Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

DVRs require signals to be within a certain range for the DVR to function properly. Click on the SARA link in my signature for more information on how to determine if the signal is in the proper range.

Also, there is a hard reboot (holding the power button in until the display shows reboot after unplugging the DVR) that corrects more problems than a reboot without holding the power button in. This is discussed in the same post.

Yes, I've seen that post on the SARA software. I forgot about it when I was going through this with the first RNG200. But what do you mean the signals need to be within a certain range? Are you talking about the RF cable signal coming in to the tuner? Or the signal coming over the eSATA cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does the RNG200 improve on the 8300 limit of 2 concurrent recordings? Or is that more a software limitation?
post #33 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
I am talking about the cable signals coming in to the tuner through the cable company wire. The specific signals are the Current Forward Data Channel (FDC), the Reverse Data Channel (RDC) and Current QAM. There is a Signal Levels section in the post I referenced that explains more about the signals. Also, the post has a Diagnostics section that explains how to get to the diagnostics page. If the signal is not within the correct range, it is usually displayed in color. Guide data is downloaded using the FDC and RDC. The video and audio use the Current QAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPython View Post

Yes, I've seen that post on the SARA software. I forgot about it when I was going through this with the first RNG200. But what do you mean the signals need to be within a certain range? Are you talking about the RF cable signal coming in to the tuner? Or the signal coming over the eSATA cable?

Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcrouch View Post

does the RNG200 improve on the 8300 limit of 2 concurrent recordings?

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcrouch View Post

Or is that more a software limitation?

I don't think it is a software limitation.

Links:

post #35 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Right, it's a tuner limitation. The unit has 2 tuners, so can do 2 recordings.

And gotcha on the FDC/RDC thing for the guide data (or any data for that matter). Good stuff.
post #36 of 54 Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi all,
I used to have the comcast hd8300HD, now I have the rng200.
With the 8300 I had the wii connected to the front panel with the yellow,red and white plugs. All I had to do was turn on the wii and press the tv/vcr button on the comcast remote and the wii worked fine. the picture came on the hdtv and the sound came through my onkyo amp.

Where do I plug the wii in on the rng 200? I tried the inputs on the back of the 200, but when I press the tv/vcr I get no sound or video from the wii.

What I'm I doing wrong?
thank you
Happy Easter.

tom
post #37 of 54 Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 AM

Not near my box at the moment
But On the back there should be a "Video 1" >red/white/yello
Then you may have to use "menu" to change output
Push menu once and look, if not there push menu twice

Why are we here, because we're here, Roll the Bones
post #38 of 54 Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Hey there, fellow Rush fan. So many good Rush lines, too little time. An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. We will pay the price; but we will not count the cost

I looked on the back of my RNG, and there was no Video 1 input (nor the front, of course). The remote has that Input-TV/VCR button, but nothing happens with it. I couldn't find anything in the menu to control anything of the sort either. Looks like they removed that feature.

My suggestion: Plug the Wii into the Onkyo directly, if it does video switching. I think your only other option is to plug the video into the TV directly, and the audio to the Onkyo as you were doing.
post #39 of 54 Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home2stay View Post

Not near my box at the moment
But On the back there should be a "Video 1" >red/white/yello
Then you may have to use "menu" to change output
Push menu once and look, if not there push menu twice

thank you, I'll try that.

tom
post #40 of 54 Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Hey there, fellow Rush fan. So many good Rush lines, too little time. An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. We will pay the price; but we will not count the cost

I looked on the back of my RNG, and there was no Video 1 input (nor the front, of course). The remote has that Input-TV/VCR button, but nothing happens with it. I couldn't find anything in the menu to control anything of the sort either. Looks like they removed that feature.

My suggestion: Plug the Wii into the Onkyo directly, if it does video switching. I think your only other option is to plug the video into the TV directly, and the audio to the Onkyo as you were doing.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
Been to 7

Your correct, my bad
The video on the back is output
There is an video archive though> backup to VCR feature from My DVR?
"Set outlet" in Menu is for AC
Sorry. memory shot, as I said, been to 7 + 40 others

INPUT> Looks like a lost feature
May have to due as Python suggested

post #41 of 54 Old 04-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
Been to 7

Your correct, my bad
The video on the back is output
There is an video archive though> backup to VCR feature from My DVR?
"Set outlet" in Menu is for AC
Sorry. memory shot, as I said, been to 7 + 40 others

INPUT> Looks like a lost feature
May have to due as Python suggested

thanks guy. I just plugged the wii into the panny and turned the vol up on the tv and turned the onkyo off. Picture is great sound is ok.
tom
happy easter.
post #42 of 54 Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the same situation. I plugged the Wii into the TV and then ran audio from the TV audio out to my receiver. Sound is a little better and I don't have to mess with changing volume on TV or turning the TV speakers on and off. Just have to change inputs on my receiver using the remote.
post #43 of 54 Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM

@Home2stay
Quote:

"
Been to 7
as I said, been to 7 + 40 others

I have been to 9 over 8 tours (twice on Hold Your Fire). I've seen every show since Power Windows (that was 1986!), except Counterparts, where I had tickets, but had a death in the family.

