most of the time. The same hdtv channel will have no audio until I change the channel back and forth repeatedly across a span of 5 or more channels, and even then it doesn't always work. I am using cable for my input. I tried upgrading to 9.1 and i did notice dramatic performance increase in changing channels (less freezes) but still no sdtv or audio on hd channels most of the time.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottn /forum/post/17548374

I just got my m-6620n in today. Do you guys get sdtv channels on yours? Also are any of you having a serious problem with the audio missing from the tv channels most of the time. The same hdtv channel will have no audio until I change the channel back and forth repeatedly across a span of 5 or more channels, and even then it doesn't always work. I am using cable for my input. I tried upgrading to 9.1 and i did notice dramatic performance increase in changing channels (less freezes) but still no sdtv or audio on hd channels most of the time.

Which audio out are you using? I don't use cable so can't comment on the SD channels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.