Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #331 of 3342 Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't have an XL and can no longer find what follows on the Tivo site but here is how to have your remote power on your TV and AVR and control the volume and mute on the AVR.
Any Tivo Peanut remote can control both your A/V Receiver and your TV power.
Your TiVo remote can control the power and volume of both your television and A/V stereo. In addition, it can control the TV INPUT button on some televisions.

To control the power, volume and mute on your TV, select Part 1: TV power, volume, and mute.

To control the volume and mute on your A/V Stereo, select Part 2: A/V volume and mute.

To control the power, volume, and mute on your A/V Stereo, return to Part 1, but use the code you selected in Part 2. You should now be able to control the power on your TV and A/V Stereo at the same time.

To control the input setting on your TV, select Part 3: TV Input.

Note: If you choose to control both your TV and A/V Stereo power simultaneously, the two may occasionally become out of sync (one turns off when the other turns on). To reset, manually turn your TV on or off to match your A/V Stereo. You may then use the remote as normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 3342 Old 04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Yep... what moxie1617 said: I have a non-XL Premiere, and the control of volume and mute of a AVR with the peanut remote goes back to the first gen TiVos if memory serves me correctly.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #333 of 3342 Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bicker,

I appreciate that you don't know... but referencing my comment as "silly" just shows that you are a fool willing to waste your hard earned cash. Go read Tivo Service description.

TIVO "Service" Description (exact language from Tivo):
"The TIVO service is the magic behind the Tivo Premiere box. A Tivo Subscription keeps your TV schedules up-to-date and ensures that your Premiere has the latest updates and upgrades. " This is the agreement I bought into when picking up all of my Tivo's over the years. I upgraded to HD because my old box was limited to SD...

This is no different than SAAS (software as a service) product models for computer software. The tivo hardware is simply an interface to access the software. Tivo could put the software on a web server, create a thin client dummy box that you plug into your TV and high speed Web connection... then charge a license fee (pending users have the bandwidth).

Wait a minute... I already pay a license fee for the software.

BG

I'll be happy to let you call me silly any time you like. All I require is a $12.95/month fee and the ability to restrict you to changing the word to something else without my permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Not that I know of. That would be silly, IMHO. You buy a product for what it is promised to do when you buy it; expecting it to do new things as time goes on is unreasonable, though it is delightful when such a thing occurs.

We just had this same discussion in the Sony BDP-S360 thread, when someone was complaining that the Blu-ray Player hasn't had online streaming capability added to it (yet), as if he was entitled to that because it was practicable and because he waanted it. The fact that people foster that kind of reasoning is mystifying. Where does that come from?

post #334 of 3342 Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigont View Post

I appreciate that you don't know... but referencing my comment as "silly" just shows that you are a fool willing to waste your hard earned cash.

No: It shows that I think your comment was silly.

You are reading into the service description words that aren't there. You're off-base; your expectations are unreasonable.
post #335 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 06:23 AM

I guess my expectations for service are simply higher than yours.

BTW - do you work for tivo?

Quote:

No: It shows that I think your comment was silly.

You are reading into the service description words that aren't there. You're off-base; your expectations are unreasonable.

post #336 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

no, he doesn't.
post #337 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
please limit posts to technical issues

Thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #338 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What's the general consensus about the Premiere units? Favorable or no?
post #339 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 AM

I love mine. I've even grown to appreciate the discovery bar.
post #340 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

A bit frustrating that it's not perfect right away. In addition to the pre-14.1c lockups (fixed now), last night I had an issue with an OTA antenna recording cutting in and out that others have reported and might be hardware and/or software (firmware?) related.

At least the limited HD-UI is stable now, albeit laggy at times. I would recommend waiting and checking back after the next software update, which should be in a couple weeks.

post #341 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

The software update released at the end of last week greatly improved stability in the HD UI. It also noticeably improved performance. The HD UI is still sluggish, but it is more tolerable; before, the HDUI was too slow to be usable. Now it is borderline usable. TiVo could've avoided some of the bad press simply by waiting four weeks for this software.

Navigating the HDUI's My Shows menu is still unbearably slow if you've got lots of recordings, because there is no title caching. Once TiVo addresses that, new HDUI will be more usable. Until then, I can't recommend the HD UI. TiVo said another update is coming in May, so you might check for a status update in another month.

If you are satisfied with the classic SD UI, then that is stable and fast on the Premiere.
post #342 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
So did it turn out to be true like some people were saying awhile back, that the OTA tuner isn't as sensitive as the one in the TiVo HD?
post #343 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

So did it turn out to be true like some people were saying awhile back, that the OTA tuner isn't as sensitive as the one in the TiVo HD?

Based on my experience, I think so. I'm hoping this will be adjusted in a future software upgrade, if possible.

post #344 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The software update released at the end of last week greatly improved stability in the HD UI. It also noticeably improved performance. The HD UI is still sluggish, but it is more tolerable; before, the HDUI was too slow to be usable. Now it is borderline usable. TiVo could've avoided some of the bad press simply by waiting four weeks for this software.

Navigating the HDUI's My Shows menu is still unbearably slow if you've got lots of recordings, because there is no title caching. Once TiVo addresses that, new HDUI will be more usable. Until then, I can't recommend the HD UI. TiVo said another update is coming in May, so you might check for a status update in another month.

