Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 418 Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogyyz View Post

My box reverts back to 480 as well. I also have an issue where CBS in HD pixelates and stutters, which I did not have with the SA box. The rep said it may be a degrading signal, but why would it not happen for all channels? I'm seriously considering going to Direct TV as I saw my neighbors HD channels and they looked a hundred times better than my TWC HD channels.

Yeah I saw they have more hd channels as well. I'm currently on Brighthouse in Orlando. The only thing is I use Brighthouse for internet as well and direct tv doesn't have that . If I could get the same internet speed for less I'd definitely make the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 418 Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Update:

First off BrightHouse sucks ass...

I spend some time on the phone with Tech support. They told me they were unaware of the issue with the resolution and that they would send someone out on monday (today) to install a new Samsung box.

So the guy just showed up with a Scientific 8300 box.??!! He tells me that the Samsung boxes are not available and that he is very much aware of the resolution issues with the new Cisco boxes. He didn't even want to see me recreate the problem. He said that they are waiting for the new television providers to provide the proper information so they could create a firmware fix. he actually said the problem is that I have a newer TV. (have a 1 year old Samsung!) In the meantime he suggested using component cables instead of HDMI.

So i guess our options are a slow model (8300) or a faster box with downgraded connections(8640). Guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and wait for a firmware update- or At&t Uverse availability.

-James A
post #63 of 418 Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_aA View Post

Update:

First off BrightHouse sucks ass...

-James A

Isn't Bright House now owned by TWC? That right there would confirm the Bright house level of suckness by default

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #64 of 418 Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Isn't Bright House now owned by TWC? That right there would confirm the Bright house level of suckness by default

Well now I'm having problems with my box/tv. It keeps flashing my input settings. For ex. I'm watching tv and last night it will keep flashing like I was changing input sources (hdmi to component etc) but it only shows the hdmi input source I use for the cable box. I unplugged my hdmi cable from the tv and the cable box and it stopped last night. Now it's starting up again. Anyone else have this issue?
post #65 of 418 Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post

Well now I'm having problems with my box/tv. It keeps flashing my input settings. For ex. I'm watching tv and last night it will keep flashing like I was changing input sources (hdmi to component etc) but it only shows the hdmi input source I use for the cable box. I unplugged my hdmi cable from the tv and the cable box and it stopped last night. Now it's starting up again. Anyone else have this issue?

When all the resolutions are selected (480P, 720p 1080i) for output my Sony Bravia will display the input also during channel changes. When set to output 1080i only it will not do this. I know something is jacked up when I change channels and am receiving the input info

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #66 of 418 Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Audio Problem with the 8640? Audio drops out after 10-15 minutes use. I can either 1) do a complete Reboot or 2) wait a couple of hours. Doing 1 or 2 gets the audio back, but only another 10-15 minutes before it drops out again. I'm running Digital Audio Out from the DVR to the AVReceiver and Component Video Out from the DVR to the AVR. Of course, the AVR feeds the speakers and HDMI is used for the video link to the 60" Sony SXRD. Is anyone else having audio drop outs? The provider is TWC and they only allude to knowing about an audio drop-out problem with their boxes. Thoughts? Thanks.
post #67 of 418 Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoSC View Post

Audio Problem with the 8640? Audio drops out after 10-15 minutes use. I can either 1) do a complete Reboot or 2) wait a couple of hours. Doing 1 or 2 gets the audio back, but only another 10-15 minutes before it drops out again. I'm running Digital Audio Out from the DVR to the AVReceiver and Component Video Out from the DVR to the AVR. Of course, the AVR feeds the speakers and HDMI is used for the video link to the 60" Sony SXRD. Is anyone else having audio drop outs? The provider is TWC and they only allude to knowing about an audio drop-out problem with their boxes. Thoughts? Thanks.

These alternatives may not be the ideal long term solution, but could help identify the source of the problem:
a) HDMI direct from the DVR to the TV, or
b) component direct to the TV.
post #68 of 418 Old 04-05-2010, 06:44 AM

I had enough problems with this DVR that I decided to switch to Direct Tv. BUT, they could not get a line of sight for HD, so I had to stick with TWC. So, I took the Cisco back and ended up with a SA 8240 HDC. The problems I was having seemed to have disappeared so far. Maybe I'll trade back in for another Cisco down the road if they get some of the problems fixed.
post #69 of 418 Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 PM

It's amazing that even within this thread you have people that say the 8640 is faster and some say it's slower.

Is this an average time for a cable company to introduce a product that is lacking so? Will the 8640 be pulled from the shelf? Or is it just an "over the air" update that is do any day?
post #70 of 418 Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently traded in my 8300HD (mistake) and got the cisco 8640, i am getting audio drop outs quite often and the remote is really slow. I callled TWC and got a person and he was hard to understand I mentioned about the audio drop out and he new nothing about it. I have a 8300HD upstairs and switched it with the 8640 so far no problems the remote is allot faster. I liked the idea of more space with the 8640 but cannot stand its short comings. Is there a box that i can get to replace the 8640?
post #71 of 418 Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 AM

Hope this is the right place...

