5Likes

post #3361 of 3380 Old 08-16-2014, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
$99 Lifetime Sub?! What number did you call?
The regular Tivo number. They gave it to my because of the length of service on the box.

YMMV.

Peter 100% OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3380 Old 08-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plamar View Post
The regular Tivo number. They gave it to my because of the length of service on the box.

YMMV.
So I called customer service and the initial operator quoted $399 per unit. I asked for customer retention or cancellation department and I was transferred to "Advanced Billing Support". After explaining my intention to convert to Lifetime Service for less than the $399 each I was put on hold for a few minutes and the rep came back with $99 each!
post #3363 of 3380 Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So I gave the new software a couple of months and I've decided I'm not a big fan. Before the update, my unit worked great... since the update:

I find NO increase in menu speed. Quite the contrary. I'm getting a lot of spinning circles when I change selections. Still slow between networked devices.

On a personal preference note...I liked the old color scheme better. Probably just a resistance to change thing for us older folks.

Ever since the update I'm losing one tuner almost daily...at least every other day. It just goes blank and whatever channel I tune to says that I'm not authorized to view that channel. When this happens, at the same time I lose my ability to view anything "On Demand". I have to unplug and re-start the unit before it will work properly again. Occasionally, not all channels go blank and a handful will still work, but the majority are not available.

Thanks for the posts about how to remove the new side menu and also how to get rid of the Netflix thing. That was truly a royal pain. Additional keystrokes and all that. I did notice that there's a huge ad when you hit the pause button right above the progress bar when you watch a football game. I haven't noticed it anywhere else.
post #3364 of 3380 Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post
So I gave the new software a couple of months and I've decided I'm not a big fan. Before the update, my unit worked great... since the update:
The Fall SW Update Priority List is now open. I am sure many bugs have been fixed.
http://www.tivo.com/priority20.4.4

If you sign up, you will most likely get the new update in the next 2 weeks.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #3365 of 3380 Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I find NO increase in menu speed. Quite the contrary. I'm getting a lot of spinning circles when I change selections. Still slow between networked devices.

On a personal preference note...I liked the old color scheme better. Probably just a resistance to change thing for us older folks.

Ever since the update I'm losing one tuner almost daily...at least every other day. It just goes blank and whatever channel I tune to says that I'm not authorized to view that channel. When this happens, at the same time I lose my ability to view anything "On Demand". I have to unplug and re-start the unit before it will work properly again. Occasionally, not all channels go blank and a handful will still work, but the majority are not available.

Thanks for the posts about how to remove the new side menu and also how to get rid of the Netflix thing. That was truly a royal pain. Additional keystrokes and all that. I did notice that there's a huge ad when you hit the pause button right above the progress bar when you watch a football game. I haven't noticed it anywhere else.
You may want to try the SPSPauseS code to drastically reduce the time the progress bar is visible. I don't like the progress bar covering up what I am watching and I don't like the ads. The code pretty much eliminates that problem.
post #3366 of 3380 Old 09-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
1)
2) I obviously assumed you had Netflix because it's showing up in your video providers. Just turn off NF from video providers and it shouldn't show up.

Tried to find the video providers and couldn't. I'd like to get rid of the whole gang of the...Netfilx, Hulu, etc. Where is the menu to select these?
post #3367 of 3380 Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
You may want to try the SPSPauseS code to drastically reduce the time the progress bar is visible. I don't like the progress bar covering up what I am watching and I don't like the ads. The code pretty much eliminates that problem.
SPSPauseS? Is that slow/pause/slow/pause/slow?
post #3368 of 3380 Old 09-06-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Tried to find the video providers and couldn't. I'd like to get rid of the whole gang of the...Netfilx, Hulu, etc. Where is the menu to select these?

Go to channels under settings.
post #3369 of 3380 Old 09-06-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
SPSPauseS? Is that slow/pause/slow/pause/slow?
Use this key sequence while playing a recording.

Select Play Select Pause Select

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #3370 of 3380 Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Use this key sequence while playing a recording.

