The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In all fairness to Comcast, I don't think I communicated the facts as well as I should have. I knew what was going on, but as far as they're concerned, I've had 4 of their boxes hooked up for the last 20 years. All of a sudden, I tell them that I have 2 Tivos. As far as they're concerned...I now have 2 additional outlets, or a total of 6 outlets. What I forgot to tell them was that I'm no longer using 2 of their DTA's. So I still have 4 outlets. I never returned the DTA's that aren't in use. I've already gotten the "official" notice of my upcoming bill change and when that happens, I'll contact them again AFTER I take back the 2 DTA's. That should eliminate the additional outlet charge since I'm actually replacing their equipment with my own and that's what the FCC specifically covers.

That being the case, my recommendation to anyone contemplating getting a Tivo would be to get a DTA first, then replace it with the new Tivo. It's a lot cheaper to establish a new connection for $1.95 a month and then replace their box then it would be to outright add a Tivo for the cost of a high def box. At least that's my theory. We'll see how it works out at the end of next month.

And yes...I'm very familiar with their customer retention department. They're actually a pleasure to talk with most times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post
In all fairness to Comcast, I don't think I communicated the facts as well as I should have. I knew what was going on, but as far as they're concerned, I've had 4 of their boxes hooked up for the last 20 years. All of a sudden, I tell them that I have 2 Tivos. As far as they're concerned...I now have 2 additional outlets, or a total of 6 outlets. What I forgot to tell them was that I'm no longer using 2 of their DTA's. So I still have 4 outlets. I never returned the DTA's that aren't in use. I've already gotten the "official" notice of my upcoming bill change and when that happens, I'll contact them again AFTER I take back the 2 DTA's. That should eliminate the additional outlet charge since I'm actually replacing their equipment with my own and that's what the FCC specifically covers.

That being the case, my recommendation to anyone contemplating getting a Tivo would be to get a DTA first, then replace it with the new Tivo. It's a lot cheaper to establish a new connection for $1.95 a month and then replace their box then it would be to outright add a Tivo for the cost of a high def box. At least that's my theory. We'll see how it works out at the end of next month.

And yes...I'm very familiar with their customer retention department. They're actually a pleasure to talk with most times.
I hope that your theory will pan out for you, but that's not how Comcast's billing scheme is structured. The $10 p.m. outlet fee is for any additional digital device (HD STB, DVR, CableCARD, etc.). The DTA is an analog device (it "adapts" the incoming digital signal to analog) and therefore carries a lower $2 p.m. charge; you can not swap a DTA for a CableCARD on your account and reasonably hope that your charges will not increase. Now, as has already been pointed out numerous times on this thread, Comcast's billing system is notoriously inconsistent and arcane, so as always YMMV.

The additional fees you are subject to are also a function of your subscription plan; e.g., if your rate includes a Comcast DVR but you are using your own TiVo in lieu of Comcast's equipment, then you should not be charged any additional CableCARD or digital outlet fees, and you are entitled to a customer-owned equipment (COE) credit of (typically) $2.50 per item.

Also, any fees, although assessed on a monthly basis, are prorated per diem; so if you are not using those two DTA's for which you are being assessed a separate monthly fee, you have a small financial incentive to turn them in right away rather than waiting for the next billing cycle.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
TiVo Summer SW Update 20.4.2

The Summer Premiere SW Update brings:
  • New Roamio Style UI to the Premieres and Minis
  • Big Improvement in HDUI Speed
  • New (optional) Categories to the My Shows list

http://www.tivo.com/serviceupdates

Here is a YouTube video of some of the new features:

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 07-09-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
The Summer Premiere SW Update brings:
  • New Roamio Style UI to the Premieres and Minis
  • Big Improvement in HDUI Speed
  • New (optional) Categories to the My Shows list

http://www.tivo.com/serviceupdates

Here is a YouTube video of some of the new features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmbXU4PlU
That looks good, Bryan. Thanks for sharing it, now I just have to wait to get the update.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post
That looks good, Bryan. Thanks for sharing it, now I just have to wait to get the update.

