The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #3541 of 3558 Old 09-12-2016, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Hi All
I'm having some issue with my Tivo, all out of no where! My wife called me saying that the DVR is stuck on the Welcome Starting up... screen, and nothing seems to be operational on the remote. I can't say I've experienced this problem before, but I told her to disconnect it for some time, but the problem persist.

Is there a reset but to get it out this screen or something I can do as I am stump.

Thank you in advance.

Djoel

I had this exact problem about a year ago with my Premiere. I ordered a new hard drive from WeakKnees and fixed the issue. No need to reformat their drive, just swap the drives. It was an easy process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3558 Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Hi All
I'm having some issue with my Tivo, all out of no where! My wife called me saying that the DVR is stuck on the Welcome Starting up... screen, and nothing seems to be operational on the remote. I can't say I've experienced this problem before, but I told her to disconnect it for some time, but the problem persist.

Is there a reset but to get it out this screen or something I can do as I am stump.

Thank you in advance.

Djoel
if you havent done anything with it yet, i would use spinrite on it. buy spinrite (https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm), take out the drive, connect it to a pc, boot spinrite and run it at level 2. i bet you it will fix it.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #3543 of 3558 Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brazis View Post
I had this exact problem about a year ago with my Premiere. I ordered a new hard drive from WeakKnees and fixed the issue. No need to reformat their drive, just swap the drives. It was an easy process.

I think I'll be going with this option! Hopefully, it works out well and it's not something crazy other than the HHD.

Thanks

Dan
post #3544 of 3558 Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
if you havent done anything with it yet, i would use spinrite on it. buy spinrite (https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm), take out the drive, connect it to a pc, boot spinrite and run it at level 2. i bet you it will fix it.

WOE, I'm listening to the podcast now...Did know about this until now, thanks.

Dan
post #3545 of 3558 Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Am I the only one with 4 Premieres with Lifetime having Guides that have not successfully updated since 9/12/16? They connect, negotiate, prepare, set clock, get account data, EVERYTHING except Guide Data. Thank you MacroVision!

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3546 of 3558 Old 09-17-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Am I the only one with 4 Premieres with Lifetime having Guides that have not successfully updated since 9/12/16? They connect, negotiate, prepare, set clock, get account data, EVERYTHING except Guide Data. Thank you MacroVision!
You may not be the ONLY one, but I have guide (Rovi) until 9/28.

I would watch a network connection. There have been reported problems in that area. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=543391 I only apply power to my Premiere on weekends, and today it downloaded the guide to match my Roamio boxes. I haven't participated in the threads, but I would start by a reboot of the router. I have seen network connections fail, but it's been a while. Lack of data also means Indexing doesn't happen also.

I have changed the zipcode on Premiere. My headend isn't on the list of providers, so I chose the zipcode of my cable office. Also, zap2it is dead to us. Now a second opinion is from tvguide.com, or if you're desperate use tv.com.

From your post, it's more likely your zipcode is the issue. That's a hard one, since Rovi isn't very good with many zipcodes. Usually the issue is proper lineup but listings are all TBA. Anything I can do to help, just ask. My Premiere is configured for both OTA and cable. It doesn't have a cable card, so I just use it for storage and playing with.

If you post your zipcode I will gladly run a GS on my basic Premiere.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 09-17-2016 at 05:08 PM.
post #3547 of 3558 Old 09-18-2016, 07:19 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Thanks Joe. It seems that this issue at my house was conveniently timed to coincide with the double hernia surgery I had on Wednesday. After a couple of days doing not much of anything except watching TV. the Guides disappeared on all four TiVo's. History shows the last successful download was 9/12 on each of them. Forcing a manual connection, they will prepare, negotiate, update clock, get account status, slice, dice, and julienne... everything except get the Guide listings. One time I got it to "say" it was successful, but in reality it only actually downloaded a few listings for a few channels.

My router (as well as two of the TiVo's) are upstairs. off-limits for me right now. I rebooted the router from a computer downstairs. I powered down both downstairs TiVo's to reset them. Still nothing. This only confirms what I've already known for years... anything that depends on the internet to function is inherently undependable. And for any doubters... ALL of my TiVo's are hardwired.

Zipcode is 70433... but I dunno what a "GS" is . . .