Select Play Select Pause Select
I sure wish those codes would stick rather than going away when the device reboots. Not so bad on my premiere, but it takes forever on my mini to get the minimal progress bar code to take hold. Usually takes at least ten tries.
post #3371 of 3380 Old 09-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Go to channels under settings.
Thank you. That worked great. For some reason, that's the only menu I didn't go through because it didn't make sense for video sources to be there.
post #3372 of 3380 Old 10-24-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Winter update time. 20.4.5 is available for testing.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=522219
post #3373 of 3380 Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Winter update time. 20.4.5 is available for testing.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=522219

I signed up my two Premiere 4s for the Priority Update this morning.
http://www.tivo.com/priority_20.4.5

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #3374 of 3380 Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 151
TiVo Wins, Comcast Loses

I've been using TiVo for the past five years, first with two Series3HD's and then two Premieres (Elite and basic). I've always had two multi-stream CableCARDs from Comcast, for which I was paying a grand total of $1.50 p.m.; together with the two customer-owned equipment (COE) credits of $2.50 each, I was actually accumulating a balance in my account of about $4.00 p.m. (including tax and fee credits). Since I get my service via my HOA's bulk services agreement, there were no other charges on my account.

Then, in July 2012, Comcast changed my billing by removing the CableCARD line items and substituting a "Digital Service" charge of $9.95. Even though, with the COE credits, I was still only paying about $5.00 p.m. (the IMHO quite reasonable equivalent of $2.50 per CableCARD), the duplicitous manner in which Comcast had rewickered the billing just stuck in my craw. Instead of having the honesty to list the actual equipment I was renting and the per-item charges, they were pretending that there was no accounting or assessment for the CableCARDs but that I was liable for "digital service" charges of $9.95 for each digital device on my account after the first one. As we all know, this was done to allow them to charge us $10 a pop for each additional digital device running off of a CableCARD, while circumventing any FCC challenges regarding unfair card fees. Thus, customers who had three or four cards could be billed as much as $25 more p.m. without any change in equipment or services.

By complaining and negotiating offsets plus additional free services (HBO/SHO), I was able to avoid actually paying these charges until this last August when I finally used up the accrual in my account. So in September I took advantage of the new inclusion of product lifetime service (PLS) in the TiVo Mini pricing and picked one up at Best Buy for only $82.60 (including tax). Yesterday--having had time to test out the Mini and satisfy myself that it would substitute admirably for the seldom used Premiere in my bedroom--I sold my basic Premiere w/PLS for $375 and returned the second CableCARD to Comcast (very friendly and competent CSR in the retail store, BTW). Now I'm back to running a monthly accrual of about $3.00 on my Comcast account, and TiVo gets an additional box in service. The basic Premiere, which I purchased in March 2012 for $459 (w/PLS), wound up costing me the equivalent of $2.80 p.m. to "rent" (exclusive of the new "digital service" fee)--not a bad investment compared to Comcast's $15 to $20 DVR rental charges.

Ironically, I would have been glad to give my money to Comcast if they had just been aboveboard with their billing. I am happy with the cable TV service (in fact, I was the one who arranged for my HOA's 10-year contract with them) but their DVR is inferior to TiVo and not worth what they're charging for it. IMHO Comcast has done a great job in the past several years improving customer service, but their consumer ratings will remain below par until they make their billing services more uniform, transparent, and reliably honest.

TiVo has been a great product for me and my wife and I can't recommend it highly enough. Even at the current MSRP pricing of $150 (w/PLS), the Mini is a handy and (thanks to MSO greed) cost-effective DVR extender. Paired with a Roamio Pro (which I can see myself upgrading to at some point), it should satisfy most consumer demands.
post #3375 of 3380 Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
As we all know, this was done to allow them to charge us $10 a pop for each additional digital device running off of a CableCARD, while circumventing any FCC challenges regarding unfair card fees.
This was always their dream that was made possible by their transition to digital cable -- to be able to charge a fee for every single device you have hooked to their cable. In a saturated market you can only grow revenue by stealing customers from the other guy or extracting more money from your current base.

The Mini is great. Since you are using it with a 4-tuner TiVo I would remind you that the Mini won't release the tuner from the host TiVo for several hours on its own. I make it a habit to hit the TiVo button on the remote after I turn off the TV to send the Mini to the TiVo menu which releases the tuner back to the TiVo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 11-07-2014 at 12:34 PM.
post #3376 of 3380 Old 11-15-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Help! Tivo seems to have updated the firmware or did something else to my Premiere overnight. This AM I get the on screen message that the Tivo can't find the attached HD and to make sure it's still attached and turned on etc or to press clear and in effect delete the HD and it's contents. The HD IS attached and running just like it was the last time the Tivo was used as a source (last night) and the Tivo was not unplugged or put in standby. Repeated rebooting of the Tivo brings up the same message. THIS has happened before and seems to occur about once or twice a year presumably after a firmware update. Last time got it to work by turning off tuning adapter before reboot. Left myself a note to make sure I did it correctly next time. Problem is this time it doesn't fix the problem. Checked external HD (WD one specially made for Tivo), reseated power cord and sata cable etc. In addition to tuning adapter have cable card from Bright House. At least 6 attempts to reboot and get it working. All failed. Currently have Tivo unplugged.

