MPAA's Valenti pushes for copy-control PCs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2002, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(related to this forum topic of recording, etc)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/24208.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2002, 09:47 AM

Quote by Jack Valenti:
Quote:
"Computer and video-device companies need to sit at the table with the movie industry. Together, in good-faith talks, they must agree on the ingredients for creating strong protection for copyrighted films and then swiftly implement that agreement to make it an Internet reality."
This is directly related to the Blu-ray spec announcement.

This echoes what I heard Fox execs last year citing as one of the reasons they chose to back the seemingly clumsy choice of D-VHS. A mainstream PC will never have slot in for sticking D-VHS tapes, whereas the Blu-ray standard is intended to be used also in PCs. The MPAA is terrified that millions of computers this year will ship with DVD burners. As far as Blu-ray is concerned, they want either to have their copy protection built into PCs, or to use a different media altogether.

The biggest concern I have is that this may mean that some MPAA members are a long way from deciding if they want to release HD content on Blu-ray disks.

I seriously doubt the MPAA can end up controlling PC specifications. I still think it's a long-shot, but D-VHS just might win the day on this point alone.

~Dominic

learning more each day
Old 02-26-2002, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Valenti is a control freak. If he had his way he would:
1. Declair himself dictator and King of the Universe.

2. He would require each and every one of you to get his permission to watch or read anything.

3. He would require everyone to get his approval to produce anything in film, video, audio or print.

If the MPAA has it's way they will take over such unrelated areas such as Newspaper and Magazine ratings for articles. Go into radio for doing the same. And require that they approve and rate all printed publication. They want total control of everything. The only thing the free world has going for it is that Valenti is an old man.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Valenti appears to be somewhat losing it with his rants. I would not be surprised to see him replaced soon at this rate as he is probably starting to be an embarrassment.

One good thing he did was respond to the charge "Add to this (3) the accusation that copyright owners are stifling innovation in the digital world".

He basically responded by calling us all pirates. But he sort of legitimized the charge against the copyright owners so it will now be discussed and debated whether indeed this excessive copyright nonsense is really stifling innovation.

And of course it is.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 PM

I don't know much about the key players and politics in the MPAA. Are Valenti's views in the mainstream?

My experience with other industry associations is that the leaders usually do a faithful job in promoting the party line of the dominant players in the association. If not, they usually don't get the job in the first place.

~Dominic

learning more each day
Old 02-26-2002, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sure, I agree, Valenti is just a mouthpiece for the MPAA; if/when he is replaced we'll probably seem the same old crap from whoever takes over... it just seems like the MPAA come up with such absurdly restrictive proposals.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:46 PM

When the VCR was introduced in the early 1980s, Jack Valenti, lobbying for the Motion Picture Industry Association of America, made the famous statement, or in retrospect, perhaps, overstatement that "the VCR is to the motion picture industry and the American public what the Boston strangler is to the woman alone."
Old 02-26-2002, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
They want total control of everything. The only thing the free world has going for it is that Valenti is an old man.
Can I have an Amen?! Right on!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
Old 02-26-2002, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The biggest fear that the MPAA should have is Divx or namely Divx-HD if they don't sell a wide-spread DVD-HD product in the near future (and no I don't consider D-vhs wide-spread).

They desperately need to hire some engineers to tell them what will and will not work for protecting DVD-HD.

BTW, I don't find the claim, "some 350,000-plus films are being downloaded illegally every day," hysterical at all. That is less than 1/10,000th of the world population. If some one told me that .01% of the world's population downloaded a movie yesterday, I would believe it.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:35 AM

Now I know why tigers eat their young............
Where is Dr. Kevorkian when you need him ??!!!
Old 02-27-2002, 09:23 AM

Liked: 14
I love the way the Register article opened with the MPAA's full name:
Quote:
Motion Picture Ass. of America (MPAA) President Jack Valenti
That is so true! :D

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

Old 03-01-2002, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(From the Variety home page)
Quote:
Delivering Hollywood majors a boffo victory, an influential Senate panel on Thursday blasted the tech industry for refusing to play ball and figure out a way to stop pirated pics from being zipped around the Internet