post #3241 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Another one bites the dust: I noticed that "Pandora" has been pulled down just after is was supposedly updated and "improved." Never used it, but still .... ("Fandango" was disappeared before the holidays.)

I hope it comes back for you. I had two logos, but after losing one logo and doing a login on the new one it's still working. "Improved", like "new" Coke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I hope it comes back for you. I had two logos, but after losing one logo and doing a login on the new one it's still working. "Improved", like "new" Coke.

Interesting ... perhaps it's just taking forever to update due to my increasingly flakey interweb connection.

OTOH, The youtube app as apparently updated at least 2 times since the omnibus fall update.
post #3243 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting ... perhaps it's just taking forever to update due to my increasingly flakey interweb connection.

OTOH, The youtube app as apparently updated at least 2 times since the omnibus fall update.

Seems to be a few changes that we learn about by accident.

post #3244 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Hit your TiVo button on your remote and when you enter TiVo Central hit Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play and the TiVo menu system will reboot. The Pandora App should reappear. I did not notice last night that I was missing the Pandora App and while I was in TiVo Central the menu system rebooted itself and the new Pandora App appeared. I also notice that the icon for the Opera App Store changed to a white bag with a mall red O on it. It used to be just a large red O. I had to manually reboot the TiVo menu system on my TiVo upstairs.
If this does not work then force a connection to the TiVo service then reboot the TiVo menu system. If still not luck you should contact Margret by email and she will manually push the update to your box.

On a side not I did not have any black screen menus last night even after watching and deleting two recordings.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #3245 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

Given identical h/w, which would you say is best and fastest for just file transfer. I use Desktop frequently and I felt the transfer from wireless to wireless was pretty quick. Now one is wired to the router and the transfer speed seems much slower. I have used kmttg to check bit rates but not for file transfer.
I have both running and was once a big Desktop fan, but that has changed. For downloads I now prefer kmttg exclusively. Desktop has not been updated in like forever whereas kmttg is still in active development. It is pretty crappy that you have to download an app to patch a script in Desktop to fix the date problem so it will work, when all they need to do is update the release version to fix it. kmttg was updated within days of the problem. The real issue was, I started to run into some problems with Roamio and Desktop that frequently resulted in corrupted transfers that would crash Video ReDo -- this never happened with Desktop and my TiVo HD. I would then use kmttg on the same recordings and get perfect transfers. It is also quite handy that kmttg can send a remote delete command down the wire so from my PC I can send the file to the trash on the TiVo after the transfer. I don't know if kmttg is any faster but it generally takes no more than 12-13 min to transfer a 1 hr recording (~6.5GB on CBS).

I still use Desktop running as a server on my Media-PC so I can easily access the recordings on the server from the TiVo's playlist. That seems to work fine so far and is very convenient. Besides VRD needs Desktop installed so it can access the .tivo file decrypter. Yes, kmttg can also decrypt but it does so by creating a .mpg that loses all the .tivo meta data. With Desktop running, VRD can decrypt the .tivo file and save the edited file as .tivo with all meta-data intact.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3246 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Eh, would I need to transfer shows before canceling cable? I know you can still watch recordings when cable is gone, but does there have to be an activated cable card for transferring or is any copyright info in the programs themselves?

My TiVo is 98% full and after today will be 100% full, so I sure can't transfer much of it quickly and I don't even have room to put much of it on here anyway. I would just have to transfer the most important shows, I guess.
post #3247 of 3371 Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Hit your TiVo button on your remote and when you enter ...

I did another "Restart" (from the help menu) this evening and "Pandora" reappeared along with a few more "new" apps (Moviefone, OperaTV Store ... TechCrunch?)

I guess the third time was charmed. smile.gif ... Now if only there were some way to have the "Moviefone" app actually retrieve local theater showtimes ....
post #3248 of 3371 Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

About that "Black Menu Screen Bug:"

1) I noticed that at some point after the Fall Update, the HD-Menus no longer switched the resolution to 720p, and now stays on whatever resolution is used by the active channel (assuming it's 720p or 1080i.)

2) I'm pretty sure the black menu bug arrived around the same time as this change.

3) I had a black menu screen event this AM, just from pressing "TiVo" button to call up the TiVo Central. My previous "fix" (zoom, live-tv or guide buttons) would not clear the issue. However, once I switched to a 720p signal (local FOX) and then back to the previous 1080i (CBS) signal the issue "cleared" and the menus were visible once again.