If you are satisfied with the classic SD UI, then that is stable and fast on the Premiere.

The my Show list is very quick on the seven Premieres I'm currently using. I can quickly page down through dozens of titles.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #345 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The my Show list is very quick on the seven Premieres I'm currently using. I can quickly page down through dozens of titles.

That's not the case on any of mine. I get a "working" circle every time I page down. Once I make my way through six "working" circles to page through the entire list, then I can scroll through much faster...until I exit My Shows. Then the process starts over.
post #346 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:

It isn't a matter of "higher" or "lower" but rather is based on what was actually promised.

Quote:

No.
post #347 of 3342 Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM

I'm planning on buying in the next couple of days. (I already have my Mcard.) How does Tivo handle the updates on a 'new' machine manufactured who knows when? Can I expect my machine to get the latest updates the first night?
post #348 of 3342 Old 04-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Or the night after, perhaps, but you won't have to wait much longer than that.
post #349 of 3342 Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

I'm planning on buying in the next couple of days. (I already have my Mcard.) How does Tivo handle the updates on a 'new' machine manufactured who knows when? Can I expect my machine to get the latest updates the first night?

I believe the Premiere does a software check/update during initial setup, which is a one to two hour process.

btw, during this process only a day to two's worth of program info is loaded, so don't expect to set up a lot of season passes the first day. Also, mcard installs are often fraught with frustration, so hang in there! Be prepared for your cable company not knowing the correct process or have all the info needed when attempting to pair the new card.

Good luck Richard - let us know what you think when it's up and running.

post #350 of 3342 Old 04-22-2010, 05:52 AM

Mark,

Apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

please limit posts to technical issues

Thanks

post #351 of 3342 Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I believe the Premiere does a software check/update during initial setup, which is a one to two hour process.

btw, during this process only a day to two's worth of program info is loaded, so don't expect to set up a lot of season passes the first day. Also, mcard installs are often fraught with frustration, so hang in there! Be prepared for your cable company not knowing the correct process or have all the info needed when attempting to pair the new card.

Good luck Richard - let us know what you think when it's up and running.

The seven Premiers i set up all took under an hour to setup including the software updates and channel lineup, reboots etc.

LED DLP

post #352 of 3342 Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Seven? Wow!

Is there anything significantly different about the setup of a Premiere versus a S3/HD?
post #353 of 3342 Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Seven? Wow!

Is there anything significantly different about the setup of a Premiere versus a S3/HD?

No there isn't.

LED DLP

post #354 of 3342 Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 PM

I have the XL, and what a previous poster said is correct...it is sluggish and laggy. Honestly, I am a huge TIVO guy, and I am disappointed that this TIVO is actually slower than my other my Series 3 HD.

I am confident it will get better with time, and happy it only took 4 visits from mediacom to get a cablecard installed.
post #355 of 3342 Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 PM

hmm this is my first tivo and so far loving it. I had verizon install the cablecard and it took about 20 minutes and all is well.
post #356 of 3342 Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

My experience with the Premier can be summed up like this "A TiVo that only a fanboy could love."

With the HD UI, it might just be the slowest DVR I've ever used (if you know of a slower one, please share). Add in the fact that not all the "high traffic" areas have been updated and switching between UIs is a little jolting, and you have yourselves an abomination.

It's sad to say, but TiVo would've been better off only updating the hardware and leaving this software in the oven longer to cook.

Bottom line is TiVo is charging the same price as they were for the TiVo HD and all they added in the last 4 years, basically, was an HD UI that many will decide to turn off.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #357 of 3342 Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
That may be true but it does have the potential for much more, because of it's increased CPU power.
Personally I'd look it as you paid the same as a Tivo HD but should have the potential for more.
To me the whole HD UI is just eye candy anyway, I watch programs not UI but to each his own. Even with HD UI disabled you still have much faster transfers with the Premiere(which I never use anyway). Personally I see no reason for me to switch from a HD but then again I'm totally satisfied with my HD.
Fanboy, no but I do like things that work
post #358 of 3342 Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

If you don't care about the UI, then why not just use a cable company DVR?

No, the entire experience is what matters, not specific features like a fast processor.

Believe me I wanted the TiVo Premier to be great. I was a long time TiVo owner, bought the first HD TiVo for $1000 and had two Series 3s that I paid $800 each for. I don't mind paying for the best and the TiVo Premier isn't it.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #359 of 3342 Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

If you don't care about the UI, then why not just use a cable company DVR? .

Because the cable company DVR can't do Netfix and has a crappy remote.

I have a Comcast DVR upstairs as a part of a package, but it's my goal to never use that POS. The TiVo Premiere, even in it's not-quite-finished state, is much better than the cable company DVR, and better than the direcTV HR22 it replaced at my house.

post #360 of 3342 Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

It's sad to say, but TiVo would've been better off only updating the hardware and leaving this software in the oven longer to cook.

Yes, but from all appearances the software guys were told to ship the product, for whatever reason. I would imagine that shouting matches ensued, but the hardware was collecting dust in the warehouse and they got overruled. Happens all the time as the early adopters take the arrows - from what I've read the Series3 was pretty buggy when it went out the door too. I'm disappointed that there's not a whole lot new in the product feature-wise, though, and that seems to be the main complaint from all the S3/HD owners who might've been looking to upgrade.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page