Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 418 Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying for many months to get the new Samsung HD-Dvr in St. Pete Fl (Brighthouse) to no avail. When recently I called for a service appointment because my modem went bad, I also asked again about the new box. To my surprise they didn't have the Sammy still, but did have the new Cisco 8640HDC. So I have it here now.

Mine has the 320 GB HDD (WD3200AAJS) which does 180 hours of SD or 40 hours of HD.

Manual/Specs

So far I don't notice any major speed differences in the interface, but I am happy with the extra space. I recorded 2 1hr shows in HD, they only took 2% each. I do find there is a noticeable lag with all remote control functions.

This box has a major bug when using the HDMI connection! If you have your box set to 720p or 1080i resolution and either shut off the box or change your TV to another HDMI input, it will reset to 480 (even if 480 is not checked). If you have this box, call your cable provider and complain so that we can all get this fixed!

Workaround: It has been confirmed that you can use the component connection instead to avoid the problem for now.

This exists up to the current firmware version 3.1.3_3. To check your firmware version; while watching a channel just hold the Select button down on the remote for about 10 seconds until you see a flashing icon on the unit's display, then press the down button. You will see Diag on the display for a few seconds then the diag screen will pop up over the show you're watching. ODN version is near the bottom of the first page right above the date of the unit's last reboot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 418 Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM

I'm in Cincinnati, OH and have Time Warner Cable. I got a brand new Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR last week when I upgraded to HD because I bought a new Samsung 46" B750 HDTV. I was looking for one of the newer Samsung HD STB DVRs, but the Time Warner rep indicted that many customers had issues with the Samsungs and that Time Warner was no longer purchasing the newest Samsung model. The Ciscos are Time Warner's newest hardware.
It has the 320 GB hard drive. The space available seems to be OK even while recording the Olympics in HD, but I have been watching and then deleting the recording every evening. It's premature, but maybe replacing the internal drive with one of the bigger WD AV drives (or getting a large external eSATA drive) is an option worth exploring to increse recording capacity.
The unit feels a little sluggish to respond to the remote compared to the old Scientific Atlanta SD DVR, however the PQ seems quite good. And the buffer seems to function differently then what I was used to with the old DVR. That is, if I leave a channel tuned while watching something recorded, when I stop viewing the recoring, I'm unable to hit the back key on the live program beyond that time point, not the roughly hour or so which is what I remember the old SD DVR kept in it's buffer. Specifically, I've recorded the prime time Olympics coverage, started watching the recording program a little later to skip through commercials, with the live program on that same channel. But when I finish watching the recording I cannot back up the live program (local news on NBC) to the start of it's time period, it will only go back to the exact time I finished watching the recording.
Additionally, even though I have the box's output resolution set to 1080i, which the TV is compatible with (it's 1080p native resolution), every time I turn the TV and box on the TV reports the incoming signal as 720 x 480i (SD) until I change the unit's output resolution to something in addition to 1080i, at which point the TV reports the signal as 1080i incoming. Then I can change the resolution back to only 1080i. However, when I turn the TV and box off, the next time I turn them on again, the resolution as reported by the TV is 480i again. I will try setting the resolution to auto to see how that affects the resolution output.
Has anyone else observed this behavior, the buffer functionality (or lack of) and resolution switching? Or has someone found a work-around?
post #3 of 418 Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimXX51 View Post

The unit feels a little sluggish to respond to the remote compared to the old Scientific Atlanta SD DVR, however the PQ seems quite good.

Has anyone else observed this behavior, the buffer functionality (or lack of) and resolution switching? Or has someone found a work-around?

I have noticed that the all button on the remote seem to have a one second delay before they happen, very annoying. I imagine they will fix with an update though.

I have a 1080p Samsung 67", but I set the box to 1080i and 720p only, so never noticed the other problem you mention.

