HDTV DVR Comparison - Consumer Owned Units - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 100 Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At least 6th. There could be newer, but I've never specifically heard any specs to that effect.

The CM7000's tuner is better than both the LG and Sony's. The Sony's is 4th gen., and I *think* the 3410A's is, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
No, I don't have the PAL version of the CM7000, just the straight CM-7000 SD DTA $40 coupon STB.

That has been out for a couple of yeas so I would guess it might be 5th generation?

I like how you say any 6th would beat out any 5th and is probably true for any 5th beating out any 4th I would think.

That would be most reassuring.

Actually, found this amazing link to ATSC tuner specs: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...AWKODkiHwNoM8A
post #93 of 100 Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well, push has come to shove and I have to buy a OTA DVR.

Although I have heard a lot about "any" tuner generation n being better than "any" generation n-1, I have to recall the discussion of the OTA DTA DTV Coupon Boxes: Yes the CM-7000 and the DTT-901 were at the top, but there were many with really crappy tuners.

I'm hoping that anyone making a HD OTA DVR would have a good tuner in it.

My guess is that these products should evolve and not be a passing fad like the SD Coupon Boxes. That being the case, the cheapest OTA DVR would definitely keep me satisfied for a good while - until even better/bigger units are made and sell for even less money. The thought of a HD TIVO lifetime also is interesting. The advantage of TIVO to me is the popularity of "modding" them for nefarious (haha) purposes.
post #94 of 100 Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Liked: 10
My CM-7400 ran hot. I recently sent it back to Channel Master because it ran very hot and had other issues. They said there were firmware up dates to correct some issues. The TVIX HD M-6620N Plus might be a better choice for OTA tv. Thanks
post #95 of 100 Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

No, I don't have the PAL version of the CM7000, just the straight CM-7000 SD DTA $40 coupon STB.

That has been out for a couple of yeas so I would guess it might be 5th generation?

Nope, 6th.

Quote:

Actually, found this amazing link to ATSC tuner specs: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...AWKODkiHwNoM8A

That's holl_ands, an AVS member.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #96 of 100 Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 282
This could use an update. If anyone would like to tackle, PM me.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #97 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Moderator: You might contact videobruce. Not sure he follows this thread, but he started the ePVision PHD-VRX thread and might be willing to add that DVR to the comparison chart.
post #98 of 100 Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Dr Don and I discussed this. I could add that ePVision DVR, but most of what is in this list is outdated ans would have to be redone

For kicks and giggles, I counted the number of entries in his list. My count came to 218.. That would make it near impossible to fill all of them in.
How the OP ever did it is beyond me.

The entire format would have to be changed with a more simplified set of categories.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #99 of 100 Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I had also contemplated trying to put together a more up-to-date version, but I eventually gave up on the idea. As well as requiring extensive research to cover the features of the currently available options, putting together a new table is a formatting nightmare. The easiest way to do it is theoretically to compile a spreadsheet, export it as a series of HTML tables, and then try to convert the HTML into BB code, but since this forum software uses non-standard tags, most of the automatic converters won't work. Perhaps a moderator could make a permissions exception and let whoever creates a replacement topic post the table in HTML (assuming the software is capable of such an allowance), since that would reduce the formatting headaches to some degree. Even so, just updating all the information is quite an undertaking by itself.
videobruce likes this.
post #100 of 100 Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Which is why I didn't even attempt to add anything. Again, I have no idea how the OP even did any of this. 200+ entries is way too many. eek.gif
Even 50 might be too many to deal with.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page