post #3301 of 3371 Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Just tried again, and, when I try to link with TiVo, it won't connect. At one time, I was linked with TiVo, but that no longer seems to be the case.

EDIT: This is the error message I get -- "Sorry, but we encountered an error while processing your request. Please try again later. "

I have a TiVo account and Zap2It account. Both of my TiVos show when I try to schedule a show. I can't seem to duplicate your error, sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3371 Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I got a new (actually my very 1st eek.gif ) BluRay player a few days ago. For a quick 'n dirty calibration tool I thought of transferring the THX Optimizer from one of my TiVo's via kmttg, to copy to a DVD, to play in the BluRay (hopefully still as a hi-def file). But when I try the kmttg transfer from the TiVo it ends very quickly and I end up with a 4-kbyte file. Does this mean the file on the TiVo is copy protected?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #3303 of 3371 Old 04-20-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The THX Optimizer Video is not transferable, even though it appears you can, (It is not marked as copy protected)

You can play it on another TiVo or Mini using MRS, but that is it.

Even if you Delete it or do Clear & Delete Everything, there is no way to get it back. I always thought TiVo should have a way to re-download it for THX Certified XL and XL4s

TiVo dropped THX Certification with the Roamio line.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3304 of 3371 Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I tried the same thing you did...with the same result.. Look around the forum for the image of AVS calibration disk. The one I have is called AVCHD-v1_3.iso.
post #3305 of 3371 Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Thread Ender

Bryan... thanks for the info, and Hyrax thanks for the tip about the AVS Calibration disk. I found the thread and downloaded the files. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out tonight. smile.gif

They consider

post #3306 of 3371 Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Thread Ender

The NCAA Super Regional game TCU vs. Pepperdine had been scheduled for 5pm CDT today on ESPNU (barf!).

They've moved the game to ESPN2 smile.gif.. but the TiVo schedule has not yet been updated (I forced a fresh connect/download to check).

I've scheduled recordings on both ESPNU (which shows the game in the current TiVo listings) and ESPN2 (which still shows a different game in the TiVo listings).

Will either recording execute if the listings update in the meantime? Will either recording execute if there are no TiVo updates? What's the best way to be sure I get the recording I want, with the correct title on the recording?

They consider

post #3307 of 3371 Old 06-08-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The NCAA Super Regional game TCU vs. Pepperdine had been scheduled for 5pm CDT today on ESPNU (barf!).

They've moved the game to ESPN2 smile.gif.. but the TiVo schedule has not yet been updated (I forced a fresh connect/download to check).

I've scheduled recordings on both ESPNU (which shows the game in the current TiVo listings) and ESPN2 (which still shows a different game in the TiVo listings).

Will either recording execute if the listings update in the meantime? Will either recording execute if there are no TiVo updates? What's the best way to be sure I get the recording I want, with the correct title on the recording?

Set a manual recording on both channels. Then it won't matter what the guide says the content is.
post #3308 of 3371 Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Set a manual recording on both channels. Then it won't matter what the guide says the content is.

Yes, I understand that is an option. But that won't get the proper title on the recording, willit?

They consider

post #3309 of 3371 Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Yes, I understand that is an option. But that won't get the proper title on the recording, willit?

Perhaps not, but at least they'll record. The title will be "Manual: XXXXXXXX," where XXXXXXXX = whatever title is in the guide at the time the program records ... sometimes more than one title, if the recording spans more than one "program" slot.
post #3310 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How long does it take TiVO to get its act together and update its guide?.... my cable system [TWC-NYC] just did a total restructuring of their guide which is reflected on their boxes immediately; [as well as future recordings are changed to new channel locations; I wonder if my roamio will even do that or will I have to spend a chunk of life deleting from Season Pass and redoing the same programs or doing manual records
Does it take a day or two... or never.?
post #3311 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've no idea how long they'll take for a guide update. They get their data from another company and it sometime takes awhile. My advise is to call them and ask them. However, I have had some experience with season passes and guide changes. Last fall one of my shows moved from one station to another. I had to manually edit my season pass. Now, your situation is different (your station is moving - the shows are not) so you may not need to do anything.