The recording space is great, a 1hr HDTV show only uses 2% of the DVR space!
post #4 of 418 Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I'm in Cincinnati, OH and have Time Warner Cable. I got a brand new Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR last week when I upgraded to HD because I bought a new Samsung 46" B750 HDTV. I was looking for one of the newer Samsung HD STB DVRs, but the Time Warner rep indicted that many customers had issues with the Samsungs and that Time Warner was no longer purchasing the newest Samsung model. The Ciscos are Time Warner's newest hardware.
It has the 320 GB hard drive. The space available seems to be OK even while recording the Olympics in HD, but I have been watching and then deleting the recording every evening. It's premature, but maybe replacing the internal drive with one of the bigger WD AV drives (or getting a large external eSATA drive) is an option worth exploring to increse recording capacity.
The unit feels a little sluggish to respond to the remote compared to the old Scientific Atlanta SD DVR, however the PQ seems quite good. And the buffer seems to function differently then what I was used to with the old DVR. That is, if I leave a channel tuned while watching something recorded, when I stop viewing the recoring, I'm unable to hit the back key on the live program beyond that time point, not the roughly hour or so which is what I remember the old SD DVR kept in it's buffer. Specifically, I've recorded the prime time Olympics coverage, started watching the recording program a little later to skip through commercials, with the live program on that same channel. But when I finish watching the recording I cannot back up the live program (local news on NBC) to the start of it's time period, it will only go back to the exact time I finished watching the recording.
Additionally, even though I have the box's output resolution set to 1080i, which the TV is compatible with (it's 1080p native resolution), every time I turn the TV and box on the TV reports the incoming signal as 720 x 480i (SD) until I change the unit's output resolution to something in addition to 1080i, at which point the TV reports the signal as 1080i incoming. Then I can change the resolution back to only 1080i. However, when I turn the TV and box off, the next time I turn them on again, the resolution as reported by the TV is 480i again. I will try setting the resolution to auto to see how that affects the resolution output.

This exact same problem is happening to me. I have set the DVR to only show 1080i, but everytime I turn it on it resets to 480i. I have to go in manually and reset it to 1080i. I'm with Brighthouse in Orlando. If you hear something please let me know. I'll do the same. Very strange problem.
post #5 of 418 Old 02-19-2010, 03:53 PM

I too have the CISCO box with Time Warner and 50" Samsung Series 6. The CISCO box resets to 480 each time I turn it off. The Sammy reports 480 and I have to manually go back to set the 1080 display output on the box. Have tried using just the 1080i output setting, 720 and 1080 output, the auto output. In all cases, the box reverts to 480 output upon power-off and power on.

Recording the olympics I notice the box has the 480 lit while recording. When I play the recorded shows, it is 480, until I again reset to 1080, then it displays in 1080.

Not liking this at all.

I agree as well on the power button - kinda sucks that having 4 components that need to turn on you have to sit and hold the thing while it SLOWLY cycles through and powers items on.

Not really a happy camper!

If anyone hears of a solution with the 480 issue, please post. I plan on calling TWC and discussing the issue with them...drive me nuts.

MM
post #6 of 418 Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 AM

I have tried the WD My DVR Expander 1TB eSata hard drive. This did not work.
I also tried a Thermaltake Black Widow Toaster- ST0005U with a WD 1TB Caviar Black HD- Also does not work for expansion.

Tried out the Ethernet port but i think that is disabled.

Cannot find any info on this DVR for expanding the recording capacity- and I already lost some Olympic days because of too much on it.

Anyone have any success connectiong a eSata drive to this DVR?

Called TWC it seems as if there is no support to expand this DVR- what a waste why disable so much- talk about bad customer service... Going to have to look toward TIVO but wish TIVO had Tru2Way.
Locked into a bad situation I guess.
post #7 of 418 Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Anyone try 30 second skip?

What was the old method for programming the remote to do so?
maybe they forgot to disable?

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #8 of 418 Old 02-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Brighthouse, Orlando FL, I just got my Cisco 8640HDC and it looks like I have the 320gb drive which will be nice. I tried adding an Apricorn ADVRE-1000 1TB DVR xPander and it does not recognize it. I have several smaller drives but my guess is if it didn't recognize this one, it won't recognize the others.

I do not have the resolution problems some of you are having. I went into Menu, Settings, scrolled left/right to DISPLAY, scrolled up to Output Resolution, and and cleared the dot in front of 480i, 480p, and 720p and left the only dot by the 1080i and it always comes up okay now.