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3548 of 3558 Old 09-18-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Thanks Joe. It seems that this issue at my house was conveniently timed to coincide with the double hernia surgery I had on Wednesday. After a couple of days doing not much of anything except watching TV. the Guides disappeared on all four TiVo's. History shows the last successful download was 9/12 on each of them. Forcing a manual connection, they will prepare, negotiate, update clock, get account status, slice, dice, and julienne... everything except get the Guide listings. One time I got it to "say" it was successful, but in reality it only actually downloaded a few listings for a few channels.

My router (as well as two of the TiVo's) are upstairs. off-limits for me right now. I rebooted the router from a computer downstairs. I powered down both downstairs TiVo's to reset them. Still nothing. This only confirms what I've already known for years... anything that depends on the internet to function is inherently undependable. And for any doubters... ALL of my TiVo's are hardwired.

You can reboot a Tivo from the system menu. Good luck. The rovi data is the root cause.
post #3549 of 3558 Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GS is Guided Setup. I wouldn't do that right now. I used your zipcode on tvguide.com yesterday and your OTA listings are quite small but seem ok. There seem to be many more OTA channels on tv.com.

One other way to force a complete guide rebuild is to perform a Clear Guide and To Do List. Nothing is lost, and it has two phases. On a Premiere it will take at least an hour. I'll start it on my box and let you know when it's done. I assume you're not AT&T? Hammond or Slidell? Only zap2it lists Covington. This is another reason why a GS may be needed. Which city is on your cable bill?

Last edited by JoeKustra; 09-18-2016 at 07:52 AM.
post #3550 of 3558 Old 11-18-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My Premiere XL is freezing/rebooting when other devices reboot and reconnect to my network. The items are plugged into a switch. I just replaced the drive on my Tivo, and I just replaced the switch. This is still happening.

The switch is plugged into a power strip and the strip is plugged into a UPS. Only other two things it could be, other than just a bad Tivo, is a grounding issue on the strip/UPS or a bad ethernet cable to the Tivo (in my opinion).

Thoughts? Anyone had this happen?
post #3551 of 3558 Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
My Premiere XL is freezing/rebooting when other devices reboot and reconnect to my network. The items are plugged into a switch. I just replaced the drive on my Tivo, and I just replaced the switch. This is still happening.

The switch is plugged into a power strip and the strip is plugged into a UPS. Only other two things it could be, other than just a bad Tivo, is a grounding issue on the strip/UPS or a bad ethernet cable to the Tivo (in my opinion).

Thoughts? Anyone had this happen?
If your TiVo keep rebooting, it's probably a defective HD. You said that you replaced the drive. Is it the proper model, i.e. WD AV-GP? And, has the drive been formatted with a TiVo OS?

SlotKar
post #3552 of 3558 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post
If your TiVo keep rebooting, it's probably a defective HD. You said that you replaced the drive. Is it the proper model, i.e. WD AV-GP? And, has the drive been formatted with a TiVo OS?
replaced with a supported RED drive. WD. Drive was direct copied without a computer in a drive dock. Works great. But still did the reboot thing when the network cable was unplugged and replugged.
post #3553 of 3558 Old Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
replaced with a supported RED drive. WD. Drive was direct copied without a computer in a drive dock. Works great. But still did the reboot thing when the network cable was unplugged and replugged.
Have I already suggested you can stop doing that? This is what I used on my Premiere: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-AN0100-...8AAOSwUEVYCjg-
post #3554 of 3558 Old Today, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Have I already suggested you can stop doing that? This is what I used on my Premiere: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-AN0100-...8AAOSwUEVYCjg-
I don't actually normally unplug it. It's when other things on my network reboot. But I'm not putting my Tivo on wireless. I stream MRV a lot and I need the speed of wired. That's why I have MOCA.
post #3555 of 3558 Old Today, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Is your TiVo showing any 'Error Codes' ? If not, your issue should be posed to TiVo Support: https://support.tivo.com/SupportHomePage1 or the TiVoCommunity Forum: http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php

SlotKar
post #3556 of 3558 Old Today, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post
Is your TiVo showing any 'Error Codes' ? If not, your issue should be posed to TiVo Support: https://support.tivo.com/SupportHomePage1 or the TiVoCommunity Forum: http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php
Where would I find Error Codes?
post #3557 of 3558 Old Today, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Where would I find Error Codes?
They automatically appear...

SlotKar
post #3558 of 3558 Old Today, 12:02 PM