The big news is the change in the software language to haxe from Adobe Flash.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10171579

The Priority Update list is still up and running. Just put in your TSN.
http://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_2

This update is worth getting especially if you have Premieres. The speed increase in the HD menus is noticeable. The TiVo HD menus respond to the remote commands as fast as I can hit the buttons.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
The big news is the change in the software language to haxe from Adobe Flash.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10171579

The Priority Update list is still up and running. Just put in your TSN.
http://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_2

This update is worth getting especially if you have Premieres. The speed increase in the HD menus is noticeable. The TiVo HD menus respond to the remote commands as fast as I can hit the buttons.
Thanks, Jed1. I signed up with my TSN.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
LOVE the new interface. It's all the same, and it's snappy. Looks like Roamio

For some reason I can only get one of my two Tivos to download it though, after 10x force connecting on my second box.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
LOVE the new interface. It's all the same, and it's snappy. Looks like Roamio

For some reason I can only get one of my two Tivos to download it though, after 10x force connecting on my second box.
There's no point in forcing the service connection ... it ain't gonna update until TiVo HQ gives the green light for your box. I'm still waiting, BTW.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Is this just a Premier update we are talking about or will it apply to Roamio as well.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Is this just a Premier update we are talking about or will it apply to Roamio as well.
The Roamio and Mini got the updates as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The update is sweet, so much faster and smoother.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post
The update is sweet, so much faster and smoother.
agreed. This update pushed my upgrade "need" of 2 ota only premieres to a roamio and a mini by a few years. There is really no incentive for me to upgrade as of now.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got the update over weekend and it seems to work fine
I do not like that when selecting a show to record if it is on Netflix the option to go to Netflix comes up instead of just recording. It means extra keystrokes on the remote to just record the show OTA.
Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post
I got the update over weekend and it seems to work fine
I do not like that when selecting a show to record if it is on Netflix the option to go to Netflix comes up instead of just recording. It means extra keystrokes on the remote to just record the show OTA.
Dave
why are you recording things that you can watch on Netflix instantly?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Better picture quality? While streaming is nice I'd still prefer the quality of OTA HD. To me I'd think it was nice to point out it might on Netflix but maybe that could be an option that could be turned off? I also don't like extra keystrokes but personally in this case I'd probably be OK with it, others may not be.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Better picture quality? While streaming is nice I'd still prefer the quality of OTA HD. To me I'd think it was nice to point out it might on Netflix but maybe that could be an option that could be turned off? I also don't like extra keystrokes but personally in this case I'd probably be OK with it, others may not be.
Personally I think we passed the point of diminishing returns on human perceptibility between Netflix super HD and OTA HD awhile ago. But that's maybe a personal opinion. I do own a Kuro though, and I think it's pretty much moot in 2014.

edit: hmmmm.... 6,666 posts.

Last edited by b_scott; 08-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
why are you recording things that you can watch on Netflix instantly?
2 reasons
1. Reduce traffic on the in house DSL. I seldom stream anything and I am not looking to watch the video at the time I decide to record it. Why bother with the expense
of a DVR if you are going to stream everything anyway.
2. I do not want to have anything to do with Netflix. They are just like Time Warner, Comcast and the others. I cut the cable and went OTA to get away from those bums.

Dave
SimpleTheater likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post
2 reasons
1. Reduce traffic on the in house DSL. I seldom stream anything and I am not looking to watch the video at the time I decide to record it. Why bother with the expense
of a DVR if you are going to stream everything anyway.
2. I do not want to have anything to do with Netflix. They are just like Time Warner, Comcast and the others. I cut the cable and went OTA to get away from those bums.

Dave
1) because it's not just a DVR, it has many functions. If I just wanted OTA I'd use WMC and XBMC's DVR and a PC, software and DVR which is free.

2) I obviously assumed you had Netflix because it's showing up in your video providers. Just turn off NF from video providers and it shouldn't show up.
SimpleTheater likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Personally I think we passed the point of diminishing returns on human perceptibility between Netflix super HD and OTA HD awhile ago. But that's maybe a personal opinion.
It all depends on how large your TV is and how close you sit to it.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
1) because it's not just a DVR, it has many functions. If I just wanted OTA I'd use WMC and XBMC's DVR and a PC, software and DVR which is free.

2) I obviously assumed you had Netflix because it's showing up in your video providers. Just turn off NF from video providers and it shouldn't show up.
Thanks
I will turn off Netflix
Dave
Old 08-06-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Continued from DVR+ thread

Edit by jjeff, Joe-
Just thought of something else that we'd have no real way of knowing, other than if someone worked for Rovi or Tribune or someone constantly forced updates to see when things changed but I've been talking about when the device itself downloads the guide info, what we really don't know(and can't see from any device screen) is when or how often Rovi or Tribune itself updates it's guide.....is that what your talking about or are you talking about the device itself downloading guide info?
Last edited by jjeff; Today at 03:11 PM.

