Comcast Notice to Tivo customers 1/30/10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear TiVo Customer,

Comcast Cable is transitioning to an all-digital cable network. With all-digital cable, extended basic cable channels will be broadcast only in a digital format and will require a cable box to be viewed. However, basic cable channels, which include your local network channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC will continue to be broadcast in analog format.

As a valued TiVo customer, we want to make sure you are well informed about how this change may affect you.

Will the transition affect your TV viewing?
You will need to get a cable box from Comcast to continue receiving all the channels you are currently able to watch. In most areas, Comcast is providing each customer one free digital cable box per household. All you have to do is connect your TiVo DVR to the Comcast digital cable box to continue to use your TiVo DVR.

IMPORTANT: Comcast may offer you a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA), but this device does not allow dual-tuning on the Series2 Dual Tuner DVR. Instead, you should request a digital cable box.

After installing a digital cable box from Comcast, how will your TiVo recording functionality be affected?
Your TiVo Series2 Dual Tuner DVR will continue to be able to dual-tune one digital channel and one analog/basic channel at a time or two analog/basic channels at the same time. Comcast can provide you with its new analog and digital channel lineups.

To learn more about Comcast's all-digital transition and to learn about upgrade options that will enable you to record two digital channels at the same time, please visit our Support Page.

Thanks for being a valued TiVo customer!

Your friends at TiVo

I love a good gadget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Liked: 11
This is a notice that TiVo puts out as they get word from Comcast that Project Calvary is reaching a specific area of their service footprint.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have a TivoHD with a CableCard, then it's nothing to worry about. This letter is sent out when prepares to eliminate their analog cable channels and move them to encrypted digital (requiring a cable box or CableCard to receive).
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Stupid question I should search for the answer but thought I'd ask anyways.
My Sony XBR has a QAM tuner which receives only the locals over QAM.
Will this continue to function or will the bloody comcast toads start encrypting the HD local channels? (I hope not, thought I have 3 Series 3's and a Comcast 3416 DVR).
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Stupid question I should search for the answer but thought I'd ask anyways.
My Sony XBR has a QAM tuner which receives only the locals over QAM.
Will this continue to function or will the bloody comcast toads start encrypting the HD local channels? (I hope not, thought I have 3 Series 3's and a Comcast 3416 DVR).

Comcast is not encrypting the locals, so you'll continue to receive those with your Sony. You just won't receive channels like CNN, Fox News, TNT, USA, AMC, and ESPN on the Sony. Those will require either a cable box or a CableCard.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Comcast is not encrypting the locals, so you'll continue to receive those with your Sony. You just won't receive channels like CNN, Fox News, TNT, USA, AMC, and ESPN on the Sony. Those will require either a cable box or a CableCard.

Thats what I was hoping for. Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is only of concern for SD TiVo users.

Topic closed.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page