Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2002, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
tji
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been looking for a video camera with good picture quality, that integrates well into my HDTV equipment. Ideally, I would like something capable of true 16:9, and 480p or higher output.

I noticed that Sony is now marketing a few units that do MPEG2 video. For example: http://www.sonystyle.com/digitalimag...ture_IP5.shtml

Obviously, that's the same compression technology as used in DVD's and HDTV. But, does that buy an HDTV user anything? Can I burn my own DVD movies? Does this make it easier to do 480p output?

Are we any closer to a consumer ED/HD camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by tji

Obviously, that's the same compression technology as used in DVD's and HDTV. But, does that buy an HDTV user anything? Can I burn my own DVD movies?
If you can get the MPEG stream off the tape in digital format, it may be possible to use it directly with DVD authoring tools without recomression. It would depend on whether the camera streams are DVD compliant.

Interestingly enough, the ATSC stream off our local KICU station's broadcast (SDTV 4:3 480i) actually seems to be DVD compliant MPEG2 video... :)

Cheers!
DAve.