Don't know if this helps with causality, but perhaps it narrows down the general vicinity of the bug. .... Mileage may vary.
post #3249 of 3371 Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 AM

So nobody knows if I can still transfer shows after canceling cable? I don't want to cancel and then my shows be locked to the device, but I also don't want to be paying for cable when I have directv. And obviously I don't have room to move them all to my comp and it would take forever if I did have room, so I really would ened to do it over time.

I really highly doubt people in here are even right that I could play the shows after transferring the TiVo, anyway. You play them THROUGH TiVo desktop, so I'm sure it will give errors once the license is transferred.
post #3250 of 3371 Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 AM

I'm going to assume really canceling won't make a difference, as I would assume the only thing the cable co. would do if copyrighting is it would be right in the show, so the only real issue I assume will be I can't watch anything once transferring my license.
post #3251 of 3371 Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

So nobody knows if I can still transfer shows after canceling cable? I don't want to cancel and then my shows be locked to the device, but I also don't want to be paying for cable when I have directv. And obviously I don't have room to move them all to my comp and it would take forever if I did have room, so I really would ened to do it over time.

I really highly doubt people in here are even right that I could play the shows after transferring the TiVo, anyway. You play them THROUGH TiVo desktop, so I'm sure it will give errors once the license is transferred.

I can tell you this. When I had Comcast, any recordings I had I could still view and transfer(if it wasn't restricted) after I left Comcast. As long as the MAK(Media Access Key) is the same for the TiVos and in TiVo Desktop and the recorded content allows trasnfers, you can transfer the content back and forth between TiVo Desktop and the TiVos.

Even with a two tuner Premiere and a cable card. Once it's recorded it's fine. I can remove the cable card and still transfer the content to Tivo Desktop or another TiVo for viewing.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3252 of 3371 Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks. I figured that would probably be the case, but I bet once I transfer the TiVo I can't watch it anymore. So that sucks. I really wouldn't need to transfer them, if selling the TiVo, I guess.
post #3253 of 3371 Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks. I figured that would probably be the case, but I bet once I transfer the TiVo I can't watch it anymore. So that sucks. I really wouldn't need to transfer them, if selling the TiVo, I guess.

As long as you transfer the recordings to your PC, before you cancel or transfer your TiVo subscription.

Both kmttg and pytivo can decrypt the recordings into standard MPEG format, which you can keep and watch forever.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3254 of 3371 Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Techinally you don't need to decrypt anything: you're just remuxing from TiVo's proprietary container to a standard MPEG one. Decryption is performed by the CableCard, and if your programs are flagged as copy-once, you won't be able to transfer them to the PC at all, AFAIK.
post #3255 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 AM

Only problem is it would take forever to transfer them. Let's say I only want to keep some episodes of this one show I have on there (not the type you can buy), well that's 30 hours of HD content just for that ONE show. I would say as a minimum of what I would want to transfer it's going to be probably 100 hours of shows so I would have to not only free up space, but transfer a little over time, I guess. I wonder if my TiVo value will go up or down over time. If they truly stop making hardware, I assume it will go up, being the second to last one made. I still don't understand how in the world the prices are as low as they are, even now, though. People pay $150 for this TiVo WITHOUT license, used. Yet they only pay $500 or les WITH license. The license should be worth the whole amount paid for it, as it is not any less valuable than when I bought the license! So that means it SHOULD be worth $400-$500 right there and then the $150 people pay for the TiVo. So really people are wrong that buying lifetime license adds more value in the future. You're actually still losing money from the license as well.
post #3256 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Damn, where's that thumbs down button. Sorely needed here.
kwg likes this.
post #3257 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Damn, where's that thumbs down button. Sorely needed here.

Someone we know has both of them firmly lodged up his you-know-what.:D 

post #3258 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did another "Restart" (from the help menu) this evening and "Pandora" reappeared along with a few more "new" apps (Moviefone, OperaTV Store ... TechCrunch?)

I guess the third time was charmed. smile.gif ... Now if only there were some way to have the "Moviefone" app actually retrieve local theater showtimes ....

I did not realize that the Pandora App was missing until my UI automatically rebooted while I was in TiVo Central on Friday night. When the UI returned the new Pandora App was present and the Opera app was changed. I had to manually restart my upstairs TiVo for the Pandora App to appear.

I do believe if somebody made an App that it will be possible to retrieve local theater show times. They would just have to add it to the App store or to the Movie Fone App.