Any way to change the position of the PIP window on the screen? NOT the choice of corners as when using the appropriate PIP button, but rather physically on the main window as in closer to the main window corner. Now (default) it is well inside the main window, and blocks a lot of useful picture space. I would like to move it to the actual corner of the main window.

Thanks.
post #72 of 418 Old 04-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Hi all,

Not sure this is the best place for this, but I'm hoping someone can help me or redirect me to the correct place.

We recently got a 55" Vizio HDTV, an Onkyo HT-S6200 HTIB setup, and a Samsung Blu-Ray player (Yay tax return!).

I have the Cisco 8640 DVR connected to the Onkyo via HDMI, and the Onkyo out to the TV via HDMI as well. The Blu-Ray is not hooked up yet as I forgot to get a third HDMI cable

I noticed an issue last night that I can't find a solution for that occurs with some of my son's cartoons. The music volume of the show works just fine, but the actor voices are severely muted. I've also noticed this happening with some commercials as well - the audio will be almost completely muted out.

Is this a cable box issue or have I set up something wrong? Does the cable box need to go directly to the TV, and then feed the TV audio to the receiver?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Richard

EDIT: I've seen the 6 page data sheet on the 8640 on the web, but is there a full-blown instruction manual out there as well?

Thanks
post #73 of 418 Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM

I probably won't be much help, but here we go.
Check the different audio output options in the DVRs menus. I'll go check on mine later and report back.
Check the volume output from the DVR sound volume control.
Can you try any different equalizer/audio settings on the receiver?

I am just beginning to read this stuff about house curves etc. This is more around the subwoofer, but I am not sure if maybe it is related. I think I may pick up one of these EQs either way.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ed-how-do.html

Well hopefully this is better than nothing as you didn't have any replies yet!

EDIT:
MENU -> SETTINGS -> Devices:
Audio: Digital Output - Dolby Digital, HDMI, or Other (I am using dolby digital. I don't have HDMI from my DVR, just an optical cable to my receiver)
Audio:Range - Wide, Narrow, or Normal (I am using Wide)
Audio: Volume Control - Variable or Fixed (I have Variable)

MENU -> SETTINGS -> Audio/SAP
Only option is digital.

EDIT2: Taken from Mark Tranchant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tranchant View Post

This is a dynamic range control. Dynamic range is the ratio of "loud" to "quiet". Imagine your typical thrash metal concert - that has a very narrow dynamic range (very loud to very very loud). A classical concert will usually have a very wide dynamic range (ppp to fff).

The classical concert is successful because the audience is quiet, the hall acoustics are good, and the "loud" end of the range is really surprisingly loud.

In the home, you'll probably need to play a recording of that concert quieter than "real life", which will push the "quiet" end into inaudibility, especially with a less optimum acoustic environment and higher background noise; the "middle" of the range will be annoyingly quiet and the loud bits will still be loud.

Movies are similar - from whispered (yet critical) dialogue to earthquakes and explosions. If you have the volume set to catch the whispers, you'll be diving on the volume control to tame every explosion.

The dynamic range "narrow" setting compresses this range, making the whispers louder and the explosions quieter. I'm going to guess that "normal" is still a slight compression and "wide" is no modification, but it's possible that "normal" is no modification and "wide" is actually an expansion of the range.

Using this setting for music reduces the accuracy of what you hear, but it's all about enjoyment in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by velrahnkoon View Post

Hi all,

Not sure this is the best place for this, but I'm hoping someone can help me or redirect me to the correct place.

We recently got a 55" Vizio HDTV, an Onkyo HT-S6200 HTIB setup, and a Samsung Blu-Ray player (Yay tax return!).

I have the Cisco 8640 DVR connected to the Onkyo via HDMI, and the Onkyo out to the TV via HDMI as well. The Blu-Ray is not hooked up yet as I forgot to get a third HDMI cable

I noticed an issue last night that I can't find a solution for that occurs with some of my son's cartoons. The music volume of the show works just fine, but the actor voices are severely muted. I've also noticed this happening with some commercials as well - the audio will be almost completely muted out.

Is this a cable box issue or have I set up something wrong? Does the cable box need to go directly to the TV, and then feed the TV audio to the receiver?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Richard

EDIT: I've seen the 6 page data sheet on the 8640 on the web, but is there a full-blown instruction manual out there as well?

Thanks

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #74 of 418 Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM

I am also getting the problem with no fast forward pause or rewind etc.. with playback or live tv. Seems to be a glitch with the box and not the remote. I have a second box that i took remote to and can pause there no problem. Unplugging box seems to do the trick, but can't unplug while recording. It is so annoying. The 15minute jump forward still works though. very odd. and most annoying.
post #75 of 418 Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM

So is this box worth the "upgrade" from the 8300? My 8300 seems to be acting up lately and the feedback from the remote is getting worse and worse. Is the only issue still the HDMI handshaking? Assuming the box can do full 1080p over component, I am not worried about that for now because I can just use component. HDMI is really only a convenience if the box supports full HD over component IMO anyway.

