Cisco 8640HDC HD-DVR with Western Digital My DVR Expander Model No. WDG1S10000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bright House in Central FL just installed a Cisco Explorer 8640HDC DVR. Has anyone connected a Western Digital My DVR Expander Model No. WDG1S10000 (1TB) to this DVR? If so, did you have any compatibility issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM

I just tried with an Apricon ADVRE-1000 DVR eXpander, 1TB and no luck. Doesn't recognize it. Looks like Brighthouse hasn't enabled it on the Cisco box. I am in Orlando, FL.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-27-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It appears that the WD Expander may not support your 8640 model.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=609
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Unfortunately, non of the new OCAP boxes will work with ESATA drives. I live in Dayton, Ohio and the only way I can get increase the recording capacity of the 8640 is by replacing the internal drive with ITB WD Caviar Black drive. It works fine, have no problems with it. I think the picture quality of the old HD SA 8300 is much better than what I am getting with Cisco 8640. Does anyone know how can I improve the pq of 8640?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 AM

How would one replace the internal drive?

I know how to physically but will the box reformat the drive and make it available for usages.

And doesn't opening up the box get you in trouble with the cable company?

I always wondered if it was possible to just change the internal drive and skip the external drive process because I had a feeling the cable companies are cracking down on us attaching external drives (why they would mind is another question).

I have two 8300HD's and one was giving me trouble with the external drive, so I swapped out the box for an 8300HDC (I kept the other box the same, 8300HD, since that was working).

I had trouble with the 8300HDC, so I went back and did another swap and the clerk was nice enough to let me get one of the first of the new 8640HDC's from Cisco (she said I was the first one to get this batch of new boxes, I'm not sure if she was telling me the truth).

It's funny, however, there are more vent holes on the top and it's interesting that they are using simple 'CableCards' to get the connection. They have two slots on the back to insert 'cablecards', which there are two (for the two tuners).

But when I added my external drive, the box acted like nothing was plugged into it. So I was about to run some test to find out way.

Now I read that they turned off the eSata port.

Man, that sucks!

So this new internal drive swap sounds interesting and maybe I will try it, but I'm concerned about getting in trouble for opening the box.

And if it will automatically take a drive and set it up for usage automatically without me having to do anything, except putting in a drive that it will recognize. So I would need a list of supported drives and there top size that I can put in.

Thanks to all!

Rob

PS Or should I just go back to my 8300HD and get back my external eSATA port and make it easier and safer for myself!

Decisions, decisions, I don't like making these kind of decisions! LOL!

rlanza1054 Astoria Queens NYC

Time Warner, SA8300HDC, Mystro
Success with external Western Digital Caviar SE 16MB 500GB Model#: WD5000
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM

i live in kansas city mo we just got the new cisco explorer 8640hdcs and i was told that it only supported up to a 500gb esata hard drive and only wd and seagate hds would work on it but i was also told by a repp that the cisco explorer 8640hdc had a 320gig hard drive but the tech that came out to my apt this moring told me it only had a 160 gig hard drive just like the sa explorer 8300hdc he told me that only the new samsung hd dvr boxes had 320 gig and 580gig hard drives so i dont know who is telling the truth about the cisco 8640hdc the repp i spoke with on the phone or the tech tahat had the box on his truck but i did see in ciscos online manuel for the box it did have to hard drive choces 160 and 320 so maybe time warner does have the ones with the 320 gig hard drives i sure would like to know witch esata hard drive will work with my cisco explorer 8640 hdc b4 i go out and buy one
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM

I was also just told by Time Warner Cincinnati that the Cisco 8640 HDC box only supports up to 500 GB esata drives. Problem is that I bought a 1 TB WD DVR Expander. Has anyone ever paritioned a larger drive to get it under 500GB and had it work on a DVR?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcak47mopr View Post

i live in kansas city mo we just got the new cisco explorer 8640hdcs and i was told that it only supported up to a 500gb esata hard drive and only wd and seagate hds would work on it but i was also told by a repp that the cisco explorer 8640hdc had a 320gig hard drive but the tech that came out to my apt this moring told me it only had a 160 gig hard drive just like the sa explorer 8300hdc he told me that only the new samsung hd dvr boxes had 320 gig and 580gig hard drives so i dont know who is telling the truth about the cisco 8640hdc the repp i spoke with on the phone or the tech tahat had the box on his truck but i did see in ciscos online manuel for the box it did have to hard drive choces 160 and 320 so maybe time warner does have the ones with the 320 gig hard drives i sure would like to know witch esata hard drive will work with my cisco explorer 8640 hdc b4 i go out and buy one

The size of the DVR HDD will be listed in the DVR's diagnostic section.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page