Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 418 Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble displaying HD images on 2 displays using Simultaneous HDMI and Component Output from the Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR. When using the component display by itself, the HD signal works fine on the first HDTV. When I plug in the HDMI, the HDMI display and audio work fine on the 2nd HDTV, but the component display turns off and the digital audio remains. Does anyone know if it is possible to simultaneously display HD content on 2 display sources using HDMI and Component outputs simultaneously with this receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 418 Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunteriv View Post

I'm having trouble displaying HD images on 2 displays using Simultaneous HDMI and Component Output from the Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR. When using the component display by itself, the HD signal works fine on the first HDTV. When I plug in the HDMI, the HDMI display and audio work fine on the 2nd HDTV, but the component display turns off and the digital audio remains. Does anyone know if it is possible to simultaneously display HD content on 2 display sources using HDMI and Component outputs simultaneously with this receiver?

It's usually software driven, but no.
post #273 of 418 Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunteriv View Post

Unfortunately this is done by design in the name of copy protection. One way to do it would be to use an HDMI splitter then on one output use something like an HD Fury to convert to component. I recently sent a product suggestion to HD Fury for something that would have an HDMI pass through along with component output. They replied saying to wait for the HD Fury 4.
post #274 of 418 Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM

Does anyone know how to get the coax audio out working? I have the audio out set to dolby digital but my receiver isn't picking it up.
post #275 of 418 Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Does anyone know how to get the coax audio out working? I have the audio out set to dolby digital but my receiver isn't picking it up.
It should pretty much work all the time... only the format (2ch PCM or DD/AC3) is changed by that setting. Even when it's set to HDMI, the coax and optical ports still should output... but the format is determined by the EDID of the device connected to the HDMI port.

Are you sure that your receiver is set to look at that particular coax input when selecting that particular "logical" input. Most receivers require you to configure that as part of your input or audio input assignments.

If the receiver is configured correctly, then it just be a bad box.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #276 of 418 Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 AM

Mine does that too. Reboot by Time-Warner by phone fixes it for a little while
post #277 of 418 Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namderd View Post

I just got a Cisco 8640hdc. While watching a program the I have recorded, if I pause the recording, the information displayed on screen is for some other cable channel. I would like to be able to see where I am in the recording. How much time is left, etc. Does anybody know how to change this.

Meant to quote this as a problem I have (June '11) Time -Warner phone reboot fixed it
post #278 of 418 Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 AM

I have a good one. On my 4th or 5th box. HOUSE REWIRED last repair appointment. This cisco box goes bright pink, then lime green then black and white for ONE MINUTE around the 35th of each hour. It happens on live TV and once every recorded show I watch. I used to change channels to get the color back faster but it's easier to press the "play" button on the remote. Turns color back on instantly. Can't be the TV if changing channels restores color immediately and don't think Sony installed a secret chip that turns the TV into black and white on the 35th of the hour-lol, so it has to be the new box. Any ideas on this out there ?
post #279 of 418 Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Hi all. Just got the 8640. I had a Samsung but the TW cable guy told me there were software problems with those and gave me a Scientific Atlanta; familiar old problems: slow, small hard drive, sometimes get stuck in FF no matter how many times I pressed Play.
Happy with this Cisco for now.
One question: How do you force a reboot without unplugging the power cable? With the Sammy, you could press and hold OK/Select for a few seconds, then press the up arrow to go into diagnostic mode, which had a reboot option.
Can't find a similar combination on this unit.
post #280 of 418 Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCantwell View Post

Hi all. Just got the 8640. I had a Samsung but the TW cable guy told me there were software problems with those and gave me a Scientific Atlanta; familiar old problems: slow, small hard drive, sometimes get stuck in FF no matter how many times I pressed Play.
One question: How do you force a reboot without unplugging the power cable? With the Sammy, you could press and hold OK/Select for a few seconds, then press the up arrow to go into diagnostic mode, which had a reboot option.

I don't know of an alternate reboot. I have to unplug also. There's isn't much activity in this thread, u might try your local cable thread for better luck.
post #281 of 418 Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Here in NH, the provider - TWC - has added a feature on their support phone line. Via audio response, you can choose to have them reboot your STB. It works. YMMV.
post #282 of 418 Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

I don't know of an alternate reboot. I have to unplug also. There's isn't much activity in this thread, u might try your local cable thread for better luck.

It's not quite as convenient as the Samsung hardware diagnostics, but the 8640 also has a complete hardware diagnostic menu similar to the Samsung's. You must use the front panel controls to access it by simultaneously pressing [Vol+] and [Info]. Once you get in there, it can be navigated via the remote and the Reboot STB option is in the same place as it is on the Sammy... at the bottom of the main menu.

It doesn't include the top-level menu that includes the reboot option, but a subset of the hardware diagnostics (including signal level and S/N) is also available from the remote by pressing and holding [Power] until the power symbol flashes on the box, then release and press [Power] a second time.

As far as this thread being dead, there is significantly more discussion of this box in the TW Navigator thread. Although, technically, this is the correct place for a question about the hardware diags, such topics are more widely discussed there. Same thing with the Samsung boxes... more info in the Navigator thread than there is in the hardware specific threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #283 of 418 Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Many (most) Cisco/SA DVRs re-boot simply by holding in the front panel power button for about 5 seconds. Haven't tried it on the 8640. What firmware are you running?
post #284 of 418 Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Many (most) Cisco/SA DVRs re-boot simply by holding in the front panel power button for about 5 seconds. Haven't tried it on the 8640. What firmware are you running?