I do believe there is going to be a spring update for the Premieres which will give us the Roamio menu system. This might also eliminate the SD menu system. Once the menu system is completely HD this will reduce/eliminate the black menu bug and as you stated in another post is caused by the menu system to stay at the resolution of the HD channel you were tuned to. If the resolution changes while in the menu system, most of the time the HDMI handshake fails and the menu will go black. Making the menu system all HD will fix this.

post #3259 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I did not realize that the Pandora App was missing until my UI automatically rebooted while I was in TiVo Central on Friday night. When the UI returned the new Pandora App was present and the Opera app was changed. I had to manually restart my upstairs TiVo for the Pandora App to appear.

Friday I tried to delete some old programs from the Recently Deleted folder. It let me get to the final "ok", then ignored me when I hit the select button. I tried various ways to delete the programs, but I was ignored. I finally pulled the plug and when it came up the function was restored. However I had lost both Pandora and Opera. I left it sit until Saturday. Another power plug reset - no icons. This morning I was going to do the software reset, but decided to pull the plug again. When it came up I had Pandora (it remembered my login), the new icon for Opera, and the update for MovieFone and TechCrunch. It's a nice box when it works.

post #3260 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Friday I tried to delete some old programs from the Recently Deleted folder. It let me get to the final "ok", then ignored me when I hit the select button. I tried various ways to delete the programs, but I was ignored. I finally pulled the plug and when it came up the function was restored. However I had lost both Pandora and Opera. I left it sit until Saturday. Another power plug reset - no icons. This morning I was going to do the software reset, but decided to pull the plug again. When it came up I had Pandora (it remembered my login), the new icon for Opera, and the update for MovieFone and TechCrunch. It's a nice box when it works.

I almost theoretically made a bowel movement in my pants when my downstairs TiVo's menu rebooted automatically as I never had that happen. I thought something failed as I usually have this experience with various pieces of equipment over the past ten years. I had to reboot my main computer last night because I tried to render music from my computer to my Onkyo receiver but the Onkyo would not show up in the Play To section of WMP. I think I might reboot my network and hardware today to flush out any bugs that may have accumulated. I have 9 devices networked right now and I have 5 switches and one router in my network.

post #3261 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM

My HDD is so full there is nothing left in recently deleted and it's 100% full, so I got the most out of it before moving on.
post #3262 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I wonder if my TiVo value will go up or down over time.
Down.
The release of a 4-tuner Roamio for the price the Premier was selling for when it released has knocked the pins out of the resale market for 2-tuner TiVo DVRs. You better act quickly before used Roamios hit eBay.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3263 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Down.
The release of a 4-tuner Roamio for the price the Premier was selling for when it released has knocked the pins out of the resale market for 2-tuner TiVo DVRs. You better act quickly before used Roamios hit eBay.

The thing is a Roamio can't necessarily replace a Premiere. A two tuner Premiere can tune OTA and cable at the same time. While a four tuner Roamio can only do one or the other. Not both at the same time.

post #3264 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM

I don't have a 2 tuner. I have an XL4.
post #3265 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Lifetime XL4 units are still going for between $450 and $550 on ebay. Or you can sell them for less here or at TiVo community. When the Roamio first came out I sold one Elite on this forum and one on TiVo community. I don't mind selling them for less on the forums because it's less of a hassle and you don't have the extra 10% ebay fee to deal with either.

post #3266 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The thing is a Roamio can't necessarily replace a Premiere. A two tuner Premiere can tune OTA and cable at the same time. While a four tuner Roamio can only do one or the other. Not both at the same time.

Exactly. For people that use both Cable and OTA on a daily basis, I'm sorry to say the Roamio is rubbish . . . rolleyes.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #3267 of 3371 Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Exactly. For people that use both Cable and OTA on a daily basis, I'm sorry to say the Roamio is rubbish . . . rolleyes.gif

Well not really. You just have one Roamio for OTA and a other Roamio for cable. I have a Roamio Pro on FiOS and a Roamio Basic for OTA. Although the main reason for my Roamio Basic is that I use it to bring content with me to my GFs house. But the OTA is also a backup to FiOS.

post #3268 of 3371 Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 AM

Too bad FIOS isn't available here, because I've already heard great things about them and was always happy with Verizon's service for phone.
post #3269 of 3371 Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 AM

Anyone ever going to answer me as to the best way of watching shows after I do transfer them to a computer (as in watching them AFTER I no longer own the TiVo)? Surely any method possible will be worse quality for HD shows than when still on the TiVo. But I guess the main thing is I just care about not losing some shows which will never be on again, such as Leno.
post #3270 of 3371 Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No reply at all
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page