TWC MoCA question/rant - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FiOS uses a superheadend setup. All national channels are routed to the superheadend while local, RSN's, and VOD is delivered via the VHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedamirault View Post

Last I checked, Verizon has a region based channel lineup just like cable, you can't check the lineup on their website without typing in a zip code of an area serviced by Verizon, except for the fact that FiOS uses RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass) to the house/ONT instead of RF over Coax, and the fact that FiOS is a direct connection from the CO to the house/ONT(not shared), Verizon FiOS is no different than TWC or any other cable company

It doesn't sound like you did much research.

Every FiOS system across the country has the same lineup of national channels on the same numbers, with the only difference being the locals and region-specific channels. Cable systems in adjacent counties often have their own channel lineups with different channels on different numbers.

Verizon uses a centralized "Super Head End" (SHE) to acquire and encode all national content. This SHE is connected via a fiber optic ring to 15-18 Video Hub Offices (VHOs) around the country. Each region has their own VHO, which takes all the national content distributed by the SHE and adds local channels for multiple markets within the region; the VHO also performs commercial insertion and runs the VOD and EPG servers. Each VHO is then connected via fiber optic ring to Video Serving Offices (VSOs) -- typically, a room at each CO -- where the feed is overlayed on RF for distribution to customers.

A cable company has the equivalent of multiple SHE+VHOs within each region. Whereas the typical Verizon office might have one room of servers to distribute the fiber feed from the VHO, a cable company office might have a building full of equipment to acquire national content and local content, insert commercials, and provide the EPG and VOD for local distribution.

In recent years, cable companies have undertaken efforts to centralize more operations. Comcast now encodes many of its national channels at its CMC in Denver, with the pre-encoded feeds uplinked via satellite for COs. This minimizes the amount of equipment required by each CO to acquire and distribute national channels, although they still require the equipment to acquire and distribute locals, VOD, and EPG information.

Quote:

AT&T never used MoCA on U-verse, they use HPNA over Coax

You're absolutely right on HPNA. U-Verse used MoCA in its early trials but switched to HPNA for deployment.

My point was that all FiOS and U-Verse equipment is networked within the home, unlike the vast majority of equipment deployed by cable companies. The use of HPNA vs. MoCA is irrelevant as both serve the same purpose.
post #33 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It doesn't sound like you did much research.

Every FiOS system across the country has the same lineup of national channels on the same numbers, with the only difference being the locals and region-specific channels. Cable systems in adjacent counties often have their own channel lineups with different channels on different numbers.

Verizon uses a centralized "Super Head End" (SHE) to acquire and encode all national content. This SHE is connected via a fiber optic ring to 15-18 Video Hub Offices (VHOs) around the country. Each region has their own VHO, which takes all the national content distributed by the SHE and adds local channels for multiple markets within the region; the VHO also performs commercial insertion and runs the VOD and EPG servers. Each VHO is then connected via fiber optic ring to Video Serving Offices (VSOs) -- typically, a room at each CO -- where the feed is overlayed on RF for distribution to customers.

A cable company has the equivalent of multiple SHE+VHOs within each region. Whereas the typical Verizon office might have one room of servers to distribute the fiber feed from the VHO, a cable company office might have a building full of equipment to acquire national content and local content, insert commercials, and provide the EPG and VOD for local distribution.

In recent years, cable companies have undertaken efforts to centralize more operations. Comcast now encodes many of its national channels at its CMC in Denver, with the pre-encoded feeds uplinked via satellite for COs. This minimizes the amount of equipment required by each CO to acquire and distribute national channels, although they still require the equipment to acquire and distribute locals, VOD, and EPG information.

If Verizon's network channels are from an "SHE" like at&t's is, then how come you have to enter a zip code in order to view them? On at&t's website, I can view at&t's SHE based lineup without having to type in any geographical information whatsoever (just click on "view channel line-up" and wait for the list to populate), and every time I search for a FiOS channel lineup, it's always based on city/state (you have to type in a zip code in order to load the lineup), if it was really SHE based, wouldn't there be a central place to find the SHE based FiOS channel lineup?

http://www22.verizon.com/residential...90057#channels
http://www.att.com/u-verse/

Quote:

HPNA vs. MoCA is irrelevant as both serve the same purpose.

