HD Tuner Terminology - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please explain the proper terms used when buying a HD Tuner/ Cable card that would idetify the ones which are addressable by Comcast so they can be registered on their cable to receive premium channels?

I have several great cards, but I understand that there is a new breeed of card that can be addressed by your cable providor to receive and record HBO, Showtime and the like. I want to dum my HD Tivo because I have had three failed units in three years. I'm getting tired of having to pay Tivo to replace them.

If you know of the top selling model of card for this task, that would be great to know as well.
I have the HD Home run, and several other great tuners, but my interest is to expand into premium channel recording so I can cancel the Tivo contract when they expire in a few months.

Oh, and I will use this with Windows 7 Media Center. I fin that it works pretty well. I also have Beyond TV, and Beyon Media licenses.

Thanks, Joe

I love a good gadget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The product will usually specify CableCard in the description. The product may also describe itself as OCUR or MOCUR.

At this time, there is only one CableCard product for use in computers -- the ATI Digital Cable Tuner -- and it is discontinued. That product sold for $200-$250 and featured a single tuner to record one encrypted cable channel when authorized with a CableCard.

Ceton plans to ship its new quad-tuner CableCard PCIe card for $399 by March 31. This product will support four tuners with a single CableCard.

SiliconDust plans to ship a CableCard version of its popular HDHomerun network tuner for $249 around mid-year. This product will support two tuners with a single CableCard.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page