I don't know my total concert count, but it is somewhere upwards of 35-40 as well. We are not even close to a serious concert goer as compared to Deadheads & Phish heads. Then again, it's not a competition .

And to get this on-topic. Ever since I changed out my RNG to one manufactured in Jan., (post-recall date) it has operated perfectly with an eSATA drive. Granted, I only have maybe 1 month on this DVR. So there may not be enough data to be certain. But so far, this is by far my best experience with a Comcast DVR/eSATA combination. I've had so many problems (at least 3 other combinations, each with unique problems). Maybe my fault for not using a WD My DVR Expander.
post #44 of 54 Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 PM

"And the Meek shall inherit the Earth" and ending with "We have assumed control"
Set 1, track T-e-en-n-n-n-nnnn->
Best piece of musician-ship with "new technology" out there

Diddo on the quality of the RNG200
I have been running two of them for more than 2 months with no glitches, drop outs, or pixlelation etc
My only displeasure, is how it updates @ 2:40AM and 4+AM when the drive fires up, because one is in the bedroom

post #45 of 54 Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Man, I had something happen to me the other day that is making me question the RNG's reliability (or it's full compatibility and usage of eSATA). I had a program set up to record on Tues. It says it recorded. I go to play it, and I get the splash screen. It's unplayable. All my other recordings work. It looked like it was recording at the time too. Just strange.
post #46 of 54 Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man, I had something happen to me the other day that is making me question the RNG's reliability (or it's full compatibility and usage of eSATA). I had a program set up to record on Tues. It says it recorded. I go to play it, and I get the splash screen. It's unplayable. All my other recordings work. It looked like it was recording at the time too. Just strange.

I have had the same problem with the 8300HD. I think it is a problem with the software. Sometimes if you reboot and play another recording, and then play the problem recording it will work.

Links:

post #47 of 54 Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 AM

Russ,
On the 8300
Has there ever been a way to control when the box gets updates, like in diagnostics

Is it the STB that is requesting the update/guide info or is it the headend automatically sending the info?

The RNG200 has a power saving feature [not sure if the 8300 does], where after about 2 mins the hard drive shuts down. [saves about 5 watts].
I seem to have a dedicated time of 2:39AM for 10 mins, then again a little after 3AM/1-2 mins then again around 4-5am 1-2 mins

When the drive spins back up and off, it is noticable in the bedroom and sometimes will wake. Be nice to change time to 6am ish if possible.

post #48 of 54 Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Russ,
On the 8300
Has there ever been a way to control when the box gets updates, like in diagnostics

I don't know of any way.

Quote:

Is it the STB that is requesting the update/guide info or is it the headend automatically sending the info?

I don't know.

Quote:

The RNG200 has a power saving feature [not sure if the 8300 does], where after about 2 mins the hard drive shuts down. [saves about 5 watts].
I seem to have a dedicated time of 2:39AM for 10 mins, then again a little after 3AM/1-2 mins then again around 4-5am 1-2 mins

When the drive spins back up and off, it is noticable in the bedroom and sometimes will wake. Be nice to change time to 6am ish if possible.

The 8300 also has a power saving feature. I don't know of any way for the user to change this. I think the cable company can select whether to use this feature. You can try posting your questions in the thread based on the software used on your DVR [SARA, Passport or Navigator (Nav)]. Click the appropriate link in my signature.

Links:

post #49 of 54 Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

I am talking about the cable signals coming in to the tuner through the cable company wire. The specific signals are the Current Forward Data Channel (FDC), the Reverse Data Channel (RDC) and Current QAM. There is a Signal Levels section in the post I referenced that explains more about the signals. Also, the post has a Diagnostics section that explains how to get to the diagnostics page. If the signal is not within the correct range, it is usually displayed in color. Guide data is downloaded using the FDC and RDC. The video and audio use the Current QAM.

