The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3481 of 3483 Old Today, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
Don't know about ext3 and ext4, but I'll make note of this the next time I spend an hour defragmenting an NTFS file system on my desktops and laptops
Do that but it is a waste of time.

And now my laptop has a SSD it is a waste of read write cycles.
Sorry I even raised the question of the missing stop button.... don't have a manual nor the time to read one, nor the time to go through the Tivo forums to get information. That's where I'm sensing some annoyance in various comments, which translate into "read the manual, moron!". Can't disagree with those sentiments. Overall, I like the Tivo Premiere, but for me all these screens and functions are a bit overkill..... and feel the same way towards Microsoft's latest operating systems, namely 8.1 and Windows 10. To each his own......
But the time spent posting here is about the time it takes to read the manual.
Sponsored Links
post #3482 of 3483 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
... for me the lack of a 'stop' button is an issue.... with all my other recorders, being able to stop a program enables one to go back at a later time or date and "resume" playback from that stopped point. Don't know if Tivo can do this, but in any case, perhaps I should re-name my AVS Forum handle "Pointless OCD".

When I first got a TiVo I had trouble figuring out how to "stop" a recording. I finally figured out that the 'Live TV' button stops the recording. The left arrow will take you back one screen but the recording doesn't stop, and will continue playing in the small video window. You still have to press 'Live TV' to actually stop it. 'Live TV' stops the recording immediately, marking the spot where you left off.

If you use the Netflix app, then you have to re-learn how to stop that recording. 'Live TV' will stop it, but takes you clear out of the Netflix app. I finally figured out that the up arrow will "stop" a playing Netflix movie, and leave you in the Netflix app.

post #3483 of 3483 Unread Today, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Sorry I even raised the question of the missing stop button....
You, like many others new to TiVo, bemoan the lack of a stop button on the remote. But you, like the others, always fail to say what exactly you want the stop button to do. That may seem like a foolish statement but it really isn't. We went through this in another TiVo thread and ask a bunch of people what they want the stop button to do and they will give you an assortment of answers.

The neat thing about TiVo is that it may not have a stop button but it generally has a button to do the assorted things people want their stop button to do. One simply has to learn how the unit works by using it. I use a Harmony remote and lo and behold it has a stop button. I never bothered programming it for my TiVo because anything I would want it to do as a stop button would be redundant with another button on the TiVo that does it already.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page