Replacing Fios DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I have a Fios Multiroom DVR, and want to replace it with something with more space and better connectivity. Streaming to other rooms only works about 1/2 the time, because it freezes during the streaming and can't reconnect to the box for a while. I've been through about 6 boxes, and 8 DVRs because they keep on breaking.

I was looking at getting TiVo's, but I would have to get 3 TiVo HD's and 3 monthly subscriptions. That would cost way too much with the monthly fee.

The other option would be to get a Moxi with the 2 companion boxes. This is also expensive, but since it doesn't have a monthly fee, then it would almost make sense.

I have also seen this solution-

"Like I said in my setup, if you have 1 S3 or TivoHD, have a PC that can run TivoDesktop or Galleon, run VideoRedo or just DirectShowDump to turn .tivo files to mpeg files, and can run a media server like Tversity, and a XBox360 or PS3 that can stream from the media server, then you can distribute shows from the Tivo.

You have some delays since the shows have to finish record on the Tivo, then transfered. you can tell TivoDesktop to automate the transfer. There might even be script that can automate the DirectShowDump process, but I haven't looked. At the least you can probably schedule a batch command to do this on a regular basis. So with a little work this whole process is almost 100% automated.

TivoDesktopPlus and VideoRedo (highly recommended) will cost you a little up front cost, but Galleon, DSDump, Tversity are all free software that work very well. The only mandatory cost in this whole setup is the S3/TivoHD, which is just about the only way one can get (encrypted) digital cable HD content that you can distribute. MCE will only get you the in the clear QAM channels. If you want SciFiHD for example you need the S3. unless if you go with the $1000-1500 PC with cable cards, do those actually work?"

I know that the 3rd solution wouldn't be as smooth as a Moxi, but it would be a lot cheaper as I already have an HP MediaSmart Server LX195.

Are there any other solutions like the Moxi that would do the same thing but cheaper?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suggest you wait to see what, if anything, is announced at CES in three weeks. That way, you won't be disappointed if you spend a lot of money now, only to learn about something better/cheaper in a few weeks. At CES, we should learn about most products coming in the first half of 2010.

Of the available standalone DVRs, Moxi has the best multi-room implementation with extenders. Those extenders will soon have the ability to access tuners on the main DVR, so you'll be able to view both liveTV and recordings from any room [with an extender]. Moxi does not allow you to view or transfer recordings with anything except other Moxis and extenders, so that rules out other viewing options.

Do you have a PS3 or Xbox360 in every room where you want to watch recorded TV? If you have an Xbox360 in every room, then a Windows7 CableCard setup would be an option to seriously consider, especially once the Ceton MOCUR tuner ships.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Do you have a PS3 or Xbox360 in every room where you want to watch recorded TV? If you have an Xbox360 in every room, then a Windows7 CableCard setup would be an option to seriously consider, especially once the Ceton MOCUR tuner ships.

Thanks for the advice.
I have a Xbox 360 in 2 of the 3 rooms, so buying another one wouldn't be a problem, but then i would have to teach my parents how use it (which would be a nightmare)

I will just wait until CES and hope that something cheaper comes along, and if not, i'll get the Moxi.

Thanks again
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page