My problem is the power on channel. It doesn't matter what I select, a specific channel, last channel, or "0 iCNTRL" which brings up the user help on demand, it always starts on "0 iCNTRL" which is annoying.
post #9 of 418 Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM

les236 - is your 8640HDc connected to your HDTV by HDMI? And, if so what TV?
post #10 of 418 Old 02-27-2010, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaidth View Post

I have tried the WD My DVR Expander 1TB eSata hard drive. This did not work.
I also tried a Thermaltake Black Widow Toaster- ST0005U with a WD 1TB Caviar Black HD- Also does not work for expansion.

Tried out the Ethernet port but i think that is disabled.

Cannot find any info on this DVR for expanding the recording capacity- and I already lost some Olympic days because of too much on it.

Anyone have any success connectiong a eSata drive to this DVR?

Called TWC it seems as if there is no support to expand this DVR- what a waste why disable so much- talk about bad customer service... Going to have to look toward TIVO but wish TIVO had Tru2Way.
Locked into a bad situation I guess.

Tivo is going to unveil a new model fairly soon.
post #11 of 418 Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:

les236 - is your 8640HDc connected to your HDTV by HDMI? And, if so what TV?

Sorry I didn't include that information. The 8640HDC is connected via HDMI to a 47" Vizio LCD TV.
post #12 of 418 Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM

I am too having the hdmi problem where the 8640 HDC reverts to 480i when the tv is turned off/on. Has anyone been able to correct or find an answer to this issue?
post #13 of 418 Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 AM

Just read in another post where you uncheck all execpt 1080 when in set up mode.
post #14 of 418 Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Probably has to so with what channel it reverts to when shut off and turned on as prevoiusly posted

I would look for a workaround for that

Why are we here, because we're here, Roll the Bones
post #15 of 418 Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoof15 View Post

I leave the box on I don't even turn it off, so when im watching an hd channel at 1080i, turn off the tv only, and turn the tv back on, the cable box while still viewing the same hd channel changes to 480i. It appears to be an hdmi bug.

Smoof15 is dead on with this one. There are many of us having this issue. I would hate to go back to the 8300. I am hoping brighthouse/cisco comes up with a fix or updated driver soon.
post #16 of 418 Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Yes does sound like a handshake issue

Try it with component cables, as I don't think that will shut off the signal to the box like HDMI does

Why are we here, because we're here, Roll the Bones
post #17 of 418 Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorWorm View Post

Smoof15 is dead on with this one. There are many of us having this issue. I would hate to go back to the 8300. I am hoping brighthouse/cisco comes up with a fix or updated driver soon.

It is supposed to be energy star compliant.
Can you still hear the hard drive when it is off?
post #18 of 418 Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 PM

If you do select 1080 only than it will also keep the screen from blinking trying to determine the optimal resolution, the only downside is that it doesnt always auto stretch the picture to take up the full screen. It just tricks the box into thinking everything is 1080. MM as far as calling the cable company that isnt going to really get you anywhere the macro on the remote will cycle slowly to turn the components on and off. One thing i could say for you guys is to leave your cable box on. The cable box is going to actually use the same amount of power if it is on or off the only thing that is doing when you hit the power button is turning off the input. The cable box is constantly taking updates as far as the tv guide, software upgrades and flashes which tells the cable box what channels it is supposed to be broadcasting and making sure that you have not altered the internal card to recieve additional channel frequiencies that are not being paid for. So basically just leave the cable box on and turn off your tv best solution because it doesn't really turn off anyways.
post #19 of 418 Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler555 View Post

if you do select 1080 only than it will also keep the screen from blinking trying to determine the optimal resolution, the only downside is that it doesnt always auto stretch the picture to take up the full screen. It just tricks the box into thinking everything is 1080. Mm as far as calling the cable company that isnt going to really get you anywhere the macro on the remote will cycle slowly to turn the components on and off. One thing i could say for you guys is to leave your cable box on. The cable box is going to actually use the same amount of power if it is on or off the only thing that is doing when you hit the power button is turning off the input. The cable box is constantly taking updates as far as the tv guide, software upgrades and flashes which tells the cable box what channels it is supposed to be broadcasting and making sure that you have not altered the internal card to recieve additional channel frequiencies that are not being paid for. So basically just leave the cable box on and turn off your tv best solution because it doesn't really turn off anyways.

bingo!
post #20 of 418 Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the same problem only it isn't just when box is powered off/on, mine does it everytime i go to another input to either watch a DVD or play the Wii. When I come back to HDMI 1 input from DVD player the box displays 480i until changing to HD station and back then all is fine. If I go into settings it is still set to only output 1080i. Now if I leave the Wii's component input to the HDMI 1 input for cable it has defaulted to having all the resolutions checked again, very weird.

