Using the tools provided by Leszek, JPELL and others, this morning I successfully converted part of a DVD to a transport stream and recorded it to a Panasonic D-VHS deck. Then played it back with a DST-50 tuner at 1080i with DD 5.1 audio.
The bad news - it was a cumbersome process and playback lasted only 1-2 seconds before breaking up and freezing. But, at least it can be done.
The process I used was
1. Rip a vob to hard drive (completely legal copy of which I have paid for rights, of course - so calm down)
2. Graphedit to extract and dump MPEG2 video to one file and AC3 audio to another
3. Manzanita MPEG to Transport Stream Demohttp://www.lilapple.com/products/mp2tsa_request.htm
to multiplex the video and audio to a transport stream (10 seconds maximum in the demo)
4. graphedit with Leszek's filter to transfer this transport stream to Panasonic D-VHS
5. DST-50 to play back from tape
I'm unable to get reliable pc to D-VHS transfers with any streams so far. Maybe someone who already has reliable HD streams going back and forth would have better success with DVD like this.
I'm sure there is an easier way to do this. Please post your ideas.