If you do need to change your season passes, there is a great computer program called kmttg that allows you to edit season passes a lot easier than it is on your Tivo. Get it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/ or read about it at
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387725
post #3312 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

How long does it take TiVO to get its act together and update its guide?.... my cable system [TWC-NYC] just did a total restructuring of their guide which is reflected on their boxes immediately; [as well as future recordings are changed to new channel locations; I wonder if my roamio will even do that or will I have to spend a chunk of life deleting from Season Pass and redoing the same programs or doing manual records

Never, if nobody tells TiVo. There is a form on the TiVo web site to report changes or errors in the guide. It has been reported that the guide is updated once daily but I can't prove that. I do know that the guide "day" ends for me at 3pm and does not do "rolling" updates.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/386

post #3313 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It has been reported that the guide is updated once daily but I can't prove that.
Yes it is once daily but it is not spaced 24 hr apart. It is an irregular offset that varies the interval by a couple hours. On the setting screen where you can force an update connection, it tells you the date/time of the last update and the date/time of the next scheduled update.

Aside from that it appears to "phone home" on a regular basis to pick up any important notifications. If I schedule a recording on-line from my office, it usually appears in my ToDo list within an hour.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3314 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
When the channel numbers change and are reflected in the guide data, the season passes will automatically record from the new channel number. Although the season pass will still show the old channel number. At least that was the case the last time I had a channel number change with a season pass on that channel.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3315 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

If it's a major change, you will probably have to do a guided setup for the channels. Early in the process it will ask if you get certain channels. Keep saying no or I don't know. It will then offer some alternative lineups. One should be a rebuild. Choose it. It should now show the new lineup and you will have to check off the channels you receive and want on your TiVo.
post #3316 of 3371 Old 06-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

If it's a major change, you will probably have to do a guided setup for the channels. Early in the process it will ask if you get certain channels. Keep saying no or I don't know. It will then offer some alternative lineups. One should be a rebuild. Choose it. It should now show the new lineup and you will have to check off the channels you receive and want on your TiVo.

Yeah its a super major change, pretty much all channels were moved around [ie HBO used to be in the 600's now its 500 and basic cable were also switched to differing numbers so when I manual record something the description says something else ... might have to go thru another guided setup unless Tivo changes it in the next day or so... I've had the machine since X-mas so its still kind of new for me, I'll try doing a chat on their website tomorrow or call I hope I just don't have to swap out cable cards I hate going to TWC hell on 23rd street mad.gif
post #3317 of 3371 Old 06-11-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Rerun guided setup and see if there's a new lineup, that's probably the fix. We went through the same thing a few years ago when Comcast did a digital rebuild.
post #3318 of 3371 Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Rerun guided setup and see if there's a new lineup, that's probably the fix. We went through the same thing a few years ago when Comcast did a digital rebuild.
Yes, trust us, you will need to do this. It's painless.
post #3319 of 3371 Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Thumbs down As big a pain in the ass as the 'new' AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
Yes, trust us, you will need to do this. It's painless.
Re-doing Season Passes for almost two hours ain't painless
post #3320 of 3371 Old 06-12-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post
Re-doing Season Passes for almost two hours ain't painless
No reason to redo season passes. They largely take care of themselves. The only thing you MAY have to do is switch a season pass from an SD channel that now has an HD alternate. I wouldn't have said it is painless if it wasn't.
post #3321 of 3371 Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
No reason to redo season passes. They largely take care of themselves. The only thing you MAY have to do is switch a season pass from an SD channel that now has an HD alternate. I wouldn't have said it is painless if it wasn't.
Nope, after redoing guided setup and getting the new guide all season passes did not "take care of themselves" [waited two days to see if it would-] ie: a program would 'record' on 704 NBC-HD but nothing got recorded because of course it has no signal.Going thru the Season Pass Manager I was able to "Get another Season Pass" for now just plain ch 4 which is the only NBC station [no seperate SD/HD] at least it kept the original number of eps and settings like recording a minute or two past the end of a program.