I'll have to check on the firmware. Looked similar to the Scientific Atlanta splash screen when I reboot. I think Cisco may make the Sci-Atl boxes as well.
post #285 of 418 Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I'll have to check on the firmware. Looked similar to the Scientific Atlanta splash screen when I reboot. I think Cisco may make the Sci-Atl boxes as well.

Cisco is Scientific Atlanta. They bought the company several years ago.
post #286 of 418 Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Also works on the Samsung boxes.
post #287 of 418 Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@Domino,
Thanks, I pushed the power button on the box and held it for five seconds and it rebooted. A lot easier then unplugging it . I'm not sure what firmware I have, however I have charter with the new passport echo guide.
post #288 of 418 Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just got this box. The hard drive seems to randomly spin up, even if I turn off the box and it isn't recording anything. It's actually pretty loud, especially in my completely silent bedroom. It even managed to wake me up this morning. Is this normal?
post #289 of 418 Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM

I suspect that it may be something like TWC here. They DL patches, etc. to the box at apparently random times, mostly at night. The noise is another story I think.
post #290 of 418 Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Hey guys..haven't been here in a while, but my frustration with TW over the past few months has me searching for an expert opinion.
I just got this box after having 2 failed Samsungs in the past year, as well as the whole street getting re-wired due to signal issues. The problem this time is that the digital audio out is very finicky. I've got the box hooked up to my vizio via HDMI and receiver through the optical output. I've found that when I switch channels, or even pause a recorded show, the audio goes out and I have to switch channels to get it to come back. Sometimes I have to reboot the box altogether. Is this a known issue or should I take it in and get yet another box?
I realize this is an old thread so I may post in the navigator discussion as well
post #291 of 418 Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredmachine878 View Post

Hey guys..haven't been here in a while, but my frustration with TW over the past few months has me searching for an expert opinion.
I just got this box after having 2 failed Samsungs in the past year, as well as the whole street getting re-wired due to signal issues. The problem this time is that the digital audio out is very finicky. I've got the box hooked up to my vizio via HDMI and receiver through the optical output. I've found that when I switch channels, or even pause a recorded show, the audio goes out and I have to switch channels to get it to come back. Sometimes I have to reboot the box altogether. Is this a known issue or should I take it in and get yet another box?
I realize this is an old thread so I may post in the navigator discussion as well

I (and some others, but not everyone) have had a similar issue with my 8640 ever since ODN 4.0 was loaded. Any break in the audio stream (change channel, pause, ff/rew, etc) can cause the audio to disappear or change to 2ch. Happens about 25% of the time. Another break in the audio stream (channel change, or hitting pause twice (if a recording) or pause/live (if live TV) will fix the issue.

I was just updated to ODN 4.1 last night but have not watched enough to say if it helped the problem or not.

post #292 of 418 Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 PM

FWIW, I am using the coaxial digital audio connection and have never experienced this problem. If your receiver supports this type of interconnect, you may want to give it a try.
post #293 of 418 Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryPenguin View Post

FWIW, I am using the coaxial digital audio connection and have never experienced this problem. If your receiver supports this type of interconnect, you may want to give it a try.

Been there, done that ( I actually can switch between the two with a single button press on the remote). When it loses audio or goes 2-ch when it should be 5.1, it does it on both outputs.

I watched several recordings and a bit of live TV last night with lots of FF'ing and channel changes and it was rock steady DD 5.1 all night. Here's hoping the upgrade really did fix the problem - it never did it with ODN 3.2, started immediately with 4.0, and so far seems to be fixed with 4.1.

post #294 of 418 Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the responses! Usually another break in audio will fix the problem but the other day it happened and I couldn't do anything that would get it back..ended up having to reboot. It's been fine since then however. How do I find out which version of navigator my box is running? I'm in Cincinnati so I don't know where we fall in the update line.
post #295 of 418 Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredmachine878 View Post

Thanks for the responses! Usually another break in audio will fix the problem but the other day it happened and I couldn't do anything that would get it back..ended up having to reboot. It's been fine since then however. How do I find out which version of navigator my box is running? I'm in Cincinnati so I don't know where we fall in the update line.

On your remote, press and hold the [Select] button on the remote until the indicator starts flashing in the front display, then press [Down]. This will bring up the ODN diagnostics... the ODN version is listed near the bottom of page 1.

post #296 of 418 Old 10-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I recently swapped out my old SA8300HD for the Cisco 8640HDC in order to receive MP4 HD programming, such as NHL Center Ice. It's working OK so far.
I note on Cisco's site that the 8640 comes in three hard drive flavors:
160GB, 320GB, and 500GB. How can I determine which hard drive is in my Cisco box?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #297 of 418 Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM

Sgooter, go over to the Time Warner Cable Navigator thread, ask your question there. The Satch Man may/will know the answer to your question. I also have the Cisco 8640HDC.
post #298 of 418 Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When trying to watch 3d shows from my box to a 3dxl and optoma hd66...I just see a top and bottom picture that are the same...what am I doing wrong?
post #299 of 418 Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 AM

I am with Cox in North San Diego and just swapped out my older SA box for one of the new Cisco ones. Anyone find any use for the Ethernet port on the back of this? Would be cool if I could access the recorded shows from a PC on my network. Seems the data sheet implies you can, I figure Cox likely has it disabled.
post #300 of 418 Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM

How can I access the maintenance menu for the 8642HDC? The methods for the 8640 do not work. Also, is there an easy way to check hard drive space available?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page