The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3331 of 3342 Old 06-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In all fairness to Comcast, I don't think I communicated the facts as well as I should have. I knew what was going on, but as far as they're concerned, I've had 4 of their boxes hooked up for the last 20 years. All of a sudden, I tell them that I have 2 Tivos. As far as they're concerned...I now have 2 additional outlets, or a total of 6 outlets. What I forgot to tell them was that I'm no longer using 2 of their DTA's. So I still have 4 outlets. I never returned the DTA's that aren't in use. I've already gotten the "official" notice of my upcoming bill change and when that happens, I'll contact them again AFTER I take back the 2 DTA's. That should eliminate the additional outlet charge since I'm actually replacing their equipment with my own and that's what the FCC specifically covers.

That being the case, my recommendation to anyone contemplating getting a Tivo would be to get a DTA first, then replace it with the new Tivo. It's a lot cheaper to establish a new connection for $1.95 a month and then replace their box then it would be to outright add a Tivo for the cost of a high def box. At least that's my theory. We'll see how it works out at the end of next month.

And yes...I'm very familiar with their customer retention department. They're actually a pleasure to talk with most times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3342 Old 06-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post
In all fairness to Comcast, I don't think I communicated the facts as well as I should have. I knew what was going on, but as far as they're concerned, I've had 4 of their boxes hooked up for the last 20 years. All of a sudden, I tell them that I have 2 Tivos. As far as they're concerned...I now have 2 additional outlets, or a total of 6 outlets. What I forgot to tell them was that I'm no longer using 2 of their DTA's. So I still have 4 outlets. I never returned the DTA's that aren't in use. I've already gotten the "official" notice of my upcoming bill change and when that happens, I'll contact them again AFTER I take back the 2 DTA's. That should eliminate the additional outlet charge since I'm actually replacing their equipment with my own and that's what the FCC specifically covers.

That being the case, my recommendation to anyone contemplating getting a Tivo would be to get a DTA first, then replace it with the new Tivo. It's a lot cheaper to establish a new connection for $1.95 a month and then replace their box then it would be to outright add a Tivo for the cost of a high def box. At least that's my theory. We'll see how it works out at the end of next month.

And yes...I'm very familiar with their customer retention department. They're actually a pleasure to talk with most times.
I hope that your theory will pan out for you, but that's not how Comcast's billing scheme is structured. The $10 p.m. outlet fee is for any additional digital device (HD STB, DVR, CableCARD, etc.). The DTA is an analog device (it "adapts" the incoming digital signal to analog) and therefore carries a lower $2 p.m. charge; you can not swap a DTA for a CableCARD on your account and reasonably hope that your charges will not increase. Now, as has already been pointed out numerous times on this thread, Comcast's billing system is notoriously inconsistent and arcane, so as always YMMV.

The additional fees you are subject to are also a function of your subscription plan; e.g., if your rate includes a Comcast DVR but you are using your own TiVo in lieu of Comcast's equipment, then you should not be charged any additional CableCARD or digital outlet fees, and you are entitled to a customer-owned equipment (COE) credit of (typically) $2.50 per item.

Also, any fees, although assessed on a monthly basis, are prorated per diem; so if you are not using those two DTA's for which you are being assessed a separate monthly fee, you have a small financial incentive to turn them in right away rather than waiting for the next billing cycle.
post #3333 of 3342 Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
TiVo Summer SW Update 20.4.2

The Summer Premiere SW Update brings:
  • New Roamio Style UI to the Premieres and Minis
  • Big Improvement in HDUI Speed
  • New (optional) Categories to the My Shows list

http://www.tivo.com/serviceupdates

Here is a YouTube video of some of the new features:

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 07-09-2014 at 04:23 AM.
post #3334 of 3342 Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
The Summer Premiere SW Update brings:
  • New Roamio Style UI to the Premieres and Minis
  • Big Improvement in HDUI Speed
  • New (optional) Categories to the My Shows list

http://www.tivo.com/serviceupdates

Here is a YouTube video of some of the new features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmbXU4PlU
That looks good, Bryan. Thanks for sharing it, now I just have to wait to get the update.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #3335 of 3342 Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post
That looks good, Bryan. Thanks for sharing it, now I just have to wait to get the update.

The big news is the change in the software language to haxe from Adobe Flash.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10171579

The Priority Update list is still up and running. Just put in your TSN.
http://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_2

This update is worth getting especially if you have Premieres. The speed increase in the HD menus is noticeable. The TiVo HD menus respond to the remote commands as fast as I can hit the buttons.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #3336 of 3342 Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
The big news is the change in the software language to haxe from Adobe Flash.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10171579

The Priority Update list is still up and running. Just put in your TSN.
http://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_2

This update is worth getting especially if you have Premieres. The speed increase in the HD menus is noticeable. The TiVo HD menus respond to the remote commands as fast as I can hit the buttons.
Thanks, Jed1. I signed up with my TSN.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #3337 of 3342 Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
LOVE the new interface. It's all the same, and it's snappy. Looks like Roamio

For some reason I can only get one of my two Tivos to download it though, after 10x force connecting on my second box.
post #3338 of 3342 Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
LOVE the new interface. It's all the same, and it's snappy. Looks like Roamio

For some reason I can only get one of my two Tivos to download it though, after 10x force connecting on my second box.
There's no point in forcing the service connection ... it ain't gonna update until TiVo HQ gives the green light for your box. I'm still waiting, BTW.
post #3339 of 3342 Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Is this just a Premier update we are talking about or will it apply to Roamio as well.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3340 of 3342 Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Is this just a Premier update we are talking about or will it apply to Roamio as well.
The Roamio and Mini got the updates as well.
post #3341 of 3342 Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The update is sweet, so much faster and smoother.

post #3342 of 3342 Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post
The update is sweet, so much faster and smoother.
agreed. This update pushed my upgrade "need" of 2 ota only premieres to a roamio and a mini by a few years. There is really no incentive for me to upgrade as of now.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page