If there is a different way to do it you should post it so others can do it as TWC keeps rolling the channel linups by neighborhoods/boroughs.
post #3322 of 3371 Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry it's not painless for SPs, but if you want the correct channel lineup it's the only way to go. Fortunately it's a very rare thing to do.
post #3323 of 3371 Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post
Nope, after redoing guided setup and getting the new guide all season passes did not "take care of themselves" [waited two days to see if it would-] ie: a program would 'record' on 704 NBC-HD but nothing got recorded because of course it has no signal.Going thru the Season Pass Manager I was able to "Get another Season Pass" for now just plain ch 4 which is the only NBC station [no seperate SD/HD] at least it kept the original number of eps and settings like recording a minute or two past the end of a program.

If there is a different way to do it you should post it so others can do it as TWC keeps rolling the channel linups by neighborhoods/boroughs.
I apologize. Most of my channels stayed the same. The premiums were all changed as well as a few others, but all the broadcast channels remained the same. For whatever reasons, nearly all of my season passes were changed automatically.
post #3324 of 3371 Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cable Charges

I don't know how to consolidate 6 hours on the phone with Comcast, but I'll try. The quick question is, does anyone get charged by the cable company for using their Tivo?

I live in the Phila. area and have 2 Tivos. One 2 channel and one 4 channel. The cable company wants to charge me $9.95 a month for "service" to the SECOND Tivo. They say the first one is free. I say they're confusing that with the cable card charges where the first one if free and the second one is $1.50/month in this area. They say it comes under an additional outlet. I say I'm not using their equipment. It goes on and on, but I don't understand how they can charge you for equipment that YOU own. They say that's their new policy.

Any ideas where I can go for any kind of legal references? I'm pretty frustrated and fed up with the cable company, but I've taken this up to the corporate level and they're sticking by their guns and continuing to charge me a monthly fee for the service to my Tivo as an additional outlet.
post #3325 of 3371 Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post
I don't know how to consolidate 6 hours on the phone with Comcast, but I'll try. The quick question is, does anyone get charged by the cable company for using their Tivo?

I live in the Phila. area and have 2 Tivos. One 2 channel and one 4 channel. The cable company wants to charge me $9.95 a month for "service" to the SECOND Tivo. They say the first one is free. I say they're confusing that with the cable card charges where the first one if free and the second one is $1.50/month in this area. They say it comes under an additional outlet.
Welcome to cable's realization of their grand design to jack their revenue by charging you for each and every device that uses their service. That is where the additional outlet fee comes from. They don't care whose equipment you use. All they care about is that you are hooking another device up and so they are going to suck some more money from you. You have the notion that just because the cable comes to your house and you pay for service that it is like the phone company and you can put multiple extensions around the house for free all hooked to the same wire -- a house price for all you can eat. That notion is now false with cable and digital cable has enabled them. You need a cable card from them for the second TiVo so they know you are hooking up another device -- hence you pay. This is the real reason they wanted to encrypt all the local channels -- so you can't put a TV in the bedroom and decide that you are OK with just the clear QAM locals you can get from the TV's tuner -- a situation they cannot detect and therefore cannot charge you for.

Only way to get around this is to retire the 2-tuner TiVo and buy a TiVo mini which slaves off the 4-tuner TiVo. That way you only get one cable card and they have no idea how many mini's you have spread around the house. The mini will pay for itself in less than 2 yr.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3326 of 3371 Old 06-23-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny...since my last post I got an e-mail from Comcast confirming my "changes that I requested".

It seems that they're charging me for BOTH boxes with a $5.00 discount for customer owned equipment. It still jacks up my bill $15.00/month for using Tivo.

