The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #3511 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 05:27 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I've seen posts from time to time regarding TiVo's doing repeated reboots. Well, last night one of my four Premiers became infected with that disease.

The affected unit rebooted itself twice while I was watching it in the early evening. After the 2nd reboot I decided to investigate and looked at the Settings menu. I found that it had not successfully connected to the mothership since the day before, so I decided to force it to connect. While it was still in the "Prepare" mode the TV screen went black as the TiVo began yet another reboot. After the boot was finished I tried to force the connection again several more times, with each attempt ending in still another reboot. I then tried to access the "Account Info" screen, but that attempt prompted a reboot yet again. I tried to play an existing recording and start a new recording, and both of those tasks were successful. So I unplugged the TiVo for a few minutes and then powered it back up and tried to contact the mothership again, but no dice.. just a reboot. I left the unit powered up when I went to bed and it tried unsuccessfully on its own to connect all night long...

This morning before I left for work I decided to try redoing the network configuration on the Premier. I have always used a static IP address, and have not changed it or made any other recent changes or additions to my network. I decided to change that Premier to use DHCP to see what would happen, and when I forced the connection to the mothership it (much to my surprise) connected just fine. I had to leave for work, so I was unable to investigate further this morning. At the moment I don't know why an IP address that had worked fine for 4 years suddenly doesn't work anymore. Maybe some other device is stomping on it, but like I said I haven't made any other recent changes or additions. Hopefully I'll learn more tonight if I have time . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160315_193342.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	1317721

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's

Last edited by WS65711; 03-16-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
I've seen posts from time to time regarding TiVo's doing repeated reboots. Well, last night one of my four Premiers became infected with that disease.
I have noticed reports of restarts on Roamio boxes have started. I have two, one on 20.5.9, and that one did a restart yesterday morning at 5am. That's about when my connection was due. It has been reported that the network seems related. This is my first spontaneous restart in two years.

I just found out RC15 is being pushed to Premiere boxes. Do you have it?

Last edited by JoeKustra; 03-16-2016 at 06:54 AM.
post #3513 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I have noticed reports of restarts on Roamio boxes have started. I have two, one on 20.5.9, and that one did a restart yesterday morning at 5am. That's about when my connection was due. It has been reported that the network seems related. This is my first spontaneous restart in two years.

I just found out RC15 is being pushed to Premiere boxes. Do you have it?
The last update this particular box got was the Fall Update. Is that RC15? I don't know about my other three.. I just checked them last night, but only for network status.

My issue definitely seems to be network related, but I have no idea why it popped up all of a sudden with no network changes made recently. Tonight I'll probably try setting the IP address back to what it had been before and see what happens. After that, I'll be watching SURVIVOR

This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3514 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
The last update this particular box got was the Fall Update. Is that RC15? I don't know about my other three.. I just checked them last night, but only for network status.

My issue definitely seems to be network related, but I have no idea why it popped up all of a sudden with no network changes made recently. Tonight I'll probably try setting the IP address back to what it had been before and see what happens. After that, I'll be watching SURVIVOR
Before you do that, go into the web interface on your router and check if any other device has captured that IP address. I assume you already have your router configured to reserve the range of IP addresses you are assigning as static so that the DHCP of the router doesn't assign them to other devices.

Having two devices with the same IP address can wreak havoc on a network.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3515 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Before you do that, go into the web interface on your router and check if any other device has captured that IP address. I assume you already have your router configured to reserve the range of IP addresses you are assigning as static so that the DHCP of the router doesn't assign them to other devices.

Having two devices with the same IP address can wreak havoc on a network.
I haven't double checked that yet, but I only had a small block (about 10) addresses available for the router to assign to devices configured to use DHCP. These devices include my 3 thermostats (which can't be configured to static) and also provides for cellphones/notebooks etc. of visitors. But I will check that out also to confirm there are no conflicts.

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3516 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no clue either. I've had RC15 for several weeks. But I'm going to start a thread on TCF about this.
post #3517 of 3521 Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Thread Ender

Ok... the answer is: there is no answer. I checked the router and it showed no attached devices at address .81 (where the TiVo had been). The DHCP address range starts at .150, way above where the TiVo was. I configured the TiVo once again with a static address of .81, went to Settings and force a connection to the mothership. It worked without a hitch. Last night it would reboot each time I tried to connect, and once when I tried to view the Account Status. All I can figure is it must have picked up some kind of glitch causing the original configuration to become invalid, although it showed the proper IP address in the picture above.

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3518 of 3521 Old 03-18-2016, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Ok... the answer is: there is no answer. I checked the router and it showed no attached devices at address .81 (where the TiVo had been). The DHCP address range starts at .150, way above where the TiVo was. I configured the TiVo once again with a static address of .81, went to Settings and force a connection to the mothership. It worked without a hitch. Last night it would reboot each time I tried to connect, and once when I tried to view the Account Status. All I can figure is it must have picked up some kind of glitch causing the original configuration to become invalid, although it showed the proper IP address in the picture above.
Are you wired or wireless to the hub? If wired, I ran into a problem with a hub I used in my equipment room and needed to reset it (the hub connected to a switch that connected to my router). This has been the only issue in two years connecting wired. I used to connect wirelessly and often had issues with connection because the Wireless TiVo adapter would lose connection and try to default to some factory setting when it reconnected. I never solved that issue.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #3519 of 3521 Old 03-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Are you wired or wireless to the hub? ....
Hardwired. It had been wireless for about three years, but I dropped an ethernet cable down the wall about a year ago. I did not have to reset the router (or the switch behind the AV equipment) in order to solve the problem with the TiVo. The TiVo rebooted itself at total of about a dozen times.. twice before I realized there was an issue, then about 10 more times when I would try to force it to do mothership connection. Then I'm sure it rebooted itself a bunch more times overnight after I went to bed.

After I changed the TiVo Network Configuration from static to DHCP the following morning, the rebooting problem stopped. When I got home from work that same day I set the configuration back to static (and the original IP addr I had been using all along) and it continues to work fine three days later. Go figure...
SimpleTheater likes this.

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3520 of 3521 Old 03-18-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hardwired. It had been wireless for about three years, but I dropped an ethernet cable down the wall about a year ago. I did not have to reset the router (or the switch behind the AV equipment) in order to solve the problem with the TiVo. The TiVo rebooted itself at total of about a dozen times.. twice before I realized there was an issue, then about 10 more times when I would try to force it to do mothership connection. Then I'm sure it rebooted itself a bunch more times overnight after I went to bed.

After I changed the TiVo Network Configuration from static to DHCP the following morning, the rebooting problem stopped. When I got home from work that same day I set the configuration back to static (and the original IP addr I had been using all along) and it continues to work fine three days later. Go figure...
Misery loves company. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=538962
post #3521 of 3521 Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Interesting.. thanks for posting. Those posts started the same day (3/15) as my problem started. Funny thing is that only ONE of my four TiVo's was affected.. Knock-on-Wood . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page