AFAIK, there is a huge difference between MoCA and HPNA, they may both serve the same purpose, but there is a reason why there are both standards (and a reason why cable companies don't use HPNA), MoCA was created to run alongside DOCSIS while HPNA was created to be used in environments where DOCSIS based signals aren't used as HPNA interferes with DOCSIS

Also, the RG, DVR, and STBs used with U-verse all have HPNA hardware in them, so you would need MoCA bridges to connect the RG to the DVR or STBs, it is possible that before the Motorola and Cisco/SA STBs came out and before the RG had HPNA over Coax, the old TATUNG DVRs could of been connected using MoCA bridges instead of HPNA over Coax bridges (since the old TATUNG DVRs only had an ethernet port on them), though I have heard from Prem Techs (at&t indoor installers) on U-verse Users that when they installed the old TATUNG DVRs, they used HPNA bridges
post #34 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

There is only 2 SHE's. The one in IL and the one in FL. The region why it's zip coded is that each area is operated out of a VHO which does all the local stuff. With their setup, they can add channels simultaneously in their entire service footprint.

RemoteDVR is on my Samsung 3270, but it hasn't been activated. They're probably waiting for the legacy 8300, and the (gasp) 8000 boxes to get it.
post #35 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

If Verizon's network channels are from an "SHE" like at&t's is, then how come you have to enter a zip code in order to view them? On at&t's website, I can view at&t's SHE based lineup without having to type in any geographical information whatsoever (just click on "view channel line-up" and wait for the list to populate), and every time I search for a FiOS channel lineup, it's always based on city/state (you have to type in a zip code in order to load the lineup)

The fact that you need to enter a zip code is irrelevant. The simply enables the customer to see the region-specific local channels and RSNs as part of the lineup. Without a zip code, Verizon would have no idea what local networks to list.

Verizon doesn't list the national channels separate from locals like DirecTV or Dish Network, but that doesn't have anything to do with how the systems are setup. It is just the way the web designers opted to setup the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

There is only 2 SHE's. The one in IL and the one in FL. The region why it's zip coded is that each area is operated out of a VHO which does all the local stuff. With their setup, they can add channels simultaneously in their entire service footprint.

In case it is not obvious to others, the second SHE provides redundancy.
post #36 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The fact that you need to enter a zip code is irrelevant. The simply enables the customer to see the region-specific local channels and RSNs as part of the lineup. Without a zip code, Verizon would have no idea what local networks to list.

True, but why does that matter? Locals don't need to be on the lineup when you know you are looking at an SHE based lineup, for someone like me, I would rather look at an SHE lineup before signing up for a service, so that way I would know if they have a certain network channel I like or not (I already know they are going to have locals and I would have an idea on what channels they would be on), just like at&t does, Verizon could always make an SHE lineup, then if you wanted to look at your locals, you could then put in your zip, instead of requiring a zip just to look at SHE based channels

Quote:

Verizon doesn't list the national channels separate from locals like DirecTV or Dish Network, but that doesn't have anything to do with how the systems are setup. It is just the way the web designers opted to setup the site.

Seems like a stupid idea to me, if you are going to have your network channels hosted by an SHE, you might as well have an unblocked lineup so people can see what network channels you offer without having to enter geographical information, it makes it a lot easier to explain things in a forum without having to post a zip code as a "key" to show off the SHE lineup, in a situation like TWC or another cable company where all the channels are regional/VHO based, then having the lineup region locked makes sense, but in Verizon's case, it makes no sense at all

Quote:

In case it is not obvious to others, the second SHE provides redundancy.

So it's kind of like the RAID of headends, what would that be, RAISHE? (Redundant Array of Independent Super HeadEnds), lol
post #37 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

RemoteDVR is on my Samsung 3270, but it hasn't been activated. They're probably waiting for the legacy 8300, and the (gasp) 8000 boxes to get it.

By 8000 and 8300, do you mean the old SA DVRs? (HDs/HDCs), is it even possible to use Remote DVR on those? I wouldn't think they would be capable of such a thing, also, how could you tell? I would think something like that would unnoticeable unless you remotely accessed it
post #38 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Those boxes have 2 way communication via DAVIC. Even the OCAP boxes use DAVIC to communicate with the headend. Employees are testing it. MDN v2.5.0-48 has this feature. They just need to update the website for myservices.
post #39 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Those boxes have 2 way communication via DAVIC. Even the OCAP boxes use DAVIC to communicate with the headend. Employees are testing it. MDN v2.5.0-48 has this feature. They just need to update the website for myservices.

I just signed up for MyServices, so I should be ready as soon as it becomes available

So will the DVRs communicate to the CO using MoCA (connected to a router using a bridge) or DOCSIS (direct from DVR to CO)? If the old HD and HDC DVRs will be used, I would assume DOCSIS as those DVRs don't support MoCA

Oh, and will there be a mobile option? I tried loading the TWC website on my BlackBerry but the page wouldn't load properly
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page