After a little on-line research, I found this on the FCC web site:

Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD ortuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using yourown digital-cable-ready television or set-top box

Just wondering if there's something that came out since this was released in 2011. This doesn't seem to agree with what the cable company is telling me.
post #3327 of 3371 Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Comcast is very inconsistent from market to market when it comes to charging the Additional Digital Outlet fee.

Some markets and packages get hit with it and some do not. There are several threads on TCF about this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...comcast+outlet

For comparison with Cox, I get charged:
1st CableCARD = $2.00 + $3.00 AdvancedTV fee
2nd CableCARD = $2.00 + 1.80 AdvancedTV fee (this will get bumped to $3 when my price-lock expires)
3rd CableCARD = $2.00 + 1.80 AdvancedTV fee (this will get bumped to $3 when my price-lock expires)

* Cox does not disclose the AdvancedTV fee anywhere in their pricing, other than the billing statement. This fee is also dependent on how old the account is and what sort of package bundle discount you are getting.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
post #3328 of 3371 Old 06-24-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Funny...since my last post I got an e-mail from Comcast confirming my "changes that I requested".

It seems that they're charging me for BOTH boxes with a $5.00 discount for customer owned equipment. It still jacks up my bill $15.00/month for using Tivo.
You should be paying $5 a month NET after credits for both boxes - first one is free, second has the bogus A/O charge minus your $5 credit. That is how mine works with 2 cards.

Feel free to file an FCC complaint (been there done that), they will get corporate to respond that it's within their rights and the FCC will just ignore it. But the more complaints the better.
post #3329 of 3371 Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Comcast is very inconsistent from market to market when it comes to charging the Additional Digital Outlet fee.

Some markets and packages get hit with it and some do not. There are several threads on TCF about this:

For comparison with Cox, I get charged:
1st CableCARD = $2.00 + $3.00 AdvancedTV fee
2nd CableCARD = $2.00 + 1.80 AdvancedTV fee (this will get bumped to $3 when my price-lock expires)
3rd CableCARD = $2.00 + 1.80 AdvancedTV fee (this will get bumped to $3 when my price-lock expires)

* Cox does not disclose the AdvancedTV fee anywhere in their pricing, other than the billing statement. This fee is also dependent on how old the account is and what sort of package bundle discount you are getting.
If ever there was an industry that needed a government mandate for transparency in billing it is the cable and telephone industry. Surcharges should not be hidden when they are already in effect when you are seeking pricing info.

I have FIOS at the curb yet I maintain my copper wire telephone/Internet service. Why? Because copper is regulated and FIOS is not. Verizon tries to lure me to FIOS on a weekly basis and I refuse. After the hard sales pitch for faster Internet and FIOS-TV, the conversation always goes like this:

"what is the monthly cost?"
"this much per month for 24 months"

"how much are the taxes and add-on surcharges?"
"I can't tell you, you will have to wait until you get your bill"

"how much after the 24 month promo?"
"I can't tell you, it depends on market pricing"

"NO, goodbye"

- kelson h

post #3330 of 3371 Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

After a little on-line research, I found this on the FCC web site:

Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD ortuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using yourown digital-cable-ready television or set-top box

Just wondering if there's something that came out since this was released in 2011. This doesn't seem to agree with what the cable company is telling me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
You should be paying $5 a month NET after credits for both boxes - first one is free, second has the bogus A/O charge minus your $5 credit. That is how mine works with 2 cards.
Slowbiscuit nailed it on what your net charges should be (although YMMV).

Comcast corp. is well aware that their billing practices are gouging the customer. Therefore, if you complaint enough (nicely) to the right people, it is relatively easy to obtain compensation in the form of temporary rebates or free add-on services for a limited time. I have repeatedly called Comcast's customer retention department (sometimes called "customer loyalty" or some similar title) regarding the $10 "additional digital outlet" charge and have been getting free HBO & SHO for at least the past two years. When the free "promotional" period is about to end, I just call in again and finagle another free period. I'm very happy paying an additional $5 p.m. in ADO fees in return for free HBO/SHO. Again, YMMV.

Last edited by chi_guy50; 06-27-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page