The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #3481 of 3502 Old 11-26-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
Don't know about ext3 and ext4, but I'll make note of this the next time I spend an hour defragmenting an NTFS file system on my desktops and laptops
Do that but it is a waste of time.

And now my laptop has a SSD it is a waste of read write cycles.
Quote:
Sorry I even raised the question of the missing stop button.... don't have a manual nor the time to read one, nor the time to go through the Tivo forums to get information. That's where I'm sensing some annoyance in various comments, which translate into "read the manual, moron!". Can't disagree with those sentiments. Overall, I like the Tivo Premiere, but for me all these screens and functions are a bit overkill..... and feel the same way towards Microsoft's latest operating systems, namely 8.1 and Windows 10. To each his own......
But the time spent posting here is about the time it takes to read the manual.
joecass likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3502 Old 11-26-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
... for me the lack of a 'stop' button is an issue.... with all my other recorders, being able to stop a program enables one to go back at a later time or date and "resume" playback from that stopped point. Don't know if Tivo can do this, but in any case, perhaps I should re-name my AVS Forum handle "Pointless OCD".

When I first got a TiVo I had trouble figuring out how to "stop" a recording. I finally figured out that the 'Live TV' button stops the recording. The left arrow will take you back one screen but the recording doesn't stop, and will continue playing in the small video window. You still have to press 'Live TV' to actually stop it. 'Live TV' stops the recording immediately, marking the spot where you left off.

If you use the Netflix app, then you have to re-learn how to stop that recording. 'Live TV' will stop it, but takes you clear out of the Netflix app. I finally figured out that the up arrow will "stop" a playing Netflix movie, and leave you in the Netflix app.

Mark
joecass likes this.
post #3483 of 3502 Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Sorry I even raised the question of the missing stop button....
You, like many others new to TiVo, bemoan the lack of a stop button on the remote. But you, like the others, always fail to say what exactly you want the stop button to do. That may seem like a foolish statement but it really isn't. We went through this in another TiVo thread and ask a bunch of people what they want the stop button to do and they will give you an assortment of answers.

The neat thing about TiVo is that it may not have a stop button but it generally has a button to do the assorted things people want their stop button to do. One simply has to learn how the unit works by using it. I use a Harmony remote and lo and behold it has a stop button. I never bothered programming it for my TiVo because anything I would want it to do as a stop button would be redundant with another button on the TiVo that does it already.
joecass, BIGA$$TV and SMHarman like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3484 of 3502 Old 11-27-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You, like many others new to TiVo, bemoan the lack of a stop button on the remote. But you, like the others, always fail to say what exactly you want the stop button to do. That may seem like a foolish statement but it really isn't. We went through this in another TiVo thread and ask a bunch of people what they want the stop button to do and they will give you an assortment of answers.

The neat thing about TiVo is that it may not have a stop button but it generally has a button to do the assorted things people want their stop button to do. One simply has to learn how the unit works by using it. I use a Harmony remote and lo and behold it has a stop button. I never bothered programming it for my TiVo because anything I would want it to do as a stop button would be redundant with another button on the TiVo that does it already.
Yeah, people need to use their TiVo for a while before they start complaining. Yes, it may feel different at first, but once one learns all the features and tricks, it all makes sense.
dturturro and joecass like this.
post #3485 of 3502 Old 11-28-2015, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post
When I first got a TiVo I had trouble figuring out how to "stop" a recording. I finally figured out that the 'Live TV' button stops the recording. The left arrow will take you back one screen but the recording doesn't stop, and will continue playing in the small video window. You still have to press 'Live TV' to actually stop it. 'Live TV' stops the recording immediately, marking the spot where you left off.

If you use the Netflix app, then you have to re-learn how to stop that recording. 'Live TV' will stop it, but takes you clear out of the Netflix app. I finally figured out that the up arrow will "stop" a playing Netflix movie, and leave you in the Netflix app.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. any positive advice regarding the Tivo is much appreciated. Don't know much about Netflix either, that may be a future endeavor.
post #3486 of 3502 Old 11-28-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Up is the same on the Roku remote.
post #3487 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 05:08 AM