The only constant I have found is that the next update scheduled does not change if you force an update. I am only speaking of scheduled updates. Also, even if Zap2It has a change within the existing guide, I have seen it go both ways: ignore or miss.
Sadly, I am recording Extant on my DHG manually so I don't know if the TiVo guide caught the change. I don't know if the "new" guide indicator does anything, or the "new" of SP is caused by following the "rules", like most episodes of MOTIVE.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually my Tivo HD does change the next update time if I force a update, it changes it to ~30 hrs + from when I forced the update.
So are you saying your Tivo still shows a next update time, even though you use the internet for guide updates? In the CM+ thread Kelson spoke of periodic small updates during the day, does your Tivo differentiate between those and say a major daily update?

posted by Kelson in the CM+ thread:
"The newer TiVo's that are Internet connected do a formal guide update daily at irregular intervals however they are phoning home to the mother ship frequently during the day to see what's up. Sometimes they get guide change notices to cover situations like with Extant in between formal guide updates. "
Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually my Tivo HD does change the next update time if I force a update, it changes it to ~30 hrs + from when I forced the update.
So are you saying your Tivo still shows a next update time, even though you use the internet for guide updates? In the CM+ thread Kelson spoke of periodic small updates during the day, does your Tivo differentiate between those and say a major daily update?

posted by Kelson in the CM+ thread:
"The newer TiVo's that are Internet connected do a formal guide update daily at irregular intervals however they are phoning home to the mother ship frequently during the day to see what's up. Sometimes they get guide change notices to cover situations like with Extant in between formal guide updates. "
I can't draw anything definitive, but I just did a forced download. This did change my next download time from tomorrow at 8:39am to 7:24am. It also added one day to my guide. But the funny part is during the update, the "Downloading info" took about 10 seconds and the "Loading info" took about 10 minutes. I speculate the guide data was already inside the machine. My router isn't smart enough to tell me which device is getting data or when it gets it. I can't see the activity LED on the back either.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I can't draw anything definitive, but I just did a forced download. This did change my next download time from tomorrow at 8:39am to 7:24am. It also added one day to my guide. But the funny part is during the update, the "Downloading info" took about 10 seconds and the "Loading info" took about 10 minutes. I speculate the guide data was already inside the machine.
Did it change the next download to 7:24 the day after tomorrow? Wouldn't make sense if it actually changed it to earlier than was previously scheduled
If your on HS internet I could see it downloading in seconds, heck with my dial-up connection(that must be what, 40kbs??) downloading a days worth of guide info generally only takes a minute or two, sometimes less, the rest of the time is spent updating the guide, or whatever Tivo calls it. It disconnects from the phone line during this updating process. Of course I'm only OTA and have ~20 channels on my list, if you have cable and a 100 channels I suppose that would take longer at 40Kbs dial-up.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did it change the next download to 7:24 the day after tomorrow? Wouldn't make sense if it actually changed it to earlier than was previously scheduled
If your on HS internet I could see it downloading in seconds, heck with my dial-up connection(that must be what, 40kbs??) downloading a days worth of guide info generally only takes a minute or two, sometimes less, the rest of the time is spent updating the guide, or whatever Tivo calls it. It disconnects from the phone line during this updating process. Of course I'm only OTA and have ~20 channels on my list, if you have cable and a 100 channels I suppose that would take longer at 40Kbs dial-up.
Nope, still tomorrow morning. My connection is 5 down/1 up wireless. I have about 200 channels right now. Usually the "Downloading info" takes minutes, not seconds and the guide doesn't always change. I guess we'll have to put this in the speculation list.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is anyone here using a Mini with an XL4? It's odd, but when the XL4 is only recording 3 shows, the Mini tells me all tuners are in use so I can't view anything live. Shouldn't that only happen if all 4 tuners are actually in use?

I looked around the tivo site to see if anyone else had the issue but couldn't really find any thing.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Your last tuner is in use because it's live TV for that Tivo. They reserve one for local watching regardless of Minis.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Your last tuner is in use because it's live TV for that Tivo. They reserve one for local watching regardless of Minis.
And the reason being that TiVo doesn't know if someone is watching live TV where the XL4 is and would be interrupted by someone changing the channel via the Mini. The only partial workaround is to have the XL4 recording the channel you want to watch on the Mini then you can watch that "recording". You can schedule the recording from the Mini so you don't have to go to where the XL4 is.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am really enjoying the update on my 4 year old Premiere. So much so that I got a pre-owned Lifetime Sub Premiere for the bedroom, around $300. I also called Tivo and they gave me a $99 Lifetime Sub on my current box...told them I was looking to save money and the CSR was great...The second used box I bought was built July of 2012 so it should be good for a few years anyway.

Peter 100% OTA
Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamar View Post
I am really enjoying the update on my 4 year old Premiere. So much so that I got a pre-owned Lifetime Sub Premiere for the bedroom, around $300. I also called Tivo and they gave me a $99 Lifetime Sub on my current box...told them I was looking to save money and the CSR was great...The second used box I bought was built July of 2012 so it should be good for a few years anyway.
$99 Lifetime Sub?! What number did you call?