I had the handshake problem with my old 8300HDC but only when connected HDMI to my AVR. If I was plugged HDMI from cable box to TV I never had a problem but with this box I do.

Also having another problem where when pausing a show and the screen saver comes on it will only cover the middle 4:3 section of the tv. On the outside sidebars you can still see the show that is paused. It's not cool walking in and seeing your TWC screen saver logo just bouncing around in the middle of the TV screen

I have TWC navigator with the 3.1.3_3 firmware load but that is supposed to be updated soon. I'll update if it makes a difference.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #21 of 418 Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

I have the same problem only it isn't just when box is powered off/on, mine does it everytime i go to another input to either watch a DVD or play the Wii. When I come back to HDMI 1 input from DVD player the box displays 480i until changing to HD station and back then all is fine. If I go into settings it is still set to only output 1080i. Now if I leave the Wii's component input to the HDMI 1 input for cable it has defaulted to having all the resolutions checked again, very weird.

I had the handshake problem with my old 8300HDC but only when connected HDMI to my AVR. If I was plugged HDMI from cable box to TV I never had a problem but with this box I do.

Also having another problem where when pausing a show and the screen saver comes on it will only cover the middle 4:3 section of the tv. On the outside sidebars you can still see the show that is paused. It's not cool walking in and seeing your TWC screen saver logo just bouncing around in the middle of the TV screen

I have TWC navigator with the 3.1.3_3 firmware load but that is supposed to be updated soon. I'll update if it makes a difference.

Thought the updates are automatic. There is a manual update?
post #22 of 418 Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbookjunkie View Post

Thought the updates are automatic. There is a manual update?

No, TWC called and a recorded message said that a new update would be coming in the next two nights between 2am and 5am and listed the enhancements like remote DVR setting, more detailed show info, etc. but that was almost a week ago and still no update on the box yet.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #23 of 418 Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Installed the 8640. No issues. Picture looks a little better, (could be my eyes), sound is a little better and louder (could be my ears).
Didn't have go to set up screen. Plug and play....
post #24 of 418 Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To my understanding the screensaver issue is actually a software/firmware one, it was built that way because the older boxes like the 8300HD could not display a widescreen guide or screensaver due to a hardware limitation. You will notice none of the menus or guide are 16:9.

My guess is that they released this new box knowing it could handle the current firmware already used on the other boxes, with the intention to send an update for these new boxes that can handle it to enable widescreen. I hope so anyway, I hate the 4:3 guide.

Hopefully the firmware update you mentioned will be that fix, and likely fix the reverting to 480i as well. If we're really lucky, it will also fix the remote lag.
post #25 of 418 Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM

I am having a similar issue w/ my new Central Florida Brighthouse Cisco 8640HDC box.

I can set the resolution to any combination of 720p/1080i, and as soon as I turn off the TV, the cable box resets its signal to 480i/p. The only way I can get the HD signals back is to change the settings again.

I'm currently running a HDMI cable from my 8640 to my Onkyo 607 and then another HDMI cable to my Samsung LN52B750.

I'm going to try to bypass my receiver tonight to see if I can get it to work at all, then start adding components to the pipeline to see if I can identify the issue.

Has anyone gotten any resolution to this? Brighthouse has been essentially useless. Their proposed solution seems to be a box swap for everything .
post #26 of 418 Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiahXgaming View Post

To my understanding the screensaver issue is actually a software/firmware one, it was built that way because the older boxes like the 8300HD could not display a widescreen guide or screensaver due to a hardware limitation. You will notice none of the menus or guide are 16:9.

My guess is that they released this new box knowing it could handle the current firmware already used on the other boxes, with the intention to send an update for these new boxes that can handle it to enable widescreen. I hope so anyway, I hate the 4:3 guide.