I finally had the Comcast guy out to take a look at the FDC (the one responsible for the guide data and information about each show). We traced the problem back to an amplifier that was installed as a band-aid years ago to solve my HD drop out problem. My house is wired in a loop (room-to-room), instead of from one distribution point (whatever that is called). I had solved part of the problem by removing the splitters earlier in the path in rooms I wasn't using the cable. Removing the 15dB amp from the path improved the FDC & RDC as far as actual level and stability (it was jumping all over the place). I guess I never tried removing the amp before after I had removed a couple of splitters. I am now getting guide data reliably (so far, it's only been a few days).

What's interesting is I also have an SA-8300HD in the same location as the RNG200, and it never had this problem (it has other problems). It is just less sensitive to the amplifier as far as the FDC goes.

Just thought some others might be interested.
post #50 of 54 Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 AM

I just switched to comcast for the triple play savings. I was given the Cisco RNG200. I am a bit annoyed so far with this. Although seems like a great box the software lacks unreal.
So here is my problem. I create a new recording and tell it to record all episodes and set it to First runs only. Now how do i see this record schedule to set priorities or delete them. I can only see recordings that have a active program set to record in the next week. I tried to access the myDVR thing on the web however it just says it is not able to log me in even though I am using the same username and password as I use to login to the comcast site.
I live in the Pittsburgh area (West Mifflin) and I am pretty sure that comes out of the Bethel Park office. I am in a former Adelphia area.
post #51 of 54 Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosneck View Post

I just switched to comcast for the triple play savings. I was given the Cisco RNG200. I am a bit annoyed so far with this. Although seems like a great box the software lacks unreal.
So here is my problem. I create a new recording and tell it to record all episodes and set it to First runs only. Now how do i see this record schedule to set priorities or delete them. I can only see recordings that have a active program set to record in the next week. I tried to access the myDVR thing on the web however it just says it is not able to log me in even though I am using the same username and password as I use to login to the comcast site.
I live in the Pittsburgh area (West Mifflin) and I am pretty sure that comes out of the Bethel Park office. I am in a former Adelphia area.

There are several different types of operating systems used with the Cisco RNG200. The first thing you need to do is determine what operating system is being used (SARA, Passport or Navigator). It will be either SARA or Passport since Navigator is only used by Time Warner. Click on the SARA link in my signature to go to the first post in the SARA thread. This post shows how to determine what operating system is being used. If it is SARA, there is no way to set priorities for what will be recorded. If there is a 3-way conflict, one of the programs will not be recorded. This is one of the worst deficiencies with SARA. To prevent this, you can review the Scheduled Recordings page on a regular basis and make sure there are no 3-way conflicts and all programs that you want recorded are scheduled to be recorded. I reboot my DVR on a regular basis to keep the Scheduled Recordings page so it is easy to see what will actually be recorded. SARA will only warn you if there is a 3-way conflict when you are setting up a recording.

Links:

post #52 of 54 Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 AM

I've had the 8300HD for years, and it works OK, but I just upgraded my AV receiver to a Pioneer VSX-920, which has HDMI 1.4.

My laptop and a BD player work fine via HDMI, but I can't get a picture to pass thru from the 8300HD. I REALLY want to run just one HDMI cable to the TV.

COMCAST tells me I can swap for a RNG200, and I'm hoping it will work with the Pioneer.

Has anyone else had HDMI issues with either 8300HD or RNG200?

Thanks,
post #53 of 54 Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A neighbor asked me for help after he had recently upgraded his cable box from SA HD (Non-DVR) to a Cisco HD (with DVR). He is on Comcast in Houston area. TV- Sony KDL50-XBR2 LCD, AVR - Denon 4306CI, Comcast DVR - Cisco RNG200. Everything works for 6-8 minutes, then picture drops out - sound through receiver OK. If I power DVR on and off, no change. Switch inputs or go to Standby on Denon, then back on and back to Cable input - no change. If I switch input on TV to Ant, then back to HDMI - I get a message on the TV from the Cisco DVR indicating that the TV is not HDCP compliant, and a picture of the DVR back panel stating that I should not use HDMI, use component instead. I have never seen this on maybe 30 -40 different installations with the SA 8300HD. I also have 2 of the SA 8300's at my house and have never seen this on my similar vintage Sony TV (not an XBR LCD, but from about the same mfg. year.

Anyone seen this?

John Dixon
post #54 of 54 Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM

RNG200 has worked flawless for me in the Houston Comcast market after getting the latest signal refresh which fixed my IR problems. The faster hardware allows for very fast "guide" and "channel" changes. I also added an Antec eSATA enclosure with a 750GB Western Digital hard drive which gives me about ~100 hours of HD recording space. Component and HDMI output to my Samsung LCD looks the same so I decided to stick with the HDMI cable to have one single cable for digital audio/video.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page