After using the Tivo for a while, I've come to believe my observations were correct. The lack of a Stop button to me is an oversight, as is the missing On-Off button. Having to navigate through numerous screens seems tedious compared to all my other recording devices. Took me a while to figure out how to cancel a Timer recording.
post #3488 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After using the Tivo for a while, I've come to believe my observations were correct. The lack of a Stop button to me is an oversight, as is the missing On-Off button. Having to navigate through numerous screens seems tedious compared to all my other recording devices. Took me a while to figure out how to cancel a Timer recording.
But again off on a dvr is never off unless you want it to stop doing it's job.
Roamio onward built in power save.
There is an IR/IP command for power save so with a universal remote or HA system you can send sleep but I find it annoying as I have to watch the waking up screen when I turn it on
joecass likes this.
post #3489 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
But again off on a dvr is never off unless you want it to stop doing it's job.
Roamio onward built in power save.
There is an IR/IP command for power save so with a universal remote or HA system you can send sleep but I find it annoying as I have to watch the waking up screen when I turn it on
Agreed.... but I never liked the idea of "always on" in a DVR. Needless waste of energy. From what I can gather, the Tivo updates the Guide data around 4 a.m. every day... so a Power Save mode would be welcome. I have one ancient DVR that actually shuts off completely when you hit the power button, and several DVD/HDD recorders which do likewise. Makes much more sense to me....
post #3490 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Agreed.... but I never liked the idea of "always on" in a DVR. Needless waste of energy. From what I can gather, the Tivo updates the Guide data around 4 a.m. every day... so a Power Save mode would be welcome. I have one ancient DVR that actually shuts off completely when you hit the power button, and several DVD/HDD recorders which do likewise. Makes much more sense to me....
From TiVo Central, use Setting & Messages, Settings, Network. You will see last connection and next connection times. It's usually once a day, but if you do see it twice you may have an update coming. If you want to force the connection, doing it after 15:30 EDT will usually get you a guide update. But not always.
joecass likes this.
post #3491 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But Joe. Now the TiVo knows from the HDMI and control inputs that nobody is using it and goes automagically into power save.
joecass likes this.
post #3492 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But Joe. Now the TiVo knows from the HDMI and control inputs that nobody is using it and goes automagically into power save.
I don't think there is any software to prove that. While the hardware may be present, like the Mini, a TiVo does not act on the condition of the HDMI or any other external signal. Perhaps you have mis-worded your statement? Some people would give their ..... to have that ability.
post #3493 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I don't think there is any software to prove that. While the hardware may be present, like the Mini, a TiVo does not act on the condition of the HDMI or any other external signal. Perhaps you have mis-worded your statement? Some people would give their ..... to have that ability.
Well when I turn my system to TiVo I get the waking up screen.
post #3494 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well when I turn my system to TiVo I get the waking up screen.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by system in this context.
joecass likes this.
post #3495 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Speaking of the Tivo 'system'.... is there any way to disable the automatic 30min buffer while the unit is on ?
post #3496 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of the Tivo 'system'.... is there any way to disable the automatic 30min buffer while the unit is on ?
So many people wish they had control of this buffer. TiVo has chosen to spend time on other things. I liked the Sony DHG which gave the user control of this and the requeue time also. But it only had one buffer. I must confess, I find the buffer valuable with the Roamio to catch the audio dropouts. But that's a Roamio problem, so I guess it evens out.

On my Premieres, there is no "waking up screen" or "going to sleep" screen. That takes a Roamio or higher.
post #3497 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By system I mean tv (ir), AVR (IP) and TiVo (IP) all controlled by a control4 HC250 / SR250 universal remote.

Quote:
On my Premieres, there is no "waking up screen" or "going to sleep" screen. That takes a Roamio or higher.
Good point. I took advantage of the $300 lifetime blowout sale and just switched device. This is behavior of the Roamio.
I believe the Roamio can be put in aggressive power save mode where it shuts down buffer record and eeven some recording. But yes, not a premiere thing.
post #3498 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By system I mean tv (ir), AVR (IP) and TiVo (IP) all controlled by a control4 HC250 / SR250 universal remote.

Good point. I took advantage of the $300 lifetime blowout sale and just switched device. This is behavior of the Roamio.
I believe the Roamio can be put in aggressive power save mode where it shuts down buffer record and eeven some recording. But yes, not a premiere thing.
Good information. A universal can do more than a TiVo remote. As for Power saving:
Off (no power saving)

Low The DVR will enter Standby if it hasn't been used for 4 hours. Tivo Suggestions WILL be recorded.

Medium Same as Low but Suggestions WILL NOT be recorded.

High Same as Medium but the time is 2 hours.

Regardless of the setting, Scheduled recordings, downloads and transfers are not affected.

This is how it works. The buffer and tuners work differently on a Roamio. A lot of people would like their TV to cause their TiVo to leave Standby and have their Standby turn off their TiVo. But that's just a wish.
post #3499 of 3502 Old 12-06-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok so key presses on the TiVo remote reset send to standby on the Roamio.

I think also my HC250 sends the sleep command when I hit room off on the SR250.
post #3500 of 3502 Old 12-07-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Sadly this is one of those non-user configurable options where Tivo has decided for you. Same for using screensaver instead of live TV, the Mini idle timeout timer, etc.

There's lots of stuff you just have to accept as being the Tivo Way(tm), because they know what's good for you.
post #3501 of 3502 Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
There's lots of stuff you just have to accept as being the Tivo Way(tm), because they know what's good for you.
I'm willing to trade a little bit of configuration freedom for the high level of reliability and trouble-free operation the TiVo gives me day after day. Go read the DVR+ thread some time. It is litany of "my DVR+ just started doing this" and "my DVR+ was doing that once a week now it's every day"; "how do I fix it"; "how do I prevent the firmware from updating" and on and on.

Here, all people complain about is stuff like, how come the remote doesn't have a stop button -- which is a corollary of, how come the TiVo doesn't work exactly the way i want it to work.
Hyrax and jjeff like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3502 of 3502 Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sadly this is one of those non-user configurable options where Tivo has decided for you. Same for using screensaver instead of live TV, the Mini idle timeout timer, etc.

Being as I have never ever thought a out this stuff until this thread I guess mama TiVo does know best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page