Hopefully the firmware update you mentioned will be that fix, and likely fix the reverting to 480i as well. If we're really lucky, it will also fix the remote lag.

The issue i'm having though I didn't have with the 8300hdc 4:3 guide. With that box when the screensaver came on the side bars were filled in black so the whole screen was black with a blue TWC logo that moved around periodically, on this box the middle of the screen (the 4:3 section) of the screensaver is black with the moving logo but the outside where the normal black bars go when watching un-stretched 4:3 material has no screen saver at all and you can still see what is paused. It just seems wierd to me and if left that way for extremly long period of time could cause some sort of screen damage I expect. I was just wondering if anyone else had the problem. As of today still no upgrade from TWC not sure why I got the call last week could have been a mistake I guess.

post #27 of 418 Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchdownVeejus View Post

I am having a similar issue w/ my new Central Florida Brighthouse Cisco 8640HDC box.

I can set the resolution to any combination of 720p/1080i, and as soon as I turn off the TV, the cable box resets its signal to 480i/p. The only way I can get the HD signals back is to change the settings again.

I'm currently running a HDMI cable from my 8640 to my Onkyo 607 and then another HDMI cable to my Samsung LN52B750.

I'm going to try to bypass my receiver tonight to see if I can get it to work at all, then start adding components to the pipeline to see if I can identify the issue.

Has anyone gotten any resolution to this? Brighthouse has been essentially useless. Their proposed solution seems to be a box swap for everything .

I was able to reproduce the issue w/ just the DVR and the TV (connected w/ multiple HDMI cables in all HDMI ports)

I called the cable company (Brighthouse Networks) for the 5th time and they assured me there was nothing wrong w/ the box, and there is nothing the can do. It was certainly an issue w/ the TV. Then I called Samsung, and according to them, there is no conceivable way it could be an issue w/ the TV.

Can't say I'm really surprised to be punted back and forth. I'm curious to see if anyone gets this resolved.
post #28 of 418 Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchdownVeejus View Post

I was able to reproduce the issue w/ just the DVR and the TV (connected w/ multiple HDMI cables in all HDMI ports)

I called the cable company (Brighthouse Networks) for the 5th time and they assured me there was nothing wrong w/ the box, and there is nothing the can do. It was certainly an issue w/ the TV. Then I called Samsung, and according to them, there is no conceivable way it could be an issue w/ the TV.

Can't say I'm really surprised to be punted back and forth. I'm curious to see if anyone gets this resolved.

I have tested my box now, and mine does the same thing. I have added a huge note about it at the top of this thread. We need everyone calling their cable company so as to get this resolved ASAP!

I also happen to have a Samsung HL67A750 67" TV, I wonder if this is a Samsung only issue, can anyone confirm/deny?

Quote:

The issue i'm having though I didn't have with the 8300hdc 4:3 guide. With that box when the screensaver came on the side bars were filled in black so the whole screen was black with a blue TWC logo that moved around periodically, on this box the middle of the screen (the 4:3 section) of the screensaver is black with the moving logo but the outside where the normal black bars go when watching un-stretched 4:3 material has no screen saver at all and you can still see what is paused. It just seems wierd to me and if left that way for extremly long period of time could cause some sort of screen damage I expect. I was just wondering if anyone else had the problem. As of today still no upgrade from TWC not sure why I got the call last week could have been a mistake I guess.

I had the 8300HD, not the 8300HDC. But that SS problem is the same, mine was always 4:3. You are half correct though; my sister has the 8300HDC which still only has a 4:3 SS, it just also makes the sides black. You will notice the logo never went outside of the 4:3 section of the screen.
post #29 of 418 Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

try hooking the box up with component cables....I bet the 1080 problem goes away....this proves its an HDMI issue
for now I'll hold onto my 8300HDC even though I hate the silver color and small HD
post #30 of 418 Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs386 View Post

try hooking the box up with component cables....I bet the 1080 problem goes away....this proves its an HDMI issue
for now I'll hold onto my 8300HDC even though I hate the silver color and small HD

Has anyone checked that to be sure yet?

It doesn't matter for those who want/need HDMI, but it certainly may help many.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page