Anyway, so if my TWC office has the 8640, should I give it a try? Also, we have not had the update with the new Navigator as of yet if that is any factor at all.
post #76 of 418 Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post

So is this box worth the "upgrade" from the 8300? My 8300 seems to be acting up lately and the feedback from the remote is getting worse and worse. Is the only issue still the HDMI handshaking? Assuming the box can do full 1080p over component, I am not worried about that for now because I can just use component. HDMI is really only a convenience if the box supports full HD over component IMO anyway.

Anyway, so if my TWC office has the 8640, should I give it a try? Also, we have not had the update with the new Navigator as of yet if that is any factor at all.

I do not seem to have the feedback from the remote anymore. I only use component 1080i, so I cannot speak to the handshaking or 1080p.
I say give it a try!

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #77 of 418 Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velrahnkoon View Post

The music volume of the show works just fine, but the actor voices are severely muted. I've also noticed this happening with some commercials as well - the audio will be almost completely muted out.

Have you checked the L & R channel settings on the TV? I had a similar situation on a different combo of HW. My guess is that cartoons and commercials divide the content between channels, so are very noticeable, while most other normal content is fairly well divided between them, so you don't notice it as much.
post #78 of 418 Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 PM

I am having a hard time finding out if we have any of these boxes in the area. everyone I talk to just keeps telling me they can give me an 8300.
post #79 of 418 Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post

I am having a hard time finding out if we have any of these boxes in the area. everyone I talk to just keeps telling me they can give me an 8300.

What area do you live in? I can probably tell you since I frequent the TWC Navigator thread and people usually post what boxes they have.

post #80 of 418 Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 AM

I think I may have figured out the Pausing problem- No pause or fast forward etc... unless you reboot the box-
Going to have to try a new connection but I currently have HDMI connection and it seems if I switch to a different connection on my TV (for computer as an example) then go back to the HDMI on the Cable box- that is when i cannot rw ff or pause etc..
Maybe this is another bug with the HDMI cable. I'll need to get myself some component cables to confirm it is hdmi connection but Pretty sure it only happens when i switch from the cable box connection to another on my tv. Even if the box is off when i Switch and then come back to it the rw ff etc.. won't work. Confirmation would be great, but maybe i'll try a plain coax connection first... thanks.

So far Confirmed:no problem with pause play fast forward rewind when using coax instead of HDMI and switching tv connections. Seems like HDMI is having more trouble than just the resolution. (picture horrible with coax of course- need to find my component cables)
post #81 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 AM

A software upgrade delivered early this morning to my box has fixed the HDMI handshake issue for me in Raleigh on Time Warner Cable. Very happy.
post #82 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray J View Post

A software upgrade delivered early this morning to my box has fixed the HDMI handshake issue for me in Raleigh on Time Warner Cable. Very happy.

Woah, really? What software version is your box on now? To check, hold select down for about 10 seconds until the message icon pops up on the box display, then press down arrow. Version should be something like 2.4-XXX or 2.5-XXX.
post #83 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 AM

I see a 3.2.0_9 and 3.2.0_15

I have my box set to 1080i only and instead of going back to 480p when turning on the set (the problem many have had in this thread), the box flashes up from 1080i to 480p on the box display while the TV comes on and as soon as the picture comes it stays on 1080i which is normal behavior. I've tested it several times and it seems good to go.
post #84 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I see a 3.2.0_9 and 3.2.0_15

I have my box set to 1080i only and instead of going back to 480p when turning on the set (the problem many have had in this thread), the box flashes up from 1080i to 480p on the box display while the TV comes on and as soon as the picture comes it stays on 1080i which is normal behavior. I've tested it several times and it seems good to go.

Oh yea, 3.x.x_xxx makes sense. The 2.x stuff is for MDN software, I mixed them up.

What market are you in?
post #85 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClown View Post

Oh yea, 3.x.x_xxx makes sense. The 2.x stuff is for MDN software, I mixed them up.

What market are you in?

Raleigh, NC
post #86 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Raleigh, NC

Makes sense. Raleigh is the first scheduled to get Remote DVR programming. It's nice to see they fixed HDMI finally.
post #87 of 418 Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClown View Post

Makes sense. Raleigh is the first scheduled to get Remote DVR programming. It's nice to see they fixed HDMI finally.

Charlotte is getting the test release of remote DVR. Raleigh and Charlotte are two different TWC regions.

post #88 of 418 Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Charlotte has deployed the 4640HDC but still has the HDMI issues. Charlotte uses ODN v3.2.0_15 but Raleigh has the patch that fixes this issue.
post #89 of 418 Old 05-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Charlotte has deployed the 4640HDC but still has the HDMI issues. Charlotte uses ODN v3.2.0_15 but Raleigh has the patch that fixes this issue.

Is there another thread or forum I can access this info? dslreports or something? Where are you all getting your info?

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #90 of 418 Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodeje79 View Post

Is there another thread or forum I can access this info? dslreports or something? Where are you all getting your info?

From here, the avs forum Crime Warner Navigator thread. It's been going since the launch of navigator I think, a few years now.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...23830&page=407

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page