Any thoughts on source of problem and how to fix it would by appreciated. Thanks
post #3377 of 3380 Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
Help! Tivo seems to have updated the firmware or did something else to my Premiere overnight. This AM I get the on screen message that the Tivo can't find the attached HD and to make sure it's still attached and turned on etc or to press clear and in effect delete the HD and it's contents. The HD IS attached and running just like it was the last time the Tivo was used as a source (last night) and the Tivo was not unplugged or put in standby. Repeated rebooting of the Tivo brings up the same message. THIS has happened before and seems to occur about once or twice a year presumably after a firmware update. Last time got it to work by turning off tuning adapter before reboot. Left myself a note to make sure I did it correctly next time. Problem is this time it doesn't fix the problem. Checked external HD (WD one specially made for Tivo), reseated power cord and sata cable etc. In addition to tuning adapter have cable card from Bright House. At least 6 attempts to reboot and get it working. All failed. Currently have Tivo unplugged.

Any thoughts on source of problem and how to fix it would by appreciated. Thanks
I'm afraid it's your external HD is dead or on its way to being dead. I have found the WD external hard drives to be very shoddy both the TiVo version and the version for PCs (which probably aren't even different. I've also found that the actual HD is ok but the circuit board fails which provides the interface. At least for my PS external HD case.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who will repair it and use the old HD. Also because the HD is in a RAID configuration with the TiVo's internal HD, you will lose everything by reverting back to just the internal HD.

The last time this happened for me, if I left the external HD unplugged for several days, it would eventually be recognized. However this wouldn't last long. I was able to use TiVo desktop to get all the programs off the drives and then I installed a new larger drive which was bigger than both combined (older HD model).

SO give it a few days and see if it comes back but be ready to just dump the external HD and reformat the interna HD (or replace it if you need more space).

Phil Tomaskovic
post #3378 of 3380 Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Phil: Thanks. Hope you are wrong re HD. This only seems to occur roughly every 6 months or so and after Tivo has updated software although I can't prove that. The choice it gives me in order to continue booting up seems to say it is going to erase all recorded programs with no explicit option to do otherwise. If I interpret your comments correctly you are saying unplug the sata cable from the Tivo and do another reboot, hope it reboots successfully , wait a few days unplug the Tivo reattach the sata cable and reboot again and hope it recognizes the drive. Is this correct?

Another thought that occurred to me is perhaps I should call the cable company and have them ping the Tivo. Perhaps the software update lost the cable connection which might explain why the tuning adapter was involved in this last time and the HD problem relates to an attempt to maintain copy protected recordings. In other words the cable HDCP thinks I am going to drop cable service and it doesn't want me to continue to have access to copy protected material. Question is would a ping be successful if the Tivo was completely booted up i.e chicken and the egg situation.

Thanks again.
post #3379 of 3380 Old 11-15-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
Phil: Thanks. Hope you are wrong re HD. This only seems to occur roughly every 6 months or so and after Tivo has updated software although I can't prove that. The choice it gives me in order to continue booting up seems to say it is going to erase all recorded programs with no explicit option to do otherwise. If I interpret your comments correctly you are saying unplug the sata cable from the Tivo and do another reboot, hope it reboots successfully , wait a few days unplug the Tivo reattach the sata cable and reboot again and hope it recognizes the drive. Is this correct?

Another thought that occurred to me is perhaps I should call the cable company and have them ping the Tivo. Perhaps the software update lost the cable connection which might explain why the tuning adapter was involved in this last time and the HD problem relates to an attempt to maintain copy protected recordings. In other words the cable HDCP thinks I am going to drop cable service and it doesn't want me to continue to have access to copy protected material. Question is would a ping be successful if the Tivo was completely booted up i.e chicken and the egg situation.

Thanks again.
If you boot without the sata cable plugged then you will definitely not be able to continue without erasing everything and reformat. That is why I think the external drive is malfunctioning. The TiVo isn't seeing the system fully populated because files are spilt up between the 2 drives. One file can be split up across boss drives. So if the external is not connected then it looks like the who system is corrupted.

So I'm suggesting leave the whole TiVo and external drive unplugged from power. Wait a few days and reboot with the external drive connected.

Once you add an external drive, you can never go back to the single internal drive without a reformat.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #3380 of 3380 Old 11-15-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Thanks again.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page