Does your Japanese JVC HM-DH30000 record from DST51 ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-23-2002, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I got my Japanese JVC 30k a while ago, I was positive that it could record from my DST51. I only tested it once since I have the Panny combo as my HT's HD source, the JVC went to the bedroom to feed the Sony XBR.

Recently, someone told me that he can not make his JCV to record from the DST50 at all. I was not convinced until I sent my HD1000 out for cleaning and had a need to record a movie from DISH then I discovered my JVC failed to record from DST51. The "work-around" that I used before no longer work. Is there ANYONE out there having this problem?

On positive note, there is another work-around but required both DST51 & HD1000 connected to the JVC and you can make simultaneous recording to HD1000 and JVC 30k from DST51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-23-2002, 02:25 AM

Interesting. I also have a DST-51 and Japanese 30000. This combination is a little touchy but I can always get it to record. I would suggest that you first turn both units on with them connected together with the i-Link cable, using the front or back i-Link connector on the 30000. It does not matter which one you use. Be carefull in plugging in the i-Link cable--it is easy to break one of the pins on this connector. Use the remote or the front panel button to set the input to i-Link. You must see something like I-1 or I-2, depending on how the 51 is set up. If you do not see I-n displayed you know you have a connection problem. If all is well up to this point, I suggest putting in a D-VHS tape or a good quality S-VHS tape with an additional hole drilled in the bottom of the tape (the hole is really not necessary but will force the 30000 into the D-VHS record mode). The next thing to do is manually set the tape speed to HS. The 30000 will default to Auto when a D-VHS tape is inserted, but for high def recordings you will want it to be in High Speed (HS) mode. I find it best to use the DST-51 remote to control the 30000. Watch the video from the 51 and press the "menu" key on the 51 and then rotate the "wheel" seen on the screen with the "up-down" arrows until D-VHS is centered. Press the "action" key to select D-VHS. Press the "arrow" keys to cycle through the controls. It is very important to high light the "STOP" button on the screen. If the DST-51 cycles off and on, you know that the communications between the two units are out of sync and you will need to power off both units and start again. The 30000 will not record until you can high light the "STOP" key with no resulting action. Sometimes removing and reinserting the tape will help but only after the 51 has been turned off.) Once you get to this stage, high lighting the "REC" and pressing the "action" key on the remote should start recording. You can confirm this by looking in the upper right hand corner of the screen and seeing RECORDING displayed there. Sometimes it will briefly display PAUSE before displaying RECORDING. You can verify that the 30000 is actually recording by switching the TV input to the 30000 component output. You will see a picture only if the 30000 is making a successfull recording.

I always record a short 10-20 second segment from CBS on the dish network before recording the piece I really want. The short CBS segment forces the 30000 to output a true high definition image. If you do not first play back this CBS segment, the 30000 will produce a low level "ghost" to the right of the true image.

Hope this information helps.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-23-2002, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

This is why the 169time dtc100 is so great. Works everytime with all the JVC Worldwide decks. I have used them all first hand!!

dave
post #4 of 9 Old 02-23-2002, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Orio,

I know what you are talking about. The problem I and some other members found is the DST5x suddenly does not recognize the JVC anymore. The message "DVHS not present" always appears on the screen while the JVC shows I1 in my case the DST51. I know it is not connector problem, because the JVC still can record from from HD1000 and HD1000 can record from DST51.

I wonder if this only happens to me and the other owner of JVC deck.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2002, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Dont know if it is a connector. Richard has watched the commands go back and forth between the jvc and dst5x and is actually surprised they work as well as they do since he says the code is hit or miss.

dave
post #6 of 9 Old 02-23-2002, 05:48 PM

I have also seen the "NOT PRESENT" message on the screen. When this happens, I remove the tape and put it back in. This action sends a signal from the JVC to the DST-51 so that the DST-51 recognizes that the JVC is there. This process almost always works.

Hope this info helps with your problem. If not, try a few things like fast forward the tape and then rewind it. I have also seen this work.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-24-2002, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

After so many try, I was able to get "DVHS Stopped" message one but that was enough to convince my JVC can work (record) with DST51 without special commands. I also found that power on/off either machine does not generate any traffic on the bus. As long as power cord is not unplugged, the iLink circuit is powered and retained whatever handshake established previously. Thanks Orio and h2ofun for your helps
post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2002, 10:29 AM

I do not have any unreasonable amount of trouble in recording from the DST-51. Hence, I wonder, since when I had my DST-51 repaired by Panasonice and they updated the firmware, if there might be a difference between the original firmware and the upgraded firmware which could effect the interactivity between the 51 and the 30000. Do you know if your DST-51 firmware has been updated?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-25-2002, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Orio
I do not have any unreasonable amount of trouble in recording from the DST-51. Hence, I wonder, since when I had my DST-51 repaired by Panasonice and they updated the firmware, if there might be a difference between the original firmware and the upgraded firmware which could effect the interactivity between the 51 and the 30000. Do you know if your DST-51 firmware has been updated?
My DST51 has never been serviced and its firmware is still the same